Forums

Topic: Forum topic etiquette 101

Posts 1 to 18 of 18

Spoony_Tech

Here is a list of things to do and not do when posting in someones topics. Feel free to add as there is always more things to think about.

First and four most ALWAYS read the first quote! The topic header doesn't always explain what the original poster intended.

Be kind to your neighbors! This is one of the hard ones for some of you.

Refrain from excessive emotion faces. This one gets annoying fast.

Stick to the topic at hand. This one is hard to do since sometimes we just want to talk to a certain someone but we don't have a messaging system so please try to keep it at a minimum. Or just go to chat.

Please stick to the rules the original poster intended or dont post in that topic. I know its hard for some of you and its easy just to make fun of the topic but keep in mind that when you make a topic you don't want someone doing that to you.

And last but definitely not least. IGNORE THE TROLLS!!!
This can be a hard one but if you just ignore them they actually might go away. Don't quote them it just makes them happy.
Definition of a troll: Someone who wants attention. They come in trying to bring the topic to a screeching halt and totally change the subject. These individuals often draw attention to themselves in a way that may cause a topic to be shut down by theblackdragon, chickenbrutus, or in extreme cases JAMES (shivers)!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

LzWinky

You can also visit the Announcements Forum for more rules

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Mowzle

Thanks Tech101 for the above. And thanks James, I have now been over to re-read the Community Rules.
Most folks know what they should do, but sometimes they get carried away with enthusiasm.
It happens to us all.

The unmentionables, as in your final comment Tech101, do sometimes manage to bring a thread to a screeching halt, or worse. It's sad when the only answer is for a Moderator to step in and call a halt.

On the positive side, however.... I think that this is mostly a great site. I see lots of evidence that people are being helpful and kind to one another. I regularly stop by to see what's happening, and it's a bad day when someone here hasn't given me reason to be cheerful about the human race, or a good belly laugh
among others, the Bronies in the Friendship is Magic thread are guaranteed to do that.

One etiquette point I would make is:
Think twice when posting - you may save yourself or someone else a lot of angst.
Maybe I should have thought twice about this posting, but I did it anyway

Edited on by Mowzle

Best place to hang out on a dull day? Nintendolife.

James

I love this forum, and I would still say that even if I weren't editor here.

However I will say that we have some people posting here who think that being snarky is the same thing as being witty, and it's not. Mowzle's point of thinking twice before you post is a good idea: just as you'd think before you speak, think before you post.

Also, if you see a post that needs a moderator or administrator to look at it, please use the Report button and move on: don't respond to trolls or spammers, just report it and move on. Thanks!

My overriding community rule would be this: be nicer to each other.

I think that's it. Now continue being awesome and funny and make me pleased to call you all my children.

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

Chrono_Cross

James wrote:

Now continue being awesome and funny and make me pleased to call you all my children.

Children? Okay boss! D:

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

JayArr

I would like to add some if you don't mind.

• Chew with your mouth closed.
  • Don't post HUGE pictures that take up the whole screen and you have to scroll sideways to see them. D:
  • Corbie's favourite number is not 7
  • Don't be the grammar police. It's disruptive to all threads and a lot of people who post here don't even have English as their first language. If you can understand it there is no reason to be rude about a simple mistake.
  • Take crying babies to the lobby as to not disrupt the audience.
    Tip your waitress generously. =)

Edited on by JayArr

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

LzWinky

JayArr wrote:

• Corbie's favourite number is not 7

Yeah, it's 9 now!!

Also, if you don't like someone's opinion, don't attack them. That's like fighting fire with gasoline and hydrogen gas, which is not a good idea.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Spoony_Tech

To add to one of jayarrs. DONT QUOTE THE HUGH PICTURE POSTERS!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

theblackdragon

JayArr wrote:

• Don't be the grammar police. It's disruptive to all threads and a lot of people who post here don't even have English as their first language. If you can understand it there is no reason to be rude about a simple mistake.

this. I've seen normally cool, rational users launch into a foot-stomping, arm-flailing, kicking and biting screamin' hissy over a simple misspelling or misuse of a homophone. it is not that critical. you obviously understood what they meant to say in order to correct their sentence, and chances are you're going to make mistakes while telling that other person off, so why put in the time and effort for something I'm going to come through and delete anyway?

please, just be tolerant of or ignore other users' spelling/grammatical mistakes. if you absolutely, positively cannot let something pass, for the love of holiness be nice about it and, above all, don't go out of your way to derail a thread over it. please and thank you~

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Chrono_Cross

A topic with all CAPS is annoying as well. I know some things are important to you but this isn't GameFaqs.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

GameLord08

Please don't forget to flush when you're done. 'Kay, thanks, bye. ...Oh, wait, I thought this was HoF etiquette. My bad.

Just to add that some people are starting to make it a trend to derail topics and ask for FCs in threads. I don't mean to sound all Nazi, but like, we have specific threads for FC exchanging. You can always do it there.

Oh, and don't insult people if you disagree with their opinions. This happened to me a while ago, and it wasn't very nice. Just make your point, but respect the other person too.

GameLord08

Robo-goose

James wrote:

Now continue being awesome and funny and make me pleased to call you all my children.

When do we get our allowances?

Edited on by Robo-goose

"I'm a heartbreaker...
My name... Charles." -The Greatest Man In Driftveil City

itlisa

how can i make a topic.

itlisa

GameLord08

@itilisa: Top-right corner of the forum, you'll see 'New Post'. Click and voila.

GameLord08

k8sMum

i'd like to see less use of word's like 'stupid' when referring to people's taste in games/genres/whatever. 'dumb', 'idiotic' etc are just hyperbole when so much of what we discuss is subjective.

also, 'the (insert company name) stuff all sucks and i hope they fail' gets tiresome, at least to me. there are good aspects and bad to each console from every company. competition can only do gamers good.

Edited on by k8sMum

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.