Forums

Topic: Best Games You've Played in 2014 (So Far)!

Posts 1 to 20 of 33

RR529

Well, we're only a few days away from the end of June, which also means the end of the first half of the year. With that in mind, what games in the year's first half have impressed you most?

NOTE: the games didn't have to have released this year. You just had to experience them for the first time this year.

For me:

5. Bugs VS Tanks (3DS eShop) - I picked this up during the Level-5 sale, and am glad I did. The game has an astounding amount of content for an eShop title (40 single player missions, 15 co-op missions, TONS of unlockables), the various tanks & bugs have amazing detail, and it's simply a guilty pleasure. It can get a bit repetitive though, and to unlock everything you have to do the co-op missions, which are impossible solo.

4. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (3DS Amb) - I've had this for a long time, but held off on playing this until there was a drought, and when I finally got around to it, it was a blast. Classic Kirby action, but in a cool "Metroidvania" styled adventure, and with a surprising amount of difficulty. It also has cool collectables, some interesting bosses, and even some Smash refs. As for negatives, the connection of the world doesn't feel very organic, and the map isn't well implemented.

3. Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS eShop) - This is more an interactive story, than a game, but it's still an amazing experience. The game world looks absolutely stunning, and anyone who was ever a kid can relate to the charming story (it's even cooler if you're into Japanese culture, like myself). Heck, even the trading card game you play with the other characters can get addicting, lol. It's a tad short, but that's not a major complaint.

2. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (3DS Amb) - This was my first time playing Yoshi's Island, and I can't believe what I've been missing out on! The graphics are still gorgeous today, and with some of the cool tricks (like the polygonal platforms), it's hard to believe this ever ran on a SNES. As for the gameplay itself, it was fun & had a level of difficulty you just don't get from Nintendo platformers these days (I still haven't beat a single special level, lol), and the bosses were all very unique and tons of fun. Mario's cry was annoying, but that's the only thing I could possibly find to "complain" about, lol.

1. Red Dead Redemption (360) - I technically started playing it during the final week of 2013 (got it as a Christmas gift), but I played the vast majority of it in 2014. I've had some fun with open world games in the past, but this is the first one that truely sold me on the genre, and the first one I managed to complete. Westerns are one of my least favorite themes in films, which made it all the more surprising that I got thoroughly engrossed in the game's story/world (maybe it's because the theme is so rare in the gaming world). The game world itself is huge with a surprising amount of variety, and whether it's the varied styles of mission types, and stuff you can do while just goofing off, there's never a dull moment (heck, even riding across the countryside on horseback has a sort of majesty to it). The story could be a bit raw at times (for my tastes), but other than that, it was an amazing experience.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DBPirate

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
Tomodachi Life (3DS)
Wii Party U (Wii U)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

I'm getting Injustice: Gods Among Us (Wii U) tomorrow so that might as well be on here since I know it'll be at least good.

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

WhiteNoise17

I actually haven't had many games this year so far but I did play a couple of good ones.

4. Pokemon X: There is nothing really to say here its a pokemon game and a rather standard on for all it was hyped up to be. It has awesome graphics but after that there was nothing that really stood out to me, the villains were a joke as usual, the region was different and had its own personality, and the Pokemon themselves were unique and original( A Luchador bird? brilliant.) but those are all things you'd expect from one but lack of compelling post game and the Exp Share making the game too easy it doesn't even come close to my favorite pokemon game. cough Soul Silver cough.

3. Minecraft: I must say two things first this year was my first experience with the game and second I liked it way more than I thought I would. My cousin one day brought over his 360 and told me to try it out and I spent all day until 7 am the next day playing this. Its insanely addictive to just walk around a vast empty world and put your own spin on it. simplicity at its best but thats the problem after a while it gets boring after a while even with friends and nuking a small village with TNT.

2. Super Mario Bros 2; I'm not sure if this counts but I actually played the game before but this year I actually beat the game and even though it was a pain and cheap sometimes its still a game that I enjoyed to the point of when my friends crack jokes I scream, I'LL REMEMBER THIS!!

1. Rune Factory 4: While I would have put ALBW instead of Rune Factory I got it last year and I beat ALBW fully in two days and was bored so I traded it in and got Rune Factory and wow its good. I had heard of Rune Factory before (through the Internet and some friends) and that it was the spin-off to Harvest Moon a farming game so I lost interest and put it into my backlog. When I was ready to try an game I figured I'd go with Tides of Destiny for the Wii but figured I'd get the latest installment being the 4th title bought and was strangely hooked to it, since I hate life simulators like the sims and have never played an Animal crossing game it was an experience. Like Minecraft it was strangely addictive to do basic RPG tasks like forging and monster fighting in a living world. But I traded it in for Pokemon X so... yeah... still the best game I played this year so far.

Capcom at E3: Guys we're sorry about how we've been treating Mega Man so we're gonna make it up to you by releasing the Mega Man Cancelled Collection with all the titles we cancelled in the condition they we're in just before we pulled the plug. Now who wants Street Fighter X Monster Hunter?

kkslider5552000

Right now I will say Dark Souls since the only other games of comparable quality I've played specifically this year I've not gotten too far into yet.

Dark Souls is almost EXACTLY like everyone keeps saying it is. Like, it's not my favorite game ever or anything but the design of the game is astoundingly good. Basically imagine a more advanced combat focused Skyward Sword without Fi. And with some Monster Hunter. And a bit of classic Castlevania. And it's genuinely fair, or as fair as a game like it is allowed to be. Though online doesn't work for me for no apparent reason, which helps.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Zizzy

1. Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney. Can't believe I haven't played through this series yet, time for the next game!
2. Alan Wake. Great thriller, super cool style of gameplay as well.

Zizzy

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1585-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Zizzy147

sinalefa

Scram Kitty and his buddy on rails. I am still surprised on how fresh this game is. You have to learn a whole new way to move your character, and it gets very challenging. One of the few games lacking achievements that I went for 100%, and that I bragged about that on Miiverse.

Bayonetta. After loving the Wonderful 101, I bought all other PlatinumGames games (minus Infinite Space) and yesterday I finished my second playthrough. Crazy story, crazy combo system. I will try not to play it again since I want to make at least one playthrough on Wii U when the sequel arrives in October.

Edited on by sinalefa

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

Maelstrom

4. FE: Sacred Stones (3DS Amb) Replayed though the second half and finally beat the game. So much fun.
3. Chrono Trigger (Wii VC) Self explanatory.
2. Guacamelee. (Steam) The combat was so much fun, I didn't care that there wasn't that much enemy variety.
1. Bravely Default. (3DS) It's one thing to not get bored playing a game. It's another thing when you play for 100+ hours. My GOTY so far.

Etrian Odyssey IV will be added soon, but I just got it yesterday

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

Dreamz

Note: I skipped the Wii, and didn't pick up a Wii U until March of this year, so everything below has been played for the first time by me after then.

Top 5:
1. Metroid: Other M - I know I'm in the minority, but I really adored this game and managed the hard task of making a 3D Metroid feel like a 2D Metroid (the Prime series failed that test for me). It was the first Wii game I finished on my Wii U, and it's definitely the best so far. My only complaint about this game was that I didn't like the clunky missile controls, but I felt pretty much everything else was fantastic.
2. Child of Light - I adore this game so much. The only thing that kept it from knocking Other M off the top spot was its brevity. That may change if they ever release any DLC for the title. <3 Aurora!
3. Skyward Sword - While I have many, many, many gripes with this game...those gripes are very subjective and don't prevent the game from being a very enjoyable experience. The soundtrack is wonderful, Zelda and Link have an actual relationship in this game (and one that is very kawii, at that), and if I don't see a Legend of Groose game in the future, I'm going to be very disappointed.
4. ZombiU - Gamespot should be ashamed of themselves. While this game certainly has issues, in so many ways it's survival horror done right, instead of the parade of FPS games thinly disguised as such. I doubt I need to name names. One of the few games that keeps me on the edge of my seat.
5. Wonderful101 - You can always tell when developers have fun creating a game, and Wonderful101 is one those games. A great cast, fantastic gameplay. The only thing that keeps it from being higher on the list is its uneven difficulty curve.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

JaxonH

Oh dear- this is gonna be a long list I think, so let's get to it.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
Pushmo World (Wii U)
Child of Light (Wii U)
Scram Kitty (Wii U)

Shovel Knight (Wii U/3DS)

Zelda Link Between Worlds (3DS)
Bravely Default (3DS)
Mario Golf World Tour (3DS)
Art of Balance (3DS)

Tomb Raider (PS4)
Infamous Second Son (PS4)
Trials Fusion (PS4)
Wolfenstein (PS4)
Transistor (PS4)
Valiant Hearts (PS4)

Final Fantasy X (Vita)
Borderlands 2 (Vita)
God of War HD Collection (Vita)
Lemmings Touch (Vita)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

SkywardLink98

Note: All following games were first played by me in the year of 2014 or in the last week of 2013.
4. inFAMOUS - I can run around saving innocents, or sucking the electricity out of their brains. The storyline is actually pretty good and the gameplay is fast and fluid.

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - I don't play a whole lot of online shooters, but I like this one a lot. I'm not too good but I find playing against bots suits me more than playing against human players who are a lot less cooperative.

2. inFAMOUS 2 - Pretty much the same as the original inFAMOUS except everything is improved. The powers feel better, I feel more agile, the combat is more fluid, the melee combat has been reworked and now feels just as fun as blasting enemies with electricity from afar.

1. Skyrim - A vast open world, with a fun skill system, plenty of armor, weapons, trinkets and spells, and lots and lots of sidequests. It's almost like they made it for me! The combat feels much, much better than Morrowind (the only other ES game I've played) and is pretty entertaining.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

unrandomsam

1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
2. Wolfenstein
3. Transistor
4. Sonic Lost World.
5. NSLU (Wouldn't count NSMBU as best of anything).
6. Rogue Legacy (New Game +2 is like a new game completely).
7. Goat Simulator

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Gamecubed

Oh wow... games I've picked up and really enjoyed in the last six months....

Tomb Raider (PS3) - The wonders a pair of pants have done for Lara Croft. Could have lived without all the button mashing and quick time events. The puzzle solving also took a bit of a backseat in the reboot. But I liked the story and the gameplay was fun. The acting was excellent as well. Can't wait for the next game.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - Speaks for itself. My eyes almost fell out of my head when I played for the first time.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Wii U) - Really surprised me. After playing the third game and hating it so much, I was cautious to say the least. I got the game cheaply on Amazon anyway after hearing good things. I'm glad I did. Fun and addicting. It's a solid adventure game for the Wii U. I really liked the story and how they portrayed the characters. It's also gorgeous to look at.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - I thought it was just going to be Mario 3D Land HD.... but it wasn't. It may have similar gameplay, but it is the better game. More creative and vibrant and just...... incredibly fun. A real treat to just pick up and play. One of the reason I love Nintendo is that I can come back to the game again and still have a good time.

I've picked up a lot of other games between January and now, but these four stand out as being my favourites.

Gamecubed

sub12

1. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
3. InFamous: Second Son (PS4)
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
5. Watch_Dogs (PS4)

sub12

RR529

SkywardLink98 wrote:

4. inFAMOUS - I can run around saving innocents, or sucking the electricity out of their brains. The storyline is actually pretty good and the gameplay is fast and fluid.

Yeah, I'm playing through InFamous right now, and it's on track to make my list for the reasons you said. Especially the gameplay, which really makes you feel awesome.

The only things I don't like are the fact that Cole sticks to ANYTHING, which can get annoying (I'm trying to dodge a rocket here, I don't need you suddenly hugging the nearest street light, lol), and the world is a bit too grey for my tastes (though this is entirely subjective).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

veeflames

These are the games I played during the last week(s) of 2013 and 2014 altogether.
1. Fire Emblem Awakening
2. Mario and Luigi Dream Team
3. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
4. Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Tasuki

1. Mega Man V (3DSVC) — I waited 20 years to play this game. I remember being a kid and seeing this game in issues of Nintendo Power. Never had the chance to play this game back then and I dont like playing Gameboy games in ways that can't be mentioned here so I waited till it was released on 3DSVC. What can I say it was well worth the wait. It felt so good playing a fresh Mega Man game for the first time. Everything was just perfect with this game the music the level design and not to mention that it was a totally unique entry in the GB Mega Man line.

2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) — What can I say that hasn't been said about this game already. I just got a chance to play it the other day. I really am enjoying this game alot especially online mode which is surprising. My biggest problem with this game is it seems the item rotation is messed up in a way. It seems that all I ever get is freakin mushrooms.

3. Dust: An Elysian Tale (PC) — Been wanting to play this game for awhile finally picked it up during GoG.com Summer DRM sale. A great metroidvania style game with gorgeous graphics and a soundtrack to match. I love the anime style along with the character designs. Definitely a must pay for metroidvania fans.

4. Strider (PS4) — Ok I will admit I have never played a Strider game before so I can't compare this to the original Strider. Another metroidvania game like Dust (see #3) but with a sci fi feel to. Again beautiful graphics and a great sound track. I love the Soviet inspired villains and voices. The Boss battles are great as well.

5. New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U) — Mario in HD!!! I know alot of people don't like this game but I enjoyed it nothing more then the multiplayer aspect. Whether it's with the family or with a couple of friends I had a blast with this one. The graphics were beautiful and the level designs were fun. I honestly can say I have yet to try this game on single player so I dont know how that is.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

BearHunger

It may look like a bunch of cardboard cutouts made of jello, but multiplayer Rayman Legends is so much fun. Murfy is brilliant.

I would be remiss not to mention Mario Kart 8, which far exceeded my expectations.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

8BitSamurai

In no particular order at all. I also got a ton of games this year I've yet to play, so I'm sure I could expand my list ten fold.
1. OutRun 2 - My favourite Xbox game. I wish they still made games like this today.
2. NBA Street V2 - The great Alonzo Mourning doing slam dunks with physics so outrageous Newton is rolling in his grave? Yes, please.
3. Star Wars: KOTOR 1 & 2 - I didn't think I'd like these games, but I do. So much stuff to do, so many options. Unfortunately, II is an unfinished game, even with the restored content mod.
4. Raiden (Series) - Before shooters became reduced to ludicrously difficult anime-style Japanese imports, there was Raiden, straight from the glory days of the shmup.
5. Spec Ops: The Line - This game is a very pleasant surprise. A military shooter with the focus on story, imagine that? And sometimes this game can be just plain weird.
6. NHL '94 - The premiere hockey game, with only one flaw. With 3 buttons (On the Genesis), you can start playing and scoring in just a few minutes, unlike some new hockey simulators with all their fancy features and controls. The only flaw? You can't play as Minnesota
7. Ys I - This game is just plain fantastic. Great story, characters, gameplay, design, everything. As one of the first big-budget CD games on consoles, this was a brilliant dawn into a new era.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

SuperPokefan95

Since I got my Wii U this year, the list will mostly be comprised of the Wii U games I have. So, other than W101, in no particular order:

1) The Wonderful 101 - I bought this game because I had heard that it was really good and it did not disappoint. I loved the soundtrack, the humor, the characters, and the gameplay. I have never experienced a game like this before and I'm glad I did buy it because it is my favorite game on the Wii U.

2) Mario Kart 8 - This is really the first Mario Kart game that I actually own. I played Mario Kart DS, Wii, and 7 but they were my cousin's so I never got to play it as much as I did 8. I like a lot of the new tracks in the game and a lot of classic tracks. The soundtrack is also fantastic and this game looks amazing. I'm really happy I bought this game.

3) Pikmin 3 - This was the game I got with the MK8 free game promotion and it was also my first Pikmin game. For being my first dive into the Pikmin series, I really liked what I played. This game always kept me on my toes and really tense when traversing the areas, (especially the last area). The game was a little annoying at times, (like when I beat the flying boss in the river area. My winged pikmin were taking stuff back and they got caught in the spider things web and I lost nearly all 40 of them -_- I reset of course and took sweet revenge on the spider) but I really enjoyed it and I would be willing to buy a Pikmin 4, should that ever come to be.

4) Super Mario 3D World - This is hands down my favorite 3D Mario game to date. I loved that I could play finally as characters other than Mario in a 3D Mario game. The soundtrack is really good and the graphics looked really nice. I'd say that my favorite character to play as would have to be Mario, Peach, and Rosalina.

5) Mega Man Zero Collection - I finally beat all 4 of the Zero games after putting it off for a year and I loved every single one of them. I think I like Zero 4 and Zero 3 the most out of the 4 games but Zero 1 and Zero 2 are still great games. I can also say that I like these games, (Z3 & Z4 mostly) over the ZX series which was my first introduction to the Mega Man series, (though I still love those games and I still want a 3rd game).

SuperPokefan95

3DS Friend Code: 0447-5046-0418 | Nintendo Network ID: SuperPokefan95 | Twitter:

rolLTheDice

Tom Clancy'sGhost Recon: Shadow Wars 3D (3DS) - I started playing this when it first came out and thought it wouldn't hurt to try not levelling up my troop after a level. I still got far but there was one mission that i just couldn't win this way. When i played Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon just trying to get everything downloadable before Wi-Fi ends i really got in a mood to play a game like this again. I can't quite estimate how much gaming time i'll have each day atm so i thought it'd be a good idea to play a game i've already seen a lot of before.
And there i am, even enjoying this one much more than i remember and never getting bored of it. Now the story might not trigger a lot of empathy for anything but the gameplay is so amazingly refined that this will surely go down as one of my favourite games ever.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.