Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts Fan Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 167

CaviarMeths

What themes do Erika, Sabrina, Koga, and Blaine fit? I guess Koga is the only character in the English version with a Japanese name, which makes sense for a ninja like Giovanni makes sense for a mob boss.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

CanisWolfred

Koga-ryu is (was?) an actual school of ninjitsu, so Koga fits perfectly. But yeah, the rest are very obscure. Erika is actually named after a type of plant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erica

Sabrina has the same letters as "brains" in it...with an extra "a"...and it was probably a not-so-subtle reference to the teenage witch that had a sitcom around that time.

Blaine sounds vaguely similar to "Blaze" or "Flame", but other than that, it's really not much of a theme, just a bad pun...

On a side not, the Japanese names of the Gym leaders seem to all be references to plants. I'm not sure how much of that was an intentional theme, or how much is just Japanese naming in general, especially for females...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

CanisWolfred wrote:

Erika is actually named after a type of plant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erica

Oh those are pretty!

...I mean uhm... yeah, interesting naming themes. I hadn't even noticed that most of the female gym leaders in future games were named for plants, but now that it's been pointed out, it's very obvious.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Dreamz

Why are the two of these combined? I'd rather have a separate thread for each....I love a lot of the Final Fantasy games, but I couldn't care less about Kingdom Hearts.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

CanisWolfred

Dreamz wrote:

Why are the two of these combined? I'd rather have a separate thread for each....I love a lot of the Final Fantasy games, but I couldn't care less about Kingdom Hearts.

So the thread will actually last longer than a week, unlike the numerous "Final Fantasy" and "Kindom Hearts" threads before it...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Dreamz wrote:

Well, originally it was just Final Fantasy, but there was so much KH talk going on that I decided to include it in the title as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

KO-Cub

RR529 wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

Well, originally it was just Final Fantasy, but there was so much KH talk going on that I decided to include it in the title as well.

Their both SquareEnix and FF appeared in KH. Might as well.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

e-love

I've been reliving Final Fantasy VII lately through its soundtrack. I miss playing it <3

Honestly I played that game in 2011 I believe,
so there was very little nostalgia factor - it's just an overall wonderful experience.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

RegalSin

FFVII has an PC version and their are an couple of mods to the games, including an super revamped 3d mod and big characters on screen mod ( which makes every other 3d character looks odd.

FVIII was my first real taste of the game next to FF6. FF7 everybody was like OMGSH it is an adult mature game omgsh.... Seriously those were the days.

Right now I am playing FF12. FF10 is so terrible of an game compared to 12 but I have no resources to play the others. I have to checkout Unofficial FF11 one day.

Checkout GaMEr TrEcK dot com

Thatguywhoeats

Square Enix pls Wii U version of KH3

Thatguywhoeats

CaviarMeths

I dunno how many of you have been following the FFXV news for the last few days, but damn. Sounds like Nomura and Nojima's story has been canned and the creative team has been almost entirely replaced over the last couple of years. FFXV isn't just FFvXIII renamed. It almost sounds like it's a completely different game with assets from the canceled FFvXIII recycled/repurposed.

RegalSin

Well I could really care any more or less about FF series because what is done is done. They can't even make an new RPG series without bringing up the past. Speaking of which I have been getting into that FF PSP ( which amazingly runs like god on my under powered machine ) game. Sqauresoft have been doing an bunch of experimentation which could point to any kind of RPG. FF does not even look or feel like FF anymore. It looks like some sorta random comic-book mini-series. I also discovered FF 1 and 2 Cell phone games, which are basically re-worked versions of the "Wonder Swan" color game system.

Like I read the comic knowing there are tons of it, looking for that one moment when something different occurs.

Checkout GaMEr TrEcK dot com

e-love

CaviarMeths wrote:

I dunno how many of you have been following the FFXV news for the last few days, but damn. Sounds like Nomura and Nojima's story has been canned and the creative team has been almost entirely replaced over the last couple of years. FFXV isn't just FFvXIII renamed. It almost sounds like it's a completely different game with assets from the canceled FFvXIII recycled/repurposed.

What ;/

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

TuVictus

The whole FF15 debacle is just so frustrating. He's already talking about "trying to include" the whole Leviathan thing from E3 2013 gameplay footage, when they announced it as FF15. It was in-game! How are you "trying" to include it? Does it suddenly not work anymore? It's getting tiring hearing them talk as if they've just started making the game when it's literally been nearly a decade since it was announced.

I predict 2017 at the earliest.

TuVictus

CaviarMeths

Emaan wrote:

What ;/

This is from a few days ago. Tons of discussion on that little update on NeoGAF, ranging from doom and gloom to "well, let's wait and see."

Here is a list of staff changes from Versus to XV. Some discussion there too.

Edit: Oh, language warning I guess. Gaf has the most unenforced profanity rules of all time.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

RR529

So...

World of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts III, and Final Fantasy VII remake! Pretty good E3 for these series, it looks like.

Oh, and there's also Kingdom Hearts X, if you're into that.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

PrincessSugoi

I didn't even know I cared about FFVII remake until I saw that reveal. I even got inspired to play some of the tracks in Theatrhythm lol.

My brother is more of the Kingdom Hearts fan and he was pretty excited about the footage so I count that as a win.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

CaviarMeths

Gonna pick up FFVIIR for PS4 and WoFF for Vita.

In an interview, Nomura also expressed interest in more FF remakes from outside of the PS1 era. FFVI seems most appropriate.

Blast

I can tell the direction of FF XV is different from Final Fantasy Versus. FF XV is really pushing for a "all guys adventure" feel. FF Versus was just totally different. It was more "mysterious Noctis and his friends are dealing with huge problems in their mysterious world." FFXV can still turn out amazing. Its just obvious the mood and tone is different.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CaviarMeths

Former CEO Yoichi Wada has confirmed on his Facebook that he is no longer an employee of Square Enix.

For many, Wada's name may be toxic to some, as he presided over the company in what is widely believed to be its lowest point since 1986, but I think there are some key things he did that put Square Enix in a good position today.

• He bought Eidos. Square Enix now has a respectable Western game portfolio, including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Just Cause, and Hitman.
  • He bought Taito. Arcades have proven to be a very successful avenue of income for SE.
  • He aggressively pursued mobile. Traditional gamers may hate it, but this also opened up a huge avenue of income for the company and I believe it has given them the capital necessary to confidently pursue console games.
  • Instead of abandoning FFXIV, he had the whole thing revamped into what is currently one of the most acclaimed and successful MMOs on the market.

But on the day that he announced his leaving of SE, SE held an E3 press conference for the first time in years. We saw a remake of Final Fantasy VII, something Wada said wouldn't happen. We saw two new console JRPGs announced, Nier 2 and Project Setsuna, as well as an entirely new studio dedicated entirely to making JRPGs. All coincidence, surely, but interesting.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.