General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 7,481 to 7,500 of 10,614

AuthorMessage

ShadowFox254

7,481. Posted:

@Blastoise-san Haven't seen One Piece in a long time has the series ended yet? Or is it like Naurto and Bleach, keeps going until it becomes boring. -_-

Edited on by ShadowFox254

SSBB FC: 4469-2472-6865

Pokémon Safari: Bergmite, Delibird, and Piloswine.

You can become anything and go anywhere.

3DS Friend Code: 3995-6582-2763

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,482. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Blastoise-san wrote:

My favorite manga of the Shonen Jump colleciton: Bleach, Black Cat, Ral & Grad, Cerberus, Kurohime, Claymore, DBZ, Shaman King, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Yu Yu Hakusho, and CLASSIC Yugioh manga. I feel like I'm forgetting some D: One Piece used to be one of my favorites until it had too many overlapping characters and Naruto used to be one of my favorites until I got tired of the really complex story. I'm still rooting for Uzumaki but everything has spun out of control around him.

What do you mean by "overlapping characters"?

As in... Usually in anime/manga, when a new character gets introduced that new character always has a special theme to that person that reflects that person's personaltiy. Maybe he/she is down to earth, weird, funny, a nerd, perverted, silly, crazy, etc. The new character will always behave the way their theme permits them. Example: When Sanji was first introduced in One Piece, he was the perverted guy. He was the guy who loved the ladies. He constantly flirted with women in the manga and constantly blushed over anything Nami did. This what made Sanji unique. At the time... Luffy was the foolish yet powerful young hero. Usuop was the cowardly yet good hearted guy. Zolo was the extremly powerful guy who might appear harsh but in reality is really nice and Nami was the smart girl who loved Berries. Every character in Luffy's crew fufilled a purpose. Sanji, by being a pervert, gave him a purpose. Nearly everything he did or said had something to do with women. Sanji offered comedy and I kinda liked how foolish the guy got around women. I smiled at that.
Lets skip to now.
Lets skip to the "overlapping characters" part.
I feel as if Sanji is losing is uniqueness (I bet thats not a word) in the story because there's this guy named Brooks who joins Luffy's crew... In my opinion, Brooks acts just like Sanji. He's perverted and tries his best to woo women every chance he gets. So when I began seeing Brooks more and more in the manga... I kept asking myself: "Why are you here? You're saying stuff that Sanji would say. Get outta here. Your personality is a copy." By having Brooks there, I begin to lose my view of Sanji. I don't see Sanji as being unique anymore. See what I mean? That's what I mean by "overlapping characters".
I'll try it this way.
In One Piece, Eiichiro Oda LOVES making huge boss fights where every person in Luffy's crew fights against a bad guy. Its supposed to show that Luffy's crew is willing to fight for the same causes Luffy stands for. But...here's the problem... Am I the only one who can see that Oda is struggling with giving every person in Luffy's crew someone to fight??? I read the fight scenes and everything just keeps jumping. From Frankie to Brooks to Zolo to Robin to Luffy... etc. The scene keeps jumping over and over and I'm like... "There is just too much stuff going on." I feel like Oda feels OBLIGATED to give every crew member someone to fight because if he doesn't... that character begins to become stale and worthless.
This is just my opinion.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I do plan on getting a PS4 someday :D

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,483. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

I read the first chapter of Toriko!

I'm liking the "Dragonball-ish" vibe the series gives, but it hasn't roped me in quite yet. I'll give it a couple more chapters, though.

I tried Torkio for a good while. Its a pure action and adventure manga with some "comedy" in it. Just BEWARE. There's a certain character that will try to steal the spotlight from Toriko in every Arc.... Lol it became so obvious that I kinda stopped liking it.

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,484. Posted:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

@Blastoise-san Haven't seen One Piece in a long time has the series ended yet? Or is it like Naurto and Bleach, keeps going until it becomes boring. -_-

First off... Lemme say this. I'm a weird guy. If there's a manga version of a anime then I'll read the manga. I prefer reading than watching. So I prefer reading One Piece manga than watching the anime. I don't like the voice actors that are usually hired for anime (especialy Shonen Jump anime) and I really hate how some anime totally drift away from the Japanese creator's true intent (which is usually the manga) aka... FILLER. Ever compare Naruto manga to the stuff that gets shown on TV? Yeah, there's alotta FILLER on tv. Look at Yugioh Zexal anime and compare it to the manga. I think the anime show is a joke and terrible to watch but the manga is just so dang good.
This is just how I feel.
I've only seen one episode of One Piece anime and I quickly turned it off. I didn't like the voice actors. When I read the manga, I come up with my own voices for the characters. I also prefer the manga version because the Japanese creator USUALLY put funny skits in the manga and a "Ask the Writer" part. I also prefer the manga because I really like how some Japanese creators can manipulate the directing/camera shots of a panel in a manga. I've seen some pretty amazing camera shots in manga. :D

Bleach is one of my favorite manga of all time. If you don't like it then thats totally fine with me. Lol I'm not gonna get angry.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

7,485. Posted:

V8_Ninja wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@V8_ninja - I'm surprised, I've heard nothing but good things about Crowds. In fact, it's the only show this season I'm thinking of watching.

I think a lot of people in the anime community are mixing up unexpectedness with quality. The show is definitely unexpected to the point that the viewer can't predict what is going to happen next, but that doesn't automatically translate to quality. And, to be quite honest, I myself am not sure whether there is any undeniable quality in Gatchaman Crowds. Everything good I can say about the series is tempered by something else that is just ludicrous or completely odd. Currently, the only concrete judgement I can give to Gatchaman Crowds is that it is a very strange show.

Well, that sounds interesting to me. Thanks.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ShadowFox254

7,486. Posted:

Blastoise-san wrote:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

First off... Lemme say this. I'm a weird guy. If there's a manga version of a anime then I'll read the manga. I prefer reading than watching. So I prefer reading One Piece manga than watching the anime. I don't like the voice actors that are usually hired for anime (especialy Shonen Jump anime) and I really hate how some anime totally drift away from the Japanese creator's true intent (which is usually the manga) aka... FILLER. Ever compare Naruto manga to the stuff that gets shown on TV? Yeah, there's alotta FILLER on tv. Look at Yugioh Zexal anime and compare it to the manga. I think the anime show is a joke and terrible to watch but the manga is just so dang good.
This is just how I feel.
I've only seen one episode of One Piece anime and I quickly turned it off. I didn't like the voice actors. When I read the manga, I come up with my own voices for the characters. I also prefer the manga version because the Japanese creator USUALLY put funny skits in the manga and a "Ask the Writer" part. I also prefer the manga because I really like how some Japanese creators can manipulate the directing/camera shots of a panel in a manga. I've seen some pretty amazing camera shots in manga. :D

Bleach is one of my favorite manga of all time. If you don't like it then thats totally fine with me. Lol I'm not gonna get angry.

No, I get what you'd mean. I like to read as well. Also, I'm more interest in manga and LNs (shows if its good) since is more funny and better. Bleach was good from the beginning, but get tired of Ichigo coming back from the died so many times. And don't get me started on Naruto. :)

Edited on by ShadowFox254

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

7,487. Posted:

Speaking of anime, what is your avatar ShadowFox. I think I've seen that character before :O

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

7,488. Posted:

@blastoise-san you completely missed the point of the characters so hard I'm wondering if we even watched the same anime. Sanji is a ladies man who is always chasing women. He's not a pervert, though, he's a gentlemen when he's around a woman he's trying to shmooze. Brook just asks to see their panties. You see, he's supposed to be oddball of the group, a silly clown who's always got a joke. That includes being the musician, and that's evident in his fighting style - every one of his attacks have to do with sound, he can even play his violin and put enemies to sleep. Trust me, every single character is unique, there's hardly any overlap anywhere thus far. As for "bosses", dude, one word: Yamcha. Would you rather Oda made some characters Yamchas instead of having them doing something useful? Really? Also, how far did you get? Did you make it through three whole arcs where it's just Luffy and a growing cast of side characters? Because you might want to watch that if you haven't. It might be a good change of pace for you.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

7,489. Posted:

Attack on Titan is Lost in Manga/Anime form in the worst kind of way.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,490. Posted:

@ShadowFox254 Awww man... Naruto... Why is everything so complicated in that series??? Its pretty obvious that Masashi Kishimoto loves playing the "legacy" card in this series OVER AND OVER AND OVER... For example, these people I'm about to name have that "legacy" generation stuff going on. They either look like or act alike or part of a bloodline... Pervy Sage Jiraiya to Naruto's DAD to Naruto... to Konohonamaru.... End. Itachi's dad....to Itachi... to Orochimaru...to Sasuke... End. Tsunade...to Sakura... End. Might Guy to Rock Lee.... End. Ino/Shikamaru/Choji's parents.... to Ino/Shikamaru/Choji.... End. Its becoming really obvious that Kishimoto likes doing the legacy thing. Maybe he thinks its witty and clever. I used to think it was cool until Masashi literally does it for every dang Arc. And man... Naruto is VERY complex. Alot of fake events and backstabbing and...you know... LEGACY.
Ichigo Kurosaki is my bro. Lol

Edited on by Blast

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,491. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@blastoise-san you completely missed the point of the characters so hard I'm wondering if we even watched the same anime. Sanji is a ladies man who is always chasing women. He's not a pervert, though, he's a gentlemen when he's around a woman he's trying to shmooze. Brook just asks to see their panties. You see, he's supposed to be oddball of the group, a silly clown who's always got a joke. That includes being the musician, and that's evident in his fighting style - every one of his attacks have to do with sound, he can even play his violin and put enemies to sleep. Trust me, every single character is unique, there's hardly any overlap anywhere thus far. As for "bosses", dude, one word: Yamcha. Would you rather Oda made some characters Yamchas instead of having them doing something useful? Really? Also, how far did you get? Did you make it through three whole arcs where it's just Luffy and a growing cast of side characters? Because you might want to watch that if you haven't. It might be a good change of pace for you.

I refuse to watch the anime. I never cared for it. I prefer the manga. I explained why I love manga than anime in my previous comments in this thread... I'm pretty far in the manga... But its whatever. Its obvious that you love One Piece and are willing to stand for it. Hey, I feel the same way about Black Cat. I'm NOT in the mood for debating. I find the increasing amount of characters to become an eyesore but you find them as unique. Thats fine. Its a difference of opinion.

Edited on by Blast

AuthorMessage

ShadowFox254

7,492. Posted:

@ScroogeMcLz Akatsuki from the series Hagure Yuusha no Estetica. One of the few main harem dudes who isn't boring and weak.

AuthorMessage

TysonOfTime

7,493. Posted:

@Blastoise-san
As some one who has read every single chapter of One Piece created so far in the official translations (Manga Volumes and WSJ), I love it the most out of every other Manga/Anime series I've seen. I don't think it's without flaws, but if there are character failings it's not in the crew.

And if getting an eyesore from too many characters is your problem, why do you read Bleach? ;3

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

7,494. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

And if getting an eyesore from too many characters is your problem, why do you read Bleach? ;3

Seriously, if there's any show that suffers from character bloat, it's Bleach.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,495. Posted:

@TysonOfTime I could go in a lenghty explanation of why I luv Bleach but... I rather not. I'm not in the mood for it. I luv the Bleach universe (just the manga not the anime) with all my heart. I'm just not in the mood of gong "Bankai" and defending the series. Like I said before... If someone doesn't like Bleach then thats fine. No problem with me. Everyone has their own tastes and dislikes.

Edited on by Blast

AuthorMessage

TysonOfTime

7,496. Posted:

@Blastoise-san
I'm just messing with you. I don't really care if some one likes Bleach. (It... Disappointed me. Immensely.)
To each his own.

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,497. Posted:

@TysonOfTime Okay, man. Okay.

AuthorMessage

ShadowFox254

7,498. Posted:

Has anyone watch The Boondocks?

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

7,499. Posted:

Any recommendations for someone looking for Older nineties anime (think Tenchi Muyo or Eva) or something more space operish. The first Gundam series and Robotech rate high for me.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Blast

7,500. Posted:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

Has anyone watch The Boondocks?

Yeah. I tried it a couple of times. I.. just couldn't get hooked. I know people find it funny and witty but I can't find it appealing. If I was the artist of The Boondocks... I woulda left ages ago and found a different writer but hey... thats just me.