General Discussion Forum

Topic: Everything Marvel (Movies, Games, Comics, ect...)

Showing 461 to 480 of 725

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

461. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Anyone who complains about race or gender of characters based on source material that has alternate universes should be punched in the face.

Maybe I should punch you in the face? :P Sorry but unless its stated that it's an alternate universe timeline etc. I expect them to use the source material.

Edited on by Tasuki

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

462. Posted:

Sigh, it's a alternate timeline based on the fact that its not the comic.

Every different adaption that Marvel and DC does are separate earths. The MCU itself is Earth-199999. Anything that isn't 616 is an alternate reality otherwise none of the FF would be so young.

Even the Marcel Studios films ignore or adapt the source material like crazy.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

dumedum

463. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

More Marvel news looks like Fox is moving ahead with the Fantastic Four reboot.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/miles-teller-kate-mara-fant...

The four heroes have been picked but no word on the villain yet. Hopefully this one will be better then the last two films.

I liked those films. Especially The Thing was an awesome cast choice. Never understood the hate for them. This cast looks much worse.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage

MikeLove

464. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Anyone who complains about race or gender of characters based on source material that has alternate universes should be punched in the face.

BS. They are a white brother and sister team, and have been since their creation several decades ago. It's funny....it's no problem changing a white character to a black one, but if they tried to get a red head to play Superman there would be a huge public outcry.

Hopefully Marvel evens things up and produces a Black Panther movie starring Shia Labeouf!

I had no interest in this film before, and certainly don't now. It's too bad Fox still owns the rights to this franchise.

MikeLove

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

465. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

More Marvel news looks like Fox is moving ahead with the Fantastic Four reboot.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/miles-teller-kate-mara-fant...

The four heroes have been picked but no word on the villain yet. Hopefully this one will be better then the last two films.

I liked those films. Especially The Thing was an awesome cast choice. Never understood the hate for them. This cast looks much worse.

I quite liked the first one but despised the second (really lackluster and Galactus sucked hard).

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

MikeLove

466. Posted:

Untitled

This guy playing The Thing is even worse than the Johnny Storm casting! This movie is DOA already.

MikeLove

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

467. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Same thing irked me when they changed Nick Fury and now Perry White in Man of Steel. As I said these guys are great actors and the do the part justice its just the continuity thing for me.

Just want to point out Nick Fury is black in the ultimate universe comics and Marvel just decide to incorporate that version.

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

468. Posted:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

BS. They are a white brother and sister team, and have been since their creation several decades ago. It's funny....it's no problem changing a white character to a black one, but if they tried to get a red head to play Superman there would be a huge public outcry.

Hopefully Marvel evens things up and produces a Black Panther movie starring Shia Labeouf!

I had no interest in this film before, and certainly don't now. It's too bad Fox still owns the rights to this franchise.

Exactly. Everyone cried and complained about Ben Afflack being casted as Batman, the Wonder Woman casting and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor but no one is complaining about this??? Man if I had the money I would make a Black Panther movie starring Shia Labeouf. Then when people complained I would say what its an alternate timeline.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Nathan_Wv10

469. Posted:

My dad is Jamaican and I am half black and I even think that making Human Torch Black is a silly/weird idea. I think the whole cast for this new movie look no where near as good as the previous movies.

Nathan_Wv10

Twitter: Nathplaydirty

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

470. Posted:

Just seems like a but subverted racism to me.

Anyway the problem with putting Black Panther as a white guy it doesn't make sense based on his orgin. There's nothing in the Storms background to indicate that they should be white.

I mean some characters are defined by their Race Black Widows being tied to the KGB, Black Panther being African, Daredevil being Irish Catholic.

There nothing in the background of Spiderman or say Johnny storm that means there white.

So I'm guessing you guys hated the Fantastic four film with Jessica alba becuase some one of Mexican descent played an Anglo Saxon character.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

MikeLove

471. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Anyway the problem with putting Black Panther as a white guy it doesn't make sense based on his orgin. There's nothing in the Storms background to indicate that they should be white.

Ya...nothing at all except 53 years of being depicted as a white male in comics, cartoons, movies, games, toys, etc. The character has existed in that one form all this time, why change him now?

As stated above, people complained about who was cast to play Lex Luthor as well, so it cant be surprising when people are shocked when a major character has their race changed. Calling people who do 'racist' is a cheap move too, and only points out your own insecurities.

MikeLove

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

472. Posted:

Why would it be cheap to argue that people are a bit racist is when the only problem I see with Jordan's casting is that he's black. Never mind he's worked with the director before, is a good actor, and played a similar character in another film.

I found most of the casting for comic book films to ******** on the part of fanboys. Espically for a medium with thousands of parallel universes.

Also your really going to use the source material argument for a movie that's going to be in the same universe As a film franchise where Alex is Scotts father instead of brother.

If were going by that far where the outrage that Wolverine was in the first xmen movie.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

473. Posted:

@shingi_70: Who's bring up race now? Check your reply again. Race was not an issue nor even a question until you brought up Jessica Alba. Not quite sure what she has to do with the conversation. Still if you want to go there, her being Susan Storm is believable cause she looked the part. I will even let the Nick Fury part slide since they did change him to African American in the Ultimate Universe. But did they every show Human Torch as an African American? Was Perry White ever African American? No they were not. You dont go changing something and then slap a Fantastic Four name on it just to sell something, and just to prove the point that it's not a race thing the guy that they picked for the Thing doesn't look anything like Ben Grimm either.

Now excuse me I need to go give Jet Li and Will Smith a call to cast them as Mario and Luigi in a reboot of the Super Mario Bros Movie. While I am at it I think I will call Angelina Jolie to play Bowser.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

474. Posted:

For Sake of argument Black Perry White exists on Earth-23 I believe which is an all black Justice league.

So your telling me that Ultimate Fantastic Four isn't the fantastic four because reed went evil, sue is boinking the thing who can sqtich between his rock form and human one.

Or take Hickman's dope rumof Fantastic four where we had the council of reeds from alternate dimensions which had reeds that weren't white.

Maybe its because I read a ton of comics, and happen to be a minority but none of these charcter changes bother me.

I mean Man of Steel took my favorite superman side character in Jimmy Olsen and turned him into girl.

I thinkJodran race aside is a good fit for Johnny Strom especially his ultimate version.

Now I think this movie will be hot garbage based on the fact that Fox has a bad track record.

Saying that Mr.Fantastic is like the douchiest name for a superhero.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

475. Posted:

@shingi
I think you're missing the bigger point. Changing the race of an established character, for no other reason than to introduce some artificial "diversity" into an established franchise or medium, is nothing more than shameless pandering that is being done by a studio in the thought that it will increase their revenue. I find something like that to be far more racially insensitive, as it is just a corporation making a decision based solely on race. That's pretty much the definition of racism.

I rarely have problem with direction changes, casting mash-ups, etc., because, as you said, alternate realities are basically the status quo in comics (especially Marvel). None of the Marvel films take place in the 616, so it stands to reason that they should differ from the books. But race-swapping done purely for the thought of creating a buzz and making more money is despicable. I would feel the same if we were given a white James Rhodes or Luke Cage, neither of whom have anything in their background to indicate that they should be black characters.

@tasuki
You mentioned earlier that you were surprised that people/fans are not making a big deal complaining about the casting choice — I can tell you for certain that fans have DEFINITELY been making a stink about this (Jordan's been rumored to be cast as Storm for quite a few months now).

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

MikeLove

476. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

@shingi_70: Who's bring up race now? Check your reply again. Race was not an issue nor even a question until you brought up Jessica Alba.

My point exactly, he is the one who has the problem with race. Not that hes racist, but that hes so uncomfortable talking about this topic that he is scared to even address the obvious issue out of fear that someone may accuse him of being one.

I didn't like that in Iron Man 3 they made the Chinese Mandarin a British guy, pretending to be a Middle Eastern guy!

I don't like an anorexic model playing Wonder Woman or Ben Affleck playing a grizzled and worn down Batman either!

It's not racism, its about wanting some continuity. People even complained when the actor playing Rhody was switched after the first Iron Man movie. Making Johnny Storm a black guy is nothing but a cheap casting decision to try and add diversity to a group when its not necessary.

MikeLove

AuthorMessage

SuperMalleo

477. Posted:

First we're talking about Marvel stuff, and now it's a racism topic? Why all the fuss about a African American playing the Human Torch?

Plumber extraordinaire at your service.
配管工の非凡なあなたのサービスで。
Rebooted YouTube Channel (Under Contruction) | Miiverse | deviantART | Hatena | The Malleogerry (Still needs some updating)

3DS Friend Code: 2809-8065-2098 | Nintendo Network ID: MarioOtaku350

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

478. Posted:

I was taking my frustrations from elsewhere onto here.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

turtlelink

479. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Now excuse me I need to go give Jet Li and Will Smith a call to cast them as Mario and Luigi in a reboot of the Super Mario Bros Movie. While I am at it I think I will call Angelina Jolie to play Bowser.

Holy crap I think you're onto something :O

JohnRedcorn wrote:

I don't like an anorexic model playing Wonder Woman

This one kinda bothered me. How is she going to bulk up and become as big as Wonder Woman should be in 2 years? :P

Edited on by turtlelink

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

480. Posted:

@the_shpydar: Wow man you said exactly what I was trying to say.

And what @JohnRedcorn said about the Mandarin. It's about the studio's changing things up to stay PC and appeal to everyone so as they dont hurt anyone's feelings. I am pretty sure that they changed the Mandarin from a Chinese origin just so they could market the film in China, then they changed it to a British guy pretending to a Middle Eastern guy so as not to have to deal with people of Middle Eastern origin boycotting the film. That kind of stuff ruins the movie for me. I mean come on if they are going to have to change it that much well then they might as not use the character at all.

My Backlog