General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 6,641 to 6,660 of 10,613

AuthorMessage

Jaz007

6,641. Posted:

I finshed Angel Beats. I cried at the very end, but then I felt dumb for crying. Aside from the touching moment at the end though, it really wasn't that sad of anime, it was bit sadder than usual maybe, but at the very end of everything, it wasn't too sad. Don't me wrong, I thought it was a pretty good anime. It wasn't very tragic for a tradegy though, but I'm not complaining about that.

Edited on by Jaz007

Currently playing: Super Smash Bros: Wii U and Mount & Blade: Warband: Viking Conquest.

AuthorMessage

moomoo

6,642. Posted:

Bobhobob wrote:

Hey I'm looking for some recommendations for a new anime to watch, I would appreciate if you guys could help. I like shows that tend to mix action with comedy (Soul Eater and Gurren Lagaan being my 2 favorites of this category) or something with action, comedy and drama along the lines of Angel Beats. I would appreciate a recommendation or two.

Full Metal Panic is pretty good. It has a nice blend of action and comedy, with some drama to boot. It's about a guy who was raised in the military and has to juggle his military and high school lives. It does feel a bit generic at times, and sometimes you'll wish it would focus just on one aspect it has, rather than have a bunch at once. However, its second season (Fumofu) is strictly comedy, while its third season (Second Raid) is all action and drama. The thing is, by splitting up its aspects, it becomes a substantially better show in its second and third seasons.

My advice would be to watch Fumofu. It's one of those comedies that is a part of nearly every anime fan's favorite comedy list.

Another awesome show you could watch is Baccano!, if you can stomach its intense violence. It's a story about immortal gangsters, and is somehow able to have dozens of characters, juggle between different periods in time (meaning it's told out of order), and have multiple genres within itself, and do so incredibly well. You'll be confused at first (actually, for a while) but you'll be happy you watched it if you stick with it. Also, dub over sub for this one. The dub for Baccano! is one of the best I've ever heard.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

6,643. Posted:

Bobhobob wrote:

Hey I'm looking for some recommendations for a new anime to watch, I would appreciate if you guys could help. I like shows that tend to mix action with comedy (Soul Eater and Gurren Lagaan being my 2 favorites of this category) or something with action, comedy and drama along the lines of Angel Beats. I would appreciate a recommendation or two.

Blue Exorcist sounds right up your alley, and, like RR529 mentioned, I wouldn't hesitate to try One Piece either.

Haven't seen it in this thread, but I would recommend Arata the Legend, it's basically a shonen Action-Adventure type anime. I noticed a lot of people complained about how wishy-washy the main character is, but I think they were being pretty unfair, it's a great show with good characters. It's almost finished now, the 12th and final episode airs early next week.

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

CrimsonFire

6,644. Posted:

Bobhobob wrote:

Rurouni Kenshin or Full Metal Alchemist

Weirdness
Crimsonloggery
ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!!
Bring Digimon 3DS Game to Europe and America
CUCUMBERS

AuthorMessage

Bobhobob

6,645. Posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I am going to try One Piece, as friends have tried to get me to watch it in the past. Full Metal Panic will probably be watched sometime soon as well. Once again, thanks!

is rly good

Nintendo Network ID: bobhobob

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

6,646. Posted:

Full Metal Panic is a good choice.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

6,647. Posted:

Jaz007 wrote:

I finshed Angel Beats. I cried at the very end, but then I felt dumb for crying. Aside from the touching moment at the end though, it really wasn't that sad of anime, it was bit sadder than usual maybe, but at the very end of everything, it wasn't too sad. Don't me wrong, I thought it was a pretty good anime. It wasn't very tragic for a tradegy though, but I'm not complaining about that.

I cried multiple times throughout that. :|

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

6,648. Posted:

Does Full Metal Panic get better after a while? I tried to watch past the first episode, just couldn't do it. The whole episode was just so full of cliches and stereotypes I felt like it was attempting to be a parody of itself. I usually try to do at least three episodes before I quit an anime I don't like, but FMP just left a bad feeling in my soul. Does it rapidly improve after the first episode or am I just in the tiny minority with the series? If I had to take a guess though, I'd say it's just me :P

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Best YT show here!
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

Squid

6,649. Posted:

I just rewatched/finished (as I haven't actually finished it yet) Gurren Lagann, and man, what an anime. I won't give too much spoilers, all I can say is that the ending in my opinion is like Whose Line Is It Anyway; where the rules are made up and the points (or probabilities)don't matter. Definitely a bit of a pushing-the-limit ridiculous show, but awesome and humorous nonetheless. :3 (though the constant Yoko jokes get a little... too much at times :P)

Also, though I haven't watched it since November, anyone out there a fan of Summer Wars?

Edited on by Squid

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

moomoo

6,650. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Does Full Metal Panic get better after a while? I tried to watch past the first episode, just couldn't do it. The whole episode was just so full of cliches and stereotypes I felt like it was attempting to be a parody of itself. I usually try to do at least three episodes before I quit an anime I don't like, but FMP just left a bad feeling in my soul. Does it rapidly improve after the first episode or am I just in the tiny minority with the series? If I had to take a guess though, I'd say it's just me :P

No, I think it's more just a problem with the first season in general. It's one of those series that is just kind of okay.
However, it's second and third seasons are phenomenal. How about watching an episode of Fumofu? You won't really need any context, and it'll give you a good laugh.

@CaptainSquid Yeah, Gurren Laggann kind of gets ridiculous at the end (and the beginning and middle in my opinion), but it's still a show worth watching. It's odd how I found it as enjoyable as I did. Definitely recommended for mecha fans.

Anyways, I finished watching Steins;Gate with my mom recently, and she absolutely adored it. Now we're watching Death Note, and she's loving it. Here's the thing though; what the heck should we watch afterwards? She's a self-proclaimed anime-hater, and she's really only liked these two shows. I suppose I could just throw Cowboy Bebop at her face, but if any of you have any good gateway anime suggestions, I'm all ears.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever

AuthorMessage

RR529

6,651. Posted:

I wached Project A-Ko 2 on YouTube last night! Pretty much, if you liked the humor & action of the first one, you'll probably like this, as it's just more of the same. The fan service has been toned down though, so there's that.

Also, I've read the first couple chapters of the Fire Emblem manga. I'm not getting my hopes too high, based on the quality of other video game to manga adaptations I've read, but it's looking promising so far. (I think the main character is supposed to be Roy, as he looks like a younger version of him, but for some reason, everyone's calling him Al. Not sure if that's a translation error or what...)

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

6,652. Posted:

Back! So...still haven't gotten to Brotherhood episode 2...I dunno, haven't been drawn to it.

@Caniswolfred
I recall you saying you liked the first half of Eva, how come?

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage

TysonOfTime

6,653. Posted:

I finished Soul Eater today.

Besides the ending being really cheesy, I like the series as a whole a lot.
I hope they pull a FMA:Brotherhood and make a new series that follow the manga once it's done.
...Unless that's a bad idea of course...

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

6,654. Posted:

@Moomoo
Oh good, it's not just me then. As for a recommendation, Might I say Full Metal Alchemist? (2003) It got me into anime, anyways. An excellent blend of story/characters, humor, and action. I haven't seen Brotherhood though, so I can't comment on that. Or perhaps for something lighter after Death Note, you could try Polar Bear's Cafe. I have three episodes left and have gotten insurmountable laughs off of it so far. It's just the sort of an anime that's hard to dislike.

Speaking of Death Note, does anybody know of a similar anime? Not really the plot in general, but just something with at least close (as much would be almost impossible) to the amount of suspense and whatnot that Death Note has.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Best YT show here!

AuthorMessage

RR529

6,655. Posted:

In regards to my last comment, it definitely looks like the main protagonist of Fire Emblem (manga) isn't Roy, as he's depicted with blue hair on the cover.

Funny though, whenever anyone says Al, I imagine it as coming from Robin Williams' voice, lol.

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage

moomoo

6,656. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

@Moomoo
Oh good, it's not just me then. As for a recommendation, Might I say Full Metal Alchemist? (2003) It got me into anime, anyways. An excellent blend of story/characters, humor, and action. I haven't seen Brotherhood though, so I can't comment on that. Or perhaps for something lighter after Death Note, you could try Polar Bear's Cafe. I have three episodes left and have gotten insurmountable laughs off of it so far. It's just the sort of an anime that's hard to dislike.

Speaking of Death Note, does anybody know of a similar anime? Not really the plot in general, but just something with at least close (as much would be almost impossible) to the amount of suspense and whatnot that Death Note has.

Yeah, FMA is one of my favorites. I don't know if it's what she'd want to watch; it has a lot of things that she doesn't like (overreactions, the anime faces, sparkles, etc.) but it's such a varied show that she might like the other things the show tries its hand at.
Oh, and I would never recommend Brotherhood to anyone unfamiliar with FMA. It's a great show, but the first 13 episodes are less than optimal (by FMA standards. I suppose for most shows it would be acceptable. Shows how much better FMA is compared to most other shows).

When it comes to shows similar to Death Note, Code Geass springs to mind. It has a similar protagonist, what with the super smart guy that's kind of dark thing going on. It's not quite as well-written (granted, virtually none of them are. Death Note is arguably the most well-written anime around, at least with the first two thirds) but it does have character development, something Death Note didn't really have (but didn't need so it's okay). Also, giant robots. And it's by Clamp, so of course there's fanservice. It's one of the most talked about shows I've seen, and it's certainly worth watching.
Also, the second half of Steins;Gate is the most suspensful show I've ever seen. Can't recommend it enough.

Best thread ever

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

6,657. Posted:

Progress:
Bleach: Finished Episode 35
One Piece: Finished Episode 45 (I know, I haven't watched much of either show, as last week I decided to stop watching them for a bit to finish Eva, over the weekend saw End of Eva, and I haven't watched much anime at all this week, just 4 assorted episodes of Bleach, FMA B, Attack on Titan, and Gargantia)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Finished Episode 1
Lucky Star: Finished Episode 6 (Need to get back to this as well)
Attack on Titan: Finished Episode 12
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet: Finished Episode 12
Fruits Basket: Finished Episode 11 (I REALLY need to get back to this one)

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

6,658. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Yes, well, kinda. The first season isn't great, and it's better when you've seen Mecha before and can relate to the jokes, since it kind of is a parody. I still prefer The Second Raid, its actually a serious Mecha show, and one of the few good ones that have appeared in the last 10 years, IMO. Got a bit silly near the end, but still, if they can keep up the momentum, I would gladly welcome a new season just like it if these guys would make anything other than boring Slice of Life anime.

Rocko52 wrote:

@Caniswolfred
I recall you saying you liked the first half of Eva, how come?

It was lighter in tone, more fun, the battles were intence, and the characters were somewhat more interesting and likeable before we were sucepted to their largely over-the-top backstories.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

CrimsonFire

6,659. Posted:

My Progress

Rurouni Kenshin ep. 13 (I stopped for a little while to see the 4 Trust & Betrayel OVAs so now i know more of Kenshins past)

I still need to start Hellsing

Weirdness
Crimsonloggery
ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!!
Bring Digimon 3DS Game to Europe and America
CUCUMBERS

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

6,660. Posted:

One Piece dvds! Now I can watch a lame filler arc that involves amnesia and backtracking character development just to tie-in to a video game or something! YAY!!!

...that's what you get when you decide to collect the entirety of a series that's been going on for more than a decade...

honestly, I'm way too stubborn with this as I'd love to get like, FMA: Brotherhood or the I think upcoming SAVE edition of Cased Closed or that gigantic Slayers collection, but I need some money for gaming. Oh well.

That reminds me, Slayers is awesome. That is all.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!