General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 5,501 to 5,520 of 10,614

AuthorMessage

V8_Ninja

5,501. Posted:

While I'm still unchanged on my opinion of Flowers of Evil (that being one of uncertainty), the second episode did show how the series could ultimately fail. The little bit of comedy that was present in the second episode didn't mesh well with the art style nor did it fit the previous tone that the series had established. The dialogue also didn't match well with either the tone nor the more realistic animation/character designs, ultimately coming off as slightly cartoon-ish. But two episodes are not what a series makes. Hopefully the third episode can end those oddities and stick with the more serious elements.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,502. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Ever watched anime without any action or violence?

Since it's an interesting question, hope you don't mind if I tackle it, as well.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Movie) - It's about a girl who gains the ability to move back in time, and an interresting narrative follows.

Shin-Chan - In Japan it's a kid's show, but for some reason, when it got localized for the west, they thought it would be a good idea to turn it into a South Park like crude comedy.

Beach Stars (Manga) - There isn't any fighting, or traditional action, but it's a sports manga (beach volleyball), and they naturally make everything look more intense.

There are probably more, but these are what come to mind for me.

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage

Arianabtd

5,503. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Rocko52 wrote:

@CanisWolfred

Shin-Chan - In Japan it's a kid's show, but for some reason, when it got localized for the west, they thought it would be a good idea to turn it into a South Park like crude comedy

It's also really popular in Korea ^^. I'm not sure if they dubbed it into a crude comedy like they did here.

-Idolmasterrrrrr-
Sir Zacharias Barnham is my new husband.
Konata -> Arianabtd

Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter: Arianabtd

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,504. Posted:

Hmmmm, a lot of Shoujo anime seems to not use much if any action, so anyone watched any good Shoujo.

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage

Arianabtd

5,505. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

Hmmmm, a lot of Shoujo anime seems to not use much if any action, so anyone watched any good Shoujo.

I have to warn you. Shoujo can be VERY girly. (Which I like, since. You know... I'm a girl.)

-Idolmasterrrrrr-
Konata -> Arianabtd

AuthorMessage

V8_Ninja

5,506. Posted:

I know this isn't technically Japanese animation, but LOOK AT IT;

IT'S SO DAMN PRETTY!!! It's made by a French company called La Cachette, an independent animation studio whose employees have worked for Disney, Onyx Films, and Les Armateurs. The name of the studio roughly translates to 'The Hideout'.

The first volume of Kairos (Book? Episode? Movie? I don't know french culture.) comes out in two days, on April 25th. If I spoke/read French I would totally import this.

EDIT: Looking at the end of the trailer, that rectangle of a product definitely looks like a book. So yeah, I don't get why a book is being promoted with an animated trailer, but it's still pretty awesome nonetheless.

Edited on by V8_Ninja

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,507. Posted:

@Konata
I really don't care as long as it's good.

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

5,508. Posted:

@V8-Ninja That looks truly amazing.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,509. Posted:

I've heard Fruits Basket is good, my sisters love it.

AuthorMessage

Arianabtd

5,510. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

I've heard Fruits Basket is good, my sisters love it.

Fruits Basket is that ONE anime, that people who don't usually like anime love to watch.
I personally, didn't really get into it so I never finished.

Anyway here are some Shoujo Suggestions from me: (The Shoujo Queen x3.)
Skip Beat! (Great anime, I think you'd like it, because it ends before any real romantic stuff happens. Like in the manga.)
Ouran HSHC (I showed it to my brother and he loves it, Just don't be scared off by the first episode it gets better by the second episode.)
Acchi Kocchi (I know I keep mentioning its TOO CUTE FOR WORDS. But it's actually really funny.)
Just remember, these shows are aimed at the female demographic, so as these suggestions are from a girl, you might not enjoy them like I did. But I suggest you give them a shot

Edited on by Arianabtd

-Idolmasterrrrrr-
Konata -> Arianabtd

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,511. Posted:

@Konata
I'm a brony so...if that says anything... also I actually quite like romance and it irks me that most Shonen authors never put it in, but add in fanservice instead. "Cause we boyz like to look at hot girls, but don't want relationships n' crap." :P

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,512. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@Konata
I'm a brony so...if that says anything... also I actually quite like romance and it irks me that most Shonen authors never put it in, but add in fanservice instead. "Cause we boyz like to look at hot girls, but don't want relationships n' crap." :P

As for shonen series with a large focus on romance, there's InuYasha & Rurouni Kenshin.

Both of which are a couple of my favorites.

Currently Playing:

Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage

Arianabtd

5,513. Posted:

@Rocko52
Oh, oh! While @RR529 is on the topic of Shonen. I highly suggest watching Ranma 1/2. It's a great 90's anime.
it's a great series if you're in it for the long haul. (160 some episodes.)
Ranma is seriously, the bestest. (I used to have a little crush on him, shhh. Don't tell anyone.)
I really like the dub. But they change Ranma's voice actor like 50 episodes(?) in. I still liked both voice actors though.

-Idolmasterrrrrr-
Konata -> Arianabtd

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,514. Posted:

Konata wrote:

@Rocko52
Oh, oh! While @RR529 is on the topic of Shonen. I highly suggest watching Ranma 1/2. It's a great 90's anime.
it's a great series if you're in it for the long haul. (160 some episodes.)
Ranma is seriously, the bestest. (I used to have a little crush on him, shhh. Don't tell anyone.)
I really like the dub. But they change Ranma's voice actor like 50 episodes(?) in. I still liked both voice actors though.

Yeah, Ranma 1/2 is good too (it's an earlier project of the creator of InuYasha), but in addition to being a shonen romantic comedy, it also has lots of fanservice (mostly early on).

It is good, though.

Currently Playing:

Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,515. Posted:

I'll check them out

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

5,516. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@CanisWolfred

Yes. I've seen quite a few actually.

Have I ever enjoyed an anime without any action? Not really...

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,517. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
Huh, oh well.

Anyways I'm very glad I continued with Trigun, I'm really enjoying it now and it's taken a welcome spot in my schedule.

AuthorMessage

turtlelink

5,518. Posted:

Found this and thought it was sick! Soul Eater fans should check it out.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,519. Posted:

Anyone think Kingdom Hearts'd make a good anime?

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,520. Posted:

Just finished up chapter 14 of Gunsmith Cats Burst!

I'm so glad I decided to read this. Although I've enjoyed stuff like Metroid & Beach Stars, no manga has engrossed me like some of my favorite anime series (except for the Dragon Ball & Bleach mangas, which I was already a fan of because of their respective anime).

Gunsmith Cats Burst has happily broken that trend, & I'm enjoying it just as much as a great anime.

Currently Playing:

Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)