Forums

Topic: Can a bad game have good sequels?

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

Bass_X0

All to often I hear people say that just because a game is bad, it shouldn't be given any more sequels because they are also expected to be bad.

I disagree. Bad games can have good sequels. You only have to look at Street Fighter for proof. It just depends on how much a developer learns from the feedback of their bad game and how they use it to prevent the sequel from becoming a bad game.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Kyloctopus

Street Fighter is a really good example, considering Capcom is rejecting its own existance
I have to say it doesn't, because not many people would give a bad game a sequel, much less a good sequel. I'll give you an example if I ever find one.

Edited on by Kyloctopus

Past Names: Koops3, Klyo, Whirlpool, Titanics, Birthday_Boy
If you're looking for a good Miiverse profile, do I have one for you!

Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

Jaz007

Yes, they can. Red Steel 2 was a great game and most people thought that while most people thought the first one was a bad game. I've only played 2 though.

Jaz007

SheldonRandoms

Spider Man 2 was better then the first one (i'm talking about the video game of course)

Aren't LUCARIO's paws adorable?

http://eshopgurus.webs.com/ (I review stuff here, check it out : P )

I love to rev up those fryers!

Ristar the Shooting Star fanboy!

I gave birth to Sheldon & Mr. Randoms

I'm a kangaroo!

I'M SWELLTASTIC!

SHELDONRANDOMS X UNDEAD_TERROR IN ALL CAPS LOCK GLORY!!!

Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Tasuki

Sure, sequels are meant to be better than the previous games. Even with a bad game they can completely redo the gameplay or whatever made the first game so bad with a sequel.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Splat

Jaz007 wrote:

Yes, they can. Red Steel 2 was a great game and most people thought that while most people thought the first one was a bad game. I've only played 2 though.

First game that came to mind. I thought the first game was awful but loved Red Steel 2.

Edited on by Splat

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

Knux

Yes, Metroid is a prime example.

Knux

kkslider5552000

Knux wrote:

Yes, Metroid is a prime example.

Kid Icarus too.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 better be happening! In the meanwhile though, here's a fun little Let's Play of the original. Think you'll like the game if you like Zelda!
LeT's PlAy BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

SomeBitTripFan

Knux wrote:

Yes, Metroid is a prime example.

I thought I was the only fan of Echos. I never understood why people hated it.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything truly valid about what I say; Please exercise both.
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Meowpheel

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

Knux wrote:

Yes, Metroid is a prime example.

I thought I was the only fan of Echos. I never understood why people hated it.

"Metroid is a prime example"

Not

"Metroid Prime is an example"

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Bankai

Bass_X0 wrote:

All to often I hear people say that just because a game is bad, it shouldn't be given any more sequels because they are also expected to be bad.

I disagree. Bad games can have good sequels. You only have to look at Street Fighter for proof. It just depends on how much a developer learns from the feedback of their bad game and how they use it to prevent the sequel from becoming a bad game.

Hyperdimenson Neptunia.

The first game was a real push to enjoy (and for people less into weird Japanese RPGs than me, this means "woeful"), but the second game was a massive, massive improvement.

KingDunsparce

Well I know that sequels can be far better than the originals, even when the original was fun. Such as Portal 2 and Half-Life 2

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P
Behold: My Sparceloggery
Needs more Dunsparce. Much better

Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

KingDunsparce

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

@Pikminsi Too bad 3 will never come...

Yeah... My very last hope for a 3 will be at this e3 with the coming Steam Box. (Probably shouldn't get my hopes up though)

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P
Behold: My Sparceloggery
Needs more Dunsparce. Much better

Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

moomoo

Red Steel 2 immediately comes to mind for me too.
On a lesser gravity from "bad" to "heavily flawed", Assassin's Creed 2 comes to mind as well.

Generally speaking, though, bad games don't get sequels.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Drawdler

In my opinion the original Skylanders on console was pretty bad but Giants on console is pretty awesome.

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

RancidVomit86

Yes.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

Top

  • Pages:
  • 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic