Forums

Topic: The All-Encompassing E3 2014 Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 2,161

OmegaMetroid93

Pewdiepie would NOT be able to commentate on a Smash Bros Tournament. They need to get people who know what they're talking about.
Just take some of the commentators off of EVO and they should be set.

Speaking of the Smash Tournament... I'm REALLY looking forward to that.
I hope they get some really good players on there. Players like Ken, KoreanDJ, Armada, Mew2King.. Especially Armada. His Pit is SICK.

Edited on by OmegaMetroid93

OmegaMetroid93

UGXwolf

CanisWolfred wrote:

@UGXwolf - I get what you're saying, but seriously, saying PewDiePie should commentate on a Smash Bros. Tournament is like saying Seth McFarlane should host the Oscars. You need someone who knows the technicals. I think it's obvious Nintendo's own people will be at least one of the commentators, though I think there's potential to get a high level player from the community (though I'm not sure who...Ken Hoang maybe? Though he's more likely to be a competitor...).

An entirely valid point. The question is who Nintendo wants to bring in. The crowd that would be brought in by PewDiePie, Tobuscus, or Smosh Games wouldn't really be 100% concerned with a spot-on, all-encompassing, in-depth commentary on the gameplay and the tricks and techniques. They'd be watching more for the reaction, making the game a secondary to them. This means that just making the game look really cool would be the goal, at that point. On the other hand, if this is entirely for the core competitive audience, having people FROM the core competitive audience would be a million times better than any celebrity guest. Then the focus would be on showing the FGC that Smash 4 can be played as a serious game.

My only point is that this approach only serves to make the serious more niche than every before. The FGC isn't even close to the majority of the gaming community, and in fact, catering to them tends to alienate the rest of the gaming install base altogether. (Not always, but you get what I mean.)

The alternative to this is to have YouTubers pulled in in some other way. The bottom line is that Nintendo really needs mass appeal and the only way to get that, at this point, is through a fast medium that can get celebrity endorsements out fast. I'm not saying bribe YouTubers. I'm just saying Nintendo needs to show the Innovators and early adopters that they're on their side and not doing the same kinda stuff Microsoft and Sony have been up to that gets YouTube gamers so riled up.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

shingi_70

I'm looking past the next few weeks and the Wii u release line up is terrible. I'm not going to reccomend the system based off of one game with nothing else to supplment it. (Though I have before).

Having Nintendo games are great but what about sports games or the other 95% of the market.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

LzWinky

Nintendo is only 5% of the market? I don't need to do the math to know that is wrong...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

UGXwolf wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@UGXwolf - I get what you're saying, but seriously, saying PewDiePie should commentate on a Smash Bros. Tournament is like saying Seth McFarlane should host the Oscars. You need someone who knows the technicals. I think it's obvious Nintendo's own people will be at least one of the commentators, though I think there's potential to get a high level player from the community (though I'm not sure who...Ken Hoang maybe? Though he's more likely to be a competitor...).

An entirely valid point. The question is who Nintendo wants to bring in. The crowd that would be brought in by PewDiePie, Tobuscus, or Smosh Games wouldn't really be 100% concerned with a spot-on, all-encompassing, in-depth commentary on the gameplay and the tricks and techniques. They'd be watching more for the reaction, making the game a secondary to them. This means that just making the game look really cool would be the goal, at that point. On the other hand, if this is entirely for the core competitive audience, having people FROM the core competitive audience would be a million times better than any celebrity guest. Then the focus would be on showing the FGC that Smash 4 can be played as a serious game.

My only point is that this approach only serves to make the serious more niche than every before. The FGC isn't even close to the majority of the gaming community, and in fact, catering to them tends to alienate the rest of the gaming install base altogether. (Not always, but you get what I mean.)

The alternative to this is to have YouTubers pulled in in some other way. The bottom line is that Nintendo really needs mass appeal and the only way to get that, at this point, is through a fast medium that can get celebrity endorsements out fast. I'm not saying bribe YouTubers. I'm just saying Nintendo needs to show the Innovators and early adopters that they're on their side and not doing the same kinda stuff Microsoft and Sony have been up to that gets YouTube gamers so riled up.

...but it's a tournament. I know you're saying it'd be good for publicity, but you don't let Bill Nye commentate on a Baseball game telling people about the centrifugal force of a Baseball Bat just to get nerds to watch Baseball. You'll just alienate the people these type of events are supposed to be for, while catering to an audience who probably wouldn't care about such events in the first place.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

UGXwolf

shingi_70 wrote:

I'm looking past the next few weeks and the Wii u release line up is terrible. I'm not going to reccomend the system based off of one game with nothing else to supplment it. (Though I have before).

Having Nintendo games are great but what about sports games or the other 95% of the market.

Mind you, I understand that not everyone is all about PLATFORMERS PLATFORMERS PLATFORMERS like I am, but the eShop has variety to spare. And the games are coming. They'd come faster, if more people would buy the system. And as I said, so far, there's tons of quality titles on the system. Moreso than there are on the PS4 and Xbox One. (Besides, consoles should be a secondary to PC, at this point, anyways. You want variety? You want hardware? You want graphics and the best deals around? PC gaming, hands down, even though I despise keyboard controls, if I want a game that's not Nintendo, PC is the first place I'll ever go to.)

Now, I'll concede that since you work at a gaming store (or at least I assumed that from what you said), you probably understand the sales end of the market better than I do. As that's the case, you carry more weight, but don't think for a second that the Wii U's problems are entirely based on the hardware. Poor publicity is easily the biggest plague to the system.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

...but it's a tournament. I know you're saying it'd be good for publicity, but you don't let Bill Nye commentate on a Baseball game telling people about the centrifugal force of a Baseball Bat just to get nerds to watch Baseball. You'll just alienate the people these type of events are supposed to be for, while catering to an audience who probably wouldn't care about such events in the first place.

Just to add, I wouldn't mind seeing a Youtuber comentate, I just don't think PewDiePie is the right answer. Find someone who knows a lot about Smash Bros. with the viewership on level with PewDiePie and I'd be right there with you, but tournaments in general are aimed at a certain kind of audience. Yes, this one is also there to just show off the game, but I think Nintendo should at least pretend it's there as a genuine competition.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

Most fans who want Smash would want to watch anyway. I just don't see how PewDiePie is gonna make it any better...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

UGXwolf

@CanisWolfred But no one has that kind of viewership or is even close. A BAD video for PewDiePie drags in at least 2 million views. A good one topping out around 10-15 million. I'm not saying there aren't more suited YouTubers, but none that would draw the amount of attention Pewdie would.

@Unca_Lz By getting people to watch that may be interested but wouldn't have known about it, before. There's no way we're anywhere near the full potential fanbase of Smash Bros.

OmegaMetroid93

I think most of his fans would watch it because he's there and not care about the actual game. No to mention the live stream chat would be an absolute MESS if that happened. More so than it already is.

OmegaMetroid93

UGXwolf

OmegaMetroid93 wrote:

I think most of his fans would watch it because he's there and not care about the actual game. No to mention the live stream chat would be an absolute MESS if that happened. More so than it already is.

If you actually read, you'd see I pointed that out, already. That said, people pick things up, regardless of whether or not they're paying attention. If Nintendo does everything in their power to make the tournament look amazing, they're bound to get a lot of people that weren't interested, before. And the live stream chat is already a mess. Why would making it more of a mess even be a problem? There's no difference, since you're not gonna read it, anyways.

OmegaMetroid93

Yeah, I'll concur that the stream chat thing was a dumb argument. It makes no difference.
I just mean that it would feel like it's more about him than Smash if he were there. And that's not what fans of Smash want.
We're all really excited for this tournament and having someone as a commentator who doesn't know what he's watching and is only sitting there for the sake of sitting there would make the experience worse for all of us. OR maybe I'm just completely off base and that wouldn't matter either.
I dunno.

OmegaMetroid93

DefHalan

Why doesn't Nintendo just get Morgan Freeman to be a commentator? I think that would grab a lot of people's attention. lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Dreamz

DefHalan wrote:

Why doesn't Nintendo just get Morgan Freeman to be a commentator? I think that would grab a lot of people's attention. lol

This would be awesome.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

UGXwolf

Dreamz wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

This would be awesome.

shingi_70

With Mario Tennis and Golf on the 3DS, I'm hoping we get a Baseball or strikers for the Wii U.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

OmegaMetroid93

A new strikers would be really exciting for me. I loved the one on Wii.

OmegaMetroid93

UGXwolf

shingi_70 wrote:

With Mario Tennis and Golf on the 3DS, I'm hoping we get a Baseball or strikers for the Wii U.

All of the above. Yes.

Red_XIII

shingi_70 wrote:

Imagine Mario baseball playing like the wii u baseball demo...

Red_XIII

cookiex

Mario Strikers U would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Anyone who says otherwise can go to hell.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.