General Discussion Forum

Topic: The Unoffical Dark Knight Rising Thread

Showing 201 to 220 of 387

AuthorMessage

Link79

201. Posted:

Gee I remember when Batman Trailers had alot more oh I don't know...Batman in them.
This is just a bunch of random scenes. It's hard to tell this is even a trailer for a Batman movie aside from a couple quick glances of him. Plus Catwoman just looks like some stripper in a black suit.
Everytime I see Bane I can't help thinking of Darth Vader unmasked.
Why exactly do these Nolan Batman films get so much praise again?

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage

Swiket

202. Posted:

To be fair, most great Batman stories (including The Dark Knight) aren't about Batman as a character, but about how people react to the presence of Batman as a symbol. Batman isn't interesting. Not as a character. He can't be, because if he is, the entire foundation of his "legend" falls apart.

If Batman is going to be interesting, as a character, he needs to be realistic. But he can't be. Unfortunately any realistic person would be wondering what the hell they're doing running around in a bat costume. And if Batman starts doubting he can exist, the audience will be three steps ahead of him. Goodbye belief in this universe, goodbye emotional investment into the story. Batman just needs to be. You can't question it, and he can't question himself.

Take a look at some of the best Batman comics. In The Dark Knight Returns, Bruce Wayne's self-doubting is out of the way within a few scenes in the first issue, and from there on out it's fully about the extent to which he inspires hope or madness. The Long Halloween shows the transformation of a normal crime city into the insane town of supervillains the series is known for. Even The Dark Knight follows this trend. Batman is in all of these stories, but they're sure as hell not about Batman as a character.

Batman Begins is a story about Batman, and in my opinion it's nowhere near as interesting because of it. It may not be as absurd or melodramatic as The Dark Knight, but in the end I just see it as an action story about a character I don't quite believe in. So I hope this movie is not about Batman, because if it is and Bruce decides that Batman cannot "come back", I'll stop caring entirely.

/nerd rant

I had fun once and it was awful.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4964-0323

AuthorMessage

Aviator

203. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

Because they're good films.

I don't like to boast, but our truffles are the most, mad magical in Amsterdam.
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

204. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

Gee I remember when Batman Trailers had alot more oh I don't know...Batman in them.
This is just a bunch of random scenes. It's hard to tell this is even a trailer for a Batman movie aside from a couple quick glances of him. Plus Catwoman just looks like some stripper in a black suit.

Gotham City looked like Chicago in The Dark Knight, now it looks like it's taking place years ago back in some World War Country. :p Unless those are just flash backs or in spots an actual different setting altogether which it most likely is. Anyways, It looks like it's gone darker in tone, and the color grey is in full spaces. eek!

Catwoman looks a bit dull as well, and Bane....Well, he just doesn't seem like he'll be nearly as interesting or performance-worthy as the Joker. I don't like his voice either. I can't wait until Batman goes back to being far less realistic, having atmosphere and havin a Tim Burton-esque gothic inspired setting.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
Nintendo FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

205. Posted:

In other news, I can't wait for the HISHE version of this.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

206. Posted:

About to re-read Batman Year one.

@Link79

Beacuse they work in a more grounded non Batgod world. Also Nolan goes for something different with each film.

Batman Begins- The Superhero movie (my personal favorite)

The Dark Knight- The Crime Thriller

The Dark Knight Rises- The Summer Action movie

Its a great example of the versatility of Batman's character and Versatility.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

pixelman

207. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

We know it's a Batman movie. We've seen this Batman before. Twice. Everyone wants to see what's new in this film!

This is just a bunch of random scenes.

Every other movie trailer ever says hi, haha.

It's hard to tell this is even a trailer for a Batman movie aside from a couple quick glances of him.

Again, we know it's Batman anyway so why do we need to see him every five seconds?

Plus Catwoman just looks like some stripper in a black suit.

Oookay. Isn't that pretty much what she looked like before? :P
in fact she looks decidedly less so in this.

Haha I do too actually. At least he doesn't look like a WWE wrestler dressed up as Carnage.

Because they're fantastic movies, of course. At least that's what most people think. :3

Edited on by pixelman

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: pixelpowa

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

208. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Link79 wrote:

Gotham City looked like Chicago in The Dark Knight, now it looks like it's taking place years ago back in some World War Country. :p Unless those are just flash backs or in spots an actual different setting altogether which it most likely is. Anyways, It looks like it's gone darker in tone, and the color grey is in full spaces. eek!

Catwoman looks a bit dull as well, and Bane....Well, he just doesn't seem like he'll be nearly as interesting or performance-worthy as the Joker. I don't like his voice either. I can't wait until Batman goes back to being far less realistic, having atmosphere and havin a Tim Burton-esque gothic inspired setting.

1. Gotham is pretty dull and depressing place and a big city. In the comics the Down town area of Gotham is Chicago with the Richer area's having more Gothic art deco style.

Untitled

2. Catwoman suit is Tight Leather how the hell else is she supposed to look. (scene from the current catwoman series)

Untitled

3.Bane is oozing swag but I agree about being reluctant about him being in it.

This is closer to the comic's than Burton's Batman ever will be. (as much as I love those movies)

shingi_70

AuthorMessage

pixelman

209. Posted:

Whaaat. I'm incredibly excited to see Bane. Nolan's description of him was awesome:

"He's brutal. Brutal. He's a big dude who's incredibly clinical, in the fact that he has a result-based and oriented fighting style. It's not about fighting. It's about carnage. The style is heavy-handed, heavy-footed, it's nasty. Anything from small-joint manipulation to crushing skulls, crushing rib cages, stamping on shins and knees and necks and collarbones and snapping heads off and tearing his fists through chests, ripping out spinal columns. He is a terrorist in mentality as well as brutal action."

"[Bane is] a great sort of movie monster, but with an incredible brain, and that was a side of him that hadn't been tapped before. Because the stories from the comics are very epic and very evocative — very much in the way that Bruce Wayne's origin story is epic and evocative. We were looking to really parallel that with our choice of villain. So he is a worthy adversary. What Bane represents in the comics is the ultimate physical villain."

Sounds like the perfect choice to me.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: pixelpowa

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

210. Posted:

@Pixelman

I know Bane is going to be good. Just look at him not giving a hoot taking over the city with that awesome jacket.

I do realize why going with bane is the best bet. The last two movies have had non physical Villains and now we need someone to up Batman's game.

Also am I the only one who think were going to see some Form of Batman inc in the movie.

shingi_70

AuthorMessage

pixelman

211. Posted:

What the heck is Batman Inc? haha.

And yeah, it's time for someone to match Batman's brains as well as brawn — even exceed them.

Edited on by pixelman

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

212. Posted:

Looks smexi. Hope it's really as good as it seems :)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

213. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

What the heck is Batman Inc? haha.

And yeah, it's time for someone to match Batman's brains as well as brawn — even exceed them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Incorporated

i'm not even making this up. After Bruce Wayne comes back to life he Reveals to the public he's the one funding Batman and aims to take it world wide with some sort of Batman style figure in every country.

Edited on by shingi_70

shingi_70

AuthorMessage

pixelman

214. Posted:

Haha wow.

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

215. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

I pretty much agree with your classifications of the first two movies, but we don't really know very much at all what Rises is going to be yet. If anything I would say "political thriller" at this point, considering the themes of terrorism and Selina Kyle's dialogue in the trailer.

Six word TV reviews

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

216. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

Everyone in the world knows what Batman looks like. But we don't know what Bane and Catwoman are going to look like, or what the story is, so the trailer concentrates on those things. Isn't that a whole lot more interesting than 75 glamor shots of the Batsuit, which we've seen for two movies now? Also, of course they're apparently random scenes. Nolan has long been known for his enigmatic trailers. Would you rather this be a movie where you knew the whole story going in because of an overly-revealing trailer? And you do realize that Catwoman, in the comics, is literally a stripper. A prostitute actually. So of course her costume looks like a stripper outfit. It's always looked like that. It's supposed to be an ironic twist that a women formally abused with her sexuality is now abusing others with it. I guess I just find it very odd that, because you didn't enjoy a trailer, suddenly Nolan's entire take on the franchise is called into question.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

pixelman

217. Posted:

Oddy wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

I pretty much agree with your classifications of the first two movies, but we don't really know very much at all what Rises is going to be yet. If anything I would say "political thriller" at this point, considering the themes of terrorism and Selina Kyle's dialogue in the trailer.

I'd classify it as a Nolan movie — that's all the description you need.

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

218. Posted:

Point taken.
now let's see, inception was a...cerebral sci-fi action blockbuster for the thoughtful moviegoer? yeah, let's just call it nolan

Six word TV reviews

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

219. Posted:

Oddy wrote:

now let's see, inception was a...cerebral sci-fi action blockbuster for the thoughtful moviegoer? yeah, let's just call it nolan

Yes. Lets. That description applies to literally all of his movies since Insomnia.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

220. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

Link79 wrote:

Everyone in the world knows what Batman looks like. But we don't know what Bane and Catwoman are going to look like, or what the story is, so the trailer concentrates on those things. Isn't that a whole lot more interesting than 75 glamor shots of the Batsuit, which we've seen for two movies now? Also, of course they're apparently random scenes. Nolan has long been known for his enigmatic trailers. Would you rather this be a movie where you knew the whole story going in because of an overly-revealing trailer? And you do realize that Catwoman, in the comics, is literally a stripper. A prostitute actually. So of course her costume looks like a stripper outfit. It's always looked like that. It's supposed to be an ironic twist that a women formally abused with her sexuality is now abusing others with it. I guess I just find it very odd that, because you didn't enjoy a trailer, suddenly Nolan's entire take on the franchise is called into question.

But what about the Catwoman in Tim Burton's "Batman Returns"? How was her portrayal compared to the comic version? Same with Penguin.

Also, do Rocksteady's Batman games (Arkham Asylumn / City) share any similarities to the comic book's? Are they considered canon?

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984