Forums

Topic: Disappointment of the Day

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 4,347

Mickey

So I was reading about the development of Oz the Great and Powerful and I found this hilarious quote from Joe Roth. Producer of the movie.

...during the years that I spent running Walt Disney Studios — I learned about how hard it was to find a fairy tale with a good strong male protagonist. You've got your Sleeping Beauties, your Cinderellas and your Alices. But a fairy tale with a male protagonist is very hard to come by. But with the origin story of the Wizard of Oz, here was a fairy tale story with a natural male protagonist.

Yeah. We've all had enough of those good strong female protagonists. Why can't the men have some time in the spotlight in this female-centric media we have. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that women have been having it too good for too long.

What an idiot.

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Whoomp! There it is! -God, when he created the universe.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter:

GuardianKing

Mickey wrote:

So I was reading about the development of Oz the Great and Powerful and I found this hilarious quote from Joe Roth. Producer of the movie.

...during the years that I spent running Walt Disney Studios — I learned about how hard it was to find a fairy tale with a good strong male protagonist. You've got your Sleeping Beauties, your Cinderellas and your Alices. But a fairy tale with a male protagonist is very hard to come by. But with the origin story of the Wizard of Oz, here was a fairy tale story with a natural male protagonist.

Yeah. We've all had enough of those good strong female protagonists. Why can't the men have some time in the spotlight in this female-centric media we have. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that women have been having it too good for too long.

What an idiot.

...this quote...just...damn it...

You know, that movie literally got me screaming "you myosin it's f**k!" at the director (indirectly of course) in the theaters because I thought it sucked that badly. Glad to know this is the kind of d**k that writes this crap...

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

DawnOverALilly

Well, I was looking for a clean plate to put in the microwave, I found my favorite plate that i have had sence i was 7? but it was dirty, I go to wash it in the bathtub because we don't really have any sinks, or a kittchen for that matter, I go to clean it and I drop it while cleaning it and it broke ;(

Flandre- "I've been in the basement. For about 495 years."
Marisa- "That's sweet, I only get weekends off."
_
Marisa- It's so hot, I'm gonna die here.
Reimu- If you die, I'll feed your corpse to the birds.
Remilia- My, it'd be fine if you'd let me take care of that.
Marisa- That's a definite no.

OptometristLime

You guys can't be serious with this gender stuff, twisting that guy's quote to make him look like a chauvinist.
The way I take it, he was just remarking on a curious trend, in a single genre.

And I like the movie, too; James Franco is my favorite.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

8BitSamurai

I think I've just had my second game system die within a week.

Argh

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter:

Mickey

@DawnOverALilly Aww. Hope it isn't as bad as it sounds.

@8BitSamurai It's too bad that technology goes away eventually. I hope your other systems fare better than the last two.

@OptometristLime The reason I found the quote was because I was interested in seeing the film and this quote has done nothing to change that (Sorry, @GuardianKing!) This is the entire quote from wikipedia:

Producer Joe Roth became involved for nearly the same reason as Kapner, stating that "...during the years that I spent running Walt Disney Studios — I learned about how hard it was to find a fairy tale with a good strong male protagonist. You've got your Sleeping Beauties, your Cinderellas and your Alices. But a fairy tale with a male protagonist is very hard to come by. But with the origin story of the Wizard of Oz, here was a fairy tale story with a natural male protagonist. Which is why I knew that this was an idea for a movie that was genuinely worth pursuing."

The guy just went off on how good women have it with good strong female protagonists like Sleeping Beauty (Aurora. Who's only "strong" character trait, from what I can remember, was playing in the forest by herself with the animals.) Cinderella (Who just had her dreams come true via Godmother and only went out and became a good strong female protagonist in the now non-canon Cinderella III: A Twist in Time.) and Alice (Who, again from what I can remember, just got what she wanted from complaining EDIT: Forgot, it was all a dream.) And bear in mind, I love all three of these characters! But they're not necessarily what I'd complain about when I'm trying to make a point about how hard it is to find good strong male protagonists. If anything, it makes a good case about how hard it is to find a good strong female protagonist. Anyway, he cites them after referring to how hard it is to find a fairy tale with a good strong male protagonist, so if his original intention was not to imply that Aurora, Cinderella, and Alice are strong good female protagonists, the actual quote on wikipedia was twisted. Even if that's the case, this guy's still going off on how hard it was to find a fairy tale with a male protagonist when, really, WHO CARES! It's not like men have been getting the short end of the stick for the past few decades when it comes to fiction. In fact, now that I think about it, we've had plenty of fairy tales of our own! They aren't necessarily called
fairly tales" (and if you're going to try and make a case about how he might have been referring to how hard it is to find a good strong male protagonist in something explicitly called a fairy tale, don't bother) but they're definitely there! We have stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars! Even Superman can be called a fairy tale if you look at it in a certain way! Point is, that guy's complaining on the wrong side of the argument and he deserved the criticism both I and @GuardianKing gave him.

PS: I'm seriously sorry about lying that one time. It was unethical, I already apologized for it but I'm not sure if you saw that so I'll apologize again. It was stupid of me to lie that one time, I should've just dealt with the truth and not try to pretend things are better in an attempt to ease my own conscience.

EDIT: James Franco is my favorite too.

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Miss_Dark

everything is going wrong it's my ONLY week of vacation in an entire year of studying and working and right now i'm ill YAY + a boss of mine (I work for several people as a translator/revisor) sent me a mail that they didn't receive a part of the translation, apparently something went wrong when I was converting their pdf to a word file and 12 pages weren't translated!! that's 3 days work! and they have to send it to their publisher asap cause they're gonna show it during a huge convention... I can't work atm cause I'm too ill and it's too late anyway, so yeah I'm loved and feel like an idiot that I didn't check the pages... on top of that I was gonna get a movie for the film festival here and there was a huge title that I absolutely wanted to provide the subtitles for but oh well someone else got it.. I'll probably get a poopydoodledoggiepoopiedoo title now a few days right before the festival starts so I'll have to work til the middle of the night while school begins next week, my master btw so my most difficult year + a friend of mine let me know that her 1 year old dog probably has cancer

ugh gotta love life sometimes
Please watch the profanity — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

"Il y a un adage qui dit qu'on fait du mal à ceux qu'on aime, mais il oublie de dire qu'on aime ceux qui nous font du mal."

Wii U name: Miss_Dark feel free to add me (but let me know who you are @ NL)
DS code: 1177 8262 3599 Please add me! ^^ (and let me know your code so I can add you too!)

Mickey

@Miss_Dark Well, unless time sits still, I'm sure it'll all be over eventually. I hope things improve at work soon.

The Mousekeloggery

Miss_Dark

Mickey wrote:

@Miss_Dark Well, unless time sits still, I'm sure it'll all be over eventually. I hope things improve at work soon.

yeah I hope so too, I hate failure but I guess it's inevitable in life

"Il y a un adage qui dit qu'on fait du mal à ceux qu'on aime, mais il oublie de dire qu'on aime ceux qui nous font du mal."

Wii U name: Miss_Dark feel free to add me (but let me know who you are @ NL)
DS code: 1177 8262 3599 Please add me! ^^ (and let me know your code so I can add you too!)

GuSolarFlare

the programmer burst in rage today. the motors are running at different speeds(again) and he that said previously "I don't want you guys to mess it up leave it all to me" lost temper because "no one helps" but he bashes anyone's idea if he doesn't understand it..... now the robot isn't going straight, the programmer is raging senseless and the rest of the group wants to buy 2 R$70.00(something close to $35.00) motors instead of fixing the ones we've got..... I'm tired of wasting money on a work when everyone gave up on the competition(we're only still doing it to get the grades, the robot's grade values 30% of the semester....) and that I can't help because my ideas aren't accepted....

moral of this story: never make groups with people who don't work as a group

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

OptometristLime

That goes a long way towards addressing the ambiguity, for me. It's true by specifying a strong male protagonist, there is an uncomfortable element of truth in that neither male nor female protagonists rose above the 'lost damsel' archetype, in the roles for women at least. The stereotypes would have to be lifted out of the equation, otherwise a male protagonist would indeed call the director's sensibilities into question.

In that regard, I agree with you @Mickey

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

GuSolarFlare

Mickey wrote:

What an idiot.

@Mickey I think he meant male characters are always generic perfect dudes with no character development in fairy tales they almost always methodicaly apear save the day and get the girl.... not that female characters were any better in old fairy tales.... the thing is fairy tales are about the tales themselves not character development, so I think it's pointless to think much about it, this is just my opinion everyone's free to ignore it unless it's about some important group work of wich I make part, then I'd like to at least be heard by my group (sorry for mixing my disapointment of the day in my answer to yours I'm still mad at that...)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

GuSolarFlare

my previous post was kind of long so I decided to double post instead of editing it....
Disappointment of today number 2 I didn't see her today... it's worse than any petty fight with group members.... but less expensive I still don't believe they want to buy a new set of motors....

my Backloggery

mamp

Failed my first exam for nursing 2. Luckily if was only by 2 points so I just have to do better for my next exam.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

Mickey

@OptometristLime Okay, then. I'm glad this didn't escalate into a full-scale argument.

@GustavoSF Nothing is pointless to think much about. I get where you're coming from, but that doesn't excuse his very inappropriate complaining. Men are always generic perfect dudes... so? That doesn't hurt anybody, if anything, it's flattering. Whereas, with women in fairy tales, they're captured and get turned into a prize for the man. That isn't as flattering as what the generic perfect dude got, why, it's objectifying. And for Joe Roth to bring up Aurora, Cinderella, and Alice as examples of female protagonists and complain about how bad men have it, well, I just think he may be on the wrong side of the argument is all.

The Mousekeloggery

GuSolarFlare

@Mickey I just found the discussion interesting but I also understand your point of view and it's not wrong either!

my Backloggery

Mickey

@GustavoSF Seriously! It's so nice to have such civil discussions! Thank you for taking my, let's be honest here, impolite deconstruction of your comment and opinion so well! I look forward to having discussions like this more often!

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

GuSolarFlare

@Mickey sure! I like having discussions like this! I just don't like when it goes overboard with anger only from both sides... because if I wanted something like it I'd be more active in the robot's group....

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

my Backloggery

1337man1233

missing burnout on steam sale because i didnt have money

1337man1233

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic