Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 501 to 508 of 508

Megas75

I marathoned the Zelda series right before BOTW came out, and I remember being severely underwhelmed by Windwaker, which has become a franchise darling in the same FFIX has(it's underrated but not really because everyone and their freaking moms say it). Sailing sucks, it's really tedious getting through the whole ocean, dungeons were really easy, and the final dungeon/endgame was really garbage

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

Snaplocket

Super Mario Odyssey - It's ironic I'm putting this here because before I said this was better then Xenoblade 2 but now? Not so much. I really enjoyed this the first time I played it but returning to another playthrough, not so much. The platforming is too easy to really feel satisfying and most of the fun challenges don't show up until the postgame. Cappy is cool but after seeing all the gimmicks, they lack punch. If the game wasn't gonna put effort into the story, then there shouldn't be so many cutscenes. Even the postgame doesn't feel very satisfying since the power moons ultimately mean NOTHING in the postgame and aren't worth the effort. I still consider this an 8 out of 10 gem but out of all the 3D Mario platformers, this might be my least favorite. I'd rather play 3D World, Sunshine, the Galaxy games, maybe 64 (haven't played it for 6 six years), and I know I'm gonna receive a lot of hate for this but I'd even rather play 3D Land. Also, this game has one of the worst endings in any Mario game. It makes the whole game feel completely pointless.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

LuckyLand

Super Mario Odyssey is a very good game, but Super Mario Galaxy 1 is so much better. It is more entertaining, it is more crazy, its structure serves the game better and makes it more replayable (this is true for every other Mario game too except Odyssey), and I really don't like the art style they used for Mario Odyssey, it is almost completely out of place in a Mario game and a lot less pleasant than the classic one. There are many good things in this game, but most of them were a given for a Mario game, something I expect there must be in a game like this.
I was used to outstanding, unbelievable Mario games that surprised and excited me in so many ways, this one is good, but not much more than that.
But at least it is not as bad and disappointing as Mario Galaxy 2 was.
PS: I liked the ending though. It was fun and one of the few unexpected things I found in this game.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Snaplocket

@LuckyLand My issue with the ending isn't the final gameplay sequence but more the fact it makes the entire journey feel pointless.

LuckyLand

@Snaplocket I have always felt like Mario games are pointless story-wise, so for me Mario Odyssey ending was just a way to make fun of that in an unexpected and creative way.
I love Mario Galaxy much more than I like Odyssey, but the ending is much better in Odyssey in my opinion. It is the perfect ending for a Mario game for me because it really captures the spirit of those games. We probably just have completely different tastes in that regard.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Snaplocket

@LuckyLand They were only "pointless" in context of the whole series. It was never really that way in the actual games. (at least until New Super Mario bros. Wii and Galaxy 2) The ending is as far away from "perfect" as possible.

Edited on by Snaplocket

8-Bit_Superman

@LuckyLand I'm the opposite, I couldn't get into Galaxy at all. I tried Galaxy for a couple hours, then later tried Galaxy 2 thinking I was missing something but I just couldn't do it. The whole micro planet gravity thing was awful. I've never had less fun just moving a character around, and in turn I couldn't bring myself to keep playing.

Signatures are for Jerks

Switch Friend Code: SW-6759-7977-8362 | My Nintendo: owendershot | Nintendo Network ID: Hendershot

subpopz

@8-Bit_Superman I feel the same way about Galaxy. I've given it more than a fair chance, trying it multiple times over the years and I've really tried to like it, but I just can't. After a couple hours with it, I'm just done with it.

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic