Forums

Topic: The All-Encompassing E3 2014 Thread

Posts 61 to 80 of 2,525

UGXwolf

No you guys are assuming. It's not like I'm saying there won't be one. I'm just getting severely annoyed by all the speculation turning into assumption and them bring called logic.

Stage presence doesn't negate online and local presence, and E3 is more than just the press conferences. Beyond that, from my understanding of the English language, there is nothing in that sentence that directly negates a 2014 E3 press conference. Only the 2013 press conference.

Reasonable assumptions are reasonable, yes, but acting like those reasonable assumptions are the God-given truth is silly and it irks me to see the frequency with which it happens.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

shingi_70

Nintendo already lost E3.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Jazzer94

@UGXwolf Provide us with some solid evidence that Nintendo will have press conferences on stage (which you have failed to do so far) then maybe your point will actually have some weight behind it.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

MikeLove

Last year, everyone (journalists, media, fans, etc) viewed no E3 conference by Nintendo as them bending over and admitting that they couldn't compete with Xbox or Sony, and they weren't even going to try. That feeling still exists in the industry.

So how is skipping doing one again (which appears to be the case) going to benefit them this year?

It's all about optics. It's like how the Oscars only broadcasts the 'important' awards on TV (Sony/Xbox) while a bunch of technical and secondary awards (Nintendo) are done the night before with a tiny audience. Those other awards might be important too, but because they aren't deemed good enough to be handed out on TV, people assume they are crap.

MikeLove

CaviarMeths

It's not surprising at all that the focus is on Smash. Smash is their huge holiday release. E3 is the single biggest holiday season advertisement for video games. Nintendo is putting their chips on Smash being THE system seller this Christmas. There will be other announcements of course, but hypehypehypepuppiesarecute.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

MAN1AC

shingi_70 wrote:

Nintendo already lost E3.

They wouldn't have enough games to "win" E3 regardless due to their 3rd party situation. The Direct just confirms what everyone already knew.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

MuchoMochi

All I know is this the day before my 21st birthday, so Nintendo better give me a damn good reason to party

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

Blast

shingi_70 wrote:

Nintendo already lost E3.

And the award for biggest OVERREACTION goes to....................................... YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fake applause

Let's wait until E3 actually happens to see who won and lost, okay? SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Bolt_Strike

KennyPowers wrote:

Last year, everyone (journalists, media, fans, etc) viewed no E3 conference by Nintendo as them bending over and admitting that they couldn't compete with Xbox or Sony, and they weren't even going to try. That feeling still exists in the industry.

So how is skipping doing one again (which appears to be the case) going to benefit them this year?

It's all about optics. It's like how the Oscars only broadcasts the 'important' awards on TV (Sony/Xbox) while a bunch of technical and secondary awards (Nintendo) are done the night before with a tiny audience. Those other awards might be important too, but because they aren't deemed good enough to be handed out on TV, people assume they are crap.

Right on the money here. The big deal about having a presentation is being able to market themselves effectively to a larger audience, and Nintendo desperately needs that right now. Sticking with a livestream that only hardcore Nintendo fans would really be interested in watching doesn't really do that, it pretty much secures their status as a niche developer that the rest of the industry doesn't take seriously.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf

@Jazzer94 You missed the point entirely. Let me say it, again. I'm not saying, BY ANY MEANS, that there will be a conference. I'm even admitting right now that it does seem to be unlikely, if not at least not on their mind.

People tend to forget that what's unlikely isn't always everything that's possible, and something that isn't likely can still happen.

Don't forget what's improbable isn't always impossible. That's the biggest misconception of them all.

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

2Sang

shingi_70 wrote:

Nintendo already lost E3.

While likely unfortunately, it's not true yet. I still have some faith that Iwata has something big planned. If not, he's as good as gone.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Bolt_Strike wrote:

KennyPowers wrote:

Last year, everyone (journalists, media, fans, etc) viewed no E3 conference by Nintendo as them bending over and admitting that they couldn't compete with Xbox or Sony, and they weren't even going to try. That feeling still exists in the industry.

So how is skipping doing one again (which appears to be the case) going to benefit them this year?

It's all about optics. It's like how the Oscars only broadcasts the 'important' awards on TV (Sony/Xbox) while a bunch of technical and secondary awards (Nintendo) are done the night before with a tiny audience. Those other awards might be important too, but because they aren't deemed good enough to be handed out on TV, people assume they are crap.

Right on the money here. The big deal about having a presentation is being able to market themselves effectively to a larger audience, and Nintendo desperately needs that right now. Sticking with a livestream that only hardcore Nintendo fans would really be interested in watching doesn't really do that, it pretty much secures their status as a niche developer that the rest of the industry doesn't take seriously.

Who is this magical audience that watches the conferences and doesn't go to gaming sites?

Are they the same ones that were gonna buy a next gen console at launch for reasons other than gaming?

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

KennyPowers wrote:

Last year, everyone (journalists, media, fans, etc) viewed no E3 conference by Nintendo as them bending over and admitting that they couldn't compete with Xbox or Sony, and they weren't even going to try. That feeling still exists in the industry.

So how is skipping doing one again (which appears to be the case) going to benefit them this year?

It's all about optics. It's like how the Oscars only broadcasts the 'important' awards on TV (Sony/Xbox) while a bunch of technical and secondary awards (Nintendo) are done the night before with a tiny audience. Those other awards might be important too, but because they aren't deemed good enough to be handed out on TV, people assume they are crap.

Right on the money here. The big deal about having a presentation is being able to market themselves effectively to a larger audience, and Nintendo desperately needs that right now. Sticking with a livestream that only hardcore Nintendo fans would really be interested in watching doesn't really do that, it pretty much secures their status as a niche developer that the rest of the industry doesn't take seriously.

Who is this magical audience that watches the conferences and doesn't go to gaming sites?

Are they the same ones that were gonna buy a next gen console at launch for reasons other than gaming?

I didn't say they don't go to gaming sites, they don't go to Nintendo sites.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Jazzer94

@UGXwolf I understood your point but I'm wondering more so if there is any evidence that points to Nintendo having a press conferences on stage as surely this would have been included in the information released today which it clearly wasn't.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

kkslider5552000

Bolt_Strike wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

KennyPowers wrote:

Last year, everyone (journalists, media, fans, etc) viewed no E3 conference by Nintendo as them bending over and admitting that they couldn't compete with Xbox or Sony, and they weren't even going to try. That feeling still exists in the industry.

So how is skipping doing one again (which appears to be the case) going to benefit them this year?

It's all about optics. It's like how the Oscars only broadcasts the 'important' awards on TV (Sony/Xbox) while a bunch of technical and secondary awards (Nintendo) are done the night before with a tiny audience. Those other awards might be important too, but because they aren't deemed good enough to be handed out on TV, people assume they are crap.

Right on the money here. The big deal about having a presentation is being able to market themselves effectively to a larger audience, and Nintendo desperately needs that right now. Sticking with a livestream that only hardcore Nintendo fans would really be interested in watching doesn't really do that, it pretty much secures their status as a niche developer that the rest of the industry doesn't take seriously.

Who is this magical audience that watches the conferences and doesn't go to gaming sites?

Are they the same ones that were gonna buy a next gen console at launch for reasons other than gaming?

I didn't say they don't go to gaming sites, they don't go to Nintendo sites.

but gaming sites already bring up Nintendo

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

UGXwolf

2Sang wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Nintendo already lost E3.

While likely unfortunately, it's not true yet. I still have some faith that Iwata has something big planned. If not, he's as good as gone.

Somehow I really doubt that Iwata is going to get fired, if E3 doesn't match your expectations. Especially if you're seriously not considering what we already know to be "something big."

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

MikeLove

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

KennyPowers wrote:

Last year, everyone (journalists, media, fans, etc) viewed no E3 conference by Nintendo as them bending over and admitting that they couldn't compete with Xbox or Sony, and they weren't even going to try. That feeling still exists in the industry.

So how is skipping doing one again (which appears to be the case) going to benefit them this year?

It's all about optics. It's like how the Oscars only broadcasts the 'important' awards on TV (Sony/Xbox) while a bunch of technical and secondary awards (Nintendo) are done the night before with a tiny audience. Those other awards might be important too, but because they aren't deemed good enough to be handed out on TV, people assume they are crap.

Right on the money here. The big deal about having a presentation is being able to market themselves effectively to a larger audience, and Nintendo desperately needs that right now. Sticking with a livestream that only hardcore Nintendo fans would really be interested in watching doesn't really do that, it pretty much secures their status as a niche developer that the rest of the industry doesn't take seriously.

Who is this magical audience that watches the conferences and doesn't go to gaming sites?

Are they the same ones that were gonna buy a next gen console at launch for reasons other than gaming?

It's the perception. By Nintendo not sharing the stage with the other guys, it makes them look weaker and not confident in their product. If you don't believe me, why don't you go back and read some of the articles or watch video commentaries from last year where game journalists said it was a huge mistake? And guess what? They were right. And Nintendo's E3 direct reveals were VERY underwhelming last year, which lead credence to the argument that they knew they couldn't compete with the other guys, so they avoided a conference. Now it looks like they feel the same way again.

On the other hand, if Nintendo did do a presentation and blew the other guys away with amazing software and brought the audience to their feet, the articles and videos following the conference would echo those feeling and create more positive vibes.

*And no, Apple is in no way comparable to Nintendo, so please don't bring up the argument 'but Apple has their own conferences and they get coverage!' because Nintendo isn't even in the same stratosphere as them.

Edited on by MikeLove

MikeLove

kkslider5552000

Maybe? But the big problem last year wasn't that it wasn't a conference. It was that it was ungodly boring and had terrible presentation. People don't like the conferences just because they are a conference, they like them for the excitement factor.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Jazzer94

This has been doing the rounds online source code from the Nintendo E3 page, could be more announced then we first thought though this should remain rumor for now.
Untitled

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

afro_insomniac

I love the direct presentations and feel they get right to the point with showing games/the meat of the presentation.

Gaming journalists feel shafted because they don't get first dibs on the news, so what?

Nintendo is getting news directly to those that want it the most (Nintendo fans) and eventually to the masses (via said shafted journalists).

afro_insomniac

Top

Sorry, this topic has been locked.