Forums

Topic: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Old vs. New

Posts 21 to 22 of 22

theblackdragon

@Chicken Brutus: Yeah, they're all classics, but give me a break... 'Cheer up, Charlie'? ugh... and I can't stand all the Oompa Loompa songs either; I very much prefer the new ones that at least use lines from the book's songs (even if the way the writers knitted them together doesn't make much sense, as in Violet's song). At least Dahl's original work (and Charlie, as it followed that with the OL songs) gave us the morals in a darkly amusing manner after we watched the drama with the kids play out; Willy Wonka beat us over the head with them (in sequences with seriously dated textual effects; what the hell were they thinking!) after we already knew what they were trying to show us (don't be a glutton, don't chew gum all day, don't be a spoiled brat/don't spoil your kid, too much TV is bad for kids).

Also, I think I forgot to mention that I like some of the other actors much better in the new version. Charlie has some personality (beyond just being a young poor child) in this one, as do all the grandparents (Grandpa George is pretty hilarious in fact... he reminds me of one of the old guys from The Muppet Show that always crap on everything :3), and that old guy who plays Grandpa Joe -- I like him a lot. He has this gentle, kind aura about him that the Joe from the first movie lacked, and you can really believe that he's too feeble to walk at first (unlike Joe, who looks like he's just laying there).

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Katiepoo

look up Willy Wonka and the Sexual Innuendo Factory on youtube

there's a few funny arguments against the old one lol

QUANTUM OF SOLACE --- PLAY ME 4812 2279 3207!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.