Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 8,781 to 8,800 of 12,340

Arianabtd

I just finished marathoning Kamisama kiss (dub ver.)
The anime I swore I would never watch because of how cheesy I heard it was (I'm a sucker for cheesy Shoujo but for some reason I never wanted to watch this one) .

...Excuse me while I go cry into my pillow because I got too emotionally invested in all the characters (And by all the characters I just mean Tomoe) and I can't believe it's already over >_<.

-Idolmasterrrrrr-
Sir Zacharias Barnham is my new husband.
Konata -> Arianabtd

Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter:

Magikarp3

@TheKingOfTown I know about that :/

If I'm on the edge of dropping a show, I tend to look through the Crunchyroll episode descriptions to see what the overall plot structure is like. I'm still watching though, because I have no idea what to transition to after I drop haha

Would anyone recommend Nagi No Asukara? I hear that the main characters are annoying (because they're kids and all) but it's by PA Works who I now regard as the masters of redeeming annoying characters. Also that water animation is glorious

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

jump

I've been out of the loop with anime for awhile, could someone recommend some good shows from the last few years please? I've not seen much since Code Geass, Gurren Lagann and Death Note.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

shingi_70

@ArronisheTge most recent big anime from the last few years were Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, Kill LA Kill, and Space Dandy. As far as next big thing I'd try those.

As for other Anime Princess Jellyfish, Squid Girl, and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are all pretty good despite not being your typical Shonen series.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

GuSolarFlare

@arronishere I'd recommend a lot but my favorite action ones from recent years are Jojo's Bizarre Adventures(parts one and two, ignore the Stardust Cruzaders, part 3, for now because it's an old anime that part will have a new adaptation this year. Attack on Titan is a little overrated but not much as it is really good. Kill la Kill is awesome and Space Dandy is too funny and cool. oh and Gatchaman Crowds some people dislike it but it's on of my favorites!
and Hunter x Hunter(the new anime that's still airing) is unbeatable!!!

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

V8_Ninja

Umm...

...So, I've been watching some anime;

• Sakura Trick (Episode 3): Honestly, I don't know what to say. I feel like this whole show is just pandering, but for some reason I'm compelled to watch it. I mean, it's not pandering in the traditional anime sense of "Let's show boobies and panties!", but rather the normal "Let's give the audience exactly what they want without much effort otherwise" way. I don't think the show is awful, but I don't get a sense that the production studio had much pride in making this either.
  • Magical Warfare (Episode 2): I decided to watch the second episode of this Winter season's punching bag and, once again, I found it to be just stupid. There's nothing redeeming here except for some slightly good animation. Also, the plot is Superhero School-based. WHO NEEDS ORIGINALITY, RIGHT GUYS?!?!
  • Witch Craft Works (Episode 3): After watching a few more episodes, I've come to realize that this show is not very good. And yet, I still really want to watch it. Other than individual elements of the first episode and maybe the humor of the show, I can't pinpoint a single thing that rises above being acceptable. The animation is alright, the characters range from slightly sub-par to slightly enjoyable, and the sound is barely noticeable baring the ending theme that is both discomforting and pretty enjoyable. I don't know why I want to watch this show, maybe it's that Winter is degrading my my overall taste?
  • Hamatora (Episode 4): I've been hearing some people say that they're unhappy with this show, but I'm not there yet. So far all I've been seeing is an entertaining action-mystery that happens to be revealing itself in a fast pace and maybe tries a bit too much with the jokes. I'm excited for more and that opening is always a pleasure to watch.
  • Samurai Flamenco (Episode14): While I really liked Masayoshi's decision and the first of the two big twists of this episode, we're still running through trope after trope. I hope that this series can pull itself back together and either go back to the pre-episode 7 setup or do something else that acts in the same vein.
  • Seki-kun (Episode 4): Yep, it's still pretty enjoyable. I mean, there's not a whole lot to say, but I'm still digging this.
  • Nagunaga The Fool (Episode 4): Yeah, this is entertaining. I mean, having knowledge about the various people must certainly provide some additional enjoyment, but I'm happy with the show despite not knowing a thing about anyone or anything. I'll admit, this ain't no masterpiece, but for the weird premise I'm having some fun.
  • Log Horizon (Episode 17): This show is still better than Sword Art Online and I'm loving it. The two plot branches are starting to come together and I'm extremely intrigued as to what is happening and what will be happening.

Also, speaking of Sword Art Online; Yes, I'm working my way to watching Extra Edition. Don't worry 'bout it.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

GuSolarFlare

@V8_Ninja you'll have a huge surprise with Flamenco!!!

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

jump

GuSilverFlame wrote:

@arronishere I'd recommend a lot but my favorite action ones from recent years are Jojo's Bizarre Adventures(parts one and two, ignore the Stardust Cruzaders, part 3, for now because it's an old anime that part will have a new adaptation this year. Attack on Titan is a little overrated but not much as it is really good. Kill la Kill is awesome and Space Dandy is too funny and cool. oh and Gatchaman Crowds some people dislike it but it's on of my favorites!
and Hunter x Hunter(the new anime that's still airing) is unbeatable!!!

Cheers, Kill la Kill caught my eye already so I will check that out and I have a look at the others.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Spanjard

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Does that series have anything to do with the music style Flamenco? Japanese come with such random names lol.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

kkslider5552000

the main new anime I've seen that I'd highly recommend would probably be Watamote, and there's some weird factors into what you will or won't get out of that series that would be spoilers. I guess I'd recommend it if you like Lucky Star?

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

GuSolarFlare

@Spanjard">@Spanjard wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Does that series have anything to do with the music style Flamenco? Japanese come with such random names lol.

I think I remember a really short part in one episode that explained why it's Samurai Flamenco, other than that there's nothing about Flamenco music so far

my Backloggery

V8_Ninja

So here's the second part of my anime update;

• Nisekoi (Episode 3): Like I've said before, I'm not the biggest fan of this series. That's partly because of the subject matter, but more and more I'm realizing that Shaft might be the bigger problem. That production studio directs and animates their shows in such an experimental and fast-paced way that I honestly can't care about anything that might be going on. I'm hesitant to call it bad direction, but I honestly can't care for any of it. I'm thinking of dropping this show if I can't stand that directorial style any longer.
  • World Conquest Zvevda Plot (Episode 4): This could have easily been the stupidest anime of the Winter 2014 season. Right now, I consider it to be one of the best series and the one with the most potential. Not only are we getting solid character development, but the comedy is hardy and the strangeness of the show only adds to the intrigue. I can't wait to see more.
  • Nobunagun (Episode 4): Once again, this series uses its stupidity to make something that is awesome. I also love how the writing balances the main character being a somewhat clumsy dimwit and an occasionally psychotic baddonkey. Out of all of the new series of the season, this is by far the best action-based show. Yeah, it won't win any academy awards, but it's fun and sometimes that is all that's important.
  • Log Horizon (Episode 18): Once again, I'm very happy. I'm just super-impressed with how the show handles action, comedy, and serious talking. It all blends so well to make a great series.
  • Samurai Flamenco (Episode 15): It seems that @GuSilverFlame was right; there's a major upset and now it seems that we're back to the beginning...kinda. All of those people who hypothesized that Samurai Flamenco would have a third arc based on how rapidly ludicrous the show got were right.
  • Kill la Kill (Episode 17): Even after 16 episodes this series is still finding ways to make me excited, shocked, and amazed. Studio Trigger just has it when it comes to creating an engaging action series and I'm absolutely pumped to see more.

Edited on by TheLZdragon

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

RR529

@arronishere, I second the mentions for Sword Art Online & Space Dandy, since I've found both to be enjoyable.

I'd also recommend Deadman Wonderland, Soul Eater, and InuYasha: the Final Act (if you've seen the original series).

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

CanisWolfred

I'm more or less caught up with One Piece now. Now I have to wait about a year for the next arc to finish. I don't know what to do with my life until then...

But wow, what a show. This New World portion is turning out to be a blast. They're working harder to make the arcs flow into eachother more instead of feeling too standalone, and Punk Hazard seemed to set up a lot of points that will hopefully be settled in Dressrosa. My only complaint is that the fights feel a bit weak, but I can understand why, and it's gradually getting better in that regard.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

shingi_70

I like how how desslok becomes more complex of a Villian once you realize he's conquering planets is to find a suitable planet for Gamelion and Inscandar. He's not as mustashe twirling ad he appeared to be in the beggining of the season , and I like that hr has begruding respect for the Star Force despite seeing them as Savages.

I like the art change in Insandar and around Starsha. I kind of wish we had a similar effect around Gamelon and Deslok.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

GuardianKing

CanisWolfred wrote:

TheKingOfTown wrote:

Am I the only one who didn't like Cowboy Bebop THAT much? Don't get me wrong, some episodes were fantastic, but I found myself bored on a good chunk of them. Maybe episodic anime just don't it for me.

But it's still good, yes? It's like Ocarina of Time of the anime world - not everyone thinks it's the best thing ever, but everyone agrees its at least "Good" or better. I've never seen anyone actively dislike it, no matter how much some people tried. Considering anime fans are some of the most inconsistant bunch there is, that's practically a miracle in and of itself.

I'm sorry, but I'm in the camp of those who dislike Cowboy Bebop (and so are a large handful of my friends).

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

GuardianKing wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

TheKingOfTown wrote:

Am I the only one who didn't like Cowboy Bebop THAT much? Don't get me wrong, some episodes were fantastic, but I found myself bored on a good chunk of them. Maybe episodic anime just don't it for me.

But it's still good, yes? It's like Ocarina of Time of the anime world - not everyone thinks it's the best thing ever, but everyone agrees its at least "Good" or better. I've never seen anyone actively dislike it, no matter how much some people tried. Considering anime fans are some of the most inconsistant bunch there is, that's practically a miracle in and of itself.

I'm sorry, but I'm in the camp of those who dislike Cowboy Bebop (and so are a large handful of my friends).

dislike and good are not mutually exclusive

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!

RR529

Yeah, my friend came over again tonight and we watched the Olympics, so I missed all the main Toonami stuff again this week.

Should still be able to catch InuYasha later though, so that's good.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

kkslider5552000

ok why not

-Space Dandy: After a strong couple of episodes this went back to the "this is funny, why am I meh about it?" formula, but even more so.
-Bleach: Watched a bit, but who cares at this point?
-Naruto Shippuden: I always liked the contrast between Naruto eating ramen and Gaara getting kidnapped. End of a decently fun little fight and the first major arc starts here. Thanks to a flashback, I've now seen footage of the first episode approximately 20,000 times.
-One Piece: I will say like mos long-running shonen, One Piece is usually better when watched beyond the 1 episode a week formula so this doesn't have quite the same impact it did on DVD, let alone the first time I watched this arc. But that Robin scene at the end is still great and going back to this it has shown Sanji a lot more emotionally invested than I tend to expect. Also, Zoro's mild reaction to finding out what happened amused me.
-Soul Eater: It's a shame after the first FMA anime that this falls a bit too much into rushed anime ending storytelling. Excalibur actually being important was a great surprise. But per usual, Arachne is so much less compelling than Medusa that it doesn't help...also is Black*Star dead?! WTF?
-Sword Art Online: I have a feeling I should hate this episode for being another rushed climax with non-sense happening for reasons and creepy uncomfortable villain but I would still like this anime against all odds if it had just kept with the actual SAO thing it had going. Now I don't care, just let this end and hope for the best with the new season.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic