Forums

Topic: Biggest gaming pleasant surprises/ disappointments of the year?

Posts 41 to 52 of 52

IAmNotWill

I've played Mario Kart 7 and I can confirm Destructoid, and by extension, Mickeymac, has a point. My own personal opinion is between Nintendolife's review and Destructoid, but I was deeply disappointed that Nintendo couldn't be bothered fixing some, now critical, problems with the formula.

And yes, I'm critical of Call of Duty for much the same reason.

That's fine. What I am trying to say, it is unfair and silly to say a game has many returning problems without playing said game. I don't know how he could have an opinion of MK7 unless he got a review copy or something.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

Tasuki

Biggest Surprises:
1. The 3DS I thought that it was just going to be another upgraded DS but boy was I wrong I am finding that I am playing this alot more than my Wii
2. Blizzards announcement of Mists of Pandarea expansion for World of Warcraft
3. Mortal Kombat. I got this game cause I heard it was a reboot. After the last few MK games I wasnt expecting much. Boy was I wrong.

Biggest Disappointments:
1. Nintendo's support for the Wii VC
2. Pokemon White/Black. It had some cool new Pokemon and new features but not enough to keep my interest, I got bored of it cause in the end it was just like every other Pokemon game.
3. The cancellation of the Starwars Xbox.
4. Megaman in Dr Wilys Revenge on 3DS VC. I was expecting this to be as good as the NES Megaman games but it is frustrating harder than any Megaman game I played.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Adam

Didn't realize anyone cared about grand prix aside from playing through it on the day it comes out to unlock everything.

I played MKDS a ton online and locally with eight player get togethers, and I consistently came in first despite blue shells or Bullet Bills. They really aren't a problem. The bottom screen shows your opponents' items. See a Bullet Bill? Don't race through the middle of the track. See a blue shell? Slow down so someone else goes down with you, or better yet, passes you up to take the fall on his own. If you play the game as pure racer, you are going to go down hard sometimes, but if you think of it as a Mario Kart game, all the supposed problems with the games have solutions.

You can also avoid the blue shell with good timing in at least one previous game. Time will tell if that is possible in this one.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

theblackdragon

Adam wrote:

The bottom screen shows your opponents' items. See a Bullet Bill? Don't race through the middle of the track. See a blue shell? Slow down so someone else goes down with you, or better yet, passes you up to take the fall on his own. If you play the game as pure racer, you are going to go down hard sometimes, but if you think of it as a Mario Kart game, all the supposed problems with the games have solutions.

You can also avoid the blue shell with good timing in at least one previous game. Time will tell if that is possible in this one.

exactly! hopefully avoiding the things you need to avoid will be just like MKDS, lol — but you're so going down on Sunday regardless >:3

as for pleasant surprises, Radiant Historia is mine. I've never truly enjoyed an Atlus game before, and to have RH freakin' blow me away with its damn-near-perfection like that was craziness.

biggest disappointment for me was Ni No Kuni being announced for PS3 as opposed to the DS version seeing an English translation. sigh.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

shingi_70

biggest disappointment for me was Ni No Kuni being announced for PS3 as opposed to the DS version seeing an English translation. sigh.

It was that damn book that stopped the translation. Hopefully they port to Wii-U.

I know the problems that people have with mario kart and I have to say one thing. No One Cares. The Target Audience that makes most of the sales honestly couldn't care about rubberbanding A.I. or cheap items.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

grumblebuzzz

Disappointment - Star Fox 64 3D. For the price tag, there should have been much more content there. This game should have been no more than $19.99 and I still feel sort of burned that Nintendo got forty bucks of my hard earned cash for it.

Pleasant Surprise - Super Mario 3D Land. When I saw the initial screenshots and video of the game in action, I was largely underwhelmed by the recycled look and sound of the game. Upon playing it though, my fears were largely unfounded as SM3DL is definitely THE game to have on 3DS so far and stands as (IMO) the best portable Mario title of all time.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

GameLord08

Adam wrote:

Didn't realize anyone cared about grand prix aside from playing through it on the day it comes out to unlock everything.

I played MKDS a ton online and locally with eight player get togethers, and I consistently came in first despite blue shells or Bullet Bills. They really aren't a problem. The bottom screen shows your opponents' items. See a Bullet Bill? Don't race through the middle of the track. See a blue shell? Slow down so someone else goes down with you, or better yet, passes you up to take the fall on his own. If you play the game as pure racer, you are going to go down hard sometimes, but if you think of it as a Mario Kart game, all the supposed problems with the games have solutions.

...Oh, dear. ._.

GameLord08

Reala

Biggest surprise would be xenoblade much better than I expected, biggest disappointment would be the 3DS for me all the games I wanted except for OOT wheren't even released this year, oh well its a nice alarm clock at least.

Reala

zezhyrule

Pleasant Surprises:

• Dark Souls - I didn't think I'd like this one. It ended up being one of my favorite games this year ...now lemme get further than the beginning D:
  • Zelda: SS - thought I'd hate this from the early videos I saw, now it looks like it's pretty awesome. Just need to buy it. And stuff.
  • 3DS - Bleh

Disappointments:

• Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD ver. - Lazy work Crapcom, no trophies, no online mode... At least you got AHP to work with it, which just happens to be full of glitches and problems nonexistent in the PSP original (which I would recommend to anyone over this), and yes, AHP means wired connection required. Doesn't look that great either. At least it's crazy fun
  • Nintendo - Crappy year for them, haven't bought one nintendo game this year yet. (that will change with Zelda: SS of course)
  • Vita - bleh

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Rensch

Biggest surprise was the European release of Xenoblade. And boy, was it awesome!

Biggest dissapointment was probably Pokémon Black and White. It was marketed as the game that would finally freshen up the formula a bit. Unfortunately, it was the most uninspired Pokémon game ever. For every good thing it introduced, it also eliminated something that was cool in earlier games. It wasn't bad, but it was a missed opportunity. They should have waited another year and make it into a 3DS game.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

brandonbwii

Disappointment-3DS launch, excruciating wait for improvements, Skyward Sword not quite the Zelda "reinvention" I expected.

Pleasant Surprises-Gunstringer, Arkham City (didn't expect the open world to work as well as it did), FreakyForms.

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

TeeJay

Pleasant Surprise - Rayman Origins - Haven't played it, but I loved the original Rayman and this seems just as fun. And 10/10? Wow!

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.