Forums

Topic: Do you Blog? Share it!

Posts 61 to 76 of 76

bboy2970

Hey guys. I just started this blog a few days ago because I was bored. Its my first ever internet thing I've ever done so forgive me if it isn't that great (and it probably isn't). The basic idea is that every day I feature some item on my blog out of my Nintendo collection and talk about it a little bit as well as inform readers how to get their own and about how much it will run them. So its basically a source of info for expanding your own collection as well as just reading about different items (some of them very obscure) out of Nintendo's history. Anyway, you can find my blog here: http://nintendocollectibles.blogspot.com/

Feedback would be much appreciated!

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

LittleKing

bboy2970 wrote:

Hey guys. I just started this blog a few days ago because I was bored. Its my first ever internet thing I've ever done so forgive me if it isn't that great (and it probably isn't). The basic idea is that every day I feature some item on my blog out of my Nintendo collection and talk about it a little bit as well as inform readers how to get their own and about how much it will run them. So its basically a source of info for expanding your own collection as well as just reading about different items (some of them very obscure) out of Nintendo's history. Anyway, you can find my blog here: http://nintendocollectibles.blogspot.com/

Reading it as I'm writing this.

Well, first thing I notice is the relatively dark red text on the black background. It makes it hard to read, and somewhat distracting. I'd recommend either going to white text on black, black text on white or at least making the red brighter and more visible. As for the writing itself, I actually didn't read too much due to the color scheme, but I didn't find any serious issues. I did occasionally get confused, mostly due to the lack of a comma or two.

Specifically, you tend to use "which" a lot, but never place a comma before it. As a general rule, most of the time when you use "which" a comma should go before-hand, and if you use "that" you don't need one.

I, myself, have terrible grammar at times—read some of my articles (or forum posts) and I'm sure you'll find numerous mistakes. You have pretty good grammar for the internet. Overall, good job so far. Also, you might want to be more informal and personal. For instance, your Epic Mickey Figurine post basically just states facts about it. "It could be gotten by/from X, it is Y inches tall, you can probably find one of your own for Z dollars at/on eBay." Flavor it up! Try taking a more casual approach. Here's what I'd (probably) write:

"This cool Epic Mickey figurine came with my copy of the Collector's Edition of Epic Mickey for Wii, released in 2010 by Disney. It has perfectly captured classic Mickey with his magical paintbrush, and at around 5 inches tall it looks marvelous on top of my TV! Along with the figurine, my Collector's Edition of Epic Mickey (which I pathetically dished out $69.99 for, sucker that I am) came with some decals for the Wii and its remote, as well as a bonus DVD containing a "behind-the-scenes" of the game. If you want your own Epic Mickey figurine, you probably won't have to pay as much as I did. The full Collector's Edition of Epic Mickey can be found on eBay, brand new, for as low as 40 bucks, with the figurine by itself going for 15 to 20 dollars."

Edited on by LittleKing

LittleKing

BleachFan

@Snoozerbear: Your (brother?) does seem to add some spice to the blog. Nice to see a lot of variety in the posts.

Just a heads up, though. Sometimes the whole "not meaning to say something and crossing stuff out" gag gets old, if done too much in a single post. That might just be me though. It doesn't seem to come up often enough to be a problem.

Edited on by BleachFan

I'm working on a game that's coming out soon!
Cipher Trailer

V8_Ninja

For those that didn't notice; I have a new entry on my blog where I give my thoughts on Minecraft. The article can be summed up like this; I like Minecraft's experience that it gives but I'm not a huge fan of the lack of content that exists within the worlds. The link to my blog is in my signature.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Chrono_Cross

You see, the thing about Minecraft is: You make the game as you go. There isn't a designated purpose for you to achieve up until the point where you make it.

As for your other complaints, they're debatable, lol. But that's your opinion so we'll leave it at that.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

LittleKing

BleachFan wrote:

@Snoozerbear: Your (brother?) does seem to add some spice to the blog. Nice to see a lot of variety in the posts.

Just a heads up, though. Sometimes the whole "not meaning to say something and crossing stuff out" gag gets old, if done too much in a single post. That might just be me though. It doesn't seem to come up often enough to be a problem.

I knew you'd think brother. It's actually my father. Shocking revelations!

Yeah, too many strikethroughs does get a little old. I'll try to keep that in mind.

LittleKing

bboy2970

SnoozerBear wrote:

bboy2970 wrote:

Reading it as I'm writing this.

Well, first thing I notice is the relatively dark red text on the black background. It makes it hard to read, and somewhat distracting. I'd recommend either going to white text on black, black text on white or at least making the red brighter and more visible. As for the writing itself, I actually didn't read too much due to the color scheme, but I didn't find any serious issues. I did occasionally get confused, mostly due to the lack of a comma or two.

Specifically, you tend to use "which" a lot, but never place a comma before it. As a general rule, most of the time when you use "which" a comma should go before-hand, and if you use "that" you don't need one.

I, myself, have terrible grammar at times—read some of my articles (or forum posts) and I'm sure you'll find numerous mistakes. You have pretty good grammar for the internet. Overall, good job so far. Also, you might want to be more informal and personal. For instance, your Epic Mickey Figurine post basically just states facts about it. "It could be gotten by/from X, it is Y inches tall, you can probably find one of your own for Z dollars at/on eBay." Flavor it up! Try taking a more casual approach. Here's what I'd (probably) write:

"This cool Epic Mickey figurine came with my copy of the Collector's Edition of Epic Mickey for Wii, released in 2010 by Disney. It has perfectly captured classic Mickey with his magical paintbrush, and at around 5 inches tall it looks marvelous on top of my TV! Along with the figurine, my Collector's Edition of Epic Mickey (which I pathetically dished out $69.99 for, sucker that I am) came with some decals for the Wii and its remote, as well as a bonus DVD containing a "behind-the-scenes" of the game. If you want your own Epic Mickey figurine, you probably won't have to pay as much as I did. The full Collector's Edition of Epic Mickey can be found on eBay, brand new, for as low as 40 bucks, with the figurine by itself going for 15 to 20 dollars."

Thanks a lot for the advice! A lot of what you said made sense. I made some changes and tried to make today's post a little more loose sounding.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

holchasaur

I recently started my first blog. It's definitely a work in progress. I like to write about video games, movies, TV, music, comic books, 90's nostalgia and other random topics.

http://addgeneration.tumblr.com/

Also looking for interesting new blogs to follow on Tumblr so follow me so I can follow you back!

Reviews Editor, Pure Xbox
Reviewer, Nintendo Life

3DS Friend Code: 4081-6881-1012 | Nintendo Network ID: DaveRandall | Twitter:

Sean_Aaron

Yes I do, link is in the signature. Almost exclusively Wii reviews with links back to all the reviews I've done at Nintendo Life.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

StarBoy91

I just finished my Top 50 SNES/SFC countdown on my blog today, so I felt like sharing it with you; I separated it into parts because I included some personal, descriptive summaries for each game. Here are the links in case anyone's interested:
Part 1 (50-41)
Part 2 (40-31)
Part 3 (30-21)
Part 4 (20-11)
Part 5 (10-1)

Summarizing my thoughts on different games on the same page was more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Let me know what you all think if you decide to read it.
Please leave a comment!

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

holchasaur

RetroLuma91 wrote:

I just finished my Top 50 SNES/SFC countdown on my blog today, so I felt like sharing it with you; I separated it into parts because I included some personal, descriptive summaries for each game. Here are the links in case anyone's interested:
Part 1 (50-41)
Part 2 (40-31)
Part 3 (30-21)
Part 4 (20-11)
Part 5 (10-1)

Summarizing my thoughts on different games on the same page was more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Let me know what you all think if you decide to read it.
Please leave a comment!

Good list and good read. Although I'd like it much more if a DKC game was in the top 10

Reviews Editor, Pure Xbox
Reviewer, Nintendo Life

3DS Friend Code: 4081-6881-1012 | Nintendo Network ID: DaveRandall | Twitter:

Odnetnin

He's just being a humble chicken. Blog's fantastic like everything else he writes.
although i've been a little scared of it lately 'cause of wes anderson month (the only movie i've seen of his is fantastic mr. fox and chicken doesn't like it)

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

StarBoy91

Thank you, d-lister, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

ADaviii

I do! I actually just completed a blog post today on my tumblr!

ad3supa.tumblr.com.

I can't wait to read everyone else's blog, though. It's always cool hearing different thoughts on different subjects .

Be kind to yourself and to others.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.