General Discussion Forum

Topic: Do you think time travel would be possible? Why?

Showing 21 to 40 of 85

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Djungelurban

21. Posted:

Roopa132 wrote:

Wiiperson11 wrote:

If time travel was possible then people from the future would use it and they would visit us I think so sadly, it's impossible IMO.

And what do you think about my theory that you can just travel to the future but not the past?

Of course you can do that. In fact you're doing it right now. Roughly at the same time as everyone else but you're doing it. And depending on how fast you move you travel to the future at slower or quicker pace.

My backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tambourine_man

22. Posted:

Wiiperson11 wrote:

If time travel was possible then people from the future would use it and they would visit us I think so sadly, it's impossible IMO.

Yeah well how did the humans in the future get to the future without a time machine? :P

tambourine_man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

23. Posted:

Space and time cannot be thought of separately, they are linked. Travel fast enough through space, and time is effected also. Human's will one day harness that power and destroy this universe, with me at the helm, mwahahaha!

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JustYourAverageBleh

24. Posted:

Omega wrote:

I don't think that it is possible. If time travel is possible, why do we have no time travelers from the future here today?

I once read an article that UFO's might be our buddies from the future that time travel to the past(our time)
so..yeah :)
but it's not totally proven

It's all fun and games.
Chat on Nintendo Life.
Follow me on Twitter, it's totally free.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

25. Posted:

JustYourAverageBleh wrote:

but it's not totally proven

You mean not proven in the slightest bit, I take it.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Roopa132

26. Posted:

JustYourAverageBleh wrote:

Omega wrote:

I don't think that it is possible. If time travel is possible, why do we have no time travelers from the future here today?

I once read an article that UFO's might be our buddies from the future that time travel to the past(our time)
so..yeah :)
but it's not totally proven

Well there are stories, too that the shadows you sometimes see dash by in the corner of your eye are time travelers...

Probably getting a Vita with LBP soon...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TKOWL

27. Posted:

well if u have a time machine youd have to go through confusing space time continuom and other laws that make it kinda unfun (like how bill and ted have to keep going back in time to fix everything)

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter: TKOWL

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Outrunner

28. Posted:

Since I believe in God I don't think it's possible to travel back in time. I believe He designed it that way so that it always goes forwards. I don't believe time and space are infinite either. I believe they're finite like everything else in this universe.

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." Matt. 1:21.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Djungelurban

29. Posted:

Outrunner wrote:

Since I believe in God I don't think it's possible to travel back in time. I believe He designed it that way so that it always goes forwards. I don't believe time and space are infinite either. I believe they're finite like everything else in this universe.

So basically, you're going with the "LALALALALALA!!! I'M NOT LISTENING" arguement then since the infinity of space and time (or the progression of existance rather) are pretty much proven... Unless the big crunch is gonna happen then all bets are off. And if I take on my religious pants, then who are you, a lowly human, to presume to understand any part of god's plan? Isn't the whole point that god is more then a mere human? So how could you possibly even begin to argue how he did or didn't create reality. Please...

My backloggery

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

30. Posted:

I don't think so. TIme travel is too risky anyway, besides I don't want to go into the "time paradoxes" argument :(

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Noire

31. Posted:

lz2009 wrote:

I don't think so. TIme travel is too risky anyway, besides I don't want to go into the "time paradoxes" argument :(

I hope you realize, lz, that I am you. From the future. :O

Twilight Zone music

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

IAmNotWill

32. Posted:

Edwin wrote:

Time travel to the past is impossible. The past does not exist.

Time travel to the "future" is possible if you are traveling at fast enough speeds (like near the speed of light in a spaceship). Time will slow down for you, so when you get out of your spaceship, time for everyone else would have gone by faster and they will have aged more than you have.

But couldnt you travel back in time so fast that you reverse the rotation of earth, then going back in time? :O I could be wrong. Im not a scientest, lol.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Outrunner

33. Posted:

Djungelurban wrote:

Outrunner wrote:

Since I believe in God I don't think it's possible to travel back in time. I believe He designed it that way so that it always goes forwards. I don't believe time and space are infinite either. I believe they're finite like everything else in this universe.

So basically, you're going with the "LALALALALALA!!! I'M NOT LISTENING" arguement then since the infinity of space and time (or the progression of existance rather) are pretty much proven... Unless the big crunch is gonna happen then all bets are off. And if I take on my religious pants, then who are you, a lowly human, to presume to understand any part of god's plan? Isn't the whole point that god is more then a mere human? So how could you possibly even begin to argue how he did or didn't create reality. Please...

Hey, I said it was my belief. I didn't state it as fact. Also, I believe God's plan is revealed in His Word and it tells us how He created the universe.

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." Matt. 1:21.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OldBoy

34. Posted:

Outrunner wrote:

Since I believe in God I don't think it's possible to travel back in time. I believe He designed it that way so that it always goes forwards. I don't believe time and space are infinite either. I believe they're finite like everything else in this universe.

Watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw and then tell me that the universe is finite. :)

What's this bit for again?

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Outrunner

35. Posted:

@Luigi78: Yeah the universe is huge. Don't worry, I've been looking into this stuff for a while. It's what led me to get saved since God was leading me.
Anyway I've led this off-topic. Just wanted to post my view.
edit: That was a beautiful vid btw. Thanks for sharing.

Edited on by Outrunner

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." Matt. 1:21.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

apocalypse217

36. Posted:

Oh yeah I time travel daily

apocalypse217

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tripunktoj

37. Posted:

@Outrunner: Hi, I am more on the side of the other posters, but thanks for sharing your point of view, I personally dont believe on religious gods, I'd rather reason science facts, but I respect everyone's belief as much as I like my reasoning to be respected by them. Besides a good philosopher always questions his own arguments and accepts the chance of being wrong as a chance of continue learning (I could be ignoring a fact which could prove me wrong and prove you right). So...

You said space is finite, then, what do you think exists out of its borders?, ... why? (Not meaning to argue, only to reason)

Edited on by tripunktoj

...

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-6861 | Nintendo Network ID: tripunktoj | Twitter: tripunktoj

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tripunktoj

38. Posted:

@Djungelurban: Interesting posts, all of them, thanks for sharing. I already took in count the time as only a measure, did you read my other posts? The problem with space on time travel dont make it physically impossible, only WAAAAYYYY harder.

But I must say I TOTALLY agree with you and Machu's view on parallel universes. Specially that part on which mankind may abuse this resources (as we have done with every other) to the point of destroying the space-time continuum. It maybe sounds crazy, but it also sounded crazy when people started worrying about the water, and you see what happens now.

Also, dont be so mean to Outrunner, as I said, we COULD be ignoring a fact which could prove us wrong and prove him right.

@Luigi78: Wonderful video man!

Edited on by tripunktoj

...

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-6861 | Nintendo Network ID: tripunktoj | Twitter: tripunktoj

AuthorMessage
Avatar

thewiirocks

39. Posted:

Outrunner wrote:

Since I believe in God I don't think it's possible to travel back in time. I believe He designed it that way so that it always goes forwards. I don't believe time and space are infinite either. I believe they're finite like everything else in this universe.

You sound a little bit like Einstein. In his writings he expressed frustration in his inability to remove time travel as a possibility. Of course, he was also frustrated with Quantum Physics. (Einstein: "I do not believe in a God who plays dice with the Universe", Bohr: "Stop telling God what to do with his Universe")

I am also Christian, but I do not see the conflict between time travel and Christianity. Upon examination, it becomes clear that the Universe has no "forward". Einstein said it best when he claimed that, "[time] is merely an illusion; albeit a very stubborn one." In fact, you can think of our existence as very pretty sculptures, with twists and turns and flow that gives each part of the sculpture a very alive feel to it.

For comparison, have you every won the solitaire game that comes with Windows? You know how the card bounces around but leaves behind its previously drawn images? That's how we look in four dimensional space. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow already exist. "Now" is a meaningless concept. Only the condition of cause and reaction shaping that model gives us the illusion of thought. That illusion is what provides any sort of awareness of time. Or for that matter, reality.

From a Christian perspective, one might initially despair at the idea that there is this fixed model of the universe. One might even believe that God has played a cosmic joke by fixing our lives into the sculpture of the Universe with us having no say in how they play out. Yet Quantum Physics gives another answer.

You see, the Universe is not quite as set in stone as it first appears. While the model of the Universe may already exist, how that model is shaped at points of cause and effect is actually... random. Or should I say, "probabilistic"? e.g. When we think of an event, say two objects colliding, we think that the outcome will always be a lot of destruction to follow Yet that isn't quite correct. The probability of destruction is extremely high, but there's also the chance that the objects could pass through each other, bounce harmlessly off, or otherwise do something that doesn't fit our logical view of the Universe.

The reason for this is that at the most basic level, the Universe is a bit unpredictable. We can only say that at our abstract, high level view, things seem to work in a consistent fashion. But that is an illusion as well. In reality, it is not possible to predict the outcome. So don't despair! It would appear that we may have "free will" (the ability to make our own choices) after all. :)

Back on the topic, I see no reason why an object extending in the fourth dimension can't bend back around. The problem seems to be in understanding how to make that happen. The geometry of the fourth dimension is confusing for humans. Primarily because it's just like the other 3, but with our baggage of perception added on.

Is it possible to slow something down in the fourth dimension and put it in reverse? Or to speed something past the speed of light (which takes infinite energy) and thus invert its course? These are questions that are difficult to answer. Especially once one better understands the geometry of the Universe. e.g. Is there really 4 light years between Earth/Sol and the nearest neighboring star? Well, not exactly. Go fast enough, and the distance can measure to barely a few feet! Keep accelerating and the universe will crowd you in and crush you. (Of course, to outside observers it will appear as if you got really huge.)

In short, there doesn't appear to be anything stopping "time travel". However, the ability to do so is likely to exceed human grasp until such a time as we can clearly understand and articulate the nature, shape, and geometry of space-time. :)

thewiirocks

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

40. Posted:

PhoenixSage wrote:

lz2009 wrote:

I don't think so. TIme travel is too risky anyway, besides I don't want to go into the "time paradoxes" argument :(

I hope you realize, lz, that I am you. From the future. :O

Twilight Zone music

GASP!!!! That's impossible!!!

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky