Forums

Topic: Are clone consoles legal?

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

LordTendoboy
Chrono_Cross

If it's licensed, yes. I have a licensed console that can play NES and SNES games.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

V8_Ninja

Before Reading The First Post: This is a NintendoBoy thread, isn't it?

After Reading The First Post: Uugh, this is a Nintendoboy thread.

OP: I honestly don't know. I would assume not because the knock-off consoles are interpreting the cartridge data differently than how the old consoles did it. Also, it might have to do something with patents and how digital versions of old games are more profitable than whatever companies would get from suing the knock-off producers.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

LordTendoboy

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

If it's licensed, yes. I have a licensed console that can play NES and SNES games.

They are all unlicensed, and as you can see, a few of them even copied the exact design of the SNES controller.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

LordTendoboy

V8_Ninja wrote:

Before Reading The First Post: This is a NintendoBoy thread, isn't it?

After Reading The First Post: Uugh, this is a Nintendoboy thread.

OP: I honestly don't know. I would assume not because the knock-off consoles are interpreting the cartridge data differently than how the old consoles did it. Also, it might have to do something with patents and how digital versions of old games are more profitable than whatever companies would get from suing the knock-off producers.

Why aren't there any clone consoles of the PS1, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Turbografix-16, etc.? Those consoles aren't being manufactured anymore, so you'd think these knock-off companies would jump at the opportunity.

[...

Shock_Tart

technically its not infringement or copyright seeing as they are just making their own systems. they arent using the Nintendo logo or any of its offical parts and calling it their own. nor are they saying that they games that they play are theirs as well. a lot of these systems dont play exclusivly nintendo games either, they play sega as well. basically its an "adapter" type of system so to speak. much like the company that makes afterglow wii remotes and ps3 controllers. yes it has to do with that companys particular system but said controller isnt an offical liscensed product of that system.

3DS FC: 2664-2334-5960
http://passid.ca/Shock
http://backloggery.com/shock_tart

Chrono_Cross

LordTendoboy wrote:

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

They are all unlicensed, and as you can see, a few of them even copied the exact design of the SNES controller.

Illegal.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

TheKingOfTown

@tendoboy1984
It's off-topic, but you still haven't added me on the 3DS yet. Sorry to disrupt the thread, it's just bothering me.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

LordTendoboy

AtomicWaffles wrote:

@tendoboy1984
It's off-topic, but you still haven't added me on the 3DS yet. Sorry to disrupt the thread, it's just bothering me.

I thought you didn't want to be my 3DS friend, considering we disagree about a few things.

And my 3DS is at Nintendo's repair center again.

I added you on PSN though.

[...

LordTendoboy

@NintendoFan_27

Yep, they sent me a replacement system that had the same loose L button. And the side of the hinge was loose, it pressed down slightly when the system was closed.

[...

theblackdragon

haven't the patents expired for the SNES and prior? pretty sure if the patent on something has expired, cloning it is legal. you'd still want to go with the genuine article if possible, though.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

JGMR

Talking about clones. I remember that there were NES look-a-like consoles which played Super Mario 3 clones and such during the early nineties. There was even a very small computer store here in the neighborhood selling em.

A side note : I think that Nintendo should re-issue their own Super Nintendo.

With kind regards,

JGMR

TheKingOfTown

LordTendoboy wrote:

AtomicWaffles wrote:

@tendoboy1984

I thought you didn't want to be my 3DS friend, considering we disagree about a few things.

And my 3DS is at Nintendo's repair center again.

I added you on PSN though.

Nothing strong enough to not be friends though.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Tasuki

If the patents are up its fair game thats how these clone systems can be manufactured. As for a clone system of the PS1 why buy a clone system when you can still buy a PS2 brand new to play PS games on.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

LordTendoboy

Tasuki wrote:

If the patents are up its fair game thats how these clone systems can be manufactured. As for a clone system of the PS1 why buy a clone system when you can still buy a PS2 brand new to play PS games on.

So Nintendo no longer owns the rights to the systems they created (NES and Super NES)? Does that mean they no longer own the rights to their old NES and Super NES games too?

If Nintendo really wanted to protect their creations, they'd renew the patents. They still own the rights to the brand names "NES" and "Super NES", so why wouldn't the actual hardware still be under their name?

[...

Tasuki

LordTendoboy wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

So Nintendo no longer owns the rights to the systems they created (NES and Super NES)? Does that mean they no longer own the rights to their old NES and Super NES games too?

If Nintendo really wanted to protect their creations, they'd renew the patents. They still own the rights to the brand names "NES" and "Super NES", so why wouldn't the actual hardware still be under their name?

They own the rights as long as they want to keep paying for them. For example Nintendo still owns the rights to Mario Kart and The Legend of Zelda otherwise they couldn't bring out new games to the franchise. Stuff like the NES and SNES use old technology which basically is obsolete now so it really doesnt make sense to spend the money on keeping the patents. The names NES and SNES on the other they still pay for the rights for obvious reasons but the technology they dont.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

LordTendoboy

Tasuki wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

They own the rights as long as they want to keep paying for them. For example Nintendo still owns the rights to Mario Kart and The Legend of Zelda otherwise they couldn't bring out new games to the franchise. Stuff like the NES and SNES use old technology which basically is obsolete now so it really doesnt make sense to spend the money on keeping the patents. The names NES and SNES on the other they still pay for the rights for obvious reasons but the technology they dont.

Oh ok.

Well, on the subject of retro collectors:
Are there people who collect old PC's and copies of Windows? Is Windows '95 considered a collector's item? LOL

[...

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.