Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 641 to 660 of 1,548

WoomyNNYes

@Tyranexx Yeah, unfortunately, since the virus is brand new, they haven't had enough time to test & gather data to pin down exactly which conditions spread infection, be it environmental or human (outdoor vs indoor, ventilated vs non ventilated, humidity, climate)(which people are more susceptible & why, which human interactions spread it, etc). So, all they have are educated guesses based on previous viruses until they can observe enough cases, test, and collect enough data. - which, as we've seen, appears to take longer than a few months. I honestly don't know if they need a year? Unfortunately collecting controlled data samples of hundreds of thousands of people (or more) from around the world in different conditions takes time.

They are just now becoming certain that smoking creates an enzyme in the lungs that makes smokers more easily infected with the virus. And these people get some of the worst symptoms - which leads to fatalities.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yeah, I can imagine the commotion. We get the news about it every day here, and my favorite late night talk show has now basically become COVID-daily, and the hostess of that show is half-American, like me, so she shows and talks a lot about what's happening on your side of the pond.

And as mentioned before, which you've now basically confirmed, it really sounds like all states for themselves, and screw the others (and the media). They can basically all do what they see fit to do, regardless of what's happening in a neighboring state, let alone a state on the other coast.

On a side note: what I meant by look at the numbers, is of course to look at it relatively, so percentage-wise. Today, like yesterday, numbers are stabilizing and/or going down over here, so I think it's safe to say that if we keep that up for the next couple of days, that some cautious optimism is warranted.

Side note #2: did you happen to see Canada's president Trudeau's statement on TV? He agrees with me on the usage of face masks:
https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1247549755946864640
And here's what Canada's Chief Medical Officer had to say:

Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams said in a press conference this afternoon that the Ministry of Health has “never recommended” face masks. Williams acknowledged that while other cultures practice the use of face masks, it would not benefit Canadians to use them according to The Star.

He added that one is better off to avoid putting their hands near their face than the use of face masks. Williams also recommended taking standard fly protocols to protect yourself from the coronavirus.

Face masks quickly and easily become dirty from lack of washing stated Williams, making them even more habitable for germs inside the mask, rather than what could be on the other side.

So, you see? That's what I meant with there not just being any one, single truth or measure against this virus and its effects, because it's different in practically any and all countries.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia That's exactly my problem: mixed signals from the CDC and other authorities.

@Octane There's clear evidence that the masks help prevent the spread if one has it, I'm not disputing that. I just wonder if they're as effective at preventing you from getting it. As you typed, it all seems up to chance. I'm not against people wearing them if they're ill, at risk, or feel more comfortable doing so. As you also mentioned, I don't want to strain the medical supply chain right now.

I'm doing the best I can to not contract and spread it; I'm staying home for the most part and exercising in isolated areas when I do leave my property. Besides the occasional rare errand for food or other essentials, I'm not getting out much. I expect to get it at some point, but I'm less concerned about getting it vs. passing it on to someone more vulnerable.

@WoomyNNYes It does seem to be an evolving situation as we learn more. The best consensus I can find is that it can be spread by contact with contaminated surfaces (and the life of the virus on said surface tends to vary depending on what material it is) and from coughing, sneezing, or the general expulsion of infected saliva within close proximity.

Interesting piece on smoking, by the way. That's a find I wasn't aware of. I personally can't stand tobacco smoke...or most smoke really.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

@Octane Quite frankly the next person that says "lower the curve" is going to get their head on the end of a pike. They had BETTER prevent spread and not just lower the curve. If it's 100% spread they probably should have just kept going and let it spread. The idea of "have enough hospital beds" makes no sense here. You can't afford the hospital bills anyway even with good insurance. If I'm hospitalized due to everyone else's reckless travel I'm not paying a CENT on those bills ever, so the doctors better hope to kill me off if they want money out of it. And I'm hunting down every last person that ever traveled internationally and shaking every last cent out if even if I have to hold them for ransom. THEY caused it. It's their bill. I own them. If it comes to hospital bills it doesn't matter if I'm live or dead, I'm really dead either way. And everyone that ever traveled overseas will have been my murderer. That simple statement sends me into rage beyond what you can imagine.

NEStalgia

BinaryMessiah

@Tyranexx As a nurse, I can tell you wearing the mask order from the CDC was to cast a larger net as people who should be wearing them (those that are infected) weren't. There's a very specific way to go about wearing and discarding these masks, called Aeseptic or Clean Technique, that people just don't understand. You HAVE to change the masks every 2 hours and N95s every 8 hours, or when wet, or they are NOT effective. Us healthcare workers are so frustrated seeing people wasting supplies on the streets when the masks will NOT protect you from the virus. They're meant to keep the virus from spreading.

You also have to wash or sanitize your hands the second you take the mask off, and also not touch it while wearing it. Once it's touched, it's compromised. People are wearing these things for DAYS and it's just a bacteria trap. Wear that mask all you want, but if you somehow did come into contact with someone who had COVID, you touch the mask constantly, you just got it. Don't wash your hands after discarding it (either in a washer if it's reusable or in the trash) you just got it. I don't want to be near ANYONE wearing a mask. I'd rather be near people who aren't wearing one. If they sneeze or cough into that thing all that bacteria comes flying out of the mask towards you after wearing past the recommended time.

I'm a pediatric nurse, and my wife is a nurse working in a nursing home in Seattle, and we can't tell you how stupid people are out there. It's pretty bad. We don't wear masks as we just wash our hands when we get home or in a bathroom before leaving the store. That's way more effective than wearing a mask and/or gloves. People are also wearing the same pair of gloves all day and touching everything they own. Once gloves come into contact with any liquid or new object they have to be discarded. We don't wear the same gloves all day. We do our care and each and every type of care gets a new pair of gloves. Change a wound on limb, new gloves. Start an IV, new gloves. Give a medication, new gloves. All with the same patient even. We're also not even allowed to leave the patient's room wearing any gloves or go INTO a patient's room wearing gloves.

Edited on by BinaryMessiah

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

WoomyNNYes

@ivory_soul if it's not a crummy homework assignment, to help us mask newbies, it would be great if you could paste a link for proper mask use. How to know when to discard a mask or maintain one. I haven't tried searching the net yet, but sometimes search results can be overwhelming with garbage results.

'Tendo liker

HobbitGamer

@ivory_soul I work in health care administration and I’ve been saying what you said for weeks. It’s giving people a false sense of security, and they don’t know proper usage. We’ve seen the folks at grocery stores, fidgeting with masks and gloves then putting items in a cart they didn’t wipe. We’ve seen the US Senate Minority Leader not even cover his nose with a mask, then touch the thing bare handed to give a speech. If folks aren’t even going to make the effort to understand or use PPE properly, they need to stop using up the supply.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer Wipe a cart with what? There's no disinfectants available anywhere. That's what gets me about all this sanitizing requirements. The materials that are recommended don't actually exist.

I'm not actually sure where people actually got any masks to begin with, they've been gone for ages, but are somehow requirements to leave home now... And nobody has any sanitizer...so we can guess where that goes.

The gloves seem harder to mess up though (where are people getting THOSE either? And it's frustrating because I've always had boxes around for food prep - and now they're unavailable.) I swear normal order history should be taken into account. People who buy this stuff normally should get first pick. The panic buyers should be denied access to things they didn't previously regularly buy. You built your way of life, you can suffer with it. Leave me to mine which I lived before the disaster you people created and should be perfectly sustainable through it. But no, they pooped their beds and now want to lie in mine.

NEStalgia

WoomyNNYes

@Tyranexx and anyone else. Here's the recent smoking & covid story.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/smoking-he...

Smoking may raise the risk of Covid-19 by elevating enzymes that allow the coronavirus to gain access into lung cells, according to a new study.

Smokers and people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease may have elevated levels of an enzyme called ACE-2, which helps the virus enter cells in their lungs, where it replicates, a study published in the European Respiratory Journal Thursday showed.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

kkslider5552000

I can say I have been required to wear a mask at work the past week. My only assumption is its to prevent someone with Coronavirus from contaminating anything, because its not always (especially immediately) apparent who has it. Because otherwise I'm wearing this for no reason. And tbh outside of occasionally walking to different areas, most of my time is spent more than 6 feet from anyone even normally.

My work is essential (pay me more then :V) but its not a hospital or anything health related like that, just in case you're wondering.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

WoomyNNYes

@NEStalgia We don't the circumstances for those 51 cases in South Korea. Those numbers imply a highly unlikely scenario that may have no implications for you or me, yet. Divide 51 by number of known south korea cases to determine how much we should worry. Not saying it's not bad, but the lack of specifics, they don't even describe the reactivated infection symptoms as serious or mild. They could be minimal, or asymptomatic for all we know.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

WoomyNNYes

@NEStalgia coincidentally, NHK World show on now "Today's Close Up" is taking about a guy that had covid. Got over it. Tested negative. Then later tested positive. He's 70 years old. In this case, they say they didn't know if it reactivated or if he got reinforced. So far, the show says covid can take longer to get over completely, like 3 weeks. Im only half way into the show. So i don't know how this story ends.

I love NHK World <3 It's so peaceful & interesting. It's possibly my favorite channel. I especially love their shows: Science View, Great Gear.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Tyranexx

@ivory_soul Thanks for laying that all out; I feel more assured with my prevention methods now (social distancing, hand washing, remembering not to touch my head/face). Part of what brought that on is that my state (IL) is now recommending (though not requiring, and at least in my neck of the woods there don't seem to be any fines) everyone wear them out in public. That's mainly due to the fact that Chicago and its surrounding suburbs have so many active cases right now. I live downstate in a less populated area and honestly try to practice good hygiene and keep my distance from most people even during less strange times; I like my space. I was basically wondering if they were necessary outside of the realms I mentioned before. I feel less bothered about seeking them out now...unless I were to become ill, of course.

I did know about glove hygiene to an extent but definitely didn't know how much care went into the masks, nor that they become useless once touched or contaminated in any way. With how they should be used vs. how they are being used by the general public appears to be pretty appalling.

@WoomyNNYes Thanks for linking that. I don't have time right now to read the full article, but I have bookmarked it for later. Cheers!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

@WoomyNNYes I believe the Bloomberg article mentioned cases in China where people died after it "reactivated" but it was attributed to the dodgy false negatives. Maybe or maybe not. BUT given the fact that having it once builds some resistance, and the fact that many people are asymptomatic, it makes one wonder how many "cured" people could in fact be reactivating silently and spreading it asymptomatically.

Yeah 3 weeks isn't unusual for many illnesses. I believe from the China cases it was technically contagious up to 37 days in the longest measured numbers.

NEStalgia

WoomyNNYes

@NEStalgia yeah, in this nhk world show, talking about taking weeks to get over it, they would get positive & negative results. Now before they let someone leave the hospital, they have to test negative twice to get clearance. In not implying its its a perfect system, but what you said is in line with the show. It seems to be tough to totally get rid of the virus

'Tendo liker

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Like I said before, your mileage may vary. There are supplies here. Walmart even has wipes at the entrance for use. There a small businesses here making cloth masks. Gloves are available for purchase. Bleach, soap, sanitizer.

@WoomyNNYes I’d also point out that smokers are generally more susceptible to respiratory illness anyway. Not because of any enzymes, but because smoke inhalation damages and obstructs the cilia in the nasal passages and upper respiratory system that are like a filter for larger particles. Also, since nicotine is a diuretic, smokes and nicotine users are predisposed to an elevated blood pressure.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer wait until your state realizes the threat for real. The days of Clorox on the shelves will be over, even at wholesale. Though i haven't seen a Walmart. My nearest Walmart or any other big box of well outside the distance were really supposed to travel. No big box shopping here until this is all done. And that Walmart has no groceries anyway.

I doubt there is anyone without elevated blood pressure at this point, so I'm not sure that measures much.

NEStalgia

Heavyarms55

I had a scary thought. There are people saying the curve is flattening in the US. The last several days have been all around the 30-35k mark.

But is the curve flattening, or is the country just at the absolute limit for how many tests it can process each day? They can only make testing kits so fast and there are only so many people who can carry out the tests - there is a limit to how many people can be tested each day. It strikes me as entirely possible the numbers maybe be worse, but America hit the limit for how many tests it can process.

Or maybe it's true, maybe this is the flattening of the curve at 30k per day?

On another note, here in Japan my local government is setting up to do something impressive, impressively stupid. Classes are cancelled again but not until Monday. And from Monday, home room teachers have to go from house to house to check on the students. How does this plan make any sense? We gathered everyone up, they're upstairs as I type this - taking their start of the year standardized test - and then once that's done they'll all go home. And if even one kid has it and doesn't know, we're probably all screwed. But then add to that - this plan of astronomical stupidity, to have the teachers go from house to house completely destroying any meaning to the isolation in the first place!

I said screw it. I'm using personal time and taking next week off. I can't sit in this staff room for another week waiting for bad news. Maybe after another week someone will grow a brain in city hall. And frankly, if we're destroying any point to the isolation, I want to have class. I'm an ALT, my job is to teach English to the kids. I am really grateful that I have a paycheck right now. But I am sick of sitting here with no actual job to do.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia There was a run on those things, but it’s stabilized. My state already has over 11k cases and 419 deaths. We are under a shelter in place, and both the city and county have curfews. However, the Walmart distribution and UPS distribution centers are just outside our town, within the county. Like I said, your mileage may vary.

#MudStrongs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic