General Discussion Forum

Topic: Console wars don't matter

Showing 1 to 20 of 31

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mariovslink62

1. Posted:

Ok this is stupid. This so called console war doesn't matter! What matters is our own difference of opinion on what console you want. But no everyone I see on the internet and in real life are always debating on whats' better PS4 or XBOX ONE. We should just play what we wanna play rather then just arguing over what's better.

Edited on by mariovslink62

I just love nintendo games alright? i mean look at the profile picture!
Need friends? send a friend request!

Nintendo Network ID: awesomeface2149

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SheldonRandoms

2. Posted:

Blast Processing

SUPER SMASH CLASH: A MOBILE MULTIPLAYER PLATFORMER FIGHTING GAME FEATURING MR.RANDOMS AND LORDJUMPMAD!!! http://www.smashclashapp.com/

I like to rev up those fryers, I play games, I can't draw good, but I make stick figures named Sheldon and Mr. Randoms.

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0402-4645 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

AuthorMessage
Avatar

2Sang

3. Posted:

As long as there's a profit, they don't matter. Problem is, nintendo hasn't turned a profit in 3 years now. This can't last much longer without some changes.

Please undastanding since 2012.
Shadow4SSB4 is the greatest person in the history of the internet. May god have mercy on his poor soul and also tell sakurai to add shadow, silver, and big the cat to smash.

Twitter: DJ2Sang

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dreamz

4. Posted:

2Sang wrote:

As long as there's a profit, they don't matter. Problem is, nintendo hasn't turned a profit in 3 years now. This can't last much longer without some changes.

Except that they have tons of cash in reserve, enough to last them a decade minimum of the previous years poor sales. But as of the the of 2013, Wii U was finally selling at a profit per console, so unless something catastrophic happens, they'll turn a profit in 2014, no changes necessary.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Bayonetta, Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Wonderful101

AuthorMessage
Avatar

iKhan

5. Posted:

It actually does matter. But the way the XB1 and PS4 are, Sony-Microsoft Console Wars are complete fanboy BS. However, in an ideal world where all consoles offered a unique experience, a "console war" is important because it forces all hardware makers to improve.

Nintendo is pulling miracles out of their a$$es this e3- Retro_on_theGo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

6. Posted:

2Sang wrote:

As long as there's a profit, they don't matter. Problem is, nintendo hasn't turned a profit in 3 years now. This can't last much longer without some changes.

Pretty sure we've read about that in roughly twelve thousand different articles.

The thing is, the other major console makers have suffered far worse periods of profit loss, but those companies are part of giant global software and hardware conglomerates. Only now that Sony's main electronics divisions are failing have they stepped up their efforts to make their gaming division more profitable and they took some big gambles and spent a ton on advertising. So far, it seems to be working.

Anyway, my point is that we're sort of experiencing a video game recession rather then a crash like in '83. If you look across the board, only the biggest and smallest studios are staying open while the medium sized ones are closing (irrational games, LucasArts, THQ, Neverland) , and the release schedules for all consoles looks incredibly safe...with mostly big, proven sellers and few risks.

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

7. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

2Sang wrote:

As long as there's a profit, they don't matter. Problem is, nintendo hasn't turned a profit in 3 years now. This can't last much longer without some changes.

Except that they have tons of cash in reserve, enough to last them a decade minimum of the previous years poor sales. But as of the the of 2013, Wii U was finally selling at a profit per console, so unless something catastrophic happens, they'll turn a profit in 2014, no changes necessary.

Making a profit per console doesn't mean Nintendo is going to be profitable. They still have to sell a certain amount of consoles.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

8. Posted:

On another note:

I really don't understand the objectives of the typical hater and console war "fanboy" who feel the need to constantly berate the hardware and games of the competitor to their favorite console manufacturer. I especially find the concern trolls who must constantly bring up any shortcomings, financial troubles, or popular attacks on a console that others enjoy annoying when they accuse them of being a "nintendrone" or "denying reality"...

It's like...okay...I understand your point, and I may even agree with some of what you are saying, but what do you want me to do?
Toss my console in the trash?
Pretend I hate the games I love?
Renounce any love for Nintendo and swear allegiance to Sony or Microsoft?

Finally, they don't seem to understand that not everything is a black and white or my side VS your side argument. I don't own a PS4 or XB1...but not because I hate Sony or Microsoft. in fact like most people I own a few Microsoft and Sony products that I like very much. They aren't capable of grasping the concept because their childish hatred for Nintendo and misguided loyalty to their their console of choice to the exclusion of all others.

You can like one console more then another without choosing an absolute allegiance. If we're going to be honest, every platform has it's benefits and shortcomings. There are so many things in life that you aren't going to love for one reason or another, and it's the height of juvenile behavior to spend so much time and energy attacking everything about a product you simply don't have to buy.

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

9. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

2Sang wrote:

As long as there's a profit, they don't matter. Problem is, nintendo hasn't turned a profit in 3 years now. This can't last much longer without some changes.

Except that they have tons of cash in reserve, enough to last them a decade minimum of the previous years poor sales. But as of the the of 2013, Wii U was finally selling at a profit per console, so unless something catastrophic happens, they'll turn a profit in 2014, no changes necessary.

Making a profit per console doesn't mean Nintendo is going to be profitable. They still have to sell a certain amount of consoles.

Think, man!

Untitled

Edited on by OptometristLime

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zombie_Barioth

10. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

2Sang wrote:

As long as there's a profit, they don't matter. Problem is, nintendo hasn't turned a profit in 3 years now. This can't last much longer without some changes.

Pretty sure we've read about that in roughly twelve thousand different articles.

The thing is, the other major console makers have suffered far worse periods of profit loss, but those companies are part of giant global software and hardware conglomerates. Only now that Sony's main electronics divisions are failing have they stepped up their efforts to make their gaming division more profitable and they took some big gambles and spent a ton on advertising. So far, it seems to be working.

Anyway, my point is that we're sort of experiencing a video game recession rather then a crash like in '83. If you look across the board, only the biggest and smallest studios are staying open while the medium sized ones are closing (irrational games, LucasArts, THQ, Neverland) , and the release schedules for all consoles looks incredibly safe...with mostly big, proven sellers and few risks.

I don't think its a recession, not that its not possible. At least in Neverland's case it was problems outside of their games that caused them to go bankrupt, Rune Factory has done better each installment. THQ was mainly due to Udraw and maybe a few other flops, they basically pulled a SEGA, but worse. Its more to do with the risk of failure being so high due to development costs, which not even Nintendo's latest console is exempt from now. There is room for medium-sized companies but nobody is really filling the gap besides a few existing companies.

As for the console war, I read an article that talked about how it might actually be profitable for the big 3, due of course to the hype and feeling of competition it creates. Basically its the buzz thats generated just like with sports teams and their associated merchandise. Its actually kinda scary how true that is, especially serious some people take those things.

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CaviarMeths

11. Posted:

Yes, of course it matters, just not in the way that fanboys want to believe. Industry competition and rivalry pushes companies to innovate and get creative with both hardware and software. Having options is what drives the industry. This isn't just for video games, but literally every product and service in existence.

Humankind put a man on the moon for no reason other than two different people both wanted to do it first.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Courage is the magic that turns durrr into reherrdurr.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ZB42

12. Posted:

When I hear the phrase "console wars", I think of the fanboy battles and trolling. This is what is unnecessary to the industry. It only serves as an attempt to belittle others. The odds of changing people's opinions are next to impossible. Attacking one company over another does nothing. So, the "console wars" are pointless.

However, if we are talking about "commercial competition", then that is another story and does help promote innovation and keeps quality titles coming.

NNID: Z.Beeblebrox

AuthorMessage
Avatar

eviLaTtenDant

13. Posted:

Untitled

Number 2? Says who? >=o]

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

14. Posted:

@LeasTwanteD - love the pixel art style fire flower! Nice pic!

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Artwark

15. Posted:

I'd say, let it be. If it makes the competition better, then let it be. After all, a lot of us support Nintendo's decisions even though most of them are rather annoying (region lock, GBA on Wii U).

And we all know how original Sony and Microsoft are when they make new systems.

my 3ds friend code is 1461-7634-1658

creativity is the insane possibility.

Twitter: Art_Wark

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DualWielding

16. Posted:

They don't matter to me, they of course matter to Microsoft and Sony executives...... apparently they don't matter to Nintendo executives but they should as their "we're not competing mentality' is what have lead them to release sub-par products

DualWielding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

17. Posted:

ferthepoet wrote:

They don't matter to me, they of course matter to Microsoft and Sony executives...... apparently they don't matter to Nintendo executives but they should as their "we're not competing mentality' is what have lead them to release sub-par products

I have to disagree on your terminology. There is nothing sub-par about the Wii U or 3DS IMO.

Have Nintendo made a convincing argument for it through marketing?...no.

I'm totally satisfied with my Nintendo platforms, and I own a very powerful PC and a steam account that get way less use for gaming. The games I own for Wii U run beautifully and provide countless hours of fun.

Again...Nintendo have failed to market their product and capture the buzz that the Wii captured...but that doesn't diminish the quality of the system.

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintenjoe64

18. Posted:

Competition is one of the only things keeping prices down. If MS were the only console company, there would be no used games!

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mike_intellivision

19. Posted:

I buy consoles because I like the games available on them (with issues of reliability and certainty mixed in).
That's why I have a WiiU. That's why I had a Wii. That's why I am considering a PS3.
That's why I wished I had bought a GameCube before I had an Xbox. That's why I also have a PS2.

mike_intellivision

Twitter: mdoerty

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

20. Posted:

They matter to me because as soon as Sony became involved all the life was sucked out of gaming.

(I am just hoping somebody will return the favour to them someday).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”