Forums

Topic: Everything DC (Movies, Games, Comics, etc...)

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 1,460

Tasuki

@jump I liked the first season of Gotham on how it focused on Gordon mainly but then after that it focused to heavily on Bruce and the Rogues Gallery and in the end it just felt like a Batman version of Smallville.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

jump

@Tasuki yeah, Ben McKenzie was great in it and held a lot of the nonsense together. I thought Bullock was good too but he just didn’t have much to do.

I’ve just rewatched Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn since I saw it in the cinema, which is also the last film I saw in the cinema. It’s weird as I don’t love the movie but I want to rewatch it again and I think about it afterwards. Visually it’s great and there’s some really cool set pieces in it but I really wish they spent more time with the Birds of Prey, Harley chews the scenery too much for the screen time she gets. Huntress and Black Canary were fantastic and I wanted to see more of them, especially Huntress as being socially awkward from how she grew up was an interesting idea.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Ryu_Niiyama

Sorry to Necro this thread but I have to say I am very excited for the Nubia and the Amazons miniseries. In part for her role as queen and just that they are bringing her back into the fold. Already preordered as many issues as I could (all the covers) at my comic book store.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

jump

@Ryu_Niiyama That's Vita Ayala writing aint it? She did the Xena relaunch comic a few years ago, she's a good enough writer that I kept wanting to read more once she finished the series.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Ryu_Niiyama

@jump Good to know. I've not read her work before.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Tasuki

So I went into my local Comic store to pick up some dice for Dungeon and Dragons and as usually I browsed then row of comics to see if anything interesting catches my eye and I find Batman 89. Apparently it's a true sequel to Tim Burton's Batman series (Batman and Batman Returns) and disregards Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. I was quite excited to see that as Burton's series has always been a favorite of mine, I remember going to see the first one in theaters for my brother's birthday. I never included Schumacher's series as sequels myself and apparently I wasn't the only one.

I picked up the first issue today, which I can't wait to dive into tonight before bed. Anyone else read this series yet. I honestly never heard of it till today.

My Backlog

Ryu_Niiyama

Tasuki wrote:

So I went into my local Comic store to pick up some dice for Dungeon and Dragons and as usually I browsed then row of comics to see if anything interesting catches my eye and I find Batman 89. Apparently it's a true sequel to Tim Burton's Batman series (Batman and Batman Returns) and disregards Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. I was quite excited to see that as Burton's series has always been a favorite of mine, I remember going to see the first one in theaters for my brother's birthday. I never included Schumacher's series as sequels myself and apparently I wasn't the only one.

I picked up the first issue today, which I can't wait to dive into tonight before bed. Anyone else read this series yet. I honestly never heard of it till today.

Thank you for the heads up. Had to have my comic book store order the first issue but I picked up #2. I have a peculiar relationship with batman. In general I detest the character but I have a fondness for certain versions (Bruce Timm's TAS (shout out to Kevin Conway for bringing him to life as well) version and the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton version) so it's nice that both are having comic runs right now.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Tasuki

@Ryu_Niiyama I have heard rumors that they are bringing back TAS on HBO Max. Right now they have all the BtAS which I have been watching the past few days.

My Backlog

Tasuki

I watched Joker tonight on HBO Max and what a great origin story for Joker. I won't go much into it but it was a well done movie and didn't villainize Joker. It was interesting but in many ways his origin seemed to parallel Batman's.

My Backlog

jump

@Tasuki I find it is the complete opposite, it's a terrible origin story for Joker with getting basics wrong like The Joker is meant to be actually clever, competent and funny plus not an old man when Batman comes of age decades later as well as the more conceptual stuff like The Joker shouldn't be explainable, celebrated and reactionary to others rather than dictating events.

It's just a Taxi Driver knock off with an added comic book stuff so people would be willing to go to the cinema to see it. As a movie it's fine with Joaquin Phoenix, the cinematography and production values really shining but it's too desperate to have meaning, it's social commentary of healthcare and get the rich could have been much, MUCH better done.

In other DC comics happenings, I've just given Catwoman: Lonely City a read, it looks fantastic (as Cliff Chian's work often does) and it feels like Catwoman's The Dark Knight Returns. I'm really looking forward to the next few issues as this feels like it could be a special series.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Pizzamorg

I honestly thought Joker delivered on the hype. However, I do sometimes wonder if I would have felt the same had they not got Joaquin Phoenix. He really carries and elevates this movie, through his central performance. There hasn't really been another performance like this in a comic book movie, like at this level. So maybe I would have focused on things that didn't work more heavily, with a lesser/weaker central performance.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

jump

@Pizzamorg There's hasn't been a performance like that in another comic book movie because it's not a comic book movie. It's a different movie dressed up as a super hero movie to get people to see it. It's more like Parasite which came out around the same time and had the same themes only without the ham-fistedness.

Nicolai wrote:

Pizzamorg

jump wrote:

@Pizzamorg There's hasn't been a performance like that in another comic book movie because it's not a comic book movie. It's a different movie dressed up as a super hero movie to get people to see it. It's more like Parasite which came out around the same time and had the same themes only without the ham-fistedness.

Yeah it does really raise a lot of questions as to what constitutes a "comic book movie", this is much closer to something from Kubrick or Scorsese than say a Snyder or MCU movie.

But I'm not sure where you draw the line really.

In a lot of ways I would say Nolan movies aren't exactly "comicbook movies" either, with very limited elements lifted from the comics and usually given lots of extra layers of additional grounding.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ryu_Niiyama

Nubia and the Amazons 1# leaves me with mixed feelings. This Nubia appears to be a new version of the character (meaning Nubia:Real One and possibly Future State were the normal versions) and the dialogue seems to be trying to come off as cryptic for foreshadowing but is very clumsily or confusingly done. There seem to be some changes that also either make no logical sense or altered the mythos for better or worse. However I have waited anxiously for this so I will finish it. The art is lovely however. Love all the different hairstyles on display.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

jump

@Pizzamorg It's a pretty clear attempt to make an 80s Scorsese film from the casting and visuals. Of course the peak era Scorsese influence isn't what made the film so successful, it was the weak Joker branding.

Nicolai wrote:

Ryu_Niiyama

Just finished Far Sector. What is it with DC right now? I’m becoming a serious fan. Just ordered the whole Green Lantern 2021 run to see how things are going. Starting Naomi and Static Shock next.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

HawkeyeWii

God, I haven't been in here in a LONG time. Almost since I created this whole discussion forum lol. Anyways, is everyone hyped for the release of The Batman this week!?

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

roy130390

@HawkeyeWii I have mixed feelings. I always wanted to see a Batman movie with grunge songs as soudntrack and I like that the suit kinda reminds me of the Scott Snyder run, mostly for the cowl. On the other side, unlike many I really don't like Pattinson on the role. Yes, he has shown talent as an actor, But I really think that casting is important and not just the perfomance and I simply see him as a really weird looking Batman. He just doesn't project the darkness of the character and is just really weird. Besides, it kinda gets on my nerves that the reasoning for many people to support him is that he talks crap about the Twilight movies. While I think that they shouldn't define him I don't see how that is a positive at all, it's simply irrelevant. Anyway, Batman is my favourite DC character so I might be expecting too much, but yeah, the casting of this movie feels really off to me. Either way it will probably do great as many people seem already fixated on liking it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

jump

@roy130390 Meh, I'm not sold on the take yet. It's all well and good Batman is gonna be like Kurt Cobain but Kurt shot himself and Batman would never use a gun! ;p

Nicolai wrote:

roy130390

@jump Haha that got really dark 😛. Yeah, that Bruce Wayne does give some depressed rock star/emo vibes or something.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that there's a scene that made me cringe. It seems like his suit is completely bullet proof or something because there's guys shooting at him with machine guns and "he's just standing there, menacingly". That's something that I would have never expected to see from the character, and it looks stupid as hell because it's not like he's using a special suit or something, he's still has his chin exposed and the most paranoid and calculating man on Earth decided that's it's a good idea to stand there.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic