Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 521 to 540 of 1,548

NEStalgia

@Zeldafan79 a lot of diseases kill. But few have the ability to spread to absolutely everyone almost instantly, short of the common cold, while also being deadly. That's what's special about this. It's not even close to as deadly as Ebola and the like. But it's sheer contageousness is almost unheard of since Spanish flu. One person can ignite a national contageon, as happened in Korea, and infections are exponential (currently doubles every 3 days.). The worst part is that unlike other diseases where avoiding sick people helps, the sheer amount if carriers and new findings showing that the most infectious people are 2 or 3 days before symptoms. That means it's not the coughing person you have to fear the most. It's everyone that appears healthy you should fear the most. And it aerosolizes through breathing.

For all you know, you're a carrier spreading it right now to everyone you encounter and might never even know it. Maybe even killed people and won't ever know it. That's why it's such a panic. You can't contain it, you can only avoid absolutely everyone as a hostile killer.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@Zeldafan79

It IS a bit of an overreaction, yes.

But there's a logic to that. The more people overreact and stop it spreading as much as possible, the quicker things can go back to the normal.

Extreme economic and social shutdown for 1 month, is manageable for most countries. Extreme economic and social shutdown for 3 months would be a disaster, and you would have to start worrying that the cure is doing more damage than the disease at that point.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Ironically, the disease's relative non-lethality compared to stuff like MERS and Ebola is a big part of what's making it such a massive threat. Diseases that kill a large percentage of their hosts can be more easily isolated, and they also inspire alarm quickly enough for societies to mobilize extreme measures to contain them.

The devious thing about this is that the overall mortality rate is probably only 1% or less (the data suggests a huge fraction of infected people are asymptomatic or don't get sick enough to seek medical attention), but if you spread that among 7 billion+ people, you're looking at millions of deaths.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

4/4/20 Update

Global Cases
Untitled

Daily Increase
Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

More and more I'm 100% positive there is no scenario in which 100% population does not get it. It's simply not possible. Food alone is the problem. As food delivery and pickup is booked solid almost everywhere, that means everyone must absolutely go to the stores, sick or not. Huge stock outages mean spending more time, touching more things, encountering more people just to do normal shopping. Quantity limits mean more frequent trips or trips to more stores. If everybody is congregating in the same locations, frequently and for long periods, and some percentage also goes other places then the vector is unaltered. We might as well just open the malls and everything else.

I'm starting to fear more and more the lockdowns are nothing more than political theater for cynical proposes that will do nothing to alter the course of infection, but make everything massively worse in the process. If they were truly serious about the lockdowns, like Italy, China, it would be heavily enforced, no interstate travel (oos plates would be found, no airlines running) it would be one thing. But all they've done is close most business, bankrupt most companies, and then actively encourage us to congregate and be vectors anyway, completely negating the point of the lockdown, and annihilating the economy and lives only to infect everyone anyway. Is everyone is still in grocery stores, everyone is still as exposed as if they were in a concert venue.

And i won't buy for any amount if money this thing is a natural occurrence. It's perfectly designed to run stealth and bypass every modern system of identification and containment. I don't think the Chinese deployed it as a weapon - that would have been stupid, but it's becoming clearer and clearer how well designed it is, how abnormally "perfect" it is.......i presume they were playing with weaponization of sars to keep in their back pocket and this is the result.... But it got out when it wasn't intended.

NEStalgia

HistoricKombat

@Zeldafan79

I am not doctor no means, but I know Coronavirus spreads through droplets when people with COVID-19 sneeze or cough. That's why some places installed sneeze guards. I think that makes perfect sense to do such a thing. Now, restaurants to require customers to sign a waiver...yeah, I would eat somewhere else.

HistoricKombat

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

Either it was deliberately designed or......

There are thousands of viruses mutating and jumping species every day. The vast majority end up being ineffective at doing any real damage, so we never hear about them.

The only ones we end up hearing about, are the ones that are either incredibly deadly (e.g Ebola) or incredibly infectuous (e.g Covid-19), or both (e.g Spanish Flu, Black Death)

kkslider5552000

NEStalgia wrote:

And i won't buy for any amount if money this thing is a natural occurrence. It's perfectly designed to run stealth and bypass every modern system of identification and containment. I don't think the Chinese deployed it as a weapon - that would have been stupid, but it's becoming clearer and clearer how well designed it is, how abnormally "perfect" it is.......i presume they were playing with weaponization of sars to keep in their back pocket and this is the result.... But it got out when it wasn't intended.

ok, Alex Jones

like I dunno about where you live but if you think America's been the best prepared for this, especially nowadays, oh honey, you poor soul. Poor naive soul. "Every modern system", is like a 9/10 on the "sure, Jan" scale.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Trajan

@NEStalgia and china has been doing maneuvers in the south china sea. I think your onto something.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

jump

NEStalgia wrote:

More and more I'm 100% positive there is no scenario in which 100% population does not get it. It's simply not possible. Food alone is the problem. As food delivery and pickup is booked solid almost everywhere, that means everyone must absolutely go to the stores, sick or not. Huge stock outages mean spending more time, touching more things, encountering more people just to do normal shopping. Quantity limits mean more frequent trips or trips to more stores. If everybody is congregating in the same locations, frequently and for long periods, and some percentage also goes other places then the vector is unaltered. We might as well just open the malls and everything else.

I'm starting to fear more and more the lockdowns are nothing more than political theater for cynical proposes that will do nothing to alter the course of infection, but make everything massively worse in the process. If they were truly serious about the lockdowns, like Italy, China, it would be heavily enforced, no interstate travel (oos plates would be found, no airlines running) it would be one thing. But all they've done is close most business, bankrupt most companies, and then actively encourage us to congregate and be vectors anyway, completely negating the point of the lockdown, and annihilating the economy and lives only to infect everyone anyway. Is everyone is still in grocery stores, everyone is still as exposed as if they were in a concert venue.

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NEStalgia

I do question some of your reading comprehension skills, given the responses here.

Not a conspiracy, i explicitly said i doubt it was released intentionally. But the likelihood it was engineered seems ever more probable the more we find out about it. Be it part of bioweapons experimentation or "just to see what we can push it to." Not an actual attack on the world, that was likely just stupidity and recklessness in whatever lab was busy playing God. But a thing that shouldn't have been played with was played with. Or doesn't actually appear capable of evolving very quickly, which is why it remains deadly. It didn't adapt in that time to find all the right ways to hide.... It basically sprang into existence that way which itself isn't the most likely of occurences without some assistance.

Don't kid yourselves, bioweapons research and overzealous disease experimentation isn't conspiracy theory and isn't limited to China. The US, Russia, probably countless other countries have routinely done so for a long time. Lots of things get made in labs that should never be made at all. And an uneasy mix of luck and competence is all that keeps them from the public.

NEStalgia

LzWinky

Untitled

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Heavyarms55

@WoomyNNYes I just learned from my coworker that the Prime Minister of Japan is due to make an announcement today, or tomorrow at the latest. He expects them to lock down Tokyo at the very least.

Tokyo is one of the highest density cities in the world, with large amounts of public transit, lots of massive buildings full of lots of people. And this virus is psuedo-airborne. Japan's defenses were/are strong because of the mask culture, but a defensive line is only as strong as its weakest point. There are always people who don't follow the rules, always people who think "It can't happen to me."

It was perhaps, just a matter of time.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

WoomyNNYes

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, my friend that has been working in Tokyo for the Olympics, just came back to the US a week or so ago. Looks like he made a smart move.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Heavyarms55

@WoomyNNYes Ummm not in my book. America is magnitudes more imperiled than Japan is right now. While it's possible (maybe likely) Japan could still see a major outbreak, America is smack in the middle of a nightmare right now. That sounds like trading the chance of a disaster for one already ongoing...

But I do suppose it depends where your friend returned to. If they live in a small town they can be a lot safer than in a big city right now. And that's true no matter what country you live in.

LzWinky

The problem here is that the virus can spread so easily, so Japan may see an epidemic too. The bigger problem is that some people don’t show symptoms and may not be tested

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Dezzy

Enigminator wrote:

@NEStalgia Do you also believe the virus is turning the frogs gay?

The US Air Force did genuinely try to make a chemical weapon that would turn their enemy gay, so that may not be a very good counter-point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

Edited on by Dezzy

Ralizah

I'm not sure what's more offensive: that they think all it takes to make a person gay is sprinkling some military-produced pixie dust on enemy soldiers, or that disciplined soldiers would suddenly turn into sex-hungry freaks once they developed an attraction to other men.

Then again, I guess if the people who authored that proposal were budding rapists who could picture themselves molesting female soldiers given the opportunity, they'd just naturally transfer that gross intuition over to gay men.

The real kicker would be if they managed to actually create a gay bomb, but it made their enemies more like spartans, who would fight more ferociously on the battlefields to impress their male lovers.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Heavyarms55

@Dezzy Okay if you actually read that article it highly suggests that it wouldn't have worked and lacked any controlled studies. It wouldn't be an effective weapon anyway because if your life is at risk because an enemy army in attacking, any sexual urges would be easily ignored by the body's natural "fight or flight" response. Unless the chemical was in addition to other psychoactive substances that suppressed fear and inhibited self control. Frankly at that point a powerful sleeping gas would certainly be more effective. But regardless most if not all modern armies have access to effective gas masks that would limit the affects of any weapons like these. Then you have the risk of blowback from any sort of chemical attack added in and - clearly someone in the US military wasn't thinking straight. Pun fully intended.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic