General Discussion Forum

Topic: Everything Marvel (Movies, Games, Comics, ect...)

Showing 641 to 660 of 729

AuthorMessage

Rezalack

641. Posted:

Well, I just watched Thor: The Dark World and I have to say it was better than I expected. It was definitely better than the first. There was a lot of annoying instances.. but I guess I'll just have to shrug it off because it's a comic book movie.. but yeah. The convenience of Jane finding the portals and finder the ether.. stuff like that, just bothers me. It wasn't as bad as Iron Man 3's convenient horse crap though. The One-Shot was pretty good, too, I guess. I feel like they only made it to try and clean up after the mess of IM3 though. If there was no backlash, it wouldn't have happened.. The credits sequence with the collector though was awesome. I was probably more excited about that than anything. Benecio Del Toro is awesome, I'm really looking forward to GotG more than ever now.

I also watched The Wolverine, too. That was a much better movie than Thor, I figured it would be though. It's actually one of the better Marvel movies actually.. I can't really pick on anything that bothered me in this movie, so that's always a plus. I know a lot of people complained about SIlver Samurai but I thought it was fitting and was actually pretty great. The ending sequence has me even more hyped for DOFP now, too.. I need to go see that ASAP.

Rezalack

AuthorMessage

iKhan

642. Posted:

I just got a chance to watch TASM2, I have to say I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A lot of the things I hated in the first film were kept to a minimum here be it Garfields disrespect to pretty much any and all adults, or the horribly botched origin that invalidates Uncle Ben's death. However, I've still come to realize that this isn't a Spider-man movie. It's an action movie with a Spider-man skin. Not a single character is written like they are supposed to be. Gwen I can understand, because she is actually given a better, more complex character, similar to The Spectacular Spider-man. But Peter is still a cocky, immature brat to most people (It's just hidden better because the only people he ever interacts with as Peter are Gwen, Harry, Aunt May, and that guy he bumped into to give Gwen cover). Harry is a completely different character, and really didn't even need to be Harry, Aunt May, who is supposed to be a selfless mother figure to Peter has a moment of selfishness, and Spider-man is too much like Deadpool.

That all said, everything but the ending was still enjoyable, the romance was well done, though Peter tended to seem a bit too clingy, Electro was handled much better than the Lizard, as we actually see the arc that converts him from a good guy to a bad one, and Harry, despite not being anything like Harry Osborn, has an interesting arc until the end.

The ending felt really empty though, and I'm not exactly sure why.

And one last thing, the movie did this really annoying thing with the action shots where it kept going into slow-mo. It really weakened a lot of otherwise good scenes.

Currently Playing: Okami, Paper Mario 2
Currently Watching: Arrow, Batman Beyond, The Flash, Gotham, Star Wars: Rebels

AuthorMessage

iKhan

643. Posted:

I'm not sure if people have seen this yet but

Let the warring begin.

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

644. Posted:

His arguments are pretty off, I mean its comic books its supposed to be corny. Also they sort of don't get the point of the Rhino charcter was supposed to be pretty silly.

Also is he using bootleg footage, lol.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

HawkeyeWii

645. Posted:

I recently subscribed to The Amazing Spiderman. I download the first 2 issues on my Nexus. I am really like the return of Peter. The series feels like it got a huge jolt of energy. It feels really fresh and I can't wait to see where the series goes.

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage

Rezalack

646. Posted:

Well, Peyton Reed is directing Ant-Man. That's pretty disappointing to hear. I've tried to watch The Break-Up and it was one of the most god awful comedies I've ever seen. Yes Man is one of Jim Carrey's less funny movies, which is actually hard to get out of Jim Carrey because IMO he makes almost anything good. I see a lot of people blaming Marvel, but I think the problem we're having is Disney. We haven't had a single stellar Disney/ Marvel movie.. (at least that I've seen, I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet). I feel like this director is just a name/puppet to get this movie out.

All that negativity being said though, I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong. Ant-Man is definitely one of the more interesting characters Marvel can make a movie of and definitely one of the best Avengers. I really hope that this movie will be great.

Rezalack

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

647. Posted:

Disney chose the Yes Man, hehehehehehehehehehehehe

Even the new synopsis sounds a but bland.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

648. Posted:

Spuratis wrote:

Well, Peyton Reed is directing Ant-Man. That's pretty disappointing to hear. I've tried to watch The Break-Up and it was one of the most god awful comedies I've ever seen. Yes Man is one of Jim Carrey's less funny movies, which is actually hard to get out of Jim Carrey because IMO he makes almost anything good. I see a lot of people blaming Marvel, but I think the problem we're having is Disney. We haven't had a single stellar Disney/ Marvel movie.. (at least that I've seen, I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet). I feel like this director is just a name/puppet to get this movie out.

All that negativity being said though, I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong. Ant-Man is definitely one of the more interesting characters Marvel can make a movie of and definitely one of the best Avengers. I really hope that this movie will be great.

I'd hardly blame Reed for the horribleness of Yes Man or The Break-Up. They were both just horrible films. There's only so much that a director-for-hire can do when the source material is horrible.

Also, I'm not sure how you can say "We haven't had a single stellar Disney/ Marvel movie" when only 2 of the 9 MCU films released so far were made before the Disney purchase (Iron Man and Incredible Hulk). Sounds like you're just aping the usual "Disney makes things horrible" cliché that has no basis in reality.

All that said, I wish Edgar Wright was still involved (and I have no opinion on Reed), since I love Wright's films. But in all fairness, it does seem that Wright wanted to make a film that wasn't going to fit what Marvel wants to do in the grand scheme of constructing the MCU.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

iKhan

649. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

His arguments are pretty off, I mean its comic books its supposed to be corny. Also they sort of don't get the point of the Rhino charcter was supposed to be pretty silly.

Also is he using bootleg footage, lol.

Corny and over the top is one thing. Poorly written is another. TASM/2 is the latter

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

650. Posted:

It sounds like Wright wanted his film to get the special treatment in universe that it would have been when it was in development with the other phase one films. The orginal script consisted of switching to the past with a young Hank Pym in the 1960's to the present day with Scott Lang stealing the Ant-man suit.

Sounds from the new pitch that its still going to be a heist film but Pym/Lang will get along much more.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

Rezalack

651. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

I'd hardly blame Reed for the horribleness of Yes Man or The Break-Up. They were both just horrible films. There's only so much that a director-for-hire can do when the source material is horrible.

Also, I'm not sure how you can say "We haven't had a single stellar Disney/ Marvel movie" when only 2 of the 9 MCU films released so far were made before the Disney purchase (Iron Man and Incredible Hulk). Sounds like you're just aping the usual "Disney makes things horrible" cliché that has no basis in reality.

All that said, I wish Edgar Wright was still involved (and I have no opinion on Reed), since I love Wright's films. But in all fairness, it does seem that Wright wanted to make a film that wasn't going to fit what Marvel wants to do in the grand scheme of constructing the MCU.

Ok, I won't blame him for the movies directly, but he helped make them exist. I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

I'm definitely not aping the "Disney makes things horrible" cliché. I like Disney, they do a lot of good stuff and I'm looking forward to the Star Wars movies. I'm just saying ever since they've had their hand in the Marvel movies, they've dropped in quality. I LOVED Iron Man 1 and The Incredible Hulk. Enough to see them both in theatres twice. I can't say that for any of the following movies. Jon Favreau probably left because they were annoying to deal with or they just wanted the discount director Shane Black.. Iron Man 2 was better than 3 and 3 was a train wreck, IMO. Not because of Mandarin, although that was still highly disappointing, but because of the god awful inconsistencies and conveniences throughout the movie. Thor 1 started out with a bang only to fizzle out quick. Thor 2 was better, I'll give them that. Avengers was great in theaters but I watched it again at home and I don't know why I liked it so much before. Hype maybe? I just didn't find myself enjoying it even half as much the second time through. I still haven't seen Captain America: Winter Soldier yet, so I can't speak on it. I want to see it, but waiting because I find Captain America to be one of, if not the least interesting superhero out there.

Maybe it's just Marvel, but I'm having a hard time believing that Disney doesn't have some hand in the quality of these movies. The movies feel forced and it just feels like the directors that are hired, are simply a name and have no creative control what-so-ever. Otherwise Edgar Wright still might be doing Ant-Man. It's pretty sad. I'm being critical, but because I love Marvel. There's a cliché for you.

Edited on by Rezalack

Rezalack

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

652. Posted:

I see what you're saying. But I think that it's less Disney-control, and just simply Marvel-control. Kevin Feige & Co., the "architects" of the MCU have a very structured and laid-out plan when it comes to constructing the MCU. I don't think they really had the plan in place as much during Phase 1 (coincidentally, when Iron Man and Incredible Hulk both came out), and I think @shingi_70 is right that if Ant-Man had come out during Phase 1, Edgar Wright would probably have been allowed to make the movie he wanted.

But once the Marvel movies started making serious money, and the plans for the future of the MCU was really being laid out, it's limited what freedoms are to be allowed. Again, I think it's just a Marvel-control thing, nothing to do with Disney's ownership.

We'll have to agree to disagree about there being stellar Marvel movies after the first two (which were both excellent) — I personally found both Thor movies to be excellent, same with Avengers, same with the Cap movies — though Cap is in my top two favorite superheroes, so there is that. I can get maybe if your own personal tastes weren't satisfied by them — to each their own — but I think on an objective level, all those films would fall into the "stellar" range (though yes, Iron Man 2 and 3 were rubbish :D )

And seriously, see Winter Soldier as soon as you can. It is fracking amazing, even if you're not a Cap fan. :)

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.

AuthorMessage

Rezalack

653. Posted:

I haven't even got a chance to go see DOFP yet, so after that maybe I'll see Winter Soldier, but DOFP is priority right now. If I don't see that in theaters I might be a little mad at myself. I guess even though I'm not a big fan of Cap, I thought his first movie was good, probably better than Thor. The problem with Thor.. I guess it just felt lacking in.. atmosphere? I don't know. It just felt off for me. Not too mention I don't feel like Natalie Portman fits at all..

Maybe the problem with the drop in quality might be money. Disney is trying to pinch pennies while Marvel is trying to curb a certain story within all the characters/movies. This will leave quality actors/directors to leave. I was really bummed when I found out Favreau and Terrance Howard left the Iron Man movies.

I don't mean to come off as abrasive, lol. Just giving my two cents, of course others will find the movies stellar.

Edited on by Rezalack

Rezalack

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

654. Posted:

Yeah, I still need to see DOFP as well. I wasn't really counting the X-Men (or Spidey) movies when it comes to Marvel films, since they're not part of the MCU and not produced/developed by Marvel. By all accounts that I've heard, DOFP is amazing. I really liked First Class as well as Singer's X-films, so I'm psyched to see DOFP as well.

On Thor — I agree Natalie Portman felt out of place (though I love me some Natalie Portman, so it was forgiven, lol), and I actually wished Kat Dennings was in it more. :) It has a certain atmosphere to it that is wholly attributable to Kenneth Branagh directing the film — a sort of classical, Shakespearean feel. It's not for everyone, but I really liked it and thought it fit perfectly for the story they presented in that film.

The Shpydarloggery

AuthorMessage

HawkeyeWii

655. Posted:

I was really curious with all the buzz surrounding the new Transformers movie and Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles movie. I know both of them started out in comics, but who published them? I don't think Transformers is with the same it originally was and TMNT I have no clue.

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage

Platypus

656. Posted:

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I was really curious with all the buzz surrounding the new Transformers movie and Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles movie. I know both of them started out in comics, but who published them? I don't think Transformers is with the same it originally was and TMNT I have no clue.

Transformers did not begin as a comic, but MArvel had the rights to it in the 90's. They lost them later to IDW publishing. TMNT began as a comic(according to Wikipedia it was supposed to be a one shot parody) and was with several companies, but also ended up with IDW publishing.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

657. Posted:

Both are being published by IDW and doing really well and are pretty good.

Comic-con is this month so we should be getting a slew of info on Phase III of Marvel and the rest of Phase II. (Avengers 2 and Agents of Shield season 2).

Phase III so far is looking to be

Ant-man
Captain America 3
Thor 3
Doctor Strange Avengers 2

Agents of Shield season 3
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Iron FIst
The Defenders

WAT!

AuthorMessage

Platypus

658. Posted:

Rocket Raccoon #1 came out this week. I thought it would be horrible, but thankfully it's incredible! Really great art and a funny story. I hope it continues to stay this great.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

659. Posted:

Why would you think anything by Scottie young would be terrible. His OZ series is pretty legit.

We should be getting the first trailer for Avengers 2 this month at comic con and probably attched to Guardians.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

660. Posted:

So what do you all think of Marvel changing Thor to a woman?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/15/thor-is-now-w...

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311