General Discussion Forum

Topic: Does your girlfriend have to be a gamer?

Showing 81 to 100 of 134

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

81. Posted:

@Lurch - Exactly. If I was interested in a love relationship, I'd have feelings for the girl because of who she is and not what she is. But that's not gonna happen in a while; say several years from now.

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
Also a fan of Gravity and all things 16-bit
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Vendetta

82. Posted:

clicketyclick wrote:

You don't know how many times I've had to sit through guys explaining to me what Halo is and who Master Chief is while trying to restrain myself from saying "it's overrated and why don't you play a good fps". Yes yes, please, explain to me again who Mario is.

So that explains all this resentment. Either that, or this is one big experiment for your Social Psych class. ;) I wouldn't put it past you. In fact, I'd prefer it that way, for your happiness' sake.

Ex cineribus resurgo
Wii / Speak / Music: 3991 9961 5576 0184 · · · · Mario Kart Wii: 3609 8999 1445· · · · · · · ·Alien Crush: 1934 4006 9660
The Conduit: 2622 0458 3119· · · · · · · · · · · · · · Water Warfare: 4726 5832 1608· · · · · · · Onslaught: 0388 6842 8268

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

83. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

clicketyclick wrote:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

I want a girl who's interested in gaming, but she need not be as into it as I.

Whenever I read things like this, I kinda start to despair.

It's like guys will like you as long as you're inferior to them. You've got to earn less money, be worse at their hobbies than they are, be stupider, etc. You have to be disinterested, unskilled, and ditzy. The minute you show any sort of enthusiasm or ambition, it's a turn off.

It's like guys want to be teachers and don't want to have to learn anything from a girl. The envision themselves as Pygmalion or something, only comfortable when they're the expert schoolmaster and their girlfriend is the apt pupil.

I got 'she doesn't have to be as into gaming as I am, i'll still like her anyway' from what Stuffo said... i mean, bare minimum she's able to play some Brawl and she's got some geeky tendencies; that way they'll at least have some stuff in common even if she's busy introducing him to other things that she personally prefers to do. what's up with the inferiority complex?

Yeah, more like what theblackdragon read. I don't mean that she needs to NOT be as huge a gamer as I...just that it's not a prerequisite. I guess that would've gotten through better if I'd worded it more plainly. Fact is, I DO want a girl who has enthusiasm and ambition...it just doesn't necessarily HAVE to be in gaming. I have to use the same example I always do (due to lack of other experience)...my friend, my one failed attempt at romance...she's EXTREMELY smart, majoring in Anthropology at UMBC. She likes to game, but really doesn't devote much time to it (too busy with school) and isn't too great at it. The fact that she's interested is good enough.

Which brings me to @Adam post #30: You have to understand that I'm batting 0 for 1 and haven't gotten over her 100% yet (mostly, but not entirely). Therefore, I really can't help but seek someone similar. This ideal may fade over time...in fact, it's probably better if it does so the new girl isn't just always reminding me of her. For now, I know what I THINK I want, whether that's what ends up happening or not.

I would like to say that I do my very best to avoid stereotyping girl gamers, and I'd LIKE to think I do a pretty good job. Of course, it probably helps that I've met a lot of different kinds while working at GameStop...including multiple coworkers. My best coworker example is Lori...she plays what she likes, be it Halo, Gears, Mario, Pokemon...it doesn't matter. What SHE likes...not trying to impress anybody. That's the same attitude I have towards gaming, so I respect that in her. Really, that's what most gamers in general do, at least the ones with brains. Play what you like and don't let anyone change your opinions or tastes. If a guy can't get that, he's not worth your time.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mysteriousbloke

84. Posted:

no she doesnt. In fact, its better if she isnt. Mine knows nothin bout gaming, apart from the fact i can beat her little sister at mariokart. She should be someone you love for who they are, not because they are mad about gaming. Me and my gf love eachothr enuf to talk bout how many kids we r gonna hav. n we r 14.

mysteriousbloke

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

Corbs

85. Posted:

I find it nice that my wife and I get to play games together some, but it's also nice that she's not so into it that it's all we do together. There's a nice balance there that I like.

Retro Editor, Nintendo Life
Vita Editor, Push Square

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

86. Posted:

mysteriousbloke wrote:

Me and my gf love eachothr enuf to talk bout how many kids we r gonna hav. n we r 14.

Oh cheers mate, I've got puke all over my desk now, ew! :P

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

87. Posted:

Corbie wrote:

I find it nice that my wife and I get to play games together some, but it's also nice that she's not so into it that it's all we do together. There's a nice balance there that I like.

Yeah, that's the kind of balance I really want. A girl who games as much as I do could become a problem...we might start fighting over single-player time or something! I had enough years of that when I still shared a room with my brother, thank you very much. :|

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

88. Posted:

I probably should not have said what I have said in comment 72. I feel sheepish.

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
Also a fan of Gravity and all things 16-bit
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

89. Posted:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Stereotype is not a good thing. It's a bad thing.

That what you mean, StarBoy? I see no reason to feel sheepish about that...it's a true and deserving statement!

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mysteriousbloke

90. Posted:

Machu wrote:

mysteriousbloke wrote:

Me and my gf love eachothr enuf to talk bout how many kids we r gonna hav. n we r 14.

Oh cheers mate, I've got puke all over my desk now, ew! :P

Sorry

mysteriousbloke

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

91. Posted:

It's just that it sounded so spontaneous when I said just that. Not to mention, I just felt like mentioning it. If only because it's the truth, and how I feel on the subject of stereotype-ism.

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
Also a fan of Gravity and all things 16-bit
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

92. Posted:

@StarBoy91: So it sounds a little weird thrown out there all by itself. Who cares? It's the truth, it needed to be said, and that's what matters. I feel VERY strongly about the generalized issue of stereotyping, and am glad you agree. :)

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

93. Posted:

Wow this thread is great.

My girl plays games sometimes, I play games sometimes, but we both do lots of other things together. That's where it's nice.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Objection

94. Posted:

It shouldn't be required that you share all interests, as long as she doesn't dislike games or anything. I've found that most people (even my parents, grandparents, and yes, my girlfriend and her friends) will have at least one game that they may enjoy. It's all about using your head and thinking about the target audience. My family likes Wii Sports and my girlfriend likes Super Smash Bros Brawl. It all depends on the person, but always make an attempt to get them to play a game they have a chance of liking. (HINT, if you have a squeamish girlfriend, don't start her on MadWorld, Resident Evil, HOTD:Overkill :P)

[21:14] pixelman: I blame fheblackdragon
[21:15] pixelman: That's not an f by the way, it's a fancy t.
[21:15] Objection: Tales of Graces "fancy t"
[21:15] Objection: Tinal Tantasy
[21:15] theblackdragon: lol OB
[21:15] pixelman: OB knows what he's asking about.
Backloggery My LP Youtube

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0835-3789

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

95. Posted:

I've had the odd gamer girlfriend, whilst it's generally awesome, it was also a real pain when major releases hit. One of us staying out the way while the other played through, not allowed to mention or spoil in any manner. I was on both ends of that and it sucked.

'Sharing' a game is great fun though, playing 'life or level' and cheering one another on, it's always better to share a game after all. Except of course, when you are itching to get the controller back and are praying she dies soon :D. Also, when you inevitably split up (ha :P), it can ruin those games forever and you have issues playing them. I'm looking at you Paper Mario and Bubble Bobble, amongst others. :|

Either situation is better than having a lady who is oblivious to gaming goodness. Given the choice, I'd always go for a girl who can play, it's just another thing we'd have in common. So long as she doesn't beat me, it's fine.

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

96. Posted:

Why don't you just share games when a major release hits that would otherwise separate you guys? It'd remove that need to be secretive about the plot, and it'd be cheaper. I quite enjoy sharing games. In fact, since I tend to suck at 3D games, I often actually prefer to be the one watching.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J-Man

97. Posted:

All I know is that most of the girls who liked me best were gamers. Mostly because I'm confident enough to know how to impress a gamer girl instead of improvising for the other types.

J-Man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

98. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

Why don't you just share games when a major release hits that would otherwise separate you guys? It'd remove that need to be secretive about the plot, and it'd be cheaper. I quite enjoy sharing games. In fact, since I tend to suck at 3D games, I often actually prefer to be the one watching.

Nope. I like to hog games, and fidget while the other person plays. Plus, you get those wonderful moments where one of you (generally her) :O is struggling a bit and you say "let me" and she's like "NO, I'm fine". Awkward silence and glances ensue.... :D

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

99. Posted:

Haha, well, guess that wouldn't work then.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

100. Posted:

Why are people suddenly calling Adam "weirdadam" as of late? Am I missing something here? I'd still call him Adam if I quoted him. I know it's none of my affairs, but, I'm curious.

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
Also a fan of Gravity and all things 16-bit
23 and proud =)
To each their own