Forums

Topic: Do you own a gun?

Posts 121 to 140 of 153

The_Fox

Luigi78 wrote:

Corbie wrote:

You are dreaming. How's the weather there in Rainbowland?

Very pleasant,thanks for asking?
Oh I know it's not gonna happen,I'm right though don't ya think? I just think that steps should be made towards gun free society's. It's fine for America to say we like our guns and were keepin em' but those guns don't just stay in America ,they become distributed around the world so it's a global issue. The reason this bothers me is because of the way in which UK culture is now so heavily influenced by American culture and I don't want my daughter to grow up in a place where guns are considered the norm.It's a scary prospect!

Guns in America become distributed and a global issue? Not really as much as you may think. There are many more likey places guns are smuggled in from the rest of the world, and it isn't America. Ever wonder where people are getting all those AK-47s from? It isn't the U.S, I can tell you that.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

OldBoy

Yeah fair point. I know there are many other places in the world where guns are manufactured and distributed,the reason for focusing on the US is that the majority of people on here who are pro guns seem to be American and if you are part of the cycle then you have to take some responsibilty for illegal guns turning up in other countries.

What's this bit for again?

Mine was taken away when I tried to shoot myself

If you light a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for a lifetime.

OldBoy

@Machu Love that Tune!!!.. GUNS , WAPPERS
If you like them have a listen to their song - Corned Beef Kelly Osbourne, it's funny as ....

What's this bit for again?

Noire

I own a Mega Buster. I've also been equipped with a Variable Weapons System, allowing me to steal your abilities by defeating you in battle.

I also own a Wondershot that Lucca gave me. I'd use it more often, but the variable damage dealt is a turn-off. Still, Lucca gave it to me, and I don't say no to cute glasses-wearing nerdy anime girls.

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

Machu

@Luigi78: TY I'll check that out. Love these guys they make me laugh so much (I am a robot!).

Nobody waps quite like the Welsh.

Rawr!

geek-master

i own some nerf and 2 air soft metal bb guns

This is ground control to major Tom, you've really made the grade. And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

Sean_Aaron

The+Fox wrote:

I'm a bit skeptical of your scenario, though, as if that's all it took the 1930's would have been a bloodbath for the US.

Unlikely since in the 1930s handgun ownership was nowhere near the levels it is today and yes, there were fears of revolution in government -- why do you think Roosevelt instituted the New Deal?

I lived in a working-class neighbourhood in Oakland before leaving the USA, which at the time (and still true today) has one of the highest murder rates in America. At no time did I ever consider any kind of firearm for defense purposes and I did confront people blocking my driveway without thinking anyone would pose a threat to me. They are not necessary. "It's part of my culture" isn't a terribly good explanation for the gun culture in America when Canada has a similar past, but lacks the current obsession. It's unfortunate and I hope someday it fades into history along with the clause of the 2nd Amendment which backs it up.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

The_Fox

Sean+Aaron wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

I'm a bit skeptical of your scenario, though, as if that's all it took the 1930's would have been a bloodbath for the US.

Unlikely since in the 1930s handgun ownership was nowhere near the levels it is today and yes, there were fears of revolution in government -- why do you think Roosevelt instituted the New Deal?

I lived in a working-class neighbourhood in Oakland before leaving the USA, which at the time (and still true today) has one of the highest murder rates in America. At no time did I ever consider any kind of firearm for defense purposes and I did confront people blocking my driveway without thinking anyone would pose a threat to me. They are not necessary. "It's part of my culture" isn't a terribly good explanation for the gun culture in America when Canada has a similar past, but lacks the current obsession. It's unfortunate and I hope someday it fades into history along with the clause of the 2nd Amendment which backs it up.

#1: Well, regarding gun situation in the 1930's, the number was certainly lower in cities. However, back then I'm pretty sure the number of people owning guns outside of cities, and especially in more rural areas, was still huge (not pistols, though; more rifles and shotguns for hunting, etc.).

#2: With the whole "it's part of the culture in the U.S" statement, I never said it was a GOOD explanation, but it is a factor.

#3: Like I said earlier, not too many people are keen on touching the Constitution. And you're forgetting one important factor: the incredible power of the NRA. I'm probably the only gun owner (with as many guns as I have) that isn't a member, mostly due to the fact that I find their influence alarming.

#4: Finally, since you used to live in the U.S, how long did it take for those U's to start sneaking into your writting (such as with neighborhood)?

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Sean_Aaron

The+Fox wrote:

#3: Like I said earlier, not too many people are keen on touching the Constitution.

I think it's a shame. Whilst it's generally good at protecting rights (when actually enforced), the set-in-stone nature of it for the past 40+ years makes it resemble the Bible more than a document of law. It should be able to evolve with society. Frankly I prefer the constitution-less law structures of Canada and the UK -- or pretty much any parliamentary form of government. Having an upper house and strong legal system should be sufficient to offset the downsides of not having an uber law document.

The+Fox wrote:

#4: Finally, since you used to live in the U.S, how long did it take for those U's to start sneaking into your writting (such as with neighborhood)?

Well, I went native early on, but I've been here for nearly 8 years; I'm even starting to embrace the local pronunciation of tomato, though oregano is still going to be closer to the Italiano pronunciation, thanks.

CowLaunch

Sean+Aaron wrote:

I think it's a shame. Whilst it's generally good at protecting rights (when actually enforced), the set-in-stone nature of it for the past 40+ years makes it resemble the Bible more than a document of law. It should be able to evolve with society. Frankly I prefer the constitution-less law structures of Canada and the UK -- or pretty much any parliamentary form of government. Having an upper house and strong legal system should be sufficient to offset the downsides of not having an uber law document.

I too find the black & white adherence to certain historical documents in the US quite alarming. I Guess for such a young nation these things are important.

The UK does have a constitution, it just isn't written down. It's been built up over centuries on the statute books, with precedent etc. Although I like to imagine that there's just one old guy who can remember it all, and when he starts to lose his marbles people in the UK won't know what's going on.

I think the UK form of government has many downsides compared to the US, but one advantage is the seperation of political leadership & symbolic figurehead. So you can criticise the Prime Minister's policies & conduct, but still support Queen & country. This is especially useful in times of war, as the monarch is technically head of the armed forces, so you can attack the PM's decision to go to war, but still support the Queen & the troops. Whereas in America it seems to be that many view criticism of the President as unpatriotic, especially in times of war. The queen is also the UK's tourism industry, but I digress terribly.

CowLaunch

Machu

God Save the Queen!

stands to attention

Rawr!

HEMIII

I should get one before they outlaw them, lmfao. Yeah right that will never happen if it does it would scare the shitz out of me. If people have guns there would be less crime because people would think that if the person they are goin' to commit a crime against had a gun they would be less likely to commit the crime for fear of life. Everyone should be able to carry guns every where period. What if a zombie such as myself walked up on you and you where unawares? You could shot me in my head if I didn't kill you fast enough then you should shot yourself in the head unless you want to see what it's like to be a zombie. Plus it keeps the human population down, duh:)

'The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination.'~H.P.Lovecraft

Machu

So in twenty years (maybe even ten), when the military are using lasers on the battle field. Do you think the population of America will/should upgrade?

Rawr!

Sean_Aaron

CowLaunch wrote:

I think the UK form of government has many downsides compared to the US, but one advantage is the seperation of political leadership & symbolic figurehead. So you can criticise the Prime Minister's policies & conduct, but still support Queen & country. This is especially useful in times of war, as the monarch is technically head of the armed forces, so you can attack the PM's decision to go to war, but still support the Queen & the troops. Whereas in America it seems to be that many view criticism of the President as unpatriotic, especially in times of war. The queen is also the UK's tourism industry, but I digress terribly.

Very much agreed, the fact that The President is often regarded as above criticism in times of war when he's the one leading the charge seems unhelpful. I'm looking forward to Charles taking the throne. The fact that he has opinions seems to upset political leaders, but I find it quite refreshing even if I don't always agree with him.

I have taken The Oath by the way (British Citizenship), and whilst I wouldn't say I'm a monarchist I definitely would be against the UK becoming a republic. I do support Scottish independence, but that's a separate issue!

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

The_Fox

A lot of the fear of changing the Constitution is that no one wants people to get there hands on it and really whack away at it. If you repeal the 2nd Amendment that easily, what's to stop the flood of nut jobs rushing in with their own agendas? Look at those whom want a Constitutional ban on same sex marriage or a ban on abortion. Not matter your stance on the issue, changing the Constitution for a hot button topic of the day is foolish.

I'd also like to reiterate that I'm not calling those who oppose gay marriage and abortion nut jobs, just those looking to sneak their worldview into the Constitution.

-President John Adams

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.