Forums

Topic: Asking for a job.

Posts 21 to 24 of 24

SuperPeach

I was a regular customer at a store and I know a lot about retro games. At the store the owner had lost his game expert so he offered me a job.

It only lasted a month because I stink at talking to people but I got some job experiance from it.

My advice, don't worry about rejection, lots of people don't get a job every time they apply but if you don't apply you won't get any job.

Edited on by SuperPeach

SuperPeach

Raylax

I've applied for something like 20 jobs for the summer in the last few weeks and haven't even received a response from any of them LOL. I think recession hit this area pretty hard, near enough every job that comes up gets 100+ applicants in the first day they're advertised.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

ejamer

theblackdragon wrote:

another thing i've just been reminded of, here -- if you land an interview at one place, don't just go into that interview and immediately stop applying. ...

This was really good advice. Two short stories that it made me think of:

(1) A friend of mine was applying for jobs, but then got an interview with a company he really wanted to work for. It was a great environment, interesting work, and suited him perfectly! Best of all, the manager there really liked him and wanted to give him the job. So my friend stopped applying and decided to wait for the good news. Well, he waited and waited... and finally called them. The word was still positive at that point, so he waited some more. Eventually the company got back to him and said that the grant they had applied for didn't come though, so they didn't have the money to hire him after all. Even though he wanted to work there and they wanted him to be an employee, things didn't work out and almost his entire summer was wasted.

Moral of the story: don't stop looking until you start working, or you might end up with a job for much longer than you want.

(2) My wife probably applied to 50 places before finding a job, but if she had stopped applying after her first couple of interviews then she wouldn't have found the place where she is actually working now. The funny thing is that she still gets contacted once in a while to come for interviews (or sometimes sent a job offer) from companies that have her resume on file, even though she's been working happily for over 6 months.

Moral of the story: the work you do when applying for jobs might not pay off immediately, but is like sowing seeds for later. Always be honest and polite and do your best, and good results will come eventually!

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Xiepher

I've been trying to get a job that I'm phyisically able to do ever since 2005 and I'm still looking.

Xiepher

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.