General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 7,821 to 7,840 of 10,616

AuthorMessage

V8_Ninja

7,821. Posted:

In response to the whole "Sword Art Online" discussion; as I see it, there were two reasons for why SAO got as popular as it did. The first is that the three beginning episodes were very good. Those three episodes were a great introduction to a fantasy world that could change from breathtaking to threatening at any instant. The second reason for the show's popularity is that...well, it's a self-insert wish-fulfillment scenario. Main protagonist Kirito is a godly BA character in the game of SAO and he's easily able to romance a half-dozen of females all while having a non-personality.

As for my opinion on SAO? It's a frustrating show, especially considering those excellent first three episodes. The show clearly has the chops to be more than what it inevitably wants to be, which mostly is (for the first season) a collection of side stories attached to a clumsily handled romance. What makes this all more painful is that glimpses of greatness keep popping up in the show from time to time, emphasizing the insignificance of the actual stories at hand. Then the show jumps down a spectacularly deep pit when season 2 starts and it never considers climbing back out.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,822. Posted:

Well I'm currently watching Kill la Kill on Hulu, on an ad atm.

First few minutes....woooah. This is awesome and ridiculous...it's ridiculously awesome!!!

Anyone else watch ep 1 of Ace of the Diamond?

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage

CrimsonFire

7,823. Posted:

Just finished Pokemon Origins

Weirdness
Crimsonloggery
ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!!
Bring Digimon 3DS Game to Europe and America
CUCUMBERS

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

7,824. Posted:

Dang, looks like my viewings will be a bit scattered this seasons. Most of what I'll be watching will be on Crunchyroll, but there's also Kill La Kill on Daisuke, Tokyo Ravens and Blazblue on Funimation, and Coppelion on Viz/Hulu.

I did watch Coppelion since I got a break and only had to sit through one (long) commercial, which then allowed me to watch the rest commercial-free. I gotta say, it was much slower than I expected. I guess I can wait for the DVD for this one, it looks a lot ore plot-oriented than I was hoping for, but that could still be very much worth it, just not "must see" right now.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,825. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
You don't like plot oriented shows?

@Everyone
Opinions on Kill la Kill & Ace of the Diamond? Watched another few minutes, on an ad. (Really they aren't that tedious, I've used Hulu for quite a while, and animeultima) This anime has already made me laugh. And features awesome action. And so...gahh! It's awesome!!

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

7,826. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
You don't like plot oriented shows?

No, but I'm not in the mood for one right now. I just wanted to see something with a lot of cool action. Which I didn't get at all from Coppelion. It'll be good to watch later, when I'm in the mood for it, but not now.

Really, you'd be surprised how much expectations and moods can affect a person's enjoyment of what they're watching. I had the same problem with S.H.I.E.L.D. It might be a good show, but I wanted awesome comic action not...loads of plot and world building with the occasional one-liner. And of course I couldn't get into it. I'll probably stream it when I'm more in the mood, but until then it's on the shelf.

EDIT: Look at this trailer. Absolutely none of this was in the first episode. Do you get my disappointment now?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,827. Posted:

Got it.

Well I think Kill la Kill will deliver what you're looking for if you haven't started watching already.

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

7,828. Posted:

that's similar reasoning to why I'm less interested in getting into another action anime. I think I've been watching around 7 different action anime consistently in the past year and a half.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

RR529

7,829. Posted:

I'm not sure how accurate they are, but there's been a big rumor going around the AS boards that the English dub of Attack on Titan will be premiering on Toonami later this year (even before it's DVD release).

I'm taking it with a grain of salt, of course (I don't think a dub will even hit until next year), but it would be a neat surprise if there were any truth to it.

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

7,830. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

I'm not sure how accurate they are, but there's been a big rumor going around the AS boards that the English dub of Attack on Titan will be premiering on Toonami later this year (even before it's DVD release).

I'm taking it with a grain of salt, of course (I don't think a dub will even hit until next year), but it would be a neat surprise if there were any truth to it.

I doubt that will happen. It would be smart for everyone involved to strike while the iron is hot, but I doubt it.

I would bet money on it being on Toonami next year though.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,831. Posted:

Finished ep 1 of Kill la Kill.

Flashy action was flashy.

Baddonkey girl was baddonkey.

Fanservice suit was fanservicey.

Awesome show is awesome.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

7,832. Posted:

Also Strike The Blood looks awesome. Usually I try to avoid anything with Blood in the Title, or as a main use of power, but I might give it a shot regardless, see if I can handle it. Only other problem besides the...red stuff is that I think the guys who made the Coppelion Trailer did the Strike trailer, and now I'm weary of those kind of trailers.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,833. Posted:

What are "those kind" of trailers?

AuthorMessage

Marks

7,834. Posted:

I've watched Kill la Kill, Nagi no Asukara, Coppelion, Beyond the Boundary, Strike the Blood, Outbreak Company, Wanna be the Very Best, Meganebu, and Walkure Romanze. They're all okay, more or less. It's only the first episode after all.

I want to watch Yowamushi pedal and Pupa.

Say what now?
If you can do no good, at least do no harm. -Kurt Vonnegut
I'm not really active here anymore. So it goes.

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1418-8196

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,835. Posted:

Well I really love Kill la Kill's first ep, and quite liked Ace of the Diamond's. That's probably going to be pretty much it for me this season.

AuthorMessage

Suicune

7,836. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

Finished ep 1 of Kill la Kill.

Flashy action was flashy.

Baddonkey girl was baddonkey.

Fanservice suit was fanservicey.

Awesome show is awesome.

Action, baddonkeyness, and fanservice usually equals an anime i'd enjoy. Probably going to look into Kill La Kill.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

7,837. Posted:

Uuuugh, I still need to get Bakuman 20. The final volume! It's been out for like 2 months now. I feel so ashamed!

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,838. Posted:

Sigh

I wonder how often the admins browse through the forums and change occasional/minor profanities into ridiculousness.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

7,839. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

Sigh

I wonder how often the admins browse through the forums and change occasional/minor profanities into ridiculousness.

While I personally don't think bad@ needs to be censored, seeing bad donkey cracks me up so oh well.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

7,840. Posted:

Well yeah, I do admit baddonkyness is rather funny, but completely unnecessary. However from now on.....any time we intend to say Bad@ss, we shall say baddonkyness!!! Or at least I will and see who will follow. IDK