Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 4,721 to 4,740 of 11,794

Shy_Kai

Rocko52 wrote:

@Everyone
Are Soul Eater and D. Gray Man worth watching?

I've watched some of Soul Eater and for the most part I liked what I saw (I ended up reading a lot of it). I've also read D. Gray Man up to its most current chapter and I've got to say I love it so far! I haven't tried watching the anime but I'm sure it'll be good. The plot's interesting, the main character is likeable and it's funny (not as funny as Sket Dance though).

Also @Rocko52 why don't you read manga instead of watching the animes if you're finding it difficult to make time to watch them. I had the same problem and found it less time consuming to read the anime's manga instead.

Shy_Kai

Rocko52

@Shy_Kai
Honestly, I find it easier to squeeze in TV shows. I mean, I love manga and american comics, but I somewhat prefer animation on both fronts.

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond is Unbreakable
Reading: Starting Point 1979-1996

Rocko52

^ Ya for me, I dunno. I mean, manga reading is faster individually, but I just don't think I could do that for the whole series.

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond is Unbreakable

RR529

They showcased GUNNM last night on Imagine-Nation, and I think that it's the most awesome looking manga I've seen them showcase.

It's a cyberpunk martial arts story, inspired by the styles & designs of 80's manga! It starts out with a scientist repairing a worn out female cyborg, and then she recovers, she battles off the crime in the city with an old Martian martial art she's skilled in, with aspects of her hidden past being revealed along the way.

The current arc finds her & her allies competing in a martial arts tournament, with the promise that their home will be freed from it's imperialist rule should they win.

It's supposedly catching on with fans of Ghost in the Shell & Akira.

Avatar: Kagero (FE Fates: Birthright)

Currently Playing: Front Mission Evolved

Recently Beat: Metroid Prime: Blast Ball, Dokuro, Halo Anniversary, Monument Valley

FonistofCruxis

CanisWolfred wrote:

Good God I love Naruto's forst ending theme. Seriously, the music in the series seems to be its biggest strength right now.

I love Wind too. I also love the second ending theme Harmonia.

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

RR529

Just finished the new chapter of Bleach! Pretty awesome chapter.

SPOILERS

Ichigo's dad (in the past, this is a flashback) started fighting the black humanoid hollow (which looks suspiciously like Ichigo's full hollowfied form), but was stabbed in the back by Aizen who made a surprise appearance. Masaki (Ichigo's mother) felt the strong disturbance, so headed out in the direction of the fight.

SPOILERS END

Recently Beat: Metroid Prime: Blast Ball, Dokuro, Halo Anniversary, Monument Valley

RR529

Just checked out Mobile Manga to see if they had GUNNM, but they only have the sequel...

CanisWolfred

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

^ Yeah! The first opening was really good. Much better than the second one. The third one is pretty nice though.

Yeah, but part of that is because it's got the same singer as the first opening theme, who has a great voice. Still a nice song, of course, but I greatly prefer the first one, which is so good I'm thinking of getting it for my iPod.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Mewtwo21

Just finnished watching Toaru Majutsu no Index(A certain Magical Index) and i thought it was ok certainly there was some funny parts in the show and decent action but in looking forward to Toaru Kagaku no Railgun(A certain Scientific Railgun) cause i love the opening done by Fripside and heard it was better than its parent story.

Mewtwo21

Nintendo Network ID: Mewtwo21

Rocko52

So far I've watched 2 episodes of Bleach, although I like it I feel like I'm pulling myself into a dense, web of episodes that won't let me go for a looong time...

Retro_on_theGo

CanisWolfred wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

^ Yeah! The first opening was really good. Much better than the second one. The third one is pretty nice though.

Yeah, but part of that is because it's got the same singer as the first opening theme, who has a great voice. Still a nice song, of course, but I greatly prefer the first one, which is so good I'm thinking of getting it for my iPod.

I highly recommended you do. I did. It's a wonderful song.

CanisWolfred

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I highly recommended you do. I did. It's a wonderful song.

Done and done.

Also, I listened to a few songs ahead. I'm really warming up to the 6th opening...so the first opening is great, the third opening is nice, and the 6th opening is really good - Just like how the openings in One Piece went. That can't be a coincidence...

I swear, if the 4th ending theme is better than all those songs I'm gonna scream.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

RR529

I've done a lot of thinking, & I think I've finally pinpointed why I prefer 80's & 90's anime to modern anime.

It's not that I enjoy all 80's & 90's anime more, it's that I enjoy the themes & styles in fantasy shonen titles of the time, more than modern fantasy shonen titles.

With the exception of Dragon Ball (Z), all the big fantasy series of the time (or at least all that I was into) were rooted in traditional japanese mythology, themes, style, ect (Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, InuYasha, and even Tenchi Muyo!), while in contrast, most modern fantasy series that I've ran into, are more western in terms of worlds, with the exceptions of Naruto & Bleach (although their interpretations of Japanese lore/themes are much more loose & stylized). Also, although the older series' all have their goofy/humorous moments, they never got too outlandishly goofy in terms of character design, costume design, or abilities (in contrast to some of the Bankai abilities in Bleach, and the overall very stylized appearances you'll find in One Piece, Soul Eater, Fairy Tail, and Naruto to a lesser extent). Furthermore, all the 80's & 90's series' I mentioned beforehand, had some connection/interaction with the real world (despite going to fantastical places, Tenchi, Kagome, & Yusuke all started out as people leading normal lives, and oftentimes would still interact with the normal world, & hind their secret from it). In contrast, that dynamic is lost in newer fantasy series, which almost all exclusively take place in their fantasy realms (with the exception of Bleach).

That's not to say I completely dislike modern fantasy series, though. I loved Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (and the original series), but to it's credit, although it takes place in it's own world, I've found it to be much less outlandish in terms of style than it's brethren. Also, despite my grievances with these modern series, I've found myself highly enjoying Soul Eater (which is probably due to how well it's made), and Bleach (which is closest to the last gen of series, in terms of how it feels, IMO).

Also, it's only fantasy series which have changed to my general distate. I've generally enjoyed modern sci-fi series, such as Deadman Wonderland, Gundam 00, Eureka 7, & Ghost in the Shell (both series), just as much as older sci-fi series, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Outlaw Star, Appleseed (movie), G Gundam, & Gundam Wing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic