General Discussion Forum

Topic: Everything Resident Evil!

Showing 1 to 20 of 136

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

1. Posted:

Get ready for a Wall of text, as it's time to dedicate a Thread to one of the most kick zombie infested franchises around...Resident Evil! and it's about damn freakin' time. ;)

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

For now, because I'm in the mood what are your favorite to least favorite RE games in the franchise? I've always been in love with the original ever since I picked it up a few days after it's release back in the 90's. For it's time it was pretty revolutionary in my eyes, especially if you never got the chance to play Alone in the Dark. Now I was one of the few that was never bothered by it's controls, it actually gave the game it's own distinct feel that seperated it'self from the pact and I actually loved them as they made you feel vulnarable and on your toes, and it's one of the things that makes Resident Evil 'Resident Evil' Resident Evil 4 after all retained the same control scehem, yet just by switching the camera perspective and giving you free aiming controls which was a huge upgrade. But it also destroyed the creepy movie-like static environments shots and pre-rendered backgrounds of past RE games.

But aside from the controls, I was just too immersed into the expierience and atmosphere....It was just so fresh and unique, it was something that I never experienced before and as a big horror movie/zombie fan I was in heaven....It was the first game to actually scare me as well....Discounting playing Shadowgate as a kid during a saturday night being completely freaked out by the music, or even the creepy cut scenes from Splatterhose 3 on the Sega Genesis, but that's another story! lol :p
Anyways, here's my list!

1. Resident Evil
2. RE3: Nemesis
3. RE2
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil 5
6. Remake
7. RE: Code Veronica

And I'm pretty mixed on both RE4 and RE5, there are things I love about both games and thinks I just can't stand.....As for the Remake, it didn't exactly have a huge impact on me, like the original did....And for some reason I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I'd hope, while it was still a good experience overall, it just lacked the charm of the original and it funked up a few of the classic scenes of the original like the build up and scene with Forests Dead body, but it also improved onmany things as well aside from the breath taking visuals....As for Zero, again it's the only RE I haven't beaten, yet my copy of RE Zero: Archives for the Wii will be here any day now I'm so I'm really looking forward to playing it. :D

And Code Veronica? I couldn't stand that piece of trash. Thee' only RE game that I never enjoyed out of the bunch. What a dissapointment it was, especially after experiences the brilliant RE3: Nemesis...Code Veronica felt like such a step backwards in comparison.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BlackShyGuy

2. Posted:

I love Resident Evil! One of my favorite series ever. RE4 and RE5 are by far the best. An if its going to be about everything RE, we should also mention favorite characters, guns, and enemies. Mine would be Leon and Sheva (she's so hot) for characters. Handcannon for the weapon. And Wesker is the coolest enemy by far. Man I cant wait for RE: Revelations!

Wii U MAD?
Currently playing: Tales of Graces, Kid Icarus, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, Resident Evil Revelations, and Kingdom Hearts BBS.
Huge fan of Tales games

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

3. Posted:

The only Resident Evil games I playes was the First one and the Second on PS and RE 4 on the Wii. I only remember bits and pieces of 1 and 2 since the last time I played them was when they first came out. As for RE 4 I really like the Wii controls and that game alone put my faith back in the franchise. Right now RE 4 is obviously my favorite but the series as a whole is pretty good.

Trivia time: Did you know that Devil May Cry was an early draft idea for RE 4? After reviewing the draft and deciding that the ideas were too off of RE and afraid that it would take the series in a different direction, Capcom decide to use it to create a new series.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Noire

4. Posted:

Whaddya know, I'm playing the REmake right now D:

lights another zombie on fire

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ravage

5. Posted:

The controls were terrible. The limiting inventory meant that it was possible to get stuck in the first one. At least in the GameCube remake it was possible.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.
Just Say No To Toast!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

6. Posted:

You know, Zero easily has the most impressive looking zombies out of the bunch, or at least the freakiest looking.
Based on pictures, this one so far has got to be my favorite.

Untitled

Too bad the main villian looks like some sailor moon castlevania anime reject, and he sings on top of it all. That's what always annoyed me about RE.....Like CV, it got a little ridiculous and 'out there' regarding the plot. And Leaches? really? Sigh* I love that it takes place on a train, but the plot and main baddies youthful anime apperance have always thrown me off.

And I remember RE3 was the first to really break up the variety in zombies compared to the norm that you'd see in RE1 and RE2. RE3 was the first to introduce 'fat' zombies, and many other variations and overall they looked fantastic by PS1 standards of course! They also came at you in swarms as well this time around, and the zombie moans and groans in RE3 were ace!

Untitled

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

7. Posted:

I'll be controversial. I'm not exactly an expert on survival horror and I've only beaten one RE game but if you have to justify why the controls suck, your game has major problems.

Also something odd. RE4 is one of my favorite games ever but I really find the other games to be ok at best. The older games are both overrated (imo) and in general not my type of game and RE5 was to RE4 what...most Capcom sequels are to the original (see: Joe, Viewtiful)

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkLloyd

8. Posted:

im a huge fan and i own almost all of the main series

but just curious in what way was veronica a piece of trash? :P
story wise or control wise i'll admit the control gameplay was a little different but nothing for me to really complain about

DarkLloyd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

9. Posted:

Ravage wrote:

The controls were terrible. The limiting inventory meant that it was possible to get stuck in the first one. At least in the GameCube remake it was possible.

I loved the controls up until Code Veronica....Because by then they were starting to show their age at that point and for me it was the starting point where I kind of grew tired of Resident Evil. Actually come to think of it, it was the prehistoric aiming system that was the main problem here. Raise your gun and fire....No free aiming, while you always hoped to get a goopey head shot based out of luck. It was bare bones and repetitive....There wasn't any real skill involved...The skill involved saving your ammo like diamonds and learning how to maneuver around your enemies properly and 'when' to do so.

RE4 improved on all of this greatly, which is what the franchise needed. Yet my problem with RE4 is the setting, enemies and plot. If Capcom were to of taken Resident Evil 4's brand new 3rd person camera and aiming system and stuck it in the 'real' world of Resident Evil....Like the manions, Racoon City and what have you it would of been much more exciting if you ask me. RE4 was to linear...There was hardly any backtracking, puzzle solving and items. If anything it was a much more intense and action oriented experience because you were constantly getting swarmed by the infected all around you and you really had to think....

Weather you were shooting weapons out of their hands, popping them in the knee causing them to trip and fall down, jumping through windows, knocking down laters ect ect. There was so much depth to the gameplay and for that I loved RE4.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

10. Posted:

BlackFira wrote:

im a huge fan and i own almost all of the main series

but just curious in what way was veronica a piece of trash? :P
story wise or control wise i'll admit the control gameplay was a little different but nothing for me to really complain about

hehe. Where do I begin.
Well, Code Veronica was the first RE game to ditch those gorgeous and super detailed prerendered environments from RE1-3 in favor of ugly 3D blocky, barren and bland back drops...All because they wanted the camera to actually move with you at times instead of being static....Bad move, because this was a huge graphical downgrade and it kind of took me out of the experience and 'made' the experience far less haunting and atmospheric.

The animations themselves were also too stiff, the characters also had this anime-like Porcilon doll look to them and it came off too squeeky clean. The story got a little too whacky for it's own good, they re-used the same exact Zombie SFX from RE2, they downgraded the gore...I'm pretty sure you couldn't blast arms off with the shot gun, or make heads explodes.

Anyways, I did somewhat enjoy the beginning where it took place on the island and maybe a few of the areas in the Ashford Castle, especially whith the Bandersnatch monsters. But everything else was a snooz fest....I grew tired of the experience, for the reasons i mentioned above. I think if RE:CV stuck with prerendered environments which would of looked gorgeous and RE:Remake-like on the Dreamcast/PS2, kept in the zombie physics from RE3, if they didn't rehash the same sound effects and actually did something new(ok, you could shoot with 2 guns at the same time, yippie!)with the gameplay instead of it feeling incredibly stale, than maybe i would of had a much greater time with it. :P

But as it is, i can't stand the game. Oh and I loathed most of the score....It was pretty tacky a lot of the times. RE1 had the most haunting score out of them all, there's no contest. But, i do feel like giving CV another shot....Or just to play 15 minutes of it to get a bit of an nostalgiac kick. I haven't played CV 'X' before and i planned on picking it up for the GCN. Too bad it's pretty pricey on eBay!

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

11. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

And Code Veronica? I couldn't stand that piece of trash. Thee' only RE game that I never enjoyed out of the bunch. What a dissapointment it was, especially after experiences the brilliant RE3: Nemesis...Code Veronica felt like such a step backwards in comparison.

There was nothing brilliant about a Tyrant armed with a rocket launcher. Nemesis was just a quick cash in on Resident Evil 2. Nothing more. It even reused a load of the same rendered backgrounds from RE2. Nemesis is clearly the worst Resident Evil game. Code Veronica on the other hand was the first Resident Evil to be completely 3D, how is that a step backwards?

Anyway I still wish Capcom had gone with their original character concept of Leon Kennedy.
Untitled
Instead they turned him into a cartoon.
Untitled
Are those pajamas?

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

12. Posted:

LOL at gamesake
Yup! They did turn Kennedy into a cartoon....A cop sporting a tacky blue outfit with a Back street Boys mushroom cut? Yaaa....I never liked Leon OR claire, they were both too cheesy and cartoony looking. Leon's original look was pretty great though, can't say the same for Claire...Or Elza that is. But maybe they changed his look because face and hair-wise he looks a smidge like Chris Redfield.

Anyways, Ya CV may of been the first RE to go fully 3D, and while that enabled to do new things with the camea, the environments themselves looked incredibly dull and ugly. Here's a nice example between CV and the Remake.

Untitled

Untitled

It's no wonder Capcom went back to using prerendered for the Remake and Zero....

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kingbuilder

13. Posted:

Zero is abysmal. My indefinite least favorite game of the Resident Evil franchise (or atleast what I've played of it). Just never found anything really that good about it. Bleh. D:

My favorite game would definitely be RE4. I don't care what all of you nostalgia-bound (hardcore RE players) say, but it's the best RE game I've ever played and one of my top 5 games of all time. :P I currently own RE4 for Wii, Gamecube, and a very dumbed-down version for the Ipod.

I'd also like to add that RE5 is good, but that's only because of the awesome cutscenes and multiplayer in Mercenaries mode. :D

Edited on by Kingbuilder

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

14. Posted:

Kingbuilder wrote:

Zero is abysmal. My indefinite least favorite game of the Resident Evil franchise (or atleast what I've played of it). Just never found anything really that good about it. Bleh. D:

My favorite game would definitely be RE4. I don't care what all of you nostalgia-bound (hardcore RE players) say, but it's the best RE game I've ever played and one of my top 5 games of all time. :P I currently own RE4 for Wii, Gamecube, and a very dumbed-down version for the Ipod.

I'd also like to add that RE5 is good, but that's only because of the awesome cutscenes and multiplayer in Mercenaries mode. :D

I totaly agree with you about RE5....Mercanries was absolutely fantastic, hell I even enyoyed the VS mode. Some saw it as an novelty, but it had blast playing it, especially in the beginning. And as for the Cutscenes, yep...They were pretty amazing. And of course the fact that Chris, Wesker and Jill were in it made it all the more great. strip all of that away and you're left with an uninspired cut and paste game, with inferior enemy physics and reactions compared to RE4, with bosses that are basically the same for the most part idea-wise.....

yet instead they made them BIGGER and more grand...For ex, Instead of fighting that giant salamander in that tiny wooden boat in RE4, in RE5 you're basically on some battle ship blasting away at that enormous giant octopus-like monster ect ect.

And I found it really annoying that i couldn't pop an enemy in the knee and make them fall to the ground. Instead they act like nothing happened and continue to run or walk straight towards you....the blood also looked crappy and cartoony, almost gears of war-ish. Shiva is also one of the biggest problems in the game because she takes your shots.....There's nothing worse than trying to strategically line your shots up, only to be interupted by a few bullets wizing past your head and taking down your target, forcing you to rush your shots...Anyways, at least the final Boss against wesker was loads better than what we got in RE4. PLUS, RE5 has an outstanding score. But I missed the type writers and there were zero puzzles aside from 1 or 2 i think, and they were pretty damn generic.

and what was up with the mix of mexicans and asians in Africa? Shouldn't it of been africans for the most part? Capcom most likely changed this up because of all of those racist complaints.

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

15. Posted:

I actually enjoyed Code Veronica more than the RE remake. I'm in the process of playing RE Zero now so I'm gonna hold off on commenting on that just now, but I will say I am enjoying it. I'm glad they ditched the whole "burn the zombie or it turns into a super zombie" gimmick. That's one of the biggest reasons I disliked RE remake so much. Not one RE game before or after did that, and it just feels like a cheap way to add "tension", especially since you could only burn two zombies before having to refill your lighter fluid. Anyways, off to play some RE Zero!

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

16. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

I actually enjoyed Code Veronica more than the RE remake. I'm in the process of playing RE Zero now so I'm gonna hold off on commenting on that just now, but I will say I am enjoying it. I'm glad they ditched the whole "burn the zombie or it turns into a super zombie" gimmick. That's one of the biggest reasons I disliked RE remake so much. Not one RE game before or after did that, and it just feels like a cheap way to add "tension", especially since you could only burn two zombies before having to refill your lighter fluid. Anyways, off to play some RE Zero!

Ya i wasn't a big fan of the Crimson heads, it seemed like just another way to leangthen the game and stir up more back tracking. And I still can't get over the horrible scenario with Forests body in the remake...It was handled so poorly, as if it were an after thought. Anyways, the reasons why I didn't enjoy the remake that much had to of been because the experience(although there 'was' new areas and different things goin on) didn't feel fresh since I already experienced the PS1 original and I already KNEW what was going to happen with plot, characters, what the bosses were ect ect, i couldn't stand those crimson heads, the addition of that freakshow Lisa was a mixed bag, and my favorite RE character Barry didn't seem as buff this time around, Capcom leaned him out and basically ditched his trade mark beard in favor of stubble, grrr.

Anyways, the remake was actually pretty easy as well compared to the original. And really, couldn't someone of turned a bloody light on in some of the rooms in the game? It's like capcom decided to go with this super dark gothic colorless look where everything begins to kind of look the same, where as the original's rooms ALL stood out in their own ways. Honestly, just because the lights are out and it's super dark doesn't automaticly make a game scarier.....Hell, I was more afriad of the lurking zombies in the original walking down that specific hallway with the bright green walls and dark brown rusted wooden doors. it just looked creepy....Like 'old grandma house' creepy. :o

The Remake however is pretty stock in the scare department as well. Then again, the Resident Evil franchise was never scary to begin with, although the original has it's moments and because of the haunting score. And I'm sure if I played the remake back when I was 12 like i did with the original, i would of been just as scared or even more scared at times. But the rest of the games play out like some George A Romero movie. Where as Silent Hill is somewhat disturbing, incredibly atmospheric with a huge sense of dread, while 'fatal frame' IS actually scary....I don't think any videogame franchise has beaten FF in the scary department.

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

17. Posted:

And I'm dieing for some new RE: Revelations footage....I'm so happy that zombies are finally making a comeback and that the game is going back to it's more traditional roots yet still keeping certain elements in tact from RE4/RE5 like the camera and aiming system. Looks to be a merger of the classic and new. Hopefully there are tons of puzzles, saving ammo like they're diamonds and lots of back tracking.

I hate it when RE gets too action packed in linear...What can I say, I love getting tons of items, figuring out puzzles and the crazy amount of back tracking from past RE games. :D

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

18. Posted:

I would add to this thread, but it appears to be a vehicle for Waveboy to spam us with his opinions, most of which I disagree with.

Oh well, I'll wait for the next RE thread before commenting.

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ravage

19. Posted:

RE4 was simply amazing.
Yes, CV moved away from pre-rendered scenery and such, however, it offers so much more freedom. It needed to be done sometime. Fixed camera has its place, but you also need to keep the camera moving at some moments. Silent Hill 3 did this fairly well in some instances.

WaveBoy wrote:

I don't think any videogame franchise has beaten FF in the scary department.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent says hi.

Edited on by Ravage

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.
Just Say No To Toast!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

art_kevinc

20. Posted:

RE 4 is definitely my favourite of all, especially on wii. Next would be Res Remake and Res 2.

P.S: Amnesia: The Dark Desent wins in the scary department. Awesome game.

Edited on by art_kevinc

3DS FC: 0173-1318-0187