General Discussion Forum

Topic: Atlus Fan Club

Showing 501 to 520 of 1,083

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

501. Posted:

@MERG Well Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey a first-person RPG and has a map. The battles are first-person, party-based and turn-based. Otherwise they're very different. The mapping is done for you automatically as it doesn't focus on exploration as much as EO. It's far more focused on story and the story is really good. Very mature and sophisticated, although slow and serious. In a way it's reminiscent of SMT III: Nocturne. In fact Strange Journey was originally intended to be SMT 4 before they decided to make it a spin-off.

Battles are 4-on-X, with 3 of your members being demons you can summon and interchange from the bench (so to speak). The other member is yourself, and you have a sword and a gun. If you die then the game is over. You can converse with your enemies to try and get items or money from them or even get them as comrades. The demon conversations are pretty interesting and you have to think about their personalities or they might get offended or even try to kill you, lol.

Lots of spells and abilities you can use - far more variety than EO3 has. Every demon (and yourself too) has different elemental strengths and weaknesses (FF and Pokemon come to mind) so you have to pay attention to those. Elements are a part of the SMT series. Demons (and yourself) have alignments (Lawful, Neutral, Chaos) and similar alignments work better together in battle. Your conversation choices throughout the game also determine your own alignment. Character customisation is nowhere near as in-depth as EO3 though. You can't choose your own stats or class. Instead it's like Pokemon where you select from the many characters you've collected. Demon fusion is a big part of the game, letting you upgrade your party members and complete your demon encyclopedia. If you've played another SMT game then you would understand most of the systems in place.

I'm not sure I would recommend SJ as a first SMT game if you haven't played any before. The story is a little tough to swallow and the mechanics are a little unusual. I'd say SMT: Devil Survivor (also on the DS) would be a better first since it's easier to understand and its story is a little more light-hearted, fast-paced and is easier to understand. It also has a nice introduction to the game system, story concepts and the Press Turn combat system common to a lot of the SMT series. It also has a younger, urban aesthetic (kind of like TWEWY). It's a tactical RPG like Disgaea/FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre if you like those, but the battle system is very much like other JRPGs where you go into "battle mode" and have turns in combat. It's also a very deep game, with some very tough tactical situations and a complex branching storyline and multiple endings. I've played through Devil Survivor four times so far and I love it.

Edited on by HolyMackerel

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage

MERG

502. Posted:

@HM...wow...thanks. I have never played a SMT game before so I guess I would start with Devil Survivor. But, as far as tactical games go...I suck.

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

503. Posted:

MERG wrote:

@HM...wow...thanks. I have never played a SMT game before so I guess I would start with Devil Survivor. But, as far as tactical games go...I suck.

You don't have to worry about that really. Character placement is done like a tactical RPG using an isometric grid, but the combat is just like other JRPGs. :) You'll get used to it anyway, the difficulty curve (and story pacing) is one of the best I've seen in a tactical RPG.

Actually here are some good video reviews of both. Classic Game Room FTW. :) It's hard to recommend one over the other because I don't know your tastes. Hope these help you make your decision.

SMT: Devil Survivor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAwLQD4TLI8

SMT: Strange Journey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al42ZS5HTkA

EDIT: DS is great if you like newer games with modern styles and tactical RPGs. SJ is great if you like old-school dungeon crawlers and traditional RPGs. I think DS is a better introduction to the series, personally, but SJ may be better for you since it has similarities to EO. Both are hard and great fun.

× steam

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

504. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

In a way it's reminiscent of SMT III: Nocturne. In fact Strange Journey was originally intended to be SMT 4 before they decided to make it a spin-off.

Last I checked, Strange Journey was part of the main series. SMT1 and 2 were First Person dungeon crawlers, too, and actually play somewhat similarly to Strange Journey. If anything, SJ is more of a sequel than Nocturne was, at least in my opinion. I suppose they are both worthy sequels, of course. At least Nocturne kept the overworld navigation.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

505. Posted:

Will you two stop talkin about this game. I already have enough games to play. You make me wanna look to a bargain bin somewhere.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

506. Posted:

@Mickeymac Yes, it's very much in line with the main SMT series and would be a worthy entry. I meant specifically that it was intended to be SMT 4 (a numbered title) but they decided against it in the end. (As you can probably tell, it isn't "Shin Megami Tensei 4: Strange Journey. ;)) This is probably because it's on a portable device and not a home console.

@Tech LOL but it's a great game! :P

× steam

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

507. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

@Mickeymac Yes, it's very much in line with the main SMT series and would be a worthy entry. I meant specifically that it was intended to be SMT 4 (a numbered title) but they decided against it in the end. (As you can probably tell, it isn't "Shin Megami Tensei 4: Strange Journey. ;)) This is probably because it's on a portable device and not a home console.

I thought they did that to minimalize the confusion outside Japan?

Also, I love Classic Game Room. "When I grow up, I wanna be a gaint Robot!" Classic. Did they edit that in? I never had that guy

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

508. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

HolyMackerel wrote:

I thought they did that to minimalize the confusion outside Japan?

Also, I love Classic Game Room. "When I grow up, I wanna be a gaint Robot!" Classic. Did they edit that in? I never had that guy

That it was a handheld game and thus not a main entry was my speculation from before the game had been released. But now that you've so valiantly done the research...

In fact, the location change is one of the reasons why Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey was not titled Shin Megami Tensei IV.

"One of the reasons". It being on a handheld is still likely IMO.

Anyway, the article says they set Strange Journey in Antarctica so it will appeal to players in any country. Certainly an interesting direction for a very Japan-centric series! It does not confirm that Strange Journey is in fact SMT 4 (or ever was, for that matter). We may yet see a SMT 4 in the future. If they skip to SMT 5 then they should have given SJ a little more recognition. :P

× steam

AuthorMessage

MERG

509. Posted:

@HM...thanks for posting those videos. Those games look cool...and involved!

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

510. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

@Mickeymac I hear Sands of Destruction is a bit of a let-down. You may not be playing it for too long. Alternatively: finish SJ first. :P

Actually, the first few hours of Sands of Destruction have been very enjoyable so far. I think I'll stick with it for now, at least until it gets old.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

511. Posted:

I'm so glad I pre-ordered Strange Journey so I could get the bonus soundtrack. Lot of good songs on there, IMO.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

512. Posted:

Anyone played Knights in Nightmare?

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

513. Posted:

slapshot82 wrote:

I've played a few stages, yeah. Nice game, but a bit too complicated for its own good.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

514. Posted:

slapshot82 wrote:

Hey when did you get your shield! Congrats!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

515. Posted:

slapshot82 wrote:

I played it, figured it out, played a few stages, put it down. I've now forgotten how to play it and I'm really not in the mood for doing the long tutorials again. Sheesh.

× steam

AuthorMessage

NathanUC

516. Posted:

Dost thou seek soul power, dost thou not?
I'm Nathan Michalik and I approve of all 26 pages of this thread....

Demon's Souls... best PS3 game of all time and one of my personal favorite games of all time (only to be topped by Sonic Adventure 2)
Also huge fan of 3d Dot Games, Knights in the Nightmare, Persona series, and Guilty Gear.

Atlus is my favorite game developer by far.

PSN/XBL/Steam: nathanuc1988Feel free to add me! (please, no blank friend requests.)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

517. Posted:

^I love Guilty Gear! I don't think they were published by Atlus, but they're great games all the same. The Persona series is great, too.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

518. Posted:

The Guilty Gear series was developed by Arc System Works and mostly published by Sega-Sammy, not Atlus. They aren't considered Atlus games by any means.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure one of them was published in the west by Atlus though... Research shows some wikis saying Guilty Gear (the original on PSX) was published by Atlus.

× steam

AuthorMessage

NathanUC

519. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

The Guilty Gear series was developed by Arc System Works and mostly published by Sega-Sammy, not Atlus. They aren't considered Atlus games by any means.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure one of them was published in the west by Atlus though... Research shows some wikis saying Guilty Gear (the original on PSX) was published by Atlus.

Yeah, I had the original with Atlus on the label :) Even if it hardly counts, with the amount of hours I put into it on ps1.. I added it to my Atlus list lol

PSN/XBL/Steam: nathanuc1988Feel free to add me! (please, no blank friend requests.)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

520. Posted:

Happy Holidays from Atlus!

I just got The Dark Spire in the mail (borrowed a copy at college, now I got my own), and I'm not sure if I should play that, or SMT: Strange Journey (which I just got back into this morning when the mail came.:P)?

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~