Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 1,367

MsJubilee

I beat Death Mark, and wow! What a disappointment, the game never reaches its full potential with any of the ideas it had, only in chapter 2&3 (3 is the best one out of them all, short and sweet)is where this game reached its peak. After that, the game goes downhill from there. Shame, the backstories and designs of these spirits are actually quite good.

There is nothing worse out there than a disappointing game that had potential to be simply fantastic, which Death Mark is not.
I hope one day i can get a visual novel similar to Junj Ito's work, but i think it's never gonna happen.

I've died,there is no more me.

Finished reading God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand. Started on Grappler Baki.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

SNES64DD

I recently finished the main story of Valkyria Chronicles 4. Highly recommend the game if people haven't played it already.

SNES64DD

Switch Friend Code: SW-6514-9557-3207 | My Nintendo: SNES64DD | Nintendo Network ID: retsamidej | Twitter:

DenDen

Finished final fantasy adventures, and almost doen with secret of mana
Secret of mana 2 (trials of mana) is next!

Top 10 games
1 secret of mana
2 majoras mask
3 breath of the Wild
4 final fantasy 9
5 Octopath traveler
6 Lufia II
7 super mario world
8 bravely default
9 pikmin 2
10 Diddy kong racing

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Bunkerneath

Completed Iconclasts, it was good little game, and nice storyline (does get a bit too in depth for some people with too much conversation but I like a good storyline)

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Daniel36

Dungeon Village - Said it before, will say it again, I really shouldn't like this game as much as I do, but I do. Finished it twice now actually, which isn't that hard, but it encourages you to get a high score, which in this game actually works.

The game is pretty small, looks and feels (and is) a mobile game, but I can't help it, it's fun. First game ever where I wanted to get a better high score.

If you take the plunge, you will find out that the game isn't random in which heroes will visit you. They will always be the same ones from start to finish, but once you have unlocked a class in one save you have it unlocked in the next.

It's not worth the full price, and I would probably give it a 5.5/10, but I still do not regret buying it. It's nice to play for a small bit if you have a little bit of downtime. My sons seem to like it too, so there's that.

There should be more games like this one, preferably with a more serious tone. Now, maybe I should dust off my Wii and play some My Life as a King some more.

Daniel36

Heavyarms55

So I just finished Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization. And I have to say I really enjoyed it! I was laughing all the time throughout the story. And the story did cover some interesting ideas with VR and AI. The humor in the game might not be for everyone, but it clicked for me! The game play itself is solid but in the main story/single player mode, it is entirely possible to become ludicrously over powered. I can't overstate it. At level 53 I defeated a boss enemy that was level 100 and protected by 8 mobs at level 90! It was the kind of enemy that was supposed to be an obstacle to avoid, not fight. But that is entirely because I am the kind of JRPG player that loves to do piles and piles of optional side content and this game throws it all at you, assuming you wont do it all. The Switch version at least also suffers from painful loading times and the A and B buttons are swapped because I assume they kept the Playstation button layout.

Despite the mechanical flaws, unintentional humor and the inherent corniness of Sword Art Online, I had an absolute blast playing the game. The game fixes one of my main issues with the anime in that the side characters and supporting cast are all relevant, unlike the anime which tends to toss aside supporting characters once their story arc is finished. All of them in the game continue on with lots of screen time and I enjoy that a lot. Further, the SAO games do not follow the anime 1 to 1. In fact they are only loosely based around the same general ideas and cast. Which I like, because it means you're playing through a largely original story, not just a carbon copy of the anime where you have to push buttons.

When it comes to game adaptations of anime, they are in abundance. And most are total trash. SAO Hollow Realization however shows us that that doesn't always have to be the case!

I absolutely intend to get the next game when it comes to Switch this fall!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Tyranexx

I've had a small handful of completions in the past week or so.

Pokemon Ultra Sun
Platform: 3DS

I reached the end credits for this but still need to properly tackle the post-game, so I'll refrain from a full write-up for now and just leave some broad impressions.

I enjoyed the game overall, but most of the non-story additions didn’t really seem necessary to me. Some of the new side quests were interesting and unique, but not mind-blowing. I also enjoyed Mantine Surfing; I felt that it was a nice alternative to travel between Alola’s islands. Other extras like the Alola Photo Club or the Pikachu Valley could have been so much more; the photo club especially felt jammed down my throat at times. The more talkative Rotom Dex, while enjoyable at first, got a little annoying after awhile.

Plot-wise, I liked some of the changes, but most of the changes before the main plot’s climax were negligible. The Ultra Recon Squad, while they technically served a purpose, seemed like they were interrupting the game’s flow with unnecessary cutscenes. While I liked the resolution of the plot here for the most part compared to the original game, I also felt that some of the things I liked so much about the plot in Pokemon Sun were sacrificed here as well. They did expand significantly on one character’s personal growth.

My impressions on the game could definitely change after I play through the post-game, but this sequel/follow-up seems a little lacking even when compared to some of the previous “third” versions that weren’t full-on sequels. I feel like we’ve been spoiled by BW2 in this regard. In some ways, it feels like the original Sun/Moon were rushed and that the Ultra games were what we should have received the first time around. They were pretty blatant about the "this area is incomplete" concept this time.

Mega Man X
Platform: SNES Classic

So I apparently HAD played this at some point back in the day as the opening stage caused some flashbacks, but I don't believe kid me ever got past it. XD It might've been because I didn't realize you could jump out of that first pit....

Positives

• The music. Oh sweet Nirvana, the music! The Mega Man series still contains some of my favorite video game tunes to this day, and this game was no exception.
  • The platforming was, on the whole, very enjoyable. Overall, I found it solid and tight. There were a couple of stages like the tower in B. Kuwanger's stage and a certain infamous section of Sigma Stage 1 that overstayed their welcome though.
  • Most of the stages themselves looked wonderful in the 16-bit aesthetic and were quite engaging. Yep, I'm a sucker for the graphics of this time period. XD

Neutral

• The difficulty seems kind of all over the place here. I ran into a sub-boss early on (the bubble dude in Spark Mandrill's stage) that I had a HECK of a time beating and almost caused me to put down the game permanently. The more upgrades and weapons you collect, the easier (in general) that the game becomes, which is fine. Still, some stages seemed to have sudden difficulty spikes that didn't always sit well with me.
  • Look, I know Sigma is the end boss, that he's supposed to be hard. But still, his pattern is almost TOO random most of the time. I took advantage of his final form's hands when I could, but I was still sometimes knocked off.

Negatives

• This is admittedly a nitpick, but why can enemy projectiles go through platforms, barriers, etc., but your weapon shots cannot? This is a sticking point with me in a lot of games like this that allow it.
  • Another nitpick: some of the physics seem a bit wonky, but this was something I didn't notice much.

Overall, I enjoyed this game, but I had to be in the right mood to play it. I typically play games to relax, not have an aneurysm. I was considering picking up the Mega Man X Legacy Collection, but I think I'll hold off for now. This wasn't as hard as my limited experiences with the earlier Mega Man games, but it also was more difficult than I thought it'd be.

Kirby Super Star
Platform: SNES Classic

This was my first ever proper Kirby game. Guess what? The series has earned itself a new fan. I think it was the perfect platformer to play when I didn't want to deal with the above. Not that it was never difficult at all, but the game was easier to relax with.

Positives

• This game is excellent at instructing series beginners on what to do. The explanations are nice and concise.
  • Pop Star, Dreamland, et all are beautiful. The environments, enemy designs, object designs, etc. have all aged well. I think I mentioned that I like 16-bit graphics....
  • Most of the main game settings were fun and engaging. Spring Breeze was admittedly a little barebones (apparently it's a remake of the original Kirby's Dream Land), but it also served as a perfect intro game. By far my favorite main game settings/stages were Revenge of Meta Knight and Dyna Blade.
  • Copy abilities are amazing and fun to mess around with, as is creating helpers.
  • The two sub-games, while there isn't much to them, were also enjoyable.
  • Many of the bosses, while easy for the most part, were quite fun to fight. My favorite was the Computer Virus boss as the fight is set up almost like a traditional RPG with its own twist.

Neutral

• The music was pleasant enough, but none of the tracks really stood out to me either.
  • While I liked the exploration in The Great Cave Offensive, I started getting a little bored with it after awhile. Some of the treasures were unique and were neat throwbacks to other Nintendo properties, but overall I felt that this mode was a bit long in the tooth.
  • Gourmet Race was a unique take on the racing genre, but I still didn't enjoy it very much. There's nothing particularly wrong with it; I'm just not really into racing games. This didn't hold my attention for long at all.

Negatives

• This isn't a true negative, more of a nitpick. Some later modes seemed to reuse some assets and made a few of the environments feel like retreads.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. I'm now actively looking at picking up what some say are the better games in the series.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun (post-game), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

CanisWolfred

@Tyranexx The first Mega Man X game did notoriously get easier as you progressed, since it just gives you so much that a lot of challenges quickly become trivialized, even late in the game. That's part of what I like about the MMX games - they're hard, but they also give you the tools to make things easier if you explore. You mentioned how you play games to relax. I play games to explore. On that note, MMX is easily my favorite in the franchise.

I was also thinking of starting up Ultra Sun (are maybe Ultra Moon, I have more time to play at night). I'll try to keep your criticisms in mind. I went into Sun/Moon with sky-high expectations, only to be quickly left disappointed and never finished them.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Tyranexx

@CanisWolfred I really think some of my problem was the order in which I went through the Maverick stages. I loosely followed a guide and collected a lot of the needed extras, but I still think it was a mistake to tackle Spark Mandrill's stage at its suggestion right after Chill Penguin's, or my first stage; I think I should've opted for another and returned later.

The sub-boss I'm referring to is this pain in the [insert word of choice here]:
Untitled

After that, the going wasn't too bad overall until the Sigma stages, but I expected those to be difficult.

I really enjoyed Pokemon Sun when I played it and could easily overlook most of the problems that really turned others off the game (barring the handholding early on which, no, hasn't really been fixed), but I don't feel that this game really addressed some of those issues other than the plot changes that I mentioned (which were also a mixed bag here). In fact, it seems to add a few problems, but that's counterbalanced with some new things I did like. Even so, the only extras I really spent any significant time with were Poke Pelago and (at first) Festival Plaza. Those at least have uses; things like the Alola Photo Club are purely cosmetic and could've had more potential.

One of my other complaints about the original Sun/Moon was the lack of a significant post-game, but I've heard it's been expanded in these. We'll see, I suppose.

I'd still encourage you to play one of the two Ultra games if you're a series fan, but I wouldn't buy it at full price. Thankfully, my copy was a gift.

Edited on by Tyranexx

BacklogBlues

I just beat Resident Evil Remake and loved it. The graphics are amazing in my opinion and if you download it to the Switchs' internal memory the load times aren't to bad. If you like Resident Evil games or have never played one i highly recommend this game.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
SHADOWRUN: SEGA GENESIS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

RR529

Arca's Path (PS4/VR) - A "Marble Maze" (like Monkey Ball or Marble it Up I believe, though I've played neither) style game from Rebellion, the developers more famous for the Sniper Elite series, made specifically for VR.

Pros:

• Gameplay sees you moving the ball solely via headtracking (the ball follows a cursor in the middle of your FOV, the further you look away from it the faster it'll go in that direction, and you can completely bring it to a halt by putting the cursor directly over the ball), and not only does this work really well, but it's also a kind of control scheme that really only works in VR, giving you a new way to play.
  • I't has a nice mix of platforming style obstacles (jumps to make, moving plaforms to board, etc.) & light puzzle solving (switches to hit, blocks to push, etc.), and introduces new elements often enough to keep from getting stale.
  • Content wise the story consists of 25 levels (framed with the ocassional comic book style cutscene), that contain a number of optional crystals to collect (some are along the way, while others will require you to take a more dangerous path to obtain), and then there is also a time trial version of every stage if you're really up for a challenge.
  • It has a simple graphical style that really holds up (none of the blurry scenery in the distance that more graphically intense VR games can have, at least on a base PS4), and it cleverly works pop-in into the aesthetic (in the context of the game you're supposed to be exploring digital space, so things have a very purposeful computery polygonal look, and they work elements that pop up as you get close to them into this). There are a few places with some cool looking verticality.

Cons:

• There's not much chance to look around as you need to be focused on the ball (although you can press the touch pad on the controller, the DS4's only use here, to pause the action to look around).
  • All levels look similar aesthetically (mostly just pallet swapped colors, with things mostly getting more bleak the further in you get).
  • The music. It has more of an ambiet vibe with not much sound, and when it does come into play there is some pleasant sounds early on, but later on there's a lot of mechanical whirring & clanking, and the screeches of a dial-up modem being murdered.

Not a must play game, but overall I thought it was a pretty good for the price ($20 full price), and a nice experience seeing a genre not usually associated with VR working well with it. Ultimately worth bringing out the headset for.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

CanisWolfred

@Tyranexx I already bought UltraSun and UltraMoon when they originally launched, but I wanted to finish Sun/Moon first...which never happened. I think I'll skip to the Ultra variants. While I liked Black/White's story and pacing, Pokemon has always been more about going on an adventure to me, so I'm usually making up my own story as I go along. I didn't get very far in Sun, but the hand-holding didn't really bother me - if the game's gonna treat me like I'm an idiot, I'll just take that idea and run with it. Tends to lead to some fun scenarios. I think my problem was that it just felt...stale? What little changes they made to the traditional Pokemon formula kneecapped the pacing. Oh, and there were too many cutscenes. I don't mind them setting up characters and introducing us to the world and/or gameplay mechanics slowly in games, but I didn't feel like much was ever really going on in the early cutscenes in spite of the fact that I have to sit there and watch them before I could do anything. Granted, I had similar issues with Pokemon X and Black 2, but Sun was the worst I'd seen in terms of the length of the scenes themselves vs. the amount of information I was actually able to gleam from them.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tyranexx

@CanisWolfred I'm not gonna pretend that I play Pokemon games for the story at this point - I now know that there's much, MUCH better out there - but I've always found them serviceable at the very least. The only Pokemon game that I almost stopped playing due to the pacing was Pokemon Y; that long gap between the first and second gym in that game was rough. While some parts of that story weren't bad, I still consider it to be the poorest one in the series overall. This is from someone who's been playing since the beginning and habitually picks up one of the original two releases and then the third version/one of the sequels. There were things that I liked about Kalos, but the story definitely wasn't one of them.

Yep, the games are still pretty cutscene-heavy. I'm assuming you didn't read the spoiler up there, but I touch upon that a bit. Honestly I feel like the original games had slightly LESS interruptions, though some of that may be looking through rose-colored glasses.

At least Kukui doesn't barge right into your house this time. Your mom even makes note of his tendency to do that at one point.

Dogorilla

@Tyranexx To be honest I thought the plot of USUM was worse than in the original SM. I don't remember everything about it but didn't they get rid of the Team Skull working for the Aether Foundation twist? I thought that was pretty cool in the original game, I don't get why they changed it.
Overall USUM had some nice additions, especially the extra battles and mini-sidequests throughout the game, but it felt like a largely insubstantial and unnecessary rehash of SM. The post-game was decent but it's exactly the kind of thing that could just have been added as DLC, which is what I hope they'll do for future games instead of releasing more third/ultra versions.

Edited on by Dogorilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

CanisWolfred

@Tyranexx I think my issues with the cutscenes had more to do with the content and pacing of those scenes rather than the oerall narrative. I didn't get that far, after all. I just felt like the scenes were too long and a lot of them didn't feel all that relevant, so I just wanted to skip through them as quickly as possible.

I also realized that at the time I was playing it, I was trying to play it alongside my brother for the first time since we were kids, but he wound up having way more time to play it than I did. He beat the elite four by the time I got to the first gym! It got so bad, he eventually offered to play it for me, just so we could get to the point where we could battle eachother. I honestly can't remember if I took him up on that offer...either way, that experience probably colored my opinion of Pokemon Sun/Moon somewhat. I'm glad I remembered that. I'll be playing this on my own time, so it should be a different experience.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tyranexx

@Dogorilla In regards to the plot, I think I did like the one in Sun more overall. That twist is still there, but they did turn both Lusamine and Guzma into anti-heroes instead of straight villains. This gave Lusamine's story a better ending overall, but I thought the twist where she was controlled/fused with Nihilego was more interesting.

I agree that USUM were decent in their own right and added some neat new (but mostly unnecessary) things, but it did kinda feel like a needless rehash half the time.

@CanisWolfred Not trying to scare you away, but USUM isn't much better in the cutscene department. Heck, they even added a few that mostly served as filler in my opinion that had to do with some of the new story changes. To be fair, they didn't seem TOO wordy IMO, but I've played Golden Sun recently.

I tend to play most games at my own pace anymore to help curb backlog issues. The negative to this is that I don't often get games when they come out, but do get around to them a little while later (and sometimes cheaper).

BacklogBlues

I just beat Q.U.B.E 2 and it's the best puzzle game i've played in years. I only had to refer to the web on about 9 of the 80+ puzzles. Highly Recommended if you like puzzle games.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
SHADOWRUN: SEGA GENESIS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

RR529

Katamari Damacy Reroll (Switch) - My first foray into this series in which you must roll up a ball to a certain size before time is up (though some levels have other objectives) by rolling up everything & anything from food, to people, to entire landmasses.

Pros:

• Despite now being a concept over a decade old at this point, I haven't seen anything else quite like it. It's novel, and pretty satisfying to end a level scooping up large buildings and the like with ease, after starting it being afraid of a cat, lol.
  • I really enjoy that it keeps a catalogue of everything you've ever rolled up, complete with a humorous blurb accompanying each one. I love little touches like that.
  • I'm not usually one to pay attention to music in games, but this one has some very upbeat and catchy tunes that play as you work your way through a level.
  • It has a unique sense of humour, and I found myself chuckling pretty often.

Cons:

• While I got used to them, I felt the controls were a tad clunky/unintuitive.
  • Unlike the rest of the music in the game, the soundtrack in the object gallery area gets a bit grating after awhile, plus there's no way to tell which objects gallery entries you've already viewed (new objects aren't marked as new, for example).

Overall it was a pretty fun time and am glad I gave it a go. Took me a few tries to clear that final level (where you have to make your Katamari 300M big), but once I did clear it I absolutely crushed it (made it over 800M big, which was really satisfying).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

NintendoByNature

Feel like it's been a while since i posted here. But.....i beat stranger things 3 the game. It was decent. Pretty easy going but every now and then they threw some seriously hard stuff at you. Like out of nowhere. It followed the tv show season 3 to a tee so if you like the show youll like the game. A little pricy for a 5 to 6 hour game though. You can maybe get 8 by doing side quests which i didn't do. Overall, might be worth your time when price drops. I just love the show so i took a gamble on it. Not dissaponted but not blown away either

NintendoByNature

RR529

Knack (PS4) - A first party launch mascot beat-em up/platformer.

Pros:

• From a mechanical standpoint the gameplay is solid, and while it's unwillingness to shake things up may get a bit long in the tooth by game's end, it there is decent fun to be had here if you know what to expect going in.
  • It's a fair length for this type of game, consisting of 13 Worlds, each consisting of 3 to 5 levels, plus a couple of unlockable modes such as an arena battle thing that I haven't bothered with. There's also tons of hidden unlockables & a few different difficulty settings which can add longevity if you're really able to get into it.
  • I actually quite liked the boss battles on offer. Yeah, there were like only four of the things, but from a gameplay perspective they were a highlight.
  • It has a vibrant Pixar-esque graphical style that's mostly pleasing to look at.
  • In one of the most random moments I've experienced in recent memory, during the entire end credits scene Knack shakes his booty to the song "How Ya' Like me Now", which was so absurd I couldn't help but smile.

Cons:

• The story & worldbuilding are crap. Granted, a deep story is rarely ever an important aspect of a mascot platformer, so it's really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but because it's a Sony game and thus a cinematic focus must be inserted into it, they add plenty of cutscenes with a lot of undercooked worldbuilding and character moments that you really don't care about. Luckily you can skip all cutscenes if you really want to.
  • While it has a solid base for it's combat, it does get pretty samey by game's end. You can obtain unlockable combat elements by obtaining collectables (such as a "Combo Meter" that increases your damage output with the more enemies you defeat without getting hit yourself), which can add a bit more of a risk/reward factor, but you don't unlock any of those until at least the halfway point (and that's if you managed to collect all the parts). Even being able to pick up enemy weapons or objects in the environment would have helped to spice up the combat, but there's really little of that. It's nothing really anything that the game does wrong, just obvious things it could have done to be better.
  • I wish it had more platforming, because that's where it seemed more willing to shake things up. I'd say it had a 80/20 split in favor of combat, but when it did switch to more of a platforming focus, then you got things like chase sequences, little mazes to work your way through on a time limit, or scenerios where you had to guide youself through the air avoiding obstacles.
  • More of a personal disappointment, but I'm suprised how western it all felt as a game coming from their Japan Studio (fron the art direction, to the characters, & world). Don't get me wrong as I love some western games (like God of War, Spider Man, Titanfall 2, and more), but I was expecting something a bit more Japanese coming from a Japanese studio, and honestly had it not been for the Japan Studio logo at boot up, I'd have assumed that it was made by one of Sony's western devs. Even in the credits it seemed like some of their western figures had some real power into designing the game (I think a Mark Cerny was the main writer/director behind the game), which is something their Japanese figures seem to lack when it comes to their western developed games.
  • Knack himself is pretty ugly. Not hard to see why he didn't take off.

Overall it's not the terrible game that the internet makes it out to be, but it is a pretty average experience. I'll probably try out the sequel one day because I hear it's a bit better.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic