Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 7,601 to 7,620 of 12,455

Rocko52

Hmm, I might check it out. I've heard that it's quite dated though, and that it doesn't quite hit as high as it's predecessor, Gundam, or its apparent spiritual successor, Evangelion.

On a different note, Kill la Kill is in two days!!!

Made by the same folks who made Gurren Lagann!

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Reading: The Golden Compass

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

CanisWolfred

Rocko52 wrote:

Hmm, I might check it out. I've heard that it's quite dated though, and that it doesn't quite hit as high as it's predecessor, Gundam, or its apparent spiritual successor, Evangelion.

On a different note, Kill la Kill is in two days!!!

Made by the same folks who made Gurren Lagann!

Honestly, I'd say the original Gundam is more dated, but otherwise, yeah that about sums it up. It's still worth checking out, though, IMO.

And yes, I am very excited for Kill La Kill! Is it really starting that soon? I thought it starts in October?

BTW, speaking of Gundam, I watched probably the worst Gundam I could've watched yesterday - ZZ Gundam. The first 13 episodes of that show are completely insufferable. I thought it got better when the token loli (yes, they've had those for a lot longer than one would expect) gets kidnapped, but I think it takes a bit longer to get better, since that happens in episode 12, and episode 13 is still full of stupid jokes and unnecessary fanservice - you see, they tried to turn Gundam into a risque comedy with this entry, and it completely falls on its face, taking out all the drama and character development that made the series so good before. The villains are now impossible to take seriously, the main heroes are irresponsible idiots (at least for now), and the writing is just painful. This portion of the show alone pretty much ruined Gundam for a while, since a lot of series suffered subpar-to-poor ratings for quite a while, until Gundam SEED attracted a bunch of new fans to the franchise (and the franchise now had high ratings and poor quaity instead of High Quality and poor ratings. God I hate life).

If I had to say one positive thing about this portion of ZZ Gundam, at least it did a good Job of making me fear for the token loli's life when she was kidnapped by Glemy - seeing a little girl being forced to wear pretty dresses and then get congradulated when she messes up a curtsy and blatantly shows her panties (a scene the writers were so proud of they felt the need to include it in the next episode preview), by the guy who has already been established as a stalker with an oedipus complex tends to do that to ya...

Seriously, thank God Tomino, the creator of Gundam, eventually takes the reigns and saves this ship from sinking - everyone goes through drastic changes throughout the course of the show and the drama gets turned back up to an appropriate level once again. They never quite save the story, but I'd prefer to think the damage was too done to fix that. Even Glemy goes through an interesting character arc and because a really interesting villain, and the climax and twists are some of my favorites in the series.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Rocko52

Are Gundam SEED and Wing really that bad?

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

CanisWolfred

Rocko52 wrote:

Are Gundam SEED and Wing really that bad?

Gundam SEED has some low points, but I thought it was okay. It's SEED Destiny that's awful (Though it has a great Villain that alone can make the series worth watching).

Gundam Wing is terrible, though. I love it, but it's terrible. Much like Dragon Ball Z, it was a show that got a ton of things wrong that any other show would've gotten criticized for, but for some reason got away with at the time. It did have great music and Mecha designs, though. I even own the soundtrack, and I'd kill for a Leo or a Taurus model kit...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Rocko52

Speaking of DBZ, I know tons of anime fans love it for nostalgic reasons, but I've never seen it and I don't really feel the need. At the same time, it's considered "required viewing" for all anime fans, and people sing it's praises, but it just doesn't seem that good to me.

CanisWolfred

Rocko52 wrote:

Speaking of DBZ, I know tons of anime fans love it for nostalgic reasons, but I've never seen it and I don't really feel the need. At the same time, it's considered "required viewing" for all anime fans, and people sing it's praises, but it just doesn't seem that good to me.

If you don't have nostalgia, there's very little chance you'll enjoy it. I do know one guy who loved it and first watched it only recently, but I don't know why and I haven't seen him in forever. Otherwise, I don't know any anime fan that would actually consider it "required" viewing, unless you grew up watching anime in the 90's or want to see how Shounen progressed. Otherwise you're better off just watching Dragonball Z Abridged, IMO.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Rocko52

One Piece is really becoming my favorite anime. Unlike most I was never offput by the art style, even though it is rather odd, but at this point I really love it. I've also since bought and read the first two volumes, with the intention on collecting the series. The art style, while definitely influenced heavily by Akira Toriyama, goes on its own completely different, zany route.

Also, here's two fandubs I love:

Edited on by Rocko52

TysonOfTime

MidiGuyFDp's pretty good. I've liked his One Piece fandubs for a while now.

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

Demi-fiend

Guess this. THIS HAND OF MINE IS BURNING RED! ITS LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO GRASP VICTORY! ERUPTING BURNING FINGER!

Demi-fiend

Demi-fiend

CanisWolfred wrote:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

Guess this. THIS HAND OF MINE IS BURNING RED! ITS LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO GRASP VICTORY! ERUPTING BURNING FINGER!

I prefer the Shining Finger Sword chant myself.

To each his own. But, what theme you prefer Shining or Burning?

Demi-fiend

CanisWolfred

ShadowFox254 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

I prefer the Shining Finger Sword chant myself.

To each his own. But, what theme you prefer Shining or Burning?

Definitely Burning. Shining's Theme is great, but the Burning Finger one sent shivers down my spine.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Also, could someone please explain to me why G-Gundam has Gundams at all? I mean, they have people who can apparently defeat Giant Robots with their bare hands:

At this point I think having these guys in Giant Robots is overkill. XD

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

So apparently Toonami will finally be airing FLCL soon. Works for me! I only saw it once all in a row on AS years ago, but it was probably one of the most fun experiences I've had watching anime.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Jaz007

I got up to episode 15 in Death Note today, it's definitely becoming at least my second favorite anime, and Light is becoming one of my favorite protagonists in anime. The show just gets better and better.

Edited on by Jaz007

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

RR529

kkslider5552000 wrote:

So apparently Toonami will finally be airing FLCL soon. Works for me! I only saw it once all in a row on AS years ago, but it was probably one of the most fun experiences I've had watching anime.

Wonder what's getting the boot, then? It's one of their back catalogue shows (as in, they've held the rights to it, & shown it recently before starting Toonami, like Bebop & InuYasha), so it'll probably be replacing a show on the back end.

My guess would be Bebop or IGPX. (although I suppose Big O is a possibility as well)

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Ah, it appears that they'll (Toonami) be showing two episodes of IGPX on Oct. 19 (foregoing Clone Wars for the week), that way IGPX, Big O, & Bebop will end on that same week.

The next week, IGPX will be replaced with FLCL, Big O with GitS, & Bebop with IGPX.

Although there's a rumor going around that FLCL is just a placeholder for a new show altogether. As it would be on directly after SAO, if there were to be a 6th premiering show added, that's where it'd fall (and apparently, they've used the FLCL name as a placeholder before, while hiding a new show). Backing the theory, is that FLCL is just too short to maintain ratings after an initial run.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

shingi_70

Just started reading the Manga version of Dance in the Vampire Bund.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Magikarp3

Finished up 20th Century Boys (and 21st) and it was a hoot! Perhaps not the greatest literary work ever written, as the internet so helpfully described, but a masterfully planned mystery thriller nonetheless. I just wish the translators didn't get so hostile to the plot in the credits pages :/

I then jumped into Muhyo and Rouji which reminded me a lot of Mushishi. Now I'm reading Mushishi again, and rediscovering its greatness! I swear, everyone planning on becoming a doctor should be forced to read Mushishi.

And @RR529 I remember FLCL being a staple before the cancellation of the first Adult Swim block. Even though it's six episodes long, it's a fan favourite.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

RR529

Finished chapter 550 of Bleach!

Decent chapter altogether. Mayuri has entered a confrontation, while Soi Fon & Toshiro continue theirs (Toshiro looks to be in the biggest pickle. The enemies (which I won't mention, to avoid spoilers) are loosing their coolness factor though, IMO.

Also finished the last two parts of Dominion Tank Police! I don't think I liked them quite as much as the first two, but they were still fun watches (also, is New Dominion Tank Police any good?)

Mellowkarp wrote:

And @RR529 I remember FLCL being a staple before the cancellation of the first Adult Swim block. Even though it's six episodes long, it's a fan favourite.

Oh yeah, I've been with AS for a long time (at least since the summer of 2004, staying up late to catch Bebop & InuYasha), and I love FLCL. While I do enjoy FLCL though, AS seems to have a much faster pace when it comes to Toonami's lineup (as in even when it comes to old shows, they usually don't play them more than twice to keep fresh), so FLCL would seem like an odd addition considering their current philosophy.

TL;DR - As a promise to the fans (and to help ratings), they don't replay shows much in order to keep the block from becoming stagnant, but due to FLCL's length, they'll either have to play through it many times (going against their current philosophy), or replace it quickly.

I would personally love to see it again, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic