Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 181 to 200 of 413

Octane

Meowpheel wrote:

To be fair, pretty much everything said in this thread is entirely subjective.

Octane

Haru17

@Yellowtails Thing is gameplay is more than combat, and Super Paper Mario's puzzles and secrets were a big step up with the dimension swapping mechanic.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

shaneoh

@skywake
Going by the metacritic list, I can't say PH is underrated or overrated, seems rather spot on. I enjoyed it. Not as much as quite a few other Zelda games, but it was good.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

roy130390

@Snaplocket I believe that what Octane quoted was directed to the people that are taking it personal so that they can understand this is entirely subjective, and that the opinions of the others about their favourite games shouldn't affect them since people are talking about why they THINK those games aren't as good (or even bad), and not assuring that they are bad games (at least the most reasonable, educated people). It could be also directed to the people that assure to know the game's quality.

I could be wrong though, but even so, I don't see a problem with his comment.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

kkslider5552000

skywake wrote:

For example I really liked Kid Icarus Uprising

I don't disagree, but everytime I think of the jokes that don't work in the game, it is baffling to me that anyone could like it. :V

Pit asking "Are we there yet?" too much as if that's a funny running gag is the Metroid Other M of comedy writing. It is legitimately painful. There's good comedy in the game, but when it fails, it fails harder than most Nintendo games could fail at anything.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

I loved the writing in Kid Icarus: Uprising. What I didn't like was trying to pay attention to the dialogue AND fend off waves of enemies at the same time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haru17

@Ralizah Prepare for Titanfall.

veeflames

LOL, I thought Kid Icarus: Uprising's humor was nearly perfect. It was a hilarious game from beginning to end and there were simply NO cheesy moments. Like, none at all. In fact, the humor was what made me play the same levels again and again AND AGAIN. I need to see that kind of humor in a Nintendo game that's not really Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario.

And I thought Super Paper Mario was downright fantastic. It's not an RPG, but it sure as heck is a Paper Mario game. The humor is there. The story is easily the best in the PM series. The puzzles, when executed right, are pretty memorable (Figuring out that Merlee's Mansion had a catch is one of the highlights of my gaming life haha). Even with the somewhat ugly visuals (too many shapes and edges, bleck), I really fail to figure out why people don't like the game simply because it's not exactly traditional.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

I've only played the first Uncharted, and here's what I'll say. The combat and platforming were well designed and the story was good.

But it wasn't a mind-blowing experience in any category. The collectables didn't do anything. I hate quicktime events, as to me they feel like they replace what looks like a genuinely fun experience. And I never really felt like I was on an adventure, but instead on scripted rails.

Most others games I play nowadays have something of a "wow" period, but Uncharted didn't have that at all.

It's still better than some Telltale game or whatever. The first Uncharted plays up every Indiana Jones cliche so hard, that it really does feel like a Hollywood movie at times. Grant, not to the degree that I ever feel like I'm watching more than playing, but I just got done watching 4 great movies this month, so I was really in a cinematic mood. And that's the thing, I feel like these games really had their place in the industry, and considering when it came out, there wasn't much like it, and it was when realistic HD graphics were new, I can see why a lot of people were blown away by it. Especially now that movies has so much CG nowadays.

Just thought I'd give an alternate perspective.

@roy130390 I'm glad you understood my post, since I left two or three sentences out of it that I didn't notice until now.

@skywake That's pretty much the point I've gotten to with games. I still have some resentment for games that have little to no gameplay in them, but that's more because gaming is too expensive to warrant giving such a subjective experience the time & energy I'd need to refine my tastes there. It's like, if a game's story sucks, I might still still enjoy the gameplay, and I usually know what to look for beforehand. For TV, movies, and other purely artist experiences, I can't really trust the opinions of the masses, because the experience overall is too subjective. I'd have to actually spend time with it, and I can't really afford to buy a full season of a Telltale game, or a bunch of walking sims just to figure out which ones are worth it. Hell, I refined my tastes in video games rentals and rampant piracy, and now both options aren't nearly as convenient here...

Simply put, aside from a few genres that I'm dismissing offhand out of principle rather than merit, I do feel that I can just chill. I saw a lot of stuff at E3 that I turned my nose at, but I saw just as much, if not more that had me excited. I guess I'd rather just focus on those from now on. I mean, a lot of that angst before was born out of the desire talk about something, and everyone just seemed to be talking about games that didn't interest me. So...I guess I can't really be too mad at them, since I still got some enjoyment in the end.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Sneaky_Beagle

I've heard quite a few people say that Tetris DS is one of the best games on the system, but I don't see the appeal at all. The new modes felt really gimmicky and had little-to-no replay value.

I enjoyed Meteos significantly more. To this day, that's probably my favorite puzzler.

Sneaky_Beagle

iKhan

I like Mario 64. It's probably the reason I'm a Nintendo fan today. But as far as level design goes, it's the worst of the 3D Marios. I don't agree when people say it hasn't been surpassed, because IMO, Galaxy surpassed it and then some.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

I like Mario 64. It's probably the reason I'm a Nintendo fan today. But as far as level design goes, it's the worst of the 3D Marios. I don't agree when people say it hasn't been surpassed, because IMO, Galaxy surpassed it and then some.

Banjo Kazooie more-or-less surpassed it 2 years later so...yeah. I mean, I think that should be obvious. It was Nintendo's first fully 3d game, I think, ever? So the idea that they had better level design...well you'd better hope so. Nintendo should fail as a company if they can't make better levels than a 3D game in 1996.

I mean, I don't like Sunshine as much but it's not because of the level design.

iKhan

@kkslider5552000

I've heard multiple people say Mario 64 has the best level design in the series.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

Snaplocket wrote:

@kkslider5552000 Personally I think the 3d mario games, PS1 Spyro and Crash games, and the Ape Escape series are all WAY better then Banjo Kazooie. (I think it's ________ )

What's that? You put a blank space there instead of a word that exists!

(also after playing Crash 1, lol no)

CanisWolfred

Snaplocket wrote:

@kkslider5552000 Personally I think the 3d mario games, PS1 Spyro and Crash games, and the Ape Escape series are all WAY better then Banjo Kazooie. (I think it's overrated)

If we were talking about Banjo-Tooie, I'd be right there with you, actually. B-K did a good job of giving you a lot to do and explore without bogging the player down too much and killing the pacing - it was the natural evolution of Super Mario 64, at least from what I experienced. But B-T just...had way too much. Too many collectables, too many different ideas competing for attention. And just...too many potetial sollutions to puzzles that were often obscure to begin with. Basically, I only needed a guide to get the last couple Jiggies in B-K, but I don't think I could've gotten through the second world without looking stuff up, if I wasn't getting lost, I was getting stuck on stuff that I didn't have proper access to yet, but the game didn't tell me I couldn't use it (but there was plenty of other stuff where it went out of its way to tell me I didn't to come back with a certain ability...every time I interacted with said object...whether I meant to or not...). It just became exhausting - a common trend for Rare's games thereafter.

Then again, I'll admit that while I love Super Mario 64, the last set of levels (specifically Tick-Tock Clock, Tall-Tall Mountain, and Rainbow Ride) were pretty awful, IMO. I guess it was trying to be more of a platformer by adding a lot more falling death-traps and ledges, but I'm glad they were essentially optional, especially in the DS version, where the controls made them utterly insufferable.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Yellowtails wrote:

I still would rather play Super Mario 64/64 DS than 3D World any day.

I still would rather play Mario 64 DS's minigames than Mario 64 DS any day.

I am not kidding at all. Those minigames were secretly the reason to own that game, and you can't convince me otherwise!

Maxz

Yeah, I'd definitely put SM64DS's mini games along with NSMB's multiplayer in the category of 'unexpectedly brilliant bonus content that no one talks about'. It may have just been me and my brother who thought this, but NSMB was one of my favourite multiplayer games on the DS. Up there with Mario Kart and MP:Hunters.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Haru17

@Maxz I loved the first NSMB but never played multiplayer, was it like Wii?

And yeah, Super Mario 64 DS was a great port. It's actually the only way I've ever played that game. I wish mini games like that would be put into more Nintendo games, as since they've entered 'modern gaming' their games have generally felt leaner and leaner.

Bolt_Strike

Yellowtails wrote:

I still would rather play Super Mario 64/64 DS than 3D World any day.

Same. I'll take any sandbox platformer over 3D Land/3D World. Dunno what it is about sandbox Mario being the only games allowed to display any kind of real creativity and innovation.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.