Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,548

Heavyarms55

@WoomyNNYes It's very rural, but it's still Japan. You gotta remember this isn't a large country. And yeah, we do have one, old, private train line. I guess JR is technically private too but still. It's good enough though, I can ride it into town and easily transfer to a main line.

Anyway, yes, the kids do walk or ride bikes. It's rural farm fields. The only dangerous things are idiot drivers screaming down the road in the middle of the night at stupid speeds occasionally.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ogo79

people on unemployment dont need an additional 1200 per month in america.
if yer staying home because yer afraid of going to work and catching the virus, i agree with that act.
however...if yer staying home because yer lazy and arent afraid of catching the virus and want free money, its time to get back to work and stop stealing money.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

HistoricKombat

@ogo79

Unemployed people are required to search to for work while under unemployment. In my state, people under unemployment are required to submit weekly activities included earnings and job searches. Unemployment can be taken away from the unemployed if they are not actively looking for employment.

HistoricKombat

ogo79

@MortalKombat2007
yeah but they can make up fake work searches.
im on the fence about it sometimes, right now im sure its not easy looking for a job.
my deal is the people that are taking advantage of the situation.
i took a leave of absence to play it safe due to the virus.
ive been on unemployment myself several times. i just hope that people are staying home from work like i was to avoid getting sick, and getting loved ones sick as well.
ive been on quarantine or whatever you wanna call it for over 3 months now.
im bored sitting home, id like to go back to work. got to risk it a little and go back to work very soon.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

jump

ogo79 wrote:

people on unemployment dont need an additional 1200 per month in america.

If someone doesn’t have a job them they are far more likely to need money than people who have income coming in. $1.2k was such a random number to pass out rather than looking at the cost of living from area to area and adjusting it.

In any case never understand why people chose to target the poor for needing help rather than the rich who cheat out of paying their fair share.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Tasuki

@MortalKombat2007 Not true. I have been on furlough since April and because I do have a job that I will be returning to in a few weeks actually, on the reports I did for unemployment I didn't have to report any job searches in fact I didn't have to look for anything these past few months.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

HobbitGamer

@Tasuki Correct. The requirement to seek employment was waived in most if not all states.

@jump To clarify, the $1200 stimulus isnt unemployment. The federal unemployment supplement is $600/week in addition to the state amount. The state amounts largely differ, as it's a $330/week max in Georgia.
While I understand the sentiment, I often disagree with the "fair share" argument in terms of taxes. And this isn't to dismiss your opinion, just explain why it boggles me. It's just that since the income tax brackets are tiered, it already is set up that way. Make more, pay more. Then there's things like my property tax, in which hundreds of dollars go to school districts that I don't attend or have any children. I completely understand why, and I'm okay with it, but that isn't really my "fair share". Ive learned that in most general cases, "fair share" really means " far more money disproportionate to the measured income". But I digress

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Dezzy

WoomyNNYes wrote:

@Octane Since disinformation and reckless anecdotes are such a problem here in the US, I posted that very recent hydroxychloroquine study.

Rather ironically, after you made the point about disinformation, the Lancet study on hydroxychloroquine has since been retracted after they found out that the data was apparently falsified by the researchers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/authors-retract-study-that-found...

It genuinely looks like they might have invented fake data simply to make Trump look bad. A few years ago, I wouldn't have believed anyone would do that. But I'm seeing a complete breakdown in trust and professionalism amongst so many "experts" at the moment, that it seems entirely possible they just deliberately lied.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

Rather ironically, after you made the point about disinformation, the Lancet study on hydroxychloroquine has since been retracted after they found out that the data was apparently falsified by the researchers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/authors-retract-study-that-found...

So I don't know if that is even the story since it is a SUBSCRIBE TO VIEW OUR NEWS STORY situation, but trusting one study is often a mistake, don't do it. Local news stations always bringing up how everything ever is bad for you actually, according to this one study once, made that pretty apparent to me after a while.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Zeldafan79

You know what i love about the way restaurants are dealing with this? Now that some places are opening up we got one subway, Pizza hut etc that will let you in the dining room to eat and another in the same town owned by the same owners who still won't. Could we at least get some consistency with these Idiotic precautions and rules? It's bad enough i can't even go into a walmart without seeing strips of tape all over the aisles telling me which way I'm allowed to walk. For fugs sake!

Even though the lockdowns are lifting the concept of going out for anything isn't very appealing. Sure wish somebody would hurry up and invent spaceships already! I want off this damn planet!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

jump

@HobbitGamer Whilst income tax is tiered it doesn’t mean billionaires are paying it as their main sources are capital gains and dividends which have lower tax rates than salaries. There’s also plenty of tricks like company owners giving themselves relatively small salaries to avoid tax but then have their company own their home, car as well as giving themselves cash advances which aren’t paid back until they sell their share of the company. People declaring their company bankrupt to avoid debts and then purchasing the company’s assets for a less than the debts. There’s the long ongoing issue of tax havens to legally avoid paying tax. Plus hundred of other loopholes.

I don’t know any Yankee stats of the top of my head but in to the UK there was £34b of capital gains last year with it averaging out as less than a million paid per person out of 9k people.

With that said I do feel bad for higher tax rates for people who have shorter windows to make that money like indie bands or athletes.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

ogo79

jump wrote:

In any case never understand why people chose to target the poor for needing help rather than the rich who cheat out of paying their fair share.

oh trust me i agree with that

the_shpydar wrote:

Heavyarms55

Anyone else find it interesting like much of society has started acting like the virus is beaten and we're all ready to move on, while thousands still die from it every day and it is spreading like crazy still in the US, Brazil, Russia and India?

People can get used to anything. I am starting to think that COVID-19 is just here to stay. We just have to get used to the risk of infections from now on.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

gcunit

@Heavyarms55 That's been the situation since March. But we were going from a point of zero awareness, zero restrictions, so it was spreading like wildfire without people realising. Hence all the talk about 'flattening the curve'. It wasn't about beating the virus, it was about managing the load on the health services (and politicians saving their skin from all the flak of massive death figures).

Now the spread, in most countries, going by official figures, is somewhat controlled, and awareness is up, which makes it manageable.

But the virus has always been likely here to stay unless some wonder vaccine and testing products are produced to allow us to eradicate it. But even with the best science can muster, if eradicating it is at all realistic, it's likely to take years to achieve, given how invisibly, silently and readily this thing spreads.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

HistoricKombat

@Tasuki

That is because you still have a job. Furloughed employees such as you & I were the exception.

@ogo79

That is called insurance fraud which can lead into legal trouble. Not only people who are caught committing insurance fraud will have to pay back their unemployment but fines as well and possibly jail time.

In your case, it seems you still have a job and took sometime off to stay safe. It is probably best to let the unemployment office know this which I assume you already done. It also maybe best to educate yourself about your unemployment laws in your area.

HistoricKombat

WoomyNNYes

@kkslider5552000 @Dezzy Yeah, I'm going to go back and retract my comment with that hydroxychloroquine study that was released on the Lancet. I've heard Neil Degrasse Tyson talk about the peer reviewed journal world, and it's always been full of noise. It's not as perfect as pristine as a lot of people think. Real emerging truths require lots of data, lots of studies & sources, and time. The Lancet is right to retract it if it was bogus. That's what a proper peer reviewed journal does. The problem is when bogus/flawed studies are not retracted.

As far as I've seen there still isn't credible data to back up the hyrdroxychloroquine effectiveness against covid-19. Which would mean it's still anecdotal, at best - not a basis for doctors to prescribe it for covid-19 symptoms. If evidence emerges that it's effective against covid-19, I very much welcome it, since my goal is truth. And, effective treatments for deadly covid-19 symptoms would be nice. I don't care where it comes from, as long as it works.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Dezzy

@Heavyarms55

Lockdown in the US is basically over now. The political dynamics of it has guaranteed that. The people who were against the lockdown from the start were all conservative/libertarian types. Then the people who all ignored the rules for protest marches were liberal/progressive types. That leaves no major mainstream voices who have any legitimacy to say you need to remain locked down even longer.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

darkfenrir

Legit saw pictures of accounts that said quarantine during the pandemic is that it's their right to go out and stuff, while the moment people protested immediately said that "government told you to stay in, so you stay in"

like... wow. Some people are wack. (This is pointing out to same account, not the ones that said nothing during quarantine or said nothing during this protest)

darkfenrir

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic