General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 4,381 to 4,400 of 10,056

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,381. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

I know we've done this before, but what are some of everyone's favorite series?

I'll do a top 10:

1. Mobile Suit Gundam - Best Sci-fi war story/coming-of-age story featuring mecha
2. One Piece - Best long running Action/Adventure ever
3. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Most perfectly balanced anime
4. Gurren Lagann - coolest and most empowering anime featuring giant robots
5. Sgt. Frog - Funniest dubbed anime ever
6. GaoGaiGar + GoaGaiGar Final - I swear, this was a big inspiration for Gurren Lagann
7. Kaiba - Best surreal anime with a heavy use of symbolism and dark undertones
8. After War Gundam X - Fantastic mecha in a postapocalyptic world with hopeful and romantic undertones
9. Dragonball - Second best long-running action/adventure anime, though make up your own ending when you get to DBZ.
10. FLCL - Great surreal anime about growing up. Also has fantastic music.

Honorable Mentions (AKA Anime I need to watch more of): Fang of the Sun Dougram, Armored Trooper Votoms, and Legend of The Galactic Heroes.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,382. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
I've been meaning to watch Bleach, Dragonball, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Gundam.
However, there are so many iterations of the latter two that I have trouble discerning what to watch. I've also heard the dub of One Piece is pretty bad.

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage

Konata

4,383. Posted:

Konata wrote:

Here are my top five: (not in any order.)
~Lucky Star: First anime that got me into anime watching.
~Ranma 1/2: Second anime I've ever watched, took me a month To go through the whole series. It was worth it.
~Ouran HSHC: Everything about it just makes me laugh.
~Angel Beats: First really dramatic anime I ever watched, I loved it.
~The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya: I really enjoyed this anime, I watch it over and over again.
~Sgt. Frog: Seriously who wouldn't like this anime?
I love Giroro and Natsumi.

Dang it, I forgot to add Sgt. Frog.
Lets make it a top 6 x3.

I'm sorrryy I keep disappearing >_<.
Visit my K-Pop lair!
My favorite k-pop songs Come Listen!

3DS Friend Code: 5284-2709-9903 | Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter: SherrSamala

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,384. Posted:

@Konata
I get the feeling I should watch Sgt. Frog too? (Sigh, I've really got a lot ahead, don't I?)

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

AuthorMessage

GuardianKing

4,385. Posted:

I hate Evangalion. Can i just say that?

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage

Konata

4,386. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@Konata
I get the feeling I should watch Sgt. Frog too? (Sigh, I've really got a lot ahead, don't I?)

The best thing for me to do with anime, is make a list of what you wanna watch.
and if you start one you don't like just cross it off the list and start another.
OR, watch two different series at once. I find that helps when I get bored with one I just alternate every couple episodes.

on the Sgt. Frog matter, it's a great show to watch. Funimation does an amazing job with the dubbing.
Keroro sounds awesome x3.

Visit my K-Pop lair!

3DS Friend Code: 5284-2709-9903 | Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter: SherrSamala

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,387. Posted:

@Konata
Funimation usually does a good job.

AuthorMessage

Konata

4,388. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@Konata
Funimation usually does a good job.

I agree, if they haven't dubbed something I wanna watch, I usually watch the subs.

Visit my K-Pop lair!

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,389. Posted:

Here's the Death Note Opening 1, sorry for odd video site, it's VERY hard to find now with Viz attacking so many sites, a few months ago I'd just have looked it up on Youtube. Strangely they haven't touched any videos of the second opening....
http://welcome.pokrov.com/en/video/viwvieo/984/fimy-imultfimy...

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,390. Posted:

Anyone here seen Birdy the Mighty Decode?

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,391. Posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upHaMuO4g6c
4Kids

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,392. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
I've been meaning to watch Bleach, Dragonball, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Gundam.
However, there are so many iterations of the latter two that I have trouble discerning what to watch. I've also heard the dub of One Piece is pretty bad.

One Piece has a great dub now that Funimation is behind it. Bleach is...not so great. The anime version has too much filler. I'm gonna rewatch it someday and stop at Episode 63, where it really should've ended. Dragonball's great, though. Make sure to watch it uncut!

Fullmetal Alchemist has two different adaptions that are similar until halfway through. The Manga-faithful adaption is FMA: Brotherhood, while the show titled Fullmetal Alchemist goes becomes its own thing halfway through. You can't really go wrong with either, they're both very good. Though most seem to agree that Brotherhood is the better of the two.

As for Gundam, as I just told Retro yesterday, you can start anywhere with the main series so long as it isn't a sequel - Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, and SEED Destiny are the only true sequels. And even then, they're sorta standalone, with completely different tones and styles from their predecessors. They're the Final Fantasy of the anime world, basically. Every show is self contained, with only certtain elements conecting them together.

Normally, though, I recommend starting at the beginning with the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Not only is it a classic, and the source for much of the connecting elements throughout the franchise, but you'll then be able to watch the OVAs (08th MS Team, Stardust Memories, War in the Pocket, MS Igloo) which are arguably better than the longer series. Be warned, though: It has lower production values even anime of its day. It did not have a very good budget. I also think it has a much better english voice cast.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,393. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
Gottcha. Did Funimation redo the entire show, or just where 4Kids left off?

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,394. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Gottcha. Did Funimation redo the entire show, or just where 4Kids left off?

Entire show.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mewtwo21

4,395. Posted:

my favorite anime would be
Shakugan no Shana
K-ON!!
Madoka Magica
Full Metal Panic!
Kore wa zombie desu ka?
and just recently added to this list Psycho-Pass

Anyways are you guys looking forward to the 2013 Spring Anime Season?

Mewtwo21

3DS Friend Code: 0645-6093-0849 | Nintendo Network ID: Mewtwo21

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,396. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
Good.
Also, on Bleach I have a friend who is obsessed with Bleach, but he says to just skip over the filler.

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,397. Posted:

@Mewtwo21
I have no idea what's coming out spring 2013, so....

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,398. Posted:

Mewtwo21 wrote:

3 different mecha shows are coming out, plus the continuation of Gundam Unicorn and Code Geass: Akito The Exiled. So yes, I'm very, very excited.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,399. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
What sites would you suggest hitting up to find Gundam?

AuthorMessage

Mewtwo21

4,400. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Mewtwo21 wrote:

3 different mecha shows are coming out, plus the continuation of Gundam Unicorn and Code Geass: Akito The Exiled. So yes, I'm very, very excited.

wow guess you like mechas XD.
im looking forward to oreimo 2 , Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S , Attack on Titan, and Suisei no Gargantia .

Mewtwo21

3DS Friend Code: 0645-6093-0849 | Nintendo Network ID: Mewtwo21