Forums

Topic: Cosplay

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

Bankai

Has anyone else ever been to an otaku convention of some kind with all the people dressing up in cosplays and so on and so forth?

Cosplay has a bad reputation as a bunch of people dressing and acting silly, but after covering an event on the weekend, and seeing for the first time up close, I’ve got to say I’m impressed.

The whole event had such a good, happy vibe, and everyone there took everything in good faith – there was some silliness, but frankly most of it was no better or worse than any other kind of performance art.

And indeed some of the costumes were artistic. You could tell that some of these guys took their fun very seriously.

So, while I’m not about to go and throw on a cosplay suit of my own, my perception of these guys has changed big time from the kind of crap reputation that the less pleasant people out there perpetuate.

Has anyone else had experience with cosplay, or similar kinds of anime/ manga/ games conventions?

HolyMackerel

I have a number of friends who do cosplay for conventions and photoshoots. All good fun. I don't do it though.

HolyMackerel

Tasuki

I dont get any conventions where I live and they are too far away for me to get to with out making a weekend out of it. I have seen them on the net and tv and such and would like to go to one but I guess my city isnt good enough for one or something.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

HolyMackerel

My favourite cosplays are either the really technically challenging ones, or the ones of characters that just look like very stylish normal people (TWEWY cosplay, for example).

Although the vast majority of the western cosplay I've seen on the internet have been pretty horrifying, tbqh.

HolyMackerel

The_Fox

For the past two summers I've taken a second job walking about various midwest comic, anime and cosplay conventions dressed up as different characters promoting releases for different products.

The anime conventions are always the worst, as you get the people that take the sh*t way too seriously. The cosplay conventions certainly have an equal amount of incredibly nerdy attendees but everything seems way more laid back. As a bonus, there are always some surprisingly hot chicks at cosplay conventions wearing skimpy costumes.

as a side note, if you're attending one of those midwest events next summer and see a guy dressed as a giant green furry...thing handing out promotional materials, please don't pat it on the snout. You're poking me in the eyes through the costume, for crying out loud.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

LordJumpMad

This Thread sounds like something that Reala would come up with.

This whats happens when cosplay goes to far
Untitled

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Adam

I don't understand what people have against "cosplay." People have been wearing costumes for ages. No one makes fun of people for having Halloween parties. I don't really see why it even needs a new word. I'm not sure what it involves exactly: do they have to make the costume themselves? do they have to act in-character? But either way, this isn't new either. If I were good with coming up with costume ideas and putting them together, I'd do it. A Flint costume might be embarrassing due to certain associations people have with grown men dressing like cowboys, but if I had one, I would not hesitate to don a Commander Video outfit.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Hokori

Saddly no.... even though I am an Otaku (look at name)

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Axoloth

Yeah I've tried it once.
I dressed up in nothing but a tight rope, and Reala dressed up in latex and had a whi-
Wait, what are you talking about, exactly?

I have a Backloggery now! Nothin' fancy, but feel free to add me as a friend.
[21:15] Axoloth joined the conversation
[21:16] Axoloth: I love you, dead chat
[21:17] dead chat runs away
[21:17] dead chat has left the convers...

Reala

Can't say I've been to an anime convention myself, also I'll have to plead the 5th wit regards to what's in my wardrobe but here are a few of favs from browsing the net, enjoy:

Mr Mime:
Untitled

Birdo:
Untitled

Birdo
Untitled

Snake:
Untitled

Edited on by Reala

Reala

edhe

reala wrote:

Snake:
Untitled

Or...

Untitled

(Plus, Mr. Mime looks like jigsaw!!)
Untitled

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Adam

It's not like anime conventions are crawling with cute boys, either, in all likelihood. I think you need to lower your standards.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.