General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 5,421 to 5,440 of 10,309

AuthorMessage

V8_Ninja

5,421. Posted:

Hey guys, remember when I thought I figured out the reason for my frustration with Sword Art Online? I just checked the Anime News Network page for Tomohiko Ito and learned that he was the assistant director for both The Girl Who Lept Through Time and Summer Wars.

Summer Wars is, like, one of my favorite movies. Ever.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,422. Posted:

@RR529
Would you recommend Metroid?

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

5,423. Posted:

V8_Ninja wrote:

Hey guys, remember when I thought I figured out the reason for my frustration with Sword Art Online? I just checked the Anime News Network page for Tomohiko Ito and learned that he was the assistant director for both The Girl Who Lept Through Time and Summer Wars.

Summer Wars is, like, one of my favorite movies. Ever.

Oh, that would explain it, yes.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,424. Posted:

[quote=Rocko52]@RR529
Would you recommend Metroid?[/quote

If you're a fan of the games, it's worth a read for curiosity's sake (which is why it's held my attention), but I don't think it's good enough on it's own to interest anyone who isn't into the games.

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,425. Posted:

@RR529
Gotcha.

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

5,426. Posted:

Here's some news that might make kkslider happy: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/20/lupin-iii-vs...

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

5,427. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Here's some news that might make kkslider happy: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/20/lupin-iii-vs...

Obviously I knew about this already. :p

I want to love this but the special they aired a few years ago was really disappointing. Way too much of it was focused on this bland story with boring characters that were made up for the special instead of, y'know, the story and characters people care about. I don't think Lupin and Conan are even in the same scene for 95% of it.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,428. Posted:

A new Lupin & Conan crossover! I really enjoyed the first, so I can't wait to see this!

Although I wish they'd match wits a little more, this time around.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

5,429. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

CrimsonFire13 wrote:

Watched Aku no Hana(The Flowers of Evil) and well it creepily interesting, might have to start watching it.

Even the ending is weird and creepy

The ending was just... I only realised it was supposed to be an ending theme halfway through. (Prior I had just thought it was another weird flower sequence, with someone speaking randomly). The beginning theme was weird enough!

I watched the first episode of Flowers of Evil last night, and the opening theme actually made me laugh out loud when it first started up. Its tone was just so completely different from the rest of the show, it almost felt like an absurdist joke.

That ending theme was plenty unsettling, though.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

5,430. Posted:

Just a note to anyone who might be interested in trying a mecha show:

They always start slow. Or badly. Or Both.

Seriously, I think Code Geass is the only exception to this (in fact, it hits the ground running). Most shows will take a while to get interesting, so if you plan on watching, I suggest not making an opinion until you're at least a third of the way through it. Doesn't matter the length, it pretty much always scales. Some even take more than half the show to be that interesting (Looking at you, Eureka Seven and Turn A Gundam). If you're interested in it right away, that's great, because it's only going to get better (how much better is up to the writers...), or at least end on a higher note than it starts, for the most part (though again, from my experience, those are fewer than the amount that simply get better once you're a good ways through). Even shows I've disliked, I can at least say I enjoyed more in the end than when I started, and some have turned my opinion around 180o once I've gotten to a certain point.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is: don't knock it until you really try it.

With all that said, @rocko52 - I can't really give you an opinion of Valvrave right now. It's starting out really shakey, but that's not unusual. I don't want to say so early in that it's Gundam ver. 542, but that's how it's been so far. It'll be a while before I can say anything definitive about my opinion on it. It has plenty of time to develop into its own thing, and that's exactly what I'm going to have to give it: Time. If you don't want to watch it yourself week after week (I can't blame you, I don't even like going at this pace to be quite honest...), then how's about you watch Mobile Suit Gundam, where Mecha all began, in the meantime? IIRC, you were planning on watching it at some point anyways? It seems like the most logical step to me. Of course, keep in mind that it nmight take a while to get going, especially when it comes to Amuro Ray (who I'll admit is actually kind of an annoying kid for about half the show). Not saying right away, it'll take months before enough of Valvrave is out. Just thought it'd be something to pass the time if you have a few slots open for it, and episode 10 of Valvrave isn't out yet.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Obviously I knew about this already. :p

I want to love this but the special they aired a few years ago was really disappointing. Way too much of it was focused on this bland story with boring characters that were made up for the special instead of, y'know, the story and characters people care about. I don't think Lupin and Conan are even in the same scene for 95% of it.

Darn, was planning on watching the first Special (granted I'm sure that would've been a bad idea anyways)....

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,431. Posted:

Just finished up Metroid!

The final two chapters were a condensed interpretation of the first game. The first having Samus confront Kraid, and the second having her confront Ridley (during which she suddenly develops the Wave Beam & Ice Beam), ending with her getting ready to face Mother Brain.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,432. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
Does that include the original Mobile Suit Gundam?

Also, I think my interests in anime aren't any particular genre, cause I've found myself drawn towards even Shoujo anime, I think what matters to me is the plot and characters. For example, I'm 3 eps away from finishing FMA, and I just love the series so much due to its characters and plot. I do like its setting a lot, but the story just draws me in.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

5,433. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Does that include the original Mobile Suit Gundam?

Also, I think my interests in anime aren't any particular genre, cause I've found myself drawn towards even Shoujo anime, I think what matters to me is the plot and characters. For example, I'm 3 eps away from finishing FMA, and I just love the series so much due to its characters and plot. I do like its setting a lot, but the story just draws me in.

Definitely. The original Gundam's more about the characters, though. Even the side characters really add to the show, so I usually feel it becomes more interesting around episode 8 or 9, when they show more of Garma, and reveal more about Char's plans.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Jollykarp

5,434. Posted:

@RevolverLink Yeah, I thoguht the OP was seriously out of place as well. I can see it completely ruining the mood of some future episodes :p

And after thinking over what I watched, I realised that Aku No Hana did plotwise in an entire episode what most school comedies do in the first five minutes. Except with a creepy atmosphere!! Cannot emphasise that enough.

In other news, I finished Kud's arc in Little Busters. I couldn't help but like it since it was so unorthodox compared to everything else in the show! It was like half a dozen genre switches across three episodes! I didn't even care as much that the resolution... well, let's face it - didn't make any sense. It's a bit of a shame that each character only gets three episodes for their entire arc though. Makes me want to get into Visual Novels, although I know I won't have the patience for that kind of stuff.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
"If I was on the highest cliff, the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on for your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down" - J Ivy

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

5,435. Posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/19-1/kyoani-cou...

Kyoto Animation has something new in the works, btw. I'm hoping it's more Full Metal Panic...

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

5,436. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Kyoto Animation has something new in the works, btw. I'm hoping it's more Full Metal Panic...

as long as it can continue the momentum from that last season, I completely agree.

Though Haruhi takes priority for me.

AuthorMessage

Jollykarp

5,437. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

as long as it can continue the momentum from that last season, I completely agree.

I'm mostly hoping for something new, maybe even something not set in a school for once. But really, I'll take whatever it turns out to be :p

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
"If I was on the highest cliff, the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on for your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down" - J Ivy

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

RR529

5,438. Posted:

I think I'm going to start reading Gunsmith Cats. I liked the OVA series I saw not too long ago, and apparently it was all original material, so I won't have to go through it again in the manga.

I've read the first chapter so far, and it's definitely looking like it's going to be fun.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

5,439. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
Do you like character centered stories?

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

5,440. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I'm mostly hoping for something new

this would be more valid if either series were done and they weren't already doing a decent amount of new shows anyway