Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 941 to 960 of 1,548

Octane

@Heavyarms55 No, there were definitely conspiracies when 4G launched. I think they've gained more attention now because it occurs roughly at the same time when a global pandemic is going on as well.

Octane

Heavyarms55

@Octane Fair enough. I wasn't nearly as active online at that point. That was around 2009-2010 right? At that point all I did was play games online or watch YouTube. I wasn't really on any forums and didn't follow the news at all. Oh high school... I don't miss 90% of how my life was at that point, but some ignorance really was bliss...

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

LzWinky

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@Octane Fair enough. I wasn't nearly as active online at that point. That was around 2009-2010 right? At that point all I did was play games online or watch YouTube. I wasn't really on any forums and didn't follow the news at all. Oh high school... I don't miss 90% of how my life was at that point, but some ignorance really was bliss...

Around that time, I was posting crap about how @ogo79 is old

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy There's plenty of explanations for that. Sea travel was the main cause of the spread of the black plague, because of all the rats that they took with them on board and of course, it also happened during the height of international trade routes (spice trails and such) and discovery travels, so yeah...

@Octane @Heavyarms55 There's been radiation conspiracy theories ever since the first mobile phone network expanded, so during the "2G" era, so to speak. It only intensified with each new iteration. With 3G, people were talking about how keeping the smart phone close to your head for prolonged times, would cause "bubbles" in the brain, or even radiation sores or cancer cells.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Dezzy

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@Octane What I want to know is why first through 4G were okay. I don't recall that conspiracy prior to 5G starting. :/

Ner it's been going for ages. There was a massive scare around mobile phones causing brain cancer when they became commonly used. It's the same worry.

Mostly seems to come from people just disliking the word "radiation" because it sounds a bit like "radioactive", which everyone knows is bad.

Then when you explain to people that visible light and heat are also types of radiation, they just look a bit confused.

It's the exact same kind of knee jerk response that makes people dislike Nuclear power, which you also can't rationally justify with actual data.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ogo79

LzWinky wrote:

Around that time, I was posting crap about how @ogo79 is old

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

WoomyNNYes

EDIT: the study I cited from The Lancet regarding hydroxychloroquine has been found to be bogus or flawed, and been retracted. Since truth is all I care about, and I don't care about politicians, I've deleted the original contents of this comment. If it's bogus, it's bogus.

The link to the study was dead.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Octane

@WoomyNNYes I don't even know what to say.

Expecting that any random drug is also going to help against COVOD-19 is just plain stupid. Just because it is used to cure malaria, doesn't mean it cures anything.

I've seen plenty of people saying there's no harm in taking hydroxychoroquine, even if it doesn't work, but they are ignoring the harmful side effects. And the fact that some people do rely on it for other medical reasons, and may not be able to get it due to shortages.

Octane

jump

At least it's a drug now rather than injecting disinfectant into yourself. They are getting closer to the cure!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

WoomyNNYes

@Octane Since disinformation and reckless anecdotes are such a problem here in the US, I posted that very recent hydroxychloroquine study.

'Tendo liker

HobbitGamer

Okay. Should we also find an article about how alcohol doesn't cure CoViD, especially when it's bootlegged from methanol? Cuz some Iranian citizens unfortunately did that too.

If someone wants to take something without the medical consultation of a doctor (especially something that requires a scrip), that's really on them. And if someone is coming to Nintendo Life for medical advice, they need to... Ya know... Not.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ogo79

HobbitGamer wrote:

Okay. Should we also find an article about how alcohol doesn't cure CoViD,
And if someone is coming to Nintendo Life for medical advice, they need to... Ya know... Not.

lmao.
if alcohol cures viruses, id be the healthiest man on earth and would have discovered the fountain of youth in aluminum, plastic, and glass containers.
the whole time our cure has been 2 minutes away from my doorstep at a convince store!
the new doctors are convenience store cashiers, thanks thomas, jessie, marsha, and that one young guy that gives me "discounts" on beer.
edit: dr thomas, dr jessie, nurse marsha and that one young guy that gives me "discounts" on beer.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Toy_Link

There were spikes in cases after anti-lockdown protests with one or two thousand people.

How large will the spike be after all these riots all over the nation be with tens of thousands people involved?

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

WoomyNNYes

@Toy_Link Enclosed spaces with lots of talking, where exhaled micro droplets fill the air, appears to be prime speading conditions. Outdoors, where air moves disperses exhaled air, its much harder to spread infection (especially with sunlight). So, going into re-opened businesses is more effective for spreading infection than being outside. But you may have a good point, even though protests are outside, their gathering density & yelling could still be an issue. Yelling makes more micro droplets than regular talking.

Nhk world put a video on YouTube illustrating how effective having windows open is vs. more sealed-up indoor spaces.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Heavyarms55

@Toy_Link @WoomyNNYes It's true that the virus doesn't spread as well outdoors because the air is flowing much more. However I'm still quite worried about it because these people at times aren't just close, they're basically on top of one another. They're dumping milk on each other to help deal with tear gas, many aren't wearing masks. I think the virus spreading through these protests is probably inevitable. But how much it will is uncertain.

All I can say right now is that if/when I return to the US, it wont be the country I left 5 years ago. Thankfully my friends and family have mostly remained safe and healthy with only one distant relative getting the virus and recovering without much issue.

ogo79

america is starting to suck harder than it ever has

the_shpydar wrote:

kkslider5552000

Well, at least now people are regularly discussing something other than the virus.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Heavyarms55

@WoomyNNYes Japan doesn't use school buses like the US does. Most elementary school kids walk to school, while most JHS kids ride bikes. In high school kids either ride bikes or take the train if they go farther. Some Japanese high schools also have dorms.

The numbers of infections in Japan remain very low. That doesn't mean there's not still risk of course but for the moment things aren't bad. Of course after doing class today I can say it's only going to take one person showing up sick for the whole school to get it. Most kids are wearing masks for now. But they still play a lot, no real social distancing going on. The only thing we're still doing is that all club and and other non-class related activities are still postponed or cancelled. So no school festivals or sports days or school trips for the foreseeable future. There's talk of perhaps having them in late fall but it's just talk right now.

Another thing is, all the kids were wearing masks - and then we had class pictures... Everyone standing close together with no masks and the teacher just saying "try not to breathe"... I wish I were joking.

But like I said, the numbers in Japan are low and at least in my town, which is very very rural, there have been no cases. In the closest city there has been, but not in this town. Officially anyway.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic