Forums

Topic: Are We Being Too Harsh on the 2015 Digital Event?

Posts 1 to 20 of 127

Okapi

It's no secret that plenty of us were left disappointed with Nintendo's show this year. Hateful comments have popped up on Facebook, Twitter, and even here at Nintendo Life, ranging from "So upset" to "SET FIRE TO IWATA". People all over the web complained about a poor selection of games, a lack of Wii U titles and even some disappointment about the puppet presentation. Sure, some of that rage is justified, but was the presentation THAT bad, or did we all have a classic case of overhype and expect too much?

Now, before you shoot me down and tell me everything wrong with the Big N's Digital Event, let's dig back up a long-forgotten memory...
E3 2014.
Smash Bros, amiibo, and of course, the star of the show, Splatoon. Throw in everything from Mario Maker to Hyrule Warriors and sprinkle in that wonderful taste of an HD Zelda game. Nintendo fans stood proud amongst those attending the massive gaming event, and we yelled to the masses that Nintendo undoubtedly won E3.

Now here we are again today. But this isn't hype we're spreading to the masses, this is straight-up hate. Anger flows through our veins as we type away our anger for all the world to see.
But let's think about something here...
Nintendo said they'd be focusing on 2015 titles. We already knew that, we've known it for a month now. We already know most of the titles they've been working on this year, and yet we expected Metroids and F-Zeros and another glimmer of hope in the form of another look at that HD Zelda game (Whcih was explicitly stated not to be appearing at E3). Instead we got... Well, not that stuff. But is that Nintendo's fault, or is it our's?

Let me clarify here: I think we overhyped ourselves into thinking that this event would be as groundbreaking as last year's. But how, I ask, could Nintendo compete with last year's presentation, if all the titles being showcased were games we already knew about? Not every year can be filled with Smash hype and amiibos, folks. I think, if we weren't expecting so much from the Digital Event, we'd all be happier with the outcome. They did show some pretty neat and intuitive stuff, give them that, at least. The Wii U isn't in it's prime anymore, so of course there aren't as many hype games to be excited about.

So instead of blindly hating on this year's Nintendo presentation simply for not being last year's presentation, let's put those memories aside and appreciate what we got.

Edited on by Okapi

Okapi

nacho_chicken

Nintendo blew all the good announcements early. If the Event ended with Mother 1 being announced, the hate would be drowned out by the hype. Overall, I was kind of disappo-

fed0ra7 wrote:

Also Mario Tennis is great and if you don't agree your opinion is wrong.

Nice job trying to start a serious discussion and then telling people their opinions are "wrong".

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Nintendo_Ninja

No. No we aren't. They punched Metroid and AC fans in the face. Forcing Amiibo and plenty of games we've already seen was also bad. Starfox and some other things were good, but it still sucked.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Okapi

nacho_chicken wrote:

Nice job trying to start a serious discussion and then telling people their opinions are "wrong".

Heh, sorry about that. Just trying to throw in a little humor....

(Also I'm seriously hyped for Mario Tennis)

Okapi

-Green-

Honestly, I did find the E3 presentation to be disappointing, but I feel like people at the moment are exaggerating far to much.Although it's common for people to act in the heat of the moment and over react. I just say we give it time, so people can calm down, and really understand the situation.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

TuVictus

It wasn't the worst (remember the cammie years?), but it was disappointing. It wasn't bad, it was just barely passable at best.

TuVictus

WebHead

For me its pretty underwhelming. I don't mind spinoffs, but the AC and Metroid ones were slaps in the face. And whoever suggested ending it with 2 geezers talking about old Mario level design and the some website thing needs to be fired.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Okapi

Also, just to throw this out there, this thread isn't really saying "Everything Nintendo did today was perfectly wonderful", btw. I'm quite saddened by amiibo Festival, myself. What I was really getting at is that I think we were expecting too much, and when we didn't get it, we overreacted.

Okapi

Jazzer94

Honestly it was one of the worst Nintendo e3 events I have ever watched, the pacing was poor so many of the games just disappointing (looking at you AC) and there were too many parts that just weren't needed.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

veeflames

Yes, I guess we are. I really think people should just realize that there's a new Star Fox.
But no... it's getting shot down because of what? GRAPHICS. Seriously, guys?

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

kkslider5552000

Yes. But to be fair, people were too nice the past 2 years (especially 2013) and Nintendo Direct killed new E3 announcements ages ago.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

kyuubikid213

It was the worst because Nintendo didn't meet everyone's impossible expectations. The only way people would have been satisfied with it as I was would be if Nintendo released Zelda U tomorrow, put Mother 3 on the eShop with 3DS/Wii U cross-buy, got all of the third parties back (along with Halo 5 and Uncharted 4), and announced Metroid Prime 4 in a Wii U Slim bundle.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

MsJubilee

WebHead wrote:

For me its pretty underwhelming. I don't mind spinoffs, but the AC and Metroid ones were slaps in the face. And whoever suggested ending it with 2 geezers talking about old Mario level design and the some website thing needs to be fired.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

kyuubikid213

WebHead wrote:

I've officially lost faith in the entire Nintendo Life community.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

WebHead

kyuubikid213 wrote:

WebHead wrote:

I've officially lost faith in the entire Nintendo Life community.

okay a bit harsh but my point remains. That was a pitiful ending.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

NinChocolate

The spin-offs killed off the reveal hype. Star Fox was the biggest adventure game but it's an on-rails shooter so it's limited. Mario Tennis was not the Mario cherry on top of Mario's 30th. Too much Yoshi and interviews about yarn. NO HD REMASTERS! Charity and selfies are good things but not great way to end an E3 trailer event.

So it wasnt great but I'm personally not upset at things as there's plenty of Nintendo games to play this year when I factor in my VC and indie titles along with everything else.

NinChocolate

MsJubilee

kyuubikid213 wrote:

It was the worst because Nintendo didn't meet everyone's impossible expectations. The only way people would have been satisfied with it as I was would be if Nintendo released Zelda U tomorrow, put Mother 3 on the eShop with 3DS/Wii U cross-buy, got all of the third parties back (along with Halo 5 and Uncharted 4), and announced Metroid Prime 4 in a Wii U Slim bundle.

Please don't tell me you actually liked this? Please don't tell me this was decent for you? It's not bad it's just disappointing people wanted new games for the Wiiu and they didn't get it oh wait they got a mario sports game a spinoff game that's a slap to the fans. And 3DS games one was great one we already knew about and the other was a slap to the fans as well. In the end this was disappointing for Nintendo fans. But i'll give them props for showing off Starfox tho.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

moomoo

Eh, the problem is that we knew about everything already. And the thing is, if we didn't know about everything at this point, I doubt there'd be as many Wii U owners as there are right now. The hope for new stuff is what's keeping people to keep their system. It's really bad when you spend a good long while talking about Yarn Yoshi again and not demonstrating anything new. Other press conferences knew to just not show anything if there wasn't anything new to show.

Thing is, there just wasn't much worth anything in that event. Starfox looked good, but everything else varied from "meh" to "oh god why." I think it just boils down to a lack of effort. Both Animal Crossing games reuse assets from the 3DS game, Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi do the same (just do one or the other, cmon), that new Metroid game looks absolutely dreadful (honestly, I think Metroid Prime: Hunters looks better), Mario Tennis seems like another cash grab (like the 3DS game), and Zelda Three Swords once again reuses assets. Mario Maker is a level editor, and that is Nintendo's highlight fall title.

I'm fine with reusing assets every once in a while; plenty of games do it. But goodness gracious, pace yourselves! That's an obscene amount of games that look identical to past entries for one press event. Oh, and all of these games are full retail price.

Then there's how Xenoblade is already out, and impressions from Japan seem to indicate it isn't at the level of Xenoblade. Fire Emblem and the FE SMT crossover didn't have a point being there, since we didn't get anything from them.

Then there's the emphasis on Amiibo. I don't care about your overpriced toy lineup, Nintendo. I care about your games.

Star Fox was the highlight, and it didn't exactly leave a "wow" kind of impression. It looks fine, but it honestly looks like just another Star Fox (that is based on the Star Fox 3DS engine and uses Wii assets) . There was a time when Nintendo put out games that were ahead of their time, even on the Wii. That time doesn't seem to be here anymore, and honestly hasn't for a while, at least on their home console.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Okapi

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Yes, I guess we are. I really think people should just realize that there's a new Star Fox.
But no... it's getting shot down because of what? GRAPHICS. Seriously, guys?

Wait, seriously? I thought the Star Fox graphics looked really good...

Okapi

kyuubikid213

Ah well. This Digital Event has come and gone.

Time to overhype ourselves for the upcoming Nintendo Direct so we can continue to be angry at Nintendo for not releasing precisely what we want them to release when we want them to release it.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.