General Discussion Forum

Topic: Are Brits just not very "political" people?

Showing 41 to 60 of 65

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

41. Posted:

JimJam707 wrote:

Well, I'm British.
And Politics Are BORING.

You find grammar boring as well by the looks of it. It is pretty boring though, you're right. You don't get the likes of Disraeli or Gladstone these days.

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Magi

42. Posted:

I secretly think it's because all those brits spend time "queing" instead of just "standing in line" like the rest of us. Oh and don't get me started on "birds"...

:)

Edited on by Magi

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JimJam707

43. Posted:

CowLaunch wrote:

JimJam707 wrote:

Well, I'm British.
And Politics Are BORING.

You find grammar boring as well by the looks of it. It is pretty boring though, you're right. You don't get the likes of Disraeli or Gladstone these days.

Yep.
I concur. Politics are depressing as well as boring.

Signature? Here? No way!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

44. Posted:

JimJam707 wrote:

CowLaunch wrote:

JimJam707 wrote:

Well, I'm British.
And Politics Are BORING.

You find grammar boring as well by the looks of it. It is pretty boring though, you're right. You don't get the likes of Disraeli or Gladstone these days.

Yep.
I concur. Politics are depressing as well as boring.

Like it.

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grenworthshero

45. Posted:

Magi wrote:

I secretly think it's because all those brits spend time "queing" instead of just "standing in line" like the rest of us. Oh and don't get me started on "birds"...

:)

Hahaha! Nice.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
***
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

46. Posted:

here in Australia we discuss Australian and US politics because US politics often involve us. Are we still at war? Will the global markets fix themselves anytime soon? how strong is our dollar against the US dollar? Oh you guys are working out Healthcare now? another school shooting, will the US change gun laws this time? (no) our PM just visited the US President, what did he say? Al Gore is doing a talk on Climate Change here soon, lets listen! Is John Howard still sleeping over at Bush's house? etc, etc

Our news sometimes moves over to the UK but its always. Crap we lost the Ashes! When is the next Ashes? Can we win the next Ashes? That Australian soccer player is being payed how much?.... our whole political system is BOUND to the UK and yet we don't ever bother talking about UK politics at all.

..... * wonders why we still aren't a republic *

so yeah, I hope that answers the original question. US politics effects all of us and it also plays out like a holywood soap sometimes. UK politics doesn't effect us and is boring.
:P

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JimJam707

47. Posted:

CowLaunch wrote:

JimJam707 wrote:

CowLaunch wrote:

JimJam707 wrote:

Well, I'm British.
And Politics Are BORING.

You find grammar boring as well by the looks of it. It is pretty boring though, you're right. You don't get the likes of Disraeli or Gladstone these days.

Yep.
I concur. Politics are depressing as well as boring.

Like it.

What part do you like?

Signature? Here? No way!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grenworthshero

48. Posted:

skywake wrote:

...another school shooting, will the US change gun laws this time? (no)

That's never going to happen. The US is just a completely different country. We love our guns. Parents need to just learn to be more responsible. Besides, it's not a problem with the guns, it's a problem with humanity. There's a reason UK has the highest stab victim rate; they don't have guns. People will find a way to kill each other.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
***
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MoogleMuffins

49. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

skywake wrote:

...another school shooting, will the US change gun laws this time? (no)

That's never going to happen. The US is just a completely different country. We love our guns. Parents need to just learn to be more responsible. Besides, it's not a problem with the guns, it's a problem with humanity. There's a reason UK has the highest stab victim rate; they don't have guns. People will find a way to kill each other.

Thats true, a kid from my brothers school just got stabbed yesterday in Blaze Park a street a few blocks away from my house. Even if the UK didn't even have knives, people would just find something else.

Currently playing: FF Curtain Call, FFV, FFX (HD).

XBL: Sgt Lampshade PSN: MoogleMuffins

3DS Friend Code: 1332-7818-1153 | Nintendo Network ID: MoogleMuffins

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JoeDiddley

50. Posted:

I've got a Masters Degree in Political Theory. I live in England but studied in Wales.
On this site I'd rather relax & talk about video games. If I see a poltical discussion thread I tend to avoid it.

My Backloggery -
3DS: 5327 0913 7260

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tonyp415

51. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

fairly often I see threads about United States politics in some way or other, but I never see anything about the UKs political system in any form. Do you chaps just not talk about politics?

as I hear from my Spanish teacher MOST Spanish speaking countries would say they are The one that believes in dictator shop
thats what I know about that one and plus most people don't have political party's I think anyway

Only a fool wouldn't strategize before a fight MUA HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ramandus

52. Posted:

Okay, I have a weird question. I know you Britons don't have Oreos (lol), but are these common American words NOT USED in England?

Faucets, popsicles, sidewalks, diapers

I only ask because those terms will be changed for the English Scribblenauts (or so I've read).

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Wii: 8703 7486 8875 3789
I love PWN3NG NintendoLife members on Tatsunoko :-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Odnetnin

53. Posted:

Diapers?
PWNSOME.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MoogleMuffins

54. Posted:

Ramandus wrote:

Okay, I have a weird question. I know you Britons don't have Oreos (lol), but are these common American words NOT USED in England?

Faucets, popsicles, sidewalks, diapers

I only ask because those terms will be changed for the English Scribblenauts (or so I've read).

To answer your question: No (We call them Taps), No (Ice lollys), Yes and No (Nappys).

Currently playing: FF Curtain Call, FFV, FFX (HD).

XBL: Sgt Lampshade PSN: MoogleMuffins

3DS Friend Code: 1332-7818-1153 | Nintendo Network ID: MoogleMuffins

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ristar42

55. Posted:

I'd say some people feel a little dubious discussing politics as don't want to get into to heated a debate on a games forum.
I do discuss party politics, ideology and all that, but to recall that another thread about games and depression, I like to get away from that stuff on here. No offence to those who want to discuss the matters of the day though, why not!
@JoeDiddley - hey, I have a Masters too, and just realised I echoed your point!

Edited on by Ristar42

Ristar42

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stevie

56. Posted:

Completly off topic but i would like to know, why is the Queen of England, Elizabeth II still the head of state in Canada and Australia & has her head on your/their money?

I have looked for the answer on the interweb + cannot find it ?????????

This is good

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

57. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

skywake wrote:

...another school shooting, will the US change gun laws this time? (no)

That's never going to happen. The US is just a completely different country. We love our guns. Parents need to just learn to be more responsible. Besides, it's not a problem with the guns, it's a problem with humanity. There's a reason UK has the highest stab victim rate; they don't have guns. People will find a way to kill each other.

I don't think anyone is going to argue this because it always turns into an all out brawl. But the truth remains: whenever shit like that happens in the US our news is always jumping on it, shaking their heads and asking "what will it take for the US to change their gun laws?". Instead you guys always seem to bring out laws for more guns which to the outside world, you must admit, looks absolutely bananas and makes for a good headline.

I agree that "people kill people" and "people can kill people without guns" but you must admit that guns make it a heap easier

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

58. Posted:

__Stevie wrote:

Completly off topic but i would like to know, why is the Queen of England, Elizabeth II still the head of state in Canada and Australia & has her head on your/their money?

I have looked for the answer on the interweb + cannot find it ?????????

Are you serious?

Ok. Well, Britain had a empire a while back. Canada & Australia were part of that empire. For much of that time Canada & Australia had dominion status, which means that they had the Queen as head of state, paid a certain amount of revenue to the UK government, contributed to the British army etc. but largely ruled themselves. Now they completely rule themselves, but Canada is still very pro monarchy & Australia is about 50/50 on the issue, so they've decided to keep it for now at least.

Hope that is sufficient, can explain further if need be.

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stevie

59. Posted:

@Cowlaunch - Answer...Deadly - Please don't take me for a idiot but i honestly did not know the answer to this question, i am already aware of most of what you said, but as you stated they are now completely independent and rule themselves, so why would they still have a different countries, queens head on their coin?

I didn't ask this question to be in any way offending/idiotic etc. The question crossed my mind, i searched the internet, couldn't find a answer so asked here where there are people from around the world who may have a better knowledge than myself on this particular subject.

This is good

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

60. Posted:

__Stevie wrote:

@Cowlaunch - Answer...Deadly - Please don't take me for a idiot but i honestly did not know the answer to this question, i am already aware of most of what you said, but as you stated they are now completely independent and rule themselves, so why would they still have a different countries, queens head on their coin?

I didn't ask this question to be in any way offending/idiotic etc. The question crossed my mind, i searched the internet, couldn't find a answer so asked here where there are people from around the world who may have a better knowledge than myself on this particular subject.

I wasn't insulting you Stevie, I genuinely didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not. I found it surprising that the internet lacked the information, not yourself.

Technically Canada & Australia aren't independent, they are still part of the British empire, in the same way that 'technically' the Queen is still the ruler of the UK. Over a period of years they gained greater autonomy until now where they rule themselves completely. Scotland has it's own parliament & makes most of it's own decisions but the UK still has control over defensive matters. This is a similar position to where Canada & Australia were.

Some reasons are sentimental, Britain learnt her lesson after losing the thirteen colonies & treated Canada with greater respect. Canada contributed to the British war efforts greatly in WW1 & 2. Australia is more divided however. But a monarchy is a rare thing for a country to have these days & it seems people are loathed to get rid of it on a whim.

Hope that helps some way, if you want any more explanation, let me know.

Edited on by CowLaunch

CowLaunch