General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 3,661 to 3,680 of 9,444

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,661. Posted:

The Unlimited Ended up being picked up by Crunchyroll after all. This is good news for me. Now I have at least two things I really want to watch this season.

For Lupin The 3rd fans, you may be interested to hear that Bakumatsu Gijiden Roman was also picked up by Crunchyroll. While it only shares Lupin's character designer(s), it does sound like a good show in its own right.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

3,662. Posted:

Is the ending to Future Diary (Mirrai Nikki) the same as the manga? I was reading the manga and near the end and apparently they stopped coming over? I was thinking of just continuing with the anime from where I left off in the manga.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Konata

3,663. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Kiss X Sis. Oh man. /shudders

Sgt. Frog is on Netflix. That's awesome, I think I'll finally watch it. Just need to watch two more episodes of Usagi Drop first.

Sgt frog is on Netflix now!?!?

Crap, I knew I shouldn't have stopped my subscription.

Anyhoo, has anyone watched Angel Beats?
I just started watching it and it is, VERY VERY weird.

Edited on by Konata

I'm sorrryy I keep disappearing >_<.
Visit my K-Pop lair!
My favorite k-pop songs Come Listen!

3DS Friend Code: 5284-2709-9903 | Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter: SherrSamala

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,664. Posted:

Weird? Angel Beats? Well, it gets better, at least.

@Retro_on_theGo

I just looked up the changes. It sounds as if the Manga version of the ending is much more expanded upon, while the anime leaves some stuff out. I don't see any huge changes, but I still think you'd want the Manga version if you can get it. Not sure how specific I should be, but it's all right in the Wiki.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

3,665. Posted:

@Konata Angel Beats first impression on you is weird? Well I suggest to keep watching. It's really good and has a fantastically touching ending.

@CanisWolfred (wow, I believe that's the first time I've typed out your new username...) Huh, I didn't think that kind information would be on a Wiki for some reason. I don't like checking those, so I don't go to those often. (not sure why myself.) Thanks!

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,666. Posted:

Oh yeah, that info is always on Wikis. They're also filled with incredibly detailed, spoiler-y synopsises, though, and even the "Anime and Manga differences" part is full of spoilers, so it's kinda best if you don't read them, provided you actually have any intention of watching/reading the actual show/manga. Which in this case, I didn't. :P So I was free to help out this way.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

3,667. Posted:

@Retro_on_thego You could read the rest here.

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

3,668. Posted:

ok yey thx :D

my 3DS friend code: 4468-2280-4674

i stopped playing mario kart now and moved on to luigis mansion :P

NNID(WiiU): GhostNinja1373

usually im just on miiverse(drawing) :P

AuthorMessage

Konata

3,669. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

@Konata Angel Beats first impression on you is weird? Well I suggest to keep watching. It's really good and has a fantastically touching ending.

@CanisWolfred (wow, I believe that's the first time I've typed out your new username...) Huh, I didn't think that kind information would be on a Wiki for some reason. I don't like checking those, so I don't go to those often. (not sure why myself.) Thanks!

Well now I think it's super funny/ really sad.

Im enjoying It, I don't usually watch depressing Anime's though, it makes me all depressed.

Edited on by Konata

Visit my K-Pop lair!

3DS Friend Code: 5284-2709-9903 | Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter: SherrSamala

AuthorMessage

Konata

3,670. Posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying a free trial of Hulu Plus, and I see there are tons of anime on there.

Are there any anime's I should watch?

Visit my K-Pop lair!

AuthorMessage

Jaz007

3,671. Posted:

Konata wrote:

Hey guys, I'm trying a free trial of Hulu Plus, and I see there are tons of anime on there.

I don't know if they are on there but look up Hikaru No Go and Vampire knight, both series are truly amazing.

Currently playing: inFamous: Second Son Gonna I've 100% it. Now just running around and doing the paper trail DLC.
Backlog: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Civilization 5: Gods and Kings, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,672. Posted:

Konata wrote:

Ugh...

That out of the way, there a tons. By Genre:

Action Adventure:

Trigun
One Piece
Black Lagoon
Magi (also on CR, I think)
Hellsing
Lupin The Third
Jormungand

Tournament:

None...maybe Monster Rancher...

Super Natural:

Persona 4 The Animation <- especially this!
Is This a Zombie?
Black Blood Brothers

Science Fiction:

Guilty Crown <- Definitely recommend this
Ghost in the Shell
Robotics;Notes
From The New World
Lagrange
Eureka Seven (slowest show ever, though)
Stien's;Gate (watch out for the ending)
Armatage III (Kinda old and short, though)
Kiddy Grade
Psycho-Pass

Fantasy:

Tenchi Universe
Tenchi Muyo OVA
Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar
A Certain Magical Index
Madoka Magica (also on CR)
Slayers
Bakemonogatari
Humanity Has Declined
Guin Saga
Pretear

Drama:

Waiting in the Summer <- Gotta see this! Though, it is on Crunchy roll as Ano Natsu de Matteru
Kids on the Slope (Also on Crunchyroll)
Habanai Renmei
Ai Yori Aoshi
Haganai

Comedy:

Binbogami-Ga <- Funniest show I've seen in a long time
Arakawa Under the Bidge
...I'm picky about my comedies.

Romance:

Ah My Goddess (Gotta search for this)
Toradora (also now on CR)
Kimi no Todoke (Think this is also on CR now)

Damn, they must've lost some shows. I remember them having a lot more than this. I had a hundred shows written down before...and those were just the ones that stood out...oh wait, some of them are still there, but you can't really access it from the main page. You gotta search for it.

Those lists are in order of most recommended, btw.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

3,673. Posted:

To continue with discussions that've already been dropped, here are my favorite things that I watched in 2012, such as they were:

Came out in 2012:

Kids on the Slope (One of my favorite things ever.)
Mysterious Girlfriend X (This is mostly here because I think it's the only other anime I watched that actually aired in 2012 lol.)

Came out before 2012:

Monster
Welcome to the NHK (I still haven't gotten around to finishing this; I was completely in love with it, but then scary real life things happened midway through and I just haven't managed to get back to it yet.)
Ghost Hound
Casshern Sins
Princess Jellyfish
Redline
The Secret World of Arrietty
Sword of the Stranger
Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Continued in 2012:

One Piece (Films aside, this was pretty much the only anime I watched from March through June. You can almost split last year in half between whatever new-for-me obsession was consuming my time - the 1st half of 2012 was all about One Piece, the 2nd half was all about A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones.)

Admittedly, I rarely seem to watch anime the year it comes out, which is something about me that isn't limited to just anime. I tend to just throw things that sound interesting onto my "Plan to Watch" list and then get around to actually watching them whenever I'm in the mood (be it later that same day or, in some cases, well over a year afterwards).

Sony_70 wrote:

watched all of Sword Art online on Chrunchyroll.

About to start the Space Brother anime and maybe Usagi drop. (does the anime have the daddy issues plot twist)

Also anyone else like Sentai?

Do you mean that whole icky RinXDaikichi plot that develops in the manga? No, thankfully, the anime never includes that bit.

Electricmastro wrote:

Ok, who else is excited for Punk Hazard?

Oh hells yeah, I am.

Edited on by RevolverLink

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

GreenDream

3,674. Posted:

Noein 24 episodes Anime
Lots of action. Relatively short, but better than most shonen shows, such as DBZ, Bleach, or Naruto, in my opinion. A sci-fi tale that explores existential motifs and time travel paradoxes. The main villain is fairly unique. A unique aethestic and production, especially during the fights. Lots of good orchestral/choral mix music. Fast-paced, relatively cohesive plot.

Maison Ikkoku 96 episodes Anime; Manga also available
My personal favorite. Directed by Rumiko Takahashi in the 1980s, who also directed Inuyasha. This is a slice-of-life and romantic comedy. Very amusing to watch all the characters interact. A quasi-realistic 80's Japan setting. Many characters are very well fleshed-out. Even if you don't typically like romance, this is definitely one to give a try.

Barefoot Gen 10 volume Manga
If you only read one manga series in your life, LET IT BE THIS ONE. A historical fiction detailing the main character and his family after surviving the atomic bomb blast of Hiroshima, Japan during World War 2. Lots of realistic representations, many of which are very gut-wrenching. Definitely an eye-opener to anyone who still believes that using atomic bombs or any nuclear weaponry could ever possibly be justified. Focuses on how the main character does his best to help others while surviving a nuclear aftermath- not something most normal people could do. Very poignant story.

Tokyo Godfathers Movie
Directed by Satoshi Kon. The story is about 3 homeless Japanese people who find an abandoned baby, and set out to find the baby's parents. Very touching, a fitting alternative Christmas tale. Realistic representations mixed with plenty of hilarity and introspective philosophy, characteristic of Satoshi Kon's works.

The Last Exile 23 episode Anime
Amazing "postapocolyptic" sky civilization and great production values. A very political tale, with a sister and brother being the central characters. War, sacrifice, and battle tactics are featured, handled well. Very interesting twist at the end. Big emphasis on the family conflicts, for both protagonists and villains.

Now and Then, Here and There 13 episode Anime
NOT for the faint of heart. Starts out seeming cliche in episode 1, but everyone thereafter has some very brutal themes, such as child slavery/warfare, military fanaticism, rape, genocide, and a crazed lunatic who is exalted as ruler due to culture. Takes place in an alternate dimension. Really highlights the sheer resilience, humanity, and willpower of main character.

Eiken 18 volume Manga
For 18+ only. Don't be fooled by this! DO NOT look at the anime, it is terrible! The manga, while downright "abusive" of the female anatomy, has one interesting perk in it's characters. The "Eiken club" is a band of misfits. A poor family's teenagers, an orphan, a teenage genius who lives alone with parents overseas, a blind British/Chinese heir of a corporate empire, a midget who hides in a bear suit, a failure klutz teacher, and a country girl. Seeing how this band of misfits works together to accomplish amazing achievements with the assistance of a pansy, shorty, very average and shy teenager, who ironically is the most normal of the bunch, gives a hidden deeper meaning to this slapstick bonanza. Unfortunately, the author focused a bit too much on "abusive" female anatomizing...

Full Metal Panic! Manga, Anime also available
Short but sweet. Story of international anti-terrorism group, and one of it's members protecting a feisty high school girl who is believed to hold a unique strand of DNA in her body, which a certaIn terrorist group wants to utilize. Some slapstick humor, some mecha, but overall a solid plot. Plenty of espionage and action.

Metropolis Movie
Based off of the famous Osamu Tezuka's works, including Astro Boy, the issues of controlling citizenry through moral manipulation is the main theme. Tons of details. Lots of classic meets modern eye candy. Definitely dramatic, in an almost Hollywood-esque way.

The Law of Ueki Manga and Anime
A very interesting shonen show. Kind of reminiscent of The Hunger Games, in a way. However, this came out in 2002, six years before The Hunger Games was first published! Basically, a worldwide tournament decided upon by God, whoever of 100 teenagers defeats the rest becomes the next "God of the Celestial Realm". Sound strange? Ueki is a VERY strange show. Has lots of familiar shonen elements you've probably seen before; except everyone has very unique abilities! Fun to watch unfold.

Strange Dawn 13 episode Anime
Moreso serious and heavy-hearted than strange. Don't be fooled by the cover characters, and the starting story of two teenage girls warping into an alternate dimension filled with dwarfs. Lots of believable drama, despite the fantasy setting. Seeing the culture of the dwarfs, and the ways the two girls, seen as gods, culminates into a territorial war is surprisingly politically charged. Instilling a sense of overcoming our core survivalist nature as humans seems to be the core theme of this show.

Princess Mononoke Movie
A modern classic by Studio Ghibli. An attractive tale of man vs nature, man vs man, and industry/technology vs nature colliding into an everyone-for-themselves fatal war. Highlights the resilience of matriarchal societies, the frailty of nature, and the personification of industrial greed's ultimate result. Quite violent, with heads severed by arrows and bleeding animals, but not overtly grotesque.

Edited on by GreenDream

3DS Friend Code: Jade2012, 5241-1951-1094

When the cat meows at you, you don't understand. But when you meow at the cat, the cat meows back!

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

3,675. Posted:

RevolverLink wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

watched all of Sword Art online on Chrunchyroll.

About to start the Space Brother anime and maybe Usagi drop. (does the anime have the daddy issues plot twist)

Also anyone else like Sentai?

Do you mean that whole icky RinXDaikichi plot that develops in the manga? No, thankfully, the anime never includes that bit.

Oh god. OH GOOOOD!! THAT'S what happens in the manga!?!? OH GOD! >_< Oh nonononononono. Gotta mentally block that out now. Thank goodness that never happens in the anime. I'll take the cute innocent anime instead thank you! D: I still need to watch the last two episodes too. I'll do that right now.

Edit: NOOOO! Finished Usagi Drop. :( I don't want it to end. That was really cute, touching and fun. Rin and Kouki were so adorable and it was heart warming seeing Daikichi growing as a parent. I will avoid the manga like the plague and burn any and all copies I see, but I wish there was more to the anime. It was too short but I enjoyed what was there. Cute and heart warming.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

GreenDream

3,676. Posted:

The first 14 episodes of Sword Art Online were surprisingly poignant. They missed a boatload of details from the original light novel, but still very good. Every episode after that drops off a cliff and never returns the show to greatness.

Edited on by GreenDream

When the cat meows at you, you don't understand. But when you meow at the cat, the cat meows back!

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,677. Posted:

@GreenDream - Oh yeah, I remember you posting that in the top anime/manga thread. I forgot to reply to that, since I know I've watched quite a few of what you've seen.

Maison Ikkoku - I'm surprised to find someone else who saw this. I've yet to see it the whole way through, but I've quite enjoyed what I've seen. Have you seen Touch, by any chance?

The Last Exile - I love the setting and aesthetics, but the plot takes a nose dive very quickly. The sequel/remake/reimagining being even worse in that regard. Really, really wanted to enjoy it, but could not.

Now and Then, Here and There - I liked this one. Not as much as others have, but it was still pretty good. I can't remember what I disliked, though. Maybe it was a little too brutal at times?

Eiken - Too late! Already saw the anime. And I can't unsee it!!!

Fullmetal Panic - Only saw the anime. First season was boring as hell, and I didn't find it all that funny. The second half was much better, though. More plot, less stupid. I have a feeling that the Manga is more like in the middle of these two extremes?

The Law of Ueki - Only saw, like, two episodes of it. It came off as being very generic, so I stopped watching in favor of better shounen shows like Shaman King and Soul Eater (and of course One Piece). Still better than Fairy Tail or Bleach, though. Maybe someday I'll go back to it.

Princess Monoke - I know it's a fan favorite, but I just hated it. It's themes were too heavy-handed, and they're messages people have been trying to hammer into my head since I was a child, but I just don't give a damn about what they're trying to say. I also didn't find it to be that interesting a story, regardless of the themes. One of the few anime I really do still hate, even after a fairly recent rewatch.

The rest I'm greatly interested in seeing, especially Metropolis, despite my extremely mixed reactions to your personal favorites. Almost all of those are very obscure anime, and regardless of my opinions of them, it does my heart good to see someone else watching such interesting, forgotten classics.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

GreenDream

3,678. Posted:

I give a shameless plug to psgels.net. He does a ton of anime reviews and previews; all very in-depth.

Edited on by GreenDream

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,679. Posted:

GreenDream wrote:

I give a shameless plug to psgels.net. He does a ton of anime reviews and previews; all very in-depth.

I just browse through Anime News Network and Wikipedia, plus I would go to various anime anime forums, to find out about anime. It's getting to the point where I can just go with my gut and watch whatever I feel like watching.

Which reminds me: How does everyone else choose what anime to watch?
Often I'll agonize over a bunch of different shows until I finally end up giving up and stumbling upon or think of a show unrelated to the others I was thinking of, and just watch that. I should probably simplify my system soon. :P Of course, sometimes I'll actually plan out what I watch (I'll watch This first, then this next, etc.), and that can be very successful. Not sure why I don't do that more often. I may not know how to do that anymore, though...

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,680. Posted:

some people say an anime is cool and then I decide to watch it. I have to have heard something about it very recently or I'll probably forget unless I added it to my "To Watch Later" list on My Anime List.

I decided to watch Tokyo Mew Mew and Air to watch genres I haven't seen much of before. I regret those decisions. Not because either are awful but because Air's first half is awful and Tokyo Mew Mew is 52 episodes of mediocrity while teasing an interesting story that isn't developed well enough to elevate the series to being better (though at times it does really work, even when it probably shouldn't). I mean, it is kinda lame, especially from the perspective of a 22 year old guy, but the pacing's really good, it doesn't have episodes without any point (even if the attempts at character development episodes are usually really weak) and the overall story and mysteries at least have kept my interest. Also bonus points for having an environmental message that's not just "YOU HUMANS SUCK, THE END".

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/