Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 601 to 620 of 1,548

LzWinky

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@NEStalgia I saw that article about the tigers too. It is worrying. If it can be spread by animals then we are in serious trouble - and I dread to think what will start happening to the animals too. People are likely to, at best, start mass dumping them at the pound, at worse just butchering them. But that would just be needlessly cruel as the many stray cats and dogs would mean murdering your pets would have no benefit and just be needlessly cruel.

This also means we can't walk our dogs or let our cats out...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Heavyarms55

@LzWinky Do keep in mind that it is still an open question. We don't know one way or the other for sure. I'm not going to just assume the danger is there until the professionals call it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Heavyarms55

I just noticed - and I know it's not milestone that actually means anything but... we're past 1 million active cases globally confirmed. As in, just counting known cases of the virus that are still on-going, more than 1 million people currently have the virus.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Dezzy

Heavyarms55 wrote:

The regular people of China do not deserve the hatred they are getting right now. This virus is not their fault.

Who has actually blamed the regular people of China for anything in this situation? I've not heard anyone do that.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Not really blame, but some people can get discriminatory. From that one rumour that you can corona by eating Chinese food, to avoiding Chinese people, even though they don't even live in China. A friend of mine is part Indonesian, and she got called ''corona'' by group of guys the other day; which kinda shows how ridiculous it all can get.

@ThanosReXXX Just FYI, whenever you exhale you breathe out water vapour and tiny mucus particles. Small enough for you not to notice unless it's a cold day, but big enough for a virus to hitch a ride. Viruses can definitely spread by just breathing alone. Not as effective as a good cough in the face, but it's possible.

Octane

Octane

@status-204 Like many of us keep pointing fingers at China whenever something goes wrong?

Stupid people exist everywhere, it's not always China's fault.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Some of that may be true but I remain extremely skeptical.

If you google search for example, whether chinese food can give you the virus, you find like 1000 websites "debunking" the idea, but you find basically 0 websites actually promoting the idea. Those websites that are debunking it, often don't even give an example of someone who believes it. The BBC article literally just says "some people on social media think".

I'm not saying literally 0 people believe it, because that's true of basically nothing. But this particular pattern of reporting is usually a massive sign that you're seeing something being politically manufactured.

jump

@Dezzy There's literally people in this thread saying it's because of what Chinese people were eating. Complete non-sense rumours appear more on social media than they do on actual website, for example I've seen in this thread alone people talking about conspiracy theories, false information that about how the virus is spread, how the lockdown is just paranoia etc.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

@jump

Those are 2 completely different claims. "It's because of what Chinese people were eating (i.e meat markets in China)" is a completely different claim from "Chinese food might give you the virus (i.e Chinese restaurants in western countries).

The first claim has a high likelihood of being true. The second is completely ridiculous.

darkfenrir

@Dezzy Considering chinese restaurants go empty around Feb (before all this social distancing), I think people are believing that Chinese restaurants did that.

I also remember seeing a twitter how over at Japan, there's a chinese restaurant where some people immediately put up signs that chinese people should go back to china etc, shaming the person just because the owner is chinese and it's chinese restaurant. I'm pretty sure that sentiment is shared by some people all over the countries as well. There's also another case where some socmed post is saying that using Xiaomi can give you covid19 which is preposterous but some people believe it.

Racism is especially strong against chinese, this can be seen since I don't hear anyone going "don't go to italian restaurant" when Italy had such high cases in the beginning.

But overall I don't get why you are not believing people will believe in stupid things, especially if it fits their worldview (o_o

darkfenrir

Dezzy

@darkfenrir

Of course some people will believe such things. But there are more than 1 stupid worldview going around. It's also been very common in recent years for people to lie about being victims of racism. This is quite a well documented fact in political science. It's why incidents like the Jussie Smollet hoax occurred. That wasn't a 1-off incident. It was part of a very well documented trend (see here http://www.fakehatecrimes.org/)

So instead of just believing something because it sounds vaguely plausible, I simply ask for evidence to make sure nowadays.

The claim that Chinese restaurants were disproportionately hit, for example, is another claim that it's very hard to find evidence for. A lot of media sites have claimed it happened. But I can't find actual data on it. That makes me very suspicious. Why did anyone report it if they didn't have clear evidence that it was true? It may be because like you said, it simply fit with their worldview, so they didn't really ask questions.

Edited on by Dezzy

darkfenrir

@Dezzy damn there's tons of fake hate crimes. But I'm curious how much of this fake hate crimes happen versus the real amount of hate crimes (and I actually want to know how many goes unreported, but that's the problem... They are unreported)

In the end I do believe it, even if what I hear is mostly anecdotes. Like hearing friend said he saw the chinese restaurant place he usually frequent having far less people at the start of this all, etc

darkfenrir

Dezzy

@darkfenrir

It's impossible to know because it's quite hard to prove if something was faked, so you only hear about the ones where there's clear proof that contradicts their original claim.

I would guess that real hate crimes still outnumber fakes though, so it's by no means a reason to just deny everything. It's just a reason to ask for objective data rather than anecdotes. I've read about 20 articles now on the Chinese restaurant claim and not one of them provided data. That to me is a clear sign that something's wrong.

Edited on by Dezzy

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 Keeping in mind though that we do now know, one way or another, that humans are a threat to at least felines, if not canines. At minimum, even if animals can't transfer it to humans, the cat population could be in trouble in general. Though, the virus seems very adaptable. From animal to human back to animal in 3 months. If I were told to put money down, I'd bet animals transfer it back just fine, or soon will.

Weird thing though is the virus does NOT mutate quickly. Slow enough that they're thinking immunity (from having had the disease or from vaccine) might last several years easily. Meaning it mutates far slower than either flu or normal coronavirii. So it doesn't seem like it's mutating fast to jump species. It seems as thought it simply had that ability from the start. This thing has an uncanny number of exceedingly unorthodox behaviors.

The good news, though, is Wuhan (allegedly) hasn't had a single death for a little while and unlocked (kind of, but it's hard to tell if the remaining lockdown is due to virus concerns, or is just the intended status quo there...) and I don't think everyone's exterminated all the pets, so at least there they hadn't been a primary source of spread. Though any information we get out of Wuhan has already passed through a few reality correction filters.

I imagine those numbers are mostly a reflection of how many tests are being manufactured more than how many have the disease at this point. It was probably 1M actual back in December or early Jan. There's 13M people in Wuhan alone.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@darkfenrir

In order to show that Chinese restaurants are disproportionately being hit, you'd need to compare the Chinese restaurant data AND all of the other restaurants.

All of these articles just say something like "Chinese restaurants have seen a 50% loss in business".
Well that may be true. But if all the other restaurants have also seen a 50% loss in business, then it's not disproportionate at all.

darkfenrir

@Enigminator pretty sure vox is pretty factual in term of what they put up (other than they are left according to the mediabiasfactcheck)

@Dezzy that is true, that ones the one that can't be found so either things are fine (because things are fine, it's not talked), or media went with it because that looks to be the better clickbaits. Which I'm not sure about, so yeah.

darkfenrir

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia As for what you'd do when I'd be standing too close in your personal space: better bring some big guns or a fit body, otherwise you wouldn't be doing squat. Remember: former martial arts practitioner and all...

All kidding aside, though, every country's CDC is "right", long as the applied approach works, so there's not really one golden rule, one all-encompassing right, seeing as it also depends on local population, climate, isotopes and so on and so on. Over here, as mentioned, the experts have literally advised AGAINST wearing face masks, since it presents us with extra costs (while sitting at home, making less or no money) because of having to put on new masks every couple of hours, which would mean hundreds of masks per month per household, and seeing as it is indeed mostly preventive, it wouldn't matter much anyway, so we've adapted to the social distancing method (staying 5 feet away from others) instead, as well as fixed numbers of people in any one place at any one time, such as in super markets. I now have to wait in line to get in, because they'll only allow 20 to 30 people in at the same time, so we can also keep the right amount of distance while grocery shopping.

@Octane Late to the party, my friend.
I never said it wasn't possible though, just that breath by itself isn't the culprit, ESPECIALLY if you don't have the virus. When a person is coughing, that's already a clear indicator that he or she is not healthy, so in that scenario, chances are WAY more realistic that they could infect someone else. So, if you ARE coughing, you should be wearing a mask to prevent YOU from infecting others. Wearing a mask to protect yourself from others is generally regarded as not being all that useful at all. And you should know, if you're following the news over here just like I am. It's obviously not the same all over the world, but it is the Dutch way of handling it, and for now, it seems to work just fine, so I'd say that the Dutch scientists and the RIVM are onto something...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic