Forums

Topic: Cartoon General Disscusion Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 305

Socar

Love Dexter's Laboratory! The sheer amount of creativity added in is just amazing.

I have a theory of how Dexter actually has a Lab. Supposedly, he gets the equipment from NASA. NASA was trilled to see Dexter's intelligence but since Dexter is too young, they can't recruit him as an astronaut but instead offers dexter to make equipment to benefit them and so that's probably the reason why he has to pay the bill for NASA due to the cost of the equipment Dexter uses to make things for NASA and since Dee Dee breaks into Dexter's lab all the time, the bill was charged for 200 million dollars.

But its just a theory so don't bother with it.

@SuperMalleo by the way, I've been meaning to ask you where that Mario avatar animation is from? Is it from Mario VS Donkey Kong series or is it based on some sports mario games? Because if you made that, its really awesome!

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Socar

@SuperMalleo I like the animation but the story right now with episode 1 isn't marioish.

DAMM IT NINTENDO! WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE A MARIO TV SHOW?!?!?!?!?!? AND not that Super Show one, use this new one!

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Jacob717

SuperMalleo wrote:

Looks like Cartoon Network, Sega and Pizza Hut are celebrating the Powerpuff Girls's 15th anniversary in Japan with cute keychains and plushies. More can be read here.
Untitled
Untitled
Japan really loves the Powerpuff Girls these days, do they?

@Artwark Yes i agree with you. Nintendo should definitely make a new Mario TV show. And not like Sonic Boom.

Yeah, the show was so popular there, that it got it's own anime and manga.

Jacob717

RR529

TBS is now syndicating reruns of Robot Chicken during the afternoon (2 P.M. central), so that's a thing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

TwilightV

Steven Universe is the best plot driven cartoon on television (that's still airing new episodes).

For those of you discussing El Tigre, Nicktoons is currently airing it on Sundays at 3PM CST.

TwilightV

CanisWolfred

TwilightV wrote:

Steven Universe is the best plot driven cartoon on television (that's still airing new episodes).

Sounds neat. Also, The art style looks like one that could...grow on me if I gave it a chance? The backrounds are nice at least and the character designs are...unique-ish?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TwilightV

CanisWolfred wrote:

TwilightV wrote:

Sounds neat. The art style looks like one that could...grow on me if I gave it a chance? The backrounds are nice at least and the character designs are...unique-ish?

Yeah, the artstyle gets wonky in some episodes, but in a good, expressive way. The music is amazing, but that's a given since the show is by Rebecca Sugar, who wrote some of the best music for Adventure Time.

There's also a new show coming in November called Over The Garden Wall, but it's a 10-part miniseries airing across 5 nights.

TwilightV

CanisWolfred

Now OTGW actually has an art style I can dig. The character designs aren't much different from stuff I usually dismiss, but the use of color really attracts my eye.

In fact, I was gonna muse about how I like so many different art styles but usually think most modern cartoons since 2006 look pretty bad, for reasons I can't even pin down. Now I'm wondering if maybe it's just color and texture usage/shading. Most cartoons these days look flat and simplistic for the characters, albeit often with more detailed backrounds, which winds up just distracting the eye. Old Hanna-Barbarra cartoons used to do that to some degree, too, but at least then it was more of a technical limitation/time constraint than anything else. Now they just use a lot of bright, flat colors even when the show is supposed to be a little more serious. Combine that with cheap animation and character designs that are cute or simplistic even when it might not be necessary (Just because you made it work in Samurai Jack doesn't mean you should use 'em in Sym-Biotic Titan, Tartakovsky!).

To put it simply, I think my problem with at least more story-driven cartoons is that the art doesn't feel like it fits the tone, or at least sets a tone I don't like. To be fair, I probably shouldn't diss the shows based on that, but I'll still probably dismiss most of them. It's mostly about me being picky about what I want to watch.

I guess what I want are for more shows that have a healthy mix of serious moments and comedic moments, while still staying focused on whatever stories they're trying to tell, and have the visual style feel like it's meant to compliment, even excentuate the story they're trying to tell. It's not impossible, and I'm sure I'm overlooking good series that do this already, but I find it so difficult to find one that sits well with me. Hopefully that new mini-series turns out to be good. I'd be more than happy to watch it. I should look and see what time it starts in November...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Retro_on_theGo

I haven't been paying much attention to Over the Garden Wall but all I've ever been herring about it's upcoming debut is positive so I'm looking forward to it. Once I have free time I'm gonna start catching up with these new shows that look watchable. First and foremost Steven Universe. The character designs are my main draw to the series. Specifically Garnet. Dude. She looks so cool. I prefer the style now to the pilot episode.
Saw Clarence mentioned. That's another one I'm looking to check out. Reactions have been mixed on that one but from clips I've seen it doesn't look too awful at all. Well, the art style isn't too pleasant but the comedy seems to work. For the most part.

Justlink

@Retro_on_thego Clarence is a random show, each episode has nothing to do with the last. It does have comedy, but it comes off to be stupid. I do laugh sometimes, but not much. I wish Mad was still on

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

TwilightV

Garnet is cool, but I always think her afro resembles a loaf of bread. XD

I believe the next episode of Clarence is supposed to be the first without creator Skyler Page as the voice of Clarence. He was fired earlier this year after an unfortunate series of incidents that are best left unmentioned.

TwilightV

The_Ninja

The only CN shows I watch are Regular Show and Gumball. Used to watch MAD, but unlike RS, it's hard to find newer episodes online...

Edited on by The_Ninja

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

Retro_on_theGo

I finally watched Steven Universe! Saw the first four episodes. Holy cow what took me so long? This show is great, I love it! (Garnet is as cool as I expected) The music in this show is amazing. It really makes the show for me. Man I'm really upset knowing CN shows almost never get a soundtrack released. Everyone is loveable in their own way too and it's pretty funny. Looks like I'm gonna have to catch up on this one.

Electricmastro

The_Ninja wrote:

The only CN shows I watch are Regular Show and Gumball. Used to watch MAD, but unlike RS, it's hard to find newer episodes online...

You don't bother to watch Adventure Time?

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

baba_944

The only cartoons I watch now are AT, RS, Spongebob (classics), and now "Sonic Boom". "Clarence" is a pathetically dumb show, and Stephen Universe is a show I'm not into.

Who are you?

Electricmastro

baba_944 wrote:

The only cartoons I watch now are AT, RS, Spongebob (classics), and now "Sonic Boom". "Clarence" is a pathetically dumb show, and Stephen Universe is a show I'm not into.

The first three seasons of Spongebob I presume?

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Sir_Diabeetus

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I finally watched Steven Universe! Saw the first four episodes. Holy cow what took me so long? This show is great, I love it! (Garnet is as cool as I expected) The music in this show is amazing. It really makes the show for me. Man I'm really upset knowing CN shows almost never get a soundtrack released. Everyone is loveable in their own way too and it's pretty funny. Looks like I'm gonna have to catch up on this one.

What if CN is already trying to dub Steven Universe in Japanese, I wonder what Pearl and Garnet's voice is going to sound like?

CN already dub Adventure Time and Amazing World of Gumball in Japanese, so why not Steven Universe?

[spoiler]I'm alive- wait no... I'm dead.[/spoiler]

Nintendo Network ID: Superninten13

baba_944

Electricmastro wrote:

baba_944 wrote:

The first three seasons of Spongebob I presume?

Yep.

Who are you?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.