Forums

Topic: Disappointment of the Day

Posts 2,381 to 2,400 of 4,151

Happy_Mask

WTV_94 wrote:

Mickey wrote:

@WTV_94 I suggest you be sensitive to "people's" sensitivities. Whether you think they're "overly sensitive" or not.

I am, but there are points where the sensitivities go overboard..

If you don't like the cut of someone's jib, just ignore them. The Internet makes it so easy to disregard the existence of almost anybody.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

Mickey

@WTV_94 Who's to say when their personal sensitivities go overboard? You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but the same goes for them. Once again, I suggest that you be sensitive to people's sensitivities whether you think they go overboard or not. Or, like @Wonder_Mask said, just ignore them if they're too sensitive for your tastes.

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

Gso

GuSilverFlame wrote:

the WiiU is officially released in Brazil now... the price? R$1.899,90(in dollars $822.80) and that's the Mario and Luigi bundle..... man, I need to leave this country...... just for the sake of gaming.....

I used to feel bad about Mexico's high prices and 16% sales tax until I found out about Brazil. Ouch!

Gso

Nintendo Network ID: gisotelog

PanicPuppet

@Mickey I think his actor Ahmed Best (a black actor in case you didn't know) says it best: "Not only do I think that has no validity [Jar Jar being a racial stereotype], I think it's really stupid for anyone to put their own prejudices and their own homophobia on a complete fantasy movie."

Did everyone just forget about the twin robots in Transformers RotF? That's a much better example.

Most hate him just because he was "annoying" which is debatable in of itself. Look at all these kids shows nowadays on stations like CN; Annoying Orange, Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc. I find those infinitely more annoying, than whatever reasoning people have against an honestly tame, harmless, comedic character in a sci-fi movie.

Going by your reasoning, you should probably hate Disney as well. All their cartoons like Dumbo and such, with crows being stand-ins for black people, the infamous controversial film Song of the South, the deleted scene from Fantasia, the indians in Peter Pan, etc. etc. Racism is always going to exist and be a recurring issue, letting it ruin something like Star Wars or a Disney cartoon for you won't do you any good.

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

CanisWolfred

Yeah, I never got the extreme hate for Jar-Jar. I never liked him - he wasn't that funny to me and felt more like pandering than a necessary character, but he was harmless, hardly an aspect of those movies worth giving so much attention to, at least compared to the zillion other flaws.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

PanicPuppet

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yeah, I never got the extreme hate for Jar-Jar. I never liked him - he wasn't that funny to me and felt more like pandering than a necessary character, but he was harmless, hardly an aspect of those movies worth giving so much attention to, at least compared to the zillion other flaws.

I'd prefer you're approach to the thousands of SW "fans" who hoop and holler in triumph over a fake deleted scene showing him "die." Its embarrassing being a SW fan, when the majority act this way towards ONE character.

I've always wondered how different it would be if he was introduced into the OT first. Would people still have an overwhelming hatred against him? Or just leave him be because he was in the "sacred OT?"

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

Mickey

@Austroid I knew Ahmed Best was a black actor which, in my eyes, doesn't give his statements any more validity than if he were white. What he basically says is that it's really stupid to be offended by something they're offended by because the movie's setting is complete fantasy. The only thing that's complete fantasy in that statement is the notion that it's really stupid to be offended by something that is on a complete fantasy movie. Now I shouldn't have to explain to you why you can be offended by fantasy movies so instead I'll just post a picture.
Untitled
I think that about sums it up.

Nobody forgot the twin robots from Transformers 2. We don't need to 'pick' a specific racist character. Humans are complex creatures so we can pick multiple racist characters at once.

I'm gonna agree with you on the "Most hate him just because he was "annoying" which is debatable in of itself." I forgot to mention this in my original post (and I deserve all of the flack I got from you for doing so) so I'll mention it now: Some (let's not generalize) of the people who complain about Jar Jar because he's "annoying" are idiots. And you have every right to defend Jar Jar for that. What you don't have a right to do is decide for everyone that he is a "tame, harmless, comedic character in a sci-fi movie." People can (and should) be allowed to think that his character or personality or even appearance is harmful to them. Whether it's physical harm or just plain being hurt by what looks like a character that's making fun of your race. You can go on about how it wasn't intentional or how it's not "as racist" as other things, but the fact of the matter is: People can be offended by things. You may not have said that you were against that directly, but your words did for you.

Your bringing-up of the rampant racial-stereotypes in old Disney movies as a sort of stinger (because I suppose I have to hate whatever has a racist thing in it) is ultimately useless. You clearly misinterpreted my reasoning and, because of that, you've made several good points that are now (sadly) irrelevant. I don't hate Star Wars because I think Jar Jar is racist, I don't hate Star Wars or Disney at all. I can dislike a part of a character in the franchise (just like how I can acknowledge that there are racist things in old Disney movies) without hating the entire franchise (or company).

People can hate Jar Jar and people can like Jar Jar. I personally can't overlook the very questionable design and concept of the character, but if you can: more power to you. Just don't get too pissed off if someone comes out and says that they dislike Jar Jar.

EDIT: By the way, people can dislike things in the OT just as well as they can dislike things in the PT. If he were in the OT, he'd most likely be regarded the same way that Ewoks are regarded by many. Annoying, made to sell toys, and unsettling.

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

Auracle

As for my disappointment, I couldn't find any Venipede in Pokemon Y today. Maybe I should just trade for one.

Edited on by theblackdragon

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

Captain_Toad

A new youtube alteration has appeared! .......and it sucks.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

CanisWolfred

Trululu wrote:

Please, @Mickey. Don't talk down to the guy. Things are getting off-topic here anyways and I think it's best if everyone just drops it.

As for my disappointment, I couldn't find any Venipede in Pokemon Y today. Maybe I should just trade for one.

You didn't search the shaking bushes in Route 6?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mickey

Most of the Asian Beetles are gone. They didn't leave, they're just gone. What that means is: dead Asian Beetles are everywhere...

The Mousekeloggery

Happy_Mask

Mickey wrote:

Most of the Asian Beetles are gone. They didn't leave, they're just gone. What that means is: dead Asian Beetles are everywhere...

Eh, let nature take it's course, the worst that can happen now is a bunch of birds swarming your house, eating all of the Asian beetles, and then you. n_n

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

Snagrio

Wonder_Mask wrote:

Mickey wrote:

Eh, let nature take it's course, the worst that can happen now is a bunch of birds swarming your house, eating all of the Asian beetles, and then you. n_n

/Insert Birdemic reference here

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Auracle

CanisWolfred wrote:

Trululu wrote:

Please, @Mickey. Don't talk down to the guy. Things are getting off-topic here anyways and I think it's best if everyone just drops it.

You didn't search the shaking bushes in Route 6?

I didn't realize that there were shaking bushes on that route.
Oh well. I already got one in a trade. Good info, though.

Edited on by Auracle

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

iwanttodie

I read this page of the thread

STOP BRINGING THE GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMY
mods delete me
OOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY DOWN MAN
PLAY NI NO KUNI AND ...

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8775-4247 | Nintendo Network ID: Shadowing27

PanicPuppet

@GuardianKing They had to turn my "dissappointment of the day" into a full-fledged discussion. They didn't need to make that one comment, and morph mine into some misinterpretation.

This is the second time I've had an issue with that particular user...

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

GuSolarFlare

found the lower half of my old GBA SP..... now I'm down because I remembered how careless I am.....

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

GuardianKing

@Austroid Aww... Second time... Do you want a lollipop to make you feel better? Here, ask your mama to kiss the boo-boo.

Honestly, there are going to be people you just can't see eye to eye with everywhere you go; you either learn to deal with them or get burned trying. Basically, I'm telling you to suck it up.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.