Forums

Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars VII coming in 2015

Posts 61 to 80 of 204

e-love

Star Wars: Episode VII: A Destroyed Hope

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

the_shpydar

As a life long, huge Star Wars fan, i'm not sure what to think about this. I'm fine with it so long as Disney acts with Lucasfilm much as they have done with Marvel — a mostly hands-off approach. They've done wonders with Marvel, and their abundance of TV networks and the general Disney marketing-machine is nothing but beneficial.

I expect they'll operate exactly that way — letting Lucasfilm operate pretty much independently, and just providing the exposure and finance that Disney does so well.

I'm not sure how i feel about another trilogy — it'll depend on what they do with it, i guess; whether they adapt any existing EU stories or just go for something completely new. At the end of the day, i'll be happy for more Star Wars either way.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Drobotic

Wait.So does this means we get a Lego Star Wars IV with Mickey Mouse?

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

KingDunsparce

Oh god, I have a bad feeling about this.

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6384-0441 | Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

Chrono_Cross

Drobotic wrote:

I hope not. Those games are bad enough as it is.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

CerealKiller528

Yay. I'm so excited......This is the best day ever...MOAR STAR WARS FOR EVERYONE BECAUSE WE NEEDED MORE STAR WARS.................

Edited on by CerealKiller528

Just a guy making solo music using Garageband.

GrumpyGoomba

Sooner or later disney will own the world.

Edited on by GrumpyGoomba

GrumpyGoomba

Chunky_Droid

I'm glad that George Lucas will now back off from the movies, I know they're his creation and all, but the franchise needs a new direction.

BRYAN SINGER PLEASE

Chunky_Droid

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0236-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Chunky_Droid | Twitter:

I-U

I'm actually happy about this, and the idea of a Star Wars Episode VII. I enjoyed 1-6, so this will definitely get me wanting to go to the movies more than the superhero movies currently do. Can't wait to see the future lightsaber duels in store for the big screen.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Drobotic

theblackdragon wrote:

Drobotic wrote:

hidden mickeys

Like the ones in their movies?

Edited on by Drobotic

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

Bankai

I expect they'll operate exactly that way — letting Lucasfilm operate pretty much independently, and just providing the exposure and finance that Disney does so well.

Companies don't make $4 billion acquisitions to then go in and tear the heart out of the acquired company.

The only time that kind of acquisition happens is when it's a failing company with a lot of patents or other IP.

Last I checked LucasArts isn't a failing company.

It saddens me that people do so much knee-jerking and armchair-experting over business decisions that aren't actually going to have any affect on them.

CanisWolfred

I look at it more as how big a decision it really is, when people love it so much and take it so personally that they act like the world's about to end because of an aquisition.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

I do find this acquisition curious myself. What did Disney have to gain from this? Perhaps they struck a deal with Lucas? Who knows?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

LZCatboi wrote:

What did Disney have to gain from this?

One of the most popular and iconic scifi/fantasy brands out there, of course, plus Indiana Jones and LucasArts.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

the_shpydar

WhiteKnight wrote:

Companies don't make $4 billion acquisitions to then go in and tear the heart out of the acquired company.

The only time that kind of acquisition happens is when it's a failing company with a lot of patents or other IP.

Last I checked LucasArts isn't a failing company.

It saddens me that people do so much knee-jerking and armchair-experting over business decisions that aren't actually going to have any affect on them.

Agreed. People (READ: silly ignorant fanboys) foolishly went nuts when Disney acquired Marvel, and surely there will be a similar backlash to this by the same lot. Meanwhile, nothing has changed at Marvel since that purchase — except the Marvel-brand gets a tremendously higher level of exposure than it did before. Lucasfilm isn't going to be seeing any real changes.

The fact that they're actually pushing towards a new trilogy was going to happen eventually — especially once GL announced he was stepping down as day-to-day head (which, in retrospect, was likely the first sign that the Disney deal was in the works), as GL had only said that he wouldn't be making any more SW movies.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Wheels2050

LZCatboi wrote:

I do find this acquisition curious myself. What did Disney have to gain from this? Perhaps they struck a deal with Lucas? Who knows?

Craploads of money isn't the obvious answer? Star Wars is a merchandise gold mine.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.