General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 3,561 to 3,580 of 10,563

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

3,561. Posted:

well i started watching mayo chiki seems good so far :D anyone seen it?

my 3DS friend code: 4468-2280-4674

i stopped playing mario kart now and moved on to luigis mansion :P

NNID(WiiU): GhostNinja1373

usually im just on miiverse(drawing) :P

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,562. Posted:

I've heard nothing but bad things about it, so no.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

3,563. Posted:

DarkNinja9 wrote:

Didn't you say that you didn't like fanservice? hahaha

Anyway there's nothing wrong with watching a fluff series once in a while, if that's what makes you happy ^^
reminds me of that time I watched Shuffle!, although I was mostly laughing at it rather than with it. Also, tell no one that I watched Shuffle.

Edited on by Magikarp3

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

3,564. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

DarkNinja9 wrote:

Didn't you say that you didn't like fanservice? hahaha

Anyway there's nothing wrong with watching a fluff series once in a while, if that's what makes you happy ^^
reminds me of that time I watched Shuffle!, although I was mostly laughing at it rather than with it. Also, tell no one that I watched Shuffle.

well yes and no i hate the ones that over do it and its just that for that for 24/26 episodes(girls bravo -_-) this one seems ok not passing the line i guess

lol nothing wrong with shuffle :P

Edited on by DarkNinja9

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,565. Posted:

There's plenty wrong with Shuffle. You should be ashamed, Magikarp. :P J/k...about the ashamed part. It's still a pretty bad show, but I guess it'd be fun to laugh at.

When it comes to fluffy junkfood shows, I find there are better options than harem shows. Ben-To (watched this raw at first and had as good a grasp of the plot as when I switched to subtitles), Dragonauts (it's so bad, yet so fun), Highschool of the Dead (I MAED A ANIMU W1TH Z0MB13S IN IT!!!1!), and Strike Witches (The entire fate of the Earth is in the hands of bubbly school girls with Jets on their legs. BRILLIANT), all at least have some kind of plot to it, silliness that's more varied (to some degree), and they have over-the-top action scenes (that are actually fun to watch) in case you get bored with all that. Most harem shows I've seen lack any interesting action, not much plot, little action, and comedy that relies heavily on the Harem elements (odd character dynamics, main man's shyness, thinly vailed sex jokes, etc.) and kinda becomes one-note rather quickly. Honestly, I can't see myself ever watching another one anytime soon, no matter how bored I get.

Not to say I'm an expert on the subject. I think I've only seen 5 or 6 harem shows in my lifetime that weren't Tenchi, and I've never seen any of them through to the end. If fact, I can't say I've ever stayed with one long enough to see whether or not the characters develop, which I hear from Harem fans is the best part of those types of shows. Not that I'd ever find these characters believeable or relateable, nor would it be enough to keep me watching...

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

JustAnotherUser

3,566. Posted:

People of the UK.
Dragon Ball Z Kai airing on Kix.
Sky: 267
Free sat: 606.

If you can watch it (or sky+) and support anime airing in the UK.

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

AuthorMessage

V8_Ninja

3,567. Posted:

And so Sword Art Online has ended. While free users (myself included) can't see the last episode, it's a safe bet that nothing redefining happens in episode 25 because the main story has essentially ended. So yeah, that means it's time to reflect on the journey and give the final thoughts.

Disappointing.

That is what SAO was to me; disappointing. The first few episodes were close to being great; they dealt with the problems and concepts of the setting and really did give the impression that the series knew what it was doing and talking about.

And then the show turned into a generic Shounen romance empowerment fantasy.

Admittedly, the romance between Kirito and Asuna started off as decent. The strength of the relationship came out of nowhere, but there were arguments against that particular claim. This was the first disappointment, but it was a disappointment of near-total tonal shift rather than a major drop in quality.

And then the ALfheim Online arc rolled around.

At the start of the arc, I was almost rejoiced; we finally got to see the post-SAO real world, a world that experienced a deadly game where people had to entirely rewire their brain if they wanted the best possible chance of survival. "This was it," I thought. We were finally getting to the masterful piece of the show; the part where we see the near-irreversible affects SAO had on the life of its champion.

But no; it went into another direction, a far worse direction, one that would shame the show's main goal of being a romance.

Almost everyone became one-dimensional. The main villain filled the most bare and bland of evil archetypes, Asuna became the maiden to be saved, and the rest of the supporting cast failed at being more than one-note. The series even stopped caring about the logistics of its created worlds, with inconsistencies and impossibilities being stated and implied.

It really does anger me to see a show set itself for something great and then willingly jump off of the tracks right over a raven.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage

Intrepid

3,568. Posted:

@V8_Ninja I actually agree with everything you are saying about Alfheim Online. The villain was too generic, Asuna did not play a big role, and the supporting characters were just simply there. I think that they could have focused on SAO for a long time if they wanted to, but instead it went by too fast. They could have spent a hundred episodes exploring the game, mechanics, relationship, and the main villain, but oh well. It would have strayed from the light novels it was using as source material, and people would have labeled them as filler. Lose-lose situation it seems.

About episode 25, though, nothing redefining does happen, but I don't see that as necessarily bad. I thought it was nice ending. It is available on YouTube by the way.

Regarding Kirito and Asuna’s relationship, we are talking about an anime whose story arc lasts 14 episodes. In such a short amount of time, it is hard to make that gradual. The fact that it occurred late (episode 10) means that they allotted plenty of time to allow the relationship to evolve to where it is now before the end of the arc. I do agree that they should have shown more of the buildup so it didn't look like it came from out of nowhere, but they spent two years in game inside SAO, and we saw plenty of interaction between the two, as well as anything else that happened behind the scenes within those two years. Besides, if they made the relationship happen sooner or show more of the buildup, people probably would have complained that the show isn't focusing on the fighting, the game world, other characters, etc.

I also noticed the shift in tone that occurred because of their relationship, but here’s how I see it: Asuna was very afraid of being trapped and possibly dying in the game, so she masked her emotions and hid behind a tough exterior to hide her emotions from other people. Then she met Kirito and opened up to him, allowing us to see her true self. Not only would this justify the shift, but it makes her less one-dimensional.

I agree that I also felt that they should have shown more of the real world. The consequences resulting from SAO and the impact it had on the players and society as a whole would have been an interesting point of discussion.

As for the series being disappointing, I agree that there was so much more the series could have done, but for what it did I think it did well. I personally enjoyed the finale and I think the scene at the hospital was a nice touch, especially the reflection in the window.

At least half of this post is me agreeing with you, lol. I still don’t think this is a bad show; I think it is great, and I would still recommend it to people, but you have raised some good points about the show that should definitely be taken into consideration.

Edited on by Intrepid

Support the localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2!
My Zeldaloggery
Diehard Accel World fan! Check it out here.
“Incarnation isn’t about desire! It’s about hope!” – Haruyuki Arita

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,569. Posted:

It sounds like it's one of those series (well more likely what this anime is based off of rather than the anime itself), decided to do more to appeal to a larger audience after a while. But unfortunately is one of those cases where they sacrificed what they had instead of being the same series but done in a more "mainstream" way. And you can do that, my favorite anime has kinda sorta done that, FMA Brotherhood apparently does that. Hayate the Combat Butler should be studied by people who want to do stuff like this, since it did a brilliant job at this in the manga.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

JustAnotherUser

3,570. Posted:

DarkNinja9 wrote:

I have seen it and I very much enjoyed it.

JustAnotherUser

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,571. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It sounds like it's one of those series (well more likely what this anime is based off of rather than the anime itself), decided to do more to appeal to a larger audience after a while. But unfortunately is one of those cases where they sacrificed what they had instead of being the same series but done in a more "mainstream" way. And you can do that, my favorite anime has kinda sorta done that, FMA Brotherhood apparently does that. Hayate the Combat Butler should be studied by people who want to do stuff like this, since it did a brilliant job at this in the manga.

Actually, from what I'm told by someone who imported the original novels, it may have been that they tried to cram too many books in one season, especially when the first one was really the best. They skipped over or rushed some important stuff while including stuff they could've easily have left out, too. Chances are they should've focused more on the first book, and fleshed that out to the full 25 episodes, before they moved on to later material. Whatever happened to shows being 50+ episodes long, anyways?

But yeah, the book series probably tried to appeal to a broader audience and failed in that regard, hence why the first book is considered the best, and why it started with such potential.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

3,572. Posted:

TwilightPoint wrote:

DarkNinja9 wrote:

I have seen it and I very much enjoyed it.

:o least now i know im not the only one felt like i was the only one standing out :(

but do you know any others that are similar or that you liked as well?(doesnt need to be that genre either) :)

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,573. Posted:

almost forgot to catch up with the Thundercats and Symbionic Titan episodes

this is relevant because TOONAMI!1!!

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,574. Posted:

@DarkNinja9

Any chance you've seen Tenchi Muyo (any series) or perhaps even Martian Successor Nadesico?
Or Bombshells From The Sky, Negima?!, Infinite Stratos, Ichigo 100% (Strawberry 100%), or Tears to Tiara?
Or He is My Master, Love Hina, or Rosaio + Vampire?

And has anyone else here seen Irresponsible Captain Tylor? It's one of the best anime comedies I've seen, with enough story to keep me going, and a lot of humor I actually found funny (though still some cringe-worthy idiocy to keep it from being perfect). 'Course, I also liked the characters, especially Tylor. I couldn't tell if that guy was a complete idiot or a total genius. Loved it.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,575. Posted:

Watched Gundam UC episode 5, finally. While I greatly enjoyed it, it felt very rushed this time. A lot of things felt like they could've been fleshed out more, like the Argama's dislike of the Vist Foundation, Bright's decision to help out a kid he just met, and work with Neo-Zeons. Also could've used some more downtime between the last three major events. They also needed to explain that glowing light and the "resonance shock"(?) for fans who aren't super in depth with the series. I understood it, but seriously, no explanation at all? Other than that, though, great plot twists, lots of fun battles that didn't quite feel overblown. I don't think they introduced more than 2 Mobile Suits that we hadn't seen before in this show, but one of them was the Banshee, so that makes up for it. Not like we really need that much more, anyways.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Bobhobob

3,576. Posted:

Just finished Soul Eater on my new Wii U
gawd it was so amazing
Untitled
... fools.

is rly good

Nintendo Network ID: bobhobob

AuthorMessage

Arianabtd

3,577. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
I just finished the first episode of Irresponsible Captain Tylor...
I have no idea what to say xD
It was pretty halarious, but Tylor is either really smart. Or something is seriously wrong with his head.

Can't wait to finish the series.

-Idolmasterrrrrr-
Sir Zacharias Barnham is my new husband.
Konata -> Arianabtd

Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter: Arianabtd

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

3,578. Posted:

I should re-watch Soul Eater again sometime. Or at least the Excalibur episodes.

Also, before last week, I was busy re-watching Evangelion for the first time in well over a decade - and I liked it a lot more than I remembered liking it back in the day (I still didn't particularly care for Shinji, though). And holy crap, End of Evangelion was one heck of a mind freak.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,579. Posted:

Konata wrote:

@CanisWolfred
I just finished the first episode of Irresponsible Captain Tylor...
I have no idea what to say xD
It was pretty halarious, but Tylor is either really smart. Or something is seriously wrong with his head.

Can't wait to finish the series.

I know what you mean! XD Hope you like the rest, it's really good.

RevolverLink wrote:

I should re-watch Soul Eater again sometime. Or at least the Excalibur episodes.

Also, before last week, I was busy re-watching Evangelion for the first time in well over a decade - and I liked it a lot more than I remembered liking it back in the day (I still didn't particularly care for Shinji, though). And holy crap, End of Evangelion was one heck of a mind freak.

I've seen Evangelion 3 times, and it only gets better the more I watch. End of Evangelion only gets worse, though. Calling it a mind freak is actually putting it lightly...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RR529

3,580. Posted:

Toonami Saturday night!

Bleach - Missed

Naruto - This was a pretty good/funny episode. Looks like they've completed their training.

ThunderCats - A pretty good episode, but they should have spread this out over at least two episodes, because there was so much going on all at once (big invasion, Panthro vs Grune, Lion-O & Tigra vs Mummra for a key item), and it all went by too quick.

Samurai 7 & Sym-Bionic Titan - Took a Paper Mario: Sticker Star break, lol.

Eureka 7 - Holy crap, Renton just went crazy on those mechs (lots & lots of robot blood).

Tenchi Muyo GXP - Okay, I know this series is going to have "that" kind of humor, but this episode really over did it. The original Tenchi was a much more intelligent/engaging show (they never finished the OVA series originally on Toonami, so I'll never understand why they picked up GXP, instead of getting the original series & finally finishing it out).

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)