General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 5,081 to 5,100 of 9,407

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

5,081. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@V8_Ninja - So...you're disappointed because the ending wasn't depressing? That's weird. Maybe it's because I have been depressed for much of my life, but I prefer it when a show that focuses on a sense of hopelessness becomes hopeful in the end. The messege should be "no matter how bad things get, there will always be something good in the end if you fight for it," not "$#!+ sucks..." I'm sorry, but I just find the very idea of a show being depressing from beginning to end simply sickening. Why would you possibly want that?

I haven't gotten to the end yet but I agree with Wolfred. Most attempts at non-happy endings in any medium that I've seen honestly completely suck, even when the rest of the story was phenomenal. The only exception to this usually is horror and even then it doesn't work too often in my experience. Though to be fair, while it isn't horror really, it does have a sense of paranoia most horror series everywhere could only dream of.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jollykarp

5,082. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@V8_Ninja - So...you're disappointed because the ending wasn't depressing? That's weird. Maybe it's because I have been depressed for much of my life, but I prefer it when a show that focuses on a sense of hopelessness becomes hopeful in the end. The messege should be "no matter how bad things get, there will always be something good in the end if you fight for it," not "$#!+ sucks..." I'm sorry, but I just find the very idea of a show being depressing from beginning to end simply sickening. Why would you possibly want that?

I haven't gotten to the end yet but I agree with Wolfred. Most attempts at non-happy endings in any medium that I've seen honestly completely suck, even when the rest of the story was phenomenal. The only exception to this usually is horror and even then it doesn't work too often in my experience. Though to be fair, while it isn't horror really, it does have a sense of paranoia most horror series everywhere could only dream of.

To be honest, I think depressing endings can be effective in some scenarios. I do prefer the bittersweet ones a lot more though. I can certainly understand why someone would complain that an ending wasn't depressing enough, especially if it goes against the rest of the show's tone. I don't want to go too deeply into discussing endings, because spoilers and all, but there are some shows which I have enjoyed much more because the endings weren't hopeful. A prime example of this would be Cowboy Bebop, which was gloomy all the way through.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
Interested in games as art?

"This is the best gift I can give to you right now. A gift without form called "memory". I don't have any money. I can't buy you anything with form. Even so, even without a form, a memory will last forever! I believe that it will."

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

5,083. Posted:

Just watched Psyco Diver on YouTube!

It certainly wasn't bad, but I wasn't really enthralled with it, either. It tries to be sci-fi in parts, thriller in others, and even horror elsewhere. The large horror influence is what probably turned me off, though, as I personally don't care for horror. It had an interesting concept, though.

Also, there is some nudity, and this has an above average amount of blood, IMO (Literally the first thing you see is a man's head exploding). For those of you concerned with such things.

It was a pretty good visit to YouTube, overall, though. New episodes of Did You Know Gaming? (Final Fantasy part 2), Easter Egg Hunting (Metal Gear Solid part 2), and Cool Bits (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) were waiting for me :) Okay, that last part wasn't anime, so I'll shut up.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

5,084. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@V8_Ninja - So...you're disappointed because the ending wasn't depressing? That's weird. Maybe it's because I have been depressed for much of my life, but I prefer it when a show that focuses on a sense of hopelessness becomes hopeful in the end. The messege should be "no matter how bad things get, there will always be something good in the end if you fight for it," not "$#!+ sucks..." I'm sorry, but I just find the very idea of a show being depressing from beginning to end simply sickening. Why would you possibly want that?

I haven't gotten to the end yet but I agree with Wolfred. Most attempts at non-happy endings in any medium that I've seen honestly completely suck, even when the rest of the story was phenomenal. The only exception to this usually is horror and even then it doesn't work too often in my experience. Though to be fair, while it isn't horror really, it does have a sense of paranoia most horror series everywhere could only dream of.

To be honest, I think depressing endings can be effective in some scenarios. I do prefer the bittersweet ones a lot more though. I can certainly understand why someone would complain that an ending wasn't depressing enough, especially if it goes against the rest of the show's tone. I don't want to go too deeply into discussing endings, because spoilers and all, but there are some shows which I have enjoyed much more because the endings weren't hopeful. A prime example of this would be Cowboy Bebop, which was gloomy all the way through.

Cowboy Bebop flipflopped between hopeful and depressing. I wouldn't really say it was gloomy all the way through. The episode before ended on kind of a high note, iirc.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

5,085. Posted:

For all those interested, A new Infinite Stratos Anime is confirmed.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rocko52

5,086. Posted:

Hey CanisWolfred, you're into Mecha, ever played Steel Battalion on Xbox?

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Captain Earth, Tonari no Seki-kun, Inferno Cop

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

5,087. Posted:

Bleach
http://sharkrobot.com/popup_image/pID/231:a692027b355ea487ce9...

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
The graveyard | Reviewer at eshop gurus | Owner and reviewer at Droid gurus | Public chat | Forums

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

5,088. Posted:

Anyone else reading attack on titan?

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

5,089. Posted:

Tomorrow's the day!

. . .

I will continue Binbogami-ga!

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

5,090. Posted:

Just watched Gun Smith Cats on YouTube!

A really fun ride! It's not must watch, but it's animated well, has a bright art style, and has loads of intense gunslinging action! It's not overly silly, nor is it overly serious. Just a simple, fun watch.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

5,091. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

Hey CanisWolfred, you're into Mecha, ever played Steel Battalion on Xbox?

Nope, never owned an Xbox. I always wanted to play that, though.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

5,092. Posted:

I forgot to mention this but did you know the ds game commando steal disaster stole a song from a gundam wing game.

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
The graveyard | Reviewer at eshop gurus | Owner and reviewer at Droid gurus | Public chat | Forums

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

5,093. Posted:

Also another game related thing is you are able to buy kawaii camo on black ops 2.
Untitled

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
The graveyard | Reviewer at eshop gurus | Owner and reviewer at Droid gurus | Public chat | Forums

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rocko52

5,094. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
It does look great though...pictures of that awesome controller just make me want it so bad...

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Captain Earth, Tonari no Seki-kun, Inferno Cop

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

5,095. Posted:

I'd like to make a list of terms that I never want to hear again from the anime community, a top 10:

1-9: moeblob
...er...
10: anyone being a primarily english speaking person, who has never lived in Japan, who says the japanese name of an anime that has been dubbed well with a good translated title. In other words, call it Spirited Away or I don't think I can like you as a person.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

5,096. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

10: anyone being a primarily english speaking person, who has never lived in Japan, who says the japanese name of an anime that has been dubbed well with a good translated title. In other words, call it Spirited Away or I don't think I can like you as a person.

I have to deal with that a lot on Anime Forums. It's rediculous.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rocko52

5,097. Posted:

^Hehe

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Captain Earth, Tonari no Seki-kun, Inferno Cop

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

5,098. Posted:

I had some extra time tonight, so I watched Orguss 02 on YouTube! All 6 episodes were posted as one long video, lol (2 hrs 48 mins).

It managed to keep me hooked all the way through, so I definitely give it a recommendation to those interested. I don't want to say too much about the story, but it has an early 20th century European-style civilization, with advanced mechs. Some great action (especially in the latter parts), lots of political intrigue, an anti-war message, and a little bit of romance await.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

5,099. Posted:

@RR529 - Glad you liked Orguss 02! I quite liked that one myself, though I did feel it could've used a bit more action, if only because what was there was so good. Also, the dub's pretty solid for a show of it's age, and even hilarious at times.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

5,100. Posted:

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~