Forums

Topic: Nintendo's current state

Posts 101 to 120 of 130

Socar

Honestly the only thing I want Nintendo to work on is the virtual console and 3D Classics. What's the reason of not having Metroid as a 3D Classic? What's the reason of having GBA on Wii U? Really Nintendo needs another division that ports old games to newer systems. Quite frankly, EAD makes new games and remakes but not ports, SPD barely ports old games to newer systems but they make new games as well. IRD only makes systems and the weakest in the entire division but not much of a problem is the SDD division, the one that does online. There needs to be another division that ports old games and remakes quicker without it being ridiculously slow. True, by doing this Nintendo would make some loss but in the end, it'll make them money because of the demand of old games running to modern systems.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

martinskrtel37

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• Want to play a shooter? Sorry but unless you want to play a game you've likely owned on a previous console, you'll have to wait until May 2015 and even that may not suit your style.

mate i'm not even reading the rest of your post. anyone who rates FPS on consoles needs to go back to the drawing board.

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Grumblevolcano

martinskrtel37 wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• Want to play a shooter? Sorry but unless you want to play a game you've likely owned on a previous console, you'll have to wait until May 2015 and even that may not suit your style.

mate i'm not even reading the rest of your post. anyone who rates FPS on consoles needs to go back to the drawing board.

I'm not looking at this from my own viewpoint but rather the audience Nintendo is desperately trying to take back. Some of them will have gone to smartphones and playing mindless games like Candy Crush but others have gone the way of Microsoft/Sony to experience games like GTA V despite being pre-teen/early teen.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

CM30 wrote:

The Wii U's issues pretty much come down to three or so things:

1. Nintendo seems to hate the idea of marketing, so anywhere that Nintendo isn't already popular is just about a lost cause for them.

2. The Wii U's gimmick wasn't one people wanted, and isn't particularly marketable.

3. The games don't appeal to people outside their core fanbases, because Nintendo's lost sight of what made the originals sell.

4. Third parties hate them, perhaps because of their history with the NES and SNES (or perhaps because they know they'd have to compete with strong first party offerings).

But these are mostly problems that can be overcome, and Nintendo is too rich to become like Sega anyway.

Here's my take on that:

1) Nintendo does actually market their games, just in select mediums. GameInformer, for example, features full 2-4 page ads right in the front page almost every issue there's a major release coming. I see ads on N4G as well. And we all know they run commercials on cartoon networks to get the younger audience. Is it the best use of their dollar? Hard to say, but they do advertise to a reasonable extent.

2) I really don't like hearing legitimate innovations being reduced to bubble gum "gimmicks", but ok. I'm not entirely convinced the gamepad is not wanted any more than the console is not wanted. In fact, if anything I think the gamepad helps sell the system, at least, to those who actually seriously consider it as a possible purchase. Reason I believe this, is because I've had 4 coworkers since launch buy a Wii U after I told them about it, almost all of them non-Nintendo gamers who owned a Wii at one time, and all of them liked (and still do like) the gamepad. It's a small sample size but, it's firsthand feedback.

3) For the most part, the games don't appeal to non-fans because they're not realistic and not heavily advertised as gritty and cool, which is what most people playing games nowadays care about. Granted, most people aren't really what you'd consider a core gamer either, so they value different things than we do. Precision mechanics, innovative and unique gameplay and "art style over visual grunt" mean nothing to most people gaming nowadays. It's a shame, but short of Nintendo selling out our interests in favor of designing games that fall in line with the rest of the AAA industry, there's really nothing that can be done about this. That or open peoples' eyes to what real gaming is all about. Which is exactly what I did with those 4 co-workers-I opened their eyes.

4) I don't think 3rd parties hate them- I seriously doubt anyone is holding a grudge from 20-30 years ago. I think it's just business- the games just don't sell. After all, Nintendo did manage to persuade quite a few third parties to bring AAA titles to Wii U its first year, but not one multi platform game sold more than 300k (save perhaps Rayman Legends I think), most averaged 70-120k, which is absolutely embarrassing. And people wonder why there aren't any 3rd party games- they blame Nintendo, they blame relations, they blame anything they can think of... except the real culprit- no demand. If the games would sell, third parties would already have brought them to Wii U. They're in business to make money, and they're not gonna pass it up if they know they can make it. We don't have to worry about Nintendo doing anything to convince third parties to bring games, because there's only one thing that will convince them, and that's proof that AAA games can sell millions of copies on Wii U. Unfortunately they have proof of exactly the opposite.

So I don't think any of these issues are really solvable. Except for perhaps opening peoples' eyes. The gamers who play mega-budget games, if Nintendo can open their eyes to the broader world of video games, and show them there's more to gaming than just graphics and guns, then Nintendo very well could establish a more sizeable fanbase, and permanently.

I do think that Nintendo had to start at square one after the Wii, due to bad taste left in mouths from shovelware, but so far they're doing an excellent job releasing extremely fun, quality titles. And that's really the one thing they do have control over and can utilize to grow the base. Keep making super fun, fantastic games, and slowly but surely, over the course of the next generation or two, the base will start to grow as more and more people learn the best kept secret in gaming- Nintendo games rock.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

LazerPan

So it beginns...
Nintendo is going to the mobile marked.

R.I.P.

LazerPan

Chrono_Cross

LazerPan wrote:

So it beginns...

R.I.P.

NO NOT THE MOBILE MARKED

what a cool website you linked. I'll have to check it out later

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

LazerPan

Chrono_Cross wrote:

LazerPan wrote:

So it beginns...

R.I.P.

NO NOT THE MOBILE MARKED

what a cool website you linked. I'll have to check it out later

Oh you are using irony. How clever.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles.
This might as well be the first step for Nintendo to end up as 3rd party publisher.

Edited on by LazerPan

LazerPan

gcunit

Nintendo will only use mobile games if they are profitable and strengthen the IP brands. Nintendo banks heavily on the value of its IP and knows the dangers of devaluing the IP by producing sub-par software.

I think it is a good day in the history of mobile gaming. A company with a proven track record for gaming innovation has stepped up to bat. I look forward to seeing how Nintendo will help evolve things away from the uncompelling fluff that currently typifies mobile gaming.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DefHalan

There is a difference between a company licensing their IPs out to a mobile developer and the company making mobile games. I think Nintendo is making the right choice with how they are handling the mobile industry

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Chrono_Cross

LazerPan wrote:

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles.
This might as well be the first step for Nintendo to end up as 3rd party publisher.

Even if it does, the company will obviously not die. (Referring to your "R.I.P." bit.)

This is the best thing to happen to Nintendo since the exploding success of the Nintendo Wii.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

LzWinky

I'm for this decision as well. They will keep the major releases on their main platforms while they will seemingly release some smaller games and apps on mobile

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tasuki

I am sure Nintendo has put alot of thought into this before going through with it. I mean they learned alot from the deals that they made with Sony and Philips. As long as they keep control of their IPs like they did with the DK characters with Rare things should be fine.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Yeah, I hope Nintendo forces DeNA to up the quality of their artstyles.

I was just looking through their games on the Play Store, and most of them (including their other licensed games like the Transformers ones) have a very cheap looking flash style.

I wish they'd have teamed up with Colopl instead.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Socar

Now I'm wondering to get the Wii U or not because of the next system being shown off next year....... I know the Wii U is still far from dead but still.......

Socar

Ok guys, I am a bit worried about this fact that people seem to ask why is it that if Nintendo does things bad, that's ok but for someone else to do it, its bad? Also, this youtube thing is another worrisome problem as well as a lot of youtubers seem to hate Nintendo because of this happening.

DefHalan

Artwark wrote:

Ok guys, I am a bit worried about this fact that people seem to ask why is it that if Nintendo does things bad, that's ok but for someone else to do it, its bad? Also, this youtube thing is another worrisome problem as well as a lot of youtubers seem to hate Nintendo because of this happening.

I don't think there are many times where Nintendo doing something "bad" and others doing something "bad" are the same. Do you have any examples?

Also the YouTube outrage is kinda because YouTube is currently like the Wild West. People are doing whatever they want and get upset when the law actually affects them. Nintendo isn't doing anything wrong and in some ways Nintendo is trying to make YouTubers a more important part of marketing, but since it requires YouTubers to share their money (something they should have been doing before, just no one enforced it) Nintendo is looked at as the bad guy. You cannot use owned intellectual property to make money outside certain things. Those certain things getting shut down on YouTube is a problem with how YouTube flags content, not really Nintendo's fault.

unrandomsam

DefHalan wrote:

Artwark wrote:

I don't think there are many times where Nintendo doing something "bad" and others doing something "bad" are the same. Do you have any examples?

Two that come to mind are :

Not offering Game of the Year or Complete Editions of games. (Everybody except Nintendo does that).

That Smash Bros costume DLC is on par with the absolute worst other companies have done and it is only pack 1.

Things like the Fire Emblem Awakening DLC that allows you to easily get gold is as bad as any other pay to win DLC.

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

CanisWolfred

unrandomsam wrote:

Things like the Fire Emblem Awakening DLC that allows you to easily get gold is as bad as any other pay to win DLC.

Please, if you're gonna reference the bad DLC in Awakening, point out the overpowered units that make the streetpass battles and local multiplayer so rediculously unbalanced, I can't help but wonder why those features [Multi/Streetpass] are in it at all...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

unrandomsam wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Two that come to mind are :

Not offering Game of the Year or Complete Editions of games. (Everybody except Nintendo does that).

That Smash Bros costume DLC is on par with the absolute worst other companies have done and it is only pack 1.

Now not offering GOTY editions is bad? When did that change? It use to be bad to offer those versions because people felt ripped off for buying the game ($60) then all the DLC for more then other people are able to get the game with all the DLC for the price of just the game.
-Plus how many games could Nintendo offer a GOTY version for? Pikmin 3? Maybe Fire Emblem Awakening?

Costumes are nothing new in fighting games, I think people are able to ignore them now unless they want them.

I haven't played any of the Fire Emblem DLC so I cannot comment on that.

Edited on by DefHalan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.