General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 6,741 to 6,760 of 9,421

AuthorMessage

Marks

6,741. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Summer animes are gonna be rolling out soon. Free! Is up first. Anyone watching it?

I watched the first episode twice now, lol. I love it. Good animation, but too much fan service. (Not really a problem if one likes it, like I do).

Still looking for tragic anime that can make me cry. Zero so far. Late thanks to those who gave me recommendations.
Madoka Magica was really good, I regret putting it off. I'm watching AnoHana right now, seems good and I like the art. Clannad, I found the first 6 episodes boring and I didn't like the art but I might try it again.

Say what now?
If you can do no good, at least do no harm. -Kurt Vonnegut
My Freerice

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1418-8196

AuthorMessage

RR529

6,742. Posted:

So, is anyone going to be watching Dog & Scissors? Imagine-Nation covered it Tuesday night, and it looks like it could be interesting.

Pretty much, it's a comedy series, where a teenage bookworm is shot during a robbery at his favorite café, and seemingly dies. However, he wakes up inside the body of a Miniature Dachshund, and is adopted by a crazy novelist who will do anything for story ideas. As it turns out, she also happens to be his favorite author, and is the only human who can understand him. They decide to track down the robber that shot him, find out why he's now a dog, and look for a way to return him to normal.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

6,743. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

So, is anyone going to be watching Dog & Scissors? Imagine-Nation covered it Tuesday night, and it looks like it could be interesting.

Pretty much, it's a comedy series, where a teenage bookworm is shot during a robbery at his favorite café, and seemingly dies. However, he wakes up inside the body of a Miniature Dachshund, and is adopted by a crazy novelist who will do anything for story ideas. As it turns out, she also happens to be his favorite author, and is the only human who can understand him. They decide to track down the robber that shot him, find out why he's now a dog, and look for a way to return him to normal.

This is now the current lead for which anime I'll watch during the season.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

Undead_terror

6,744. Posted:

Also to those who like Rozen maiden (Dolls that are alive and fight each other) there is a 3rd season out now with episodes coming each week, they already released two episodes.

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
The graveyard | Reviewer at eshop gurus | Owner and reviewer at Droid gurus | Public chat | Forums

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage

Jaz007

6,745. Posted:

One thing I don't like about Fairy Tail is how the opening to the show is always changed to reflect the current plot and has spoilers in it. I try to just skip it every time, but you still catch some things sometimes.

Currently playing: inFamous: Second Son Gonna I've 100% it. Now just running around and doing the paper trail DLC.
Backlog: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Civilization 5: Gods and Kings, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

maidesu

6,746. Posted:

has anyone ever seen ToraDora or Chuunibyou?

oh and who knows what this is from...
"watashi no kokoro... UNLOCK!"
heh...(◡‿◡✿)

Kingdom of Venus Photo Diary

♫ Oh Oh Oh Oh 오빠를 사랑해
ah ah ah ah 많이 많이해 ♪

3DS Friend Code: 0748-2393-3237

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

6,747. Posted:

maidesu wrote:

heh...(◡‿◡✿)

God I hate when people use Romaji. I even watched Shugo Chara and I had to look that up. It just makes people seem so elitist when they know there's a million and one chance that anyone will actually understand what they're even saying. Especially when there's an acceptable english translated term ("My Own Heart...Unlock!", IIRC).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

6,748. Posted:

I think I know 2 examples off the top of my head when not using the english translation felt better to me (barring obvious 4kids examples of whatever).
1. Higurashi. Don't even care about the full name but "When They Cry" sounds so boring to me.
2. The catchphrases in Conan. Of course it is. Especially a very simple one where Conan sometimes introduces himself as "Edogawa Conan, tantei-san." Tantei-san means detective (same number of syllables) but they don't translate it exactly despite the fact that it would be perfectly fine. Weird choice and the dub voice actress is so weak anyway by comparison that the dialogue while thinking uses the older teenage version of the character's voice instead (which to be fair is a clever decision). But mostly this is about me being a hypocritical fanboy for the japanese version of this series, I will not even deny.

But I am really sick of not knowing people are talking about Black Butler because they use confusing japanese title etc.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

6,749. Posted:

I used to read Black Butler back when it was only available Fantranslated, so I first knew it as "Kuroshitsuji", yet I still prefer to call it "Black Butler" since "Kuroshitsuji" is pretty much impossible for me to spell or pronounce (I had to look it up, and even then, it took me a million tries to get it right in this post alone). But yeah, I only do it for Higurashi and Ano Natsu de Matteru, if only because the latter is on Crunchyroll in Romaji, so I want people to know that they can watch "Waiting in the Summer" there instead of just on Hulu or Funimation. And ya know, Waiting in the Summer is starting to grow on me.

BTW, does anybody have any anime they wish were more popular? I know I got a pretty detailed list, though it's not quite finished, so I'll post it later.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

6,750. Posted:

I prefer to call Mongolian Chop Squad by its original name, "BECK". It's not due so much to any weird angst about adhering to the original Japanese title, I'm usually just too lazy to type out (or say) two whole extra words. Yeah.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

maidesu

6,751. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

maidesu wrote:

heh...(◡‿◡✿)

God I hate when people use Romaji. I even watched Shugo Chara and I had to look that up. It just makes people seem so elitist when they know there's a million and one chance that anyone will actually understand what they're even saying. Especially when there's an acceptable english translated term ("My Own Heart...Unlock!", IIRC).

I just wrote it in romaji bc I always remember her saying it, not in english, but in japanese.
I wasn't going to write it in japanese bc most can't read it
so calm down

♫ Oh Oh Oh Oh 오빠를 사랑해
ah ah ah ah 많이 많이해 ♪

AuthorMessage

moomoo

6,752. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

BTW, does anybody have any anime they wish were more popular? I know I got a pretty detailed list, though it's not quite finished, so I'll post it later.

The only one that springs to mind for me is Steins;Gate, and that's only because it can never be popular enough in my books. Objectively speaking, it's pretty freaking popular.
Yeah, I need to see some less well-known shows.

Actually, now that I think about it, Ghost Stories doesn't usually get any mention from the anime fans I know. Maybe that's because so many people watch subs, though, and the only reason Ghost Stories is worth mentioning is because of its English dub.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

6,753. Posted:

Yeah, Ghost Stories' one of those things that I only see mentioned by fans of more obscure anime who also tend to watch stuff dubbed...which means I've only seen it mentioned twice? Thrice? I haven't watched more than a few clips, personally, but it looks like the dub of it was pretty good at least.

maidesu wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

maidesu wrote:

heh...(◡‿◡✿)

I just wrote it in romaji bc I always remember her saying it, not in english, but in japanese.
so calm down

I'm calm now that I've vented. You have no idea how often I see that on anime sites. Hell, even One Piece Fansubs refuse to translate half the terms. It drives me crazy, yet if I'd be mobbed if I vented anywhere else but here. :P

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

6,754. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

BTW, does anybody have any anime they wish were more popular?

I dunno, as most of the anime I watch are pretty popular on the internet forums, and that's all that matters! Hahaha no...

I'm honestly more interested in seeing the return of some real mainstream success in America in general for some anime and hoping for the continued success of some of the more beloved anime of the past decade (Welcome to the NHK! especially). But I'd love to see One Piece become legit really popular here (it's gotten close at points I suppose...) and I'd do almost anything to see Detective Conan get another chance on tv.

There is this manga called Ai-Ren that's criminally underrated though. Beautiful manga. But because of the author's other works among other reasons, I'm not surprised it isn't popular.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

6,755. Posted:

Well Free! sounds legitmately disappointing. :P One less thing to watch.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

6,756. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

BTW, does anybody have any anime they wish were more popular?

There is this manga called Ai-Ren that's criminally underrated though. Beautiful manga. But because of the author's other works among other reasons, I'm not surprised it isn't popular.

The covers I've seen of it don't help either. Shame since even the synopsis sounds genuinely heart wrenching.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

maidesu

6,757. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yeah, Ghost Stories' one of those things that I only see mentioned by fans of more obscure anime who also tend to watch stuff dubbed...which means I've only seen it mentioned twice? Thrice? I haven't watched more than a few clips, personally, but it looks like the dub of it was pretty good at least.

maidesu wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

maidesu wrote:

heh...(◡‿◡✿)

so calm down

I'm calm now that I've vented. You have no idea how often I see that on anime sites. Hell, even One Piece Fansubs refuse to translate half the terms. It drives me crazy, yet if I'd be mobbed if I vented anywhere else but here. :P

I can see where your frustration came from~
Hinamori Amu's catch phrase when she transforms is so catchy though, I only remember it in Japanese and it sounds kind of weird in english to me tbh
Did you like Shugo Chara btw? I only watched a couple of seasons because it got a little too childish after a while but I read the manga because of Ikuto <3

Edited on by maidesu

♫ Oh Oh Oh Oh 오빠를 사랑해
ah ah ah ah 많이 많이해 ♪

AuthorMessage

Jollykarp

6,758. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Well Free! sounds legitmately disappointing. :P One less thing to watch.

KyoAni shows have a tendency to be downright terrible until they decide to start becoming awesome. Or the other way around.

Although I won't watch it either unless it makes waves (sorry) on the internet somewhere along the line :p

@Nobodys_Angel I can see what you're coming from I guess, since Cowboy Bebop is more episodic and leaves so much to interpretation that it seems like they didn't bother to go into backstory. I thought the goofiness was just part of its character though - they create a world which is dead serious with racial segregation occurring across planets, and then proceed to break every barrier they set up. I think a jazz listener will get what I mean - on paper, a composition can be a complete mess with things which really shouldn't be there, and yet when congealed together it just works. That's how I feel about the series anyway.

And as for anime I wish was more popular... Honey and Clover! I keep bringing this up lately, but it's really the pinnacle slice-of-life/coming-of-age story.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
Interested in games as art?

"This is the best gift I can give to you right now. A gift without form called "memory". I don't have any money. I can't buy you anything with form. Even so, even without a form, a memory will last forever! I believe that it will."

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

6,759. Posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people were put off by the art style, which is a shame since I recall it being pretty good, and I don't say that very often about shoujo.

maidesu wrote:

I can see where your frustration came from~
Hinamori Amu's catch phrase when she transforms is so catchy though, I only remember it in Japanese and it sounds kind of weird in english to me tbh
Did you like Shugo Chara btw? I only watched a couple of seasons because it got a little too childish after a while but I read the manga because of Ikuto <3

Yeah, it does sound kinda weird in English. I was actually hesitant to write that last sentence...

And I tried really hard to get into Shugo Chara on multiple occassions, since it's an obviously good MG show, but I just can't seem to get around the fanservice, particularly anything involving that catboy. He just always seems to come off as a creeper, and it annoys me so much. The rest of the fanservice and innuendo doesn't help. I guess I'm not that tolerant to fanservice, and that's why I greatly prefer the Pretty Cure franchise. It always seems to be low on fanservice, and when its there, it's usually fairly subtle. Instead it seems to try to get cross-gender appeal by simply having great battle scenes. I like that.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

6,760. Posted:

Sweet! Crunchy Roll is picking up so many animes I want to watch this season! Just a few more and they'll have everyone I want to watch! Sucks Fantasia Dall will be day one only to those who have a premium membership. That one sounds fun.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery